Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > Archives > General Messages > Non 3DR Game Discussion

Old 11-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #241
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Re: Mass Effect 3 announcement trailer
Yeah... possibly the one character in the game I had absolutely no interest in. Personally, I thought she was very forgettable in Mass Effect 2, and could care even less when she popped up in 3.

But, game is long since uninstalled. And I don't see any reason to reinstall it.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Dying Light, Hellraid, Dead Island 2, FarCry 4
Old 11-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #242
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetalJacket View Post
The Omega DLC is finally out! I don't care what anyone else says; I still love the hell out of this game.

Kotaku review- http://kotaku.com/5963744/mass-effec...-kotaku-review
You and I think very much alike.

I still play Mass Effect 3 regularly, but I don't talk about it here that much, because the ending wasn't really popular with some.

I kept changing my mind on whether to include my long post, but at the end, I decided to leave it out. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter whether others didn't enjoy the ending. I happen to like it. That's all that matters.

I mean I did a 35 hour playthrough and by the time I got to the ending, I knew what was going on. It made perfect sense. You can technically finish this game in 15 hours, but then you'll miss all the hints that explain the ending. They pretty much said this game has around 40 hours of actual content. Not just the campaign or side missions.

I figure instead of writing that long post, that I'd just make it short and sweet. This video will basically explain the ending in less than 3 minutes using actual evidence from the game. I made the video and the evidence about as clear as the water in the presidium pond.

Longer versions are here and here

The developers are even on board with this. I'd say that's about as close as an official confirmation as you can get.

Quote:
I get sick and tired of people talking about Inception having an open ending. It doesn't. All major character arcs get resolved. The end.
No closure? You might want to read this or watch this video. Don't mind the titles or the content in them. I didn't write or make those.

The next DLC that is coming out is rumored to the final DLC for the game with every writer working on it and will wrap up the trilogy. After that, they're moving onto Mass Effect 4 which is currently in production.

Spoiler:
Last edited by Jeff; 11-30-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #243
FullMetalJacket
So the new DLC is great. It doesn't add to the mythology in the way Leviathan did, but it's a lot of fun with some very interesting and satisfying combat environments. Plus, it's good to stomp around Omega again. And you get some powerful new guns and bonus powers!

"My father would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy; the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament."
Old 12-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #244
ZuljinRaynor

Mass Effect 4 on Frostbite 2 is bad news.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #245
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
Mass Effect 4 on Frostbite 2 is bad news.
How so? I was hoping they'd use Unreal 4 or something.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #246
KO Gilligan

Quote:
So the new DLC is great. It doesn't add to the mythology in the way Leviathan did, but it's a lot of fun with some very interesting and satisfying combat environments. Plus, it's good to stomp around Omega again. And you get some powerful new guns and bonus powers!
Sounds like something to go on the top of my to do list
Old 12-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #247
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

That's the only positive thing I've read about the new DLC.
Everyone else I've talked to about it... has had nothing nice to say about it. The "nicest" comment was "It's f**king terrible, but... it's probably only slightly worse then Mass Effect 2's worse DLC. Maybe, no... it's worse."

Old 12-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #248
Jeff

Omega wasn't like LOTSB or Leviathan, however, there were some side stories for it in the novels:

Spoiler:

People specifically asked for a DLC where you could take Omega back from Cerberus alongside Aria, and that's exactly what they got. The fact that they are complaining about something that they specifically asked to be put into the game is ludicrous.

I pretty much stand on my point that future content for this game will be developed in what Bioware has planned. And also not to redo the ending based on what a small vocal minority wants. Twice, they have tried to please fans (with the Extended Cut, and Omega), and twice have fans been upset about it. It's like burning money. These people probably don't understand that something like Omega cost millions of dollars to make (or maybe a couple hundred thousand at the least).

I'm going a bit nuts about this, but I do bring up a valid point.

There was a guy who made a happy ending mod and those who didn't like the original ending or the Extended Cut went nuts over this. I personally think it makes less sense, but it's kind of sad that the only reason those are upset (least on the official forums) is the lack of a happy ending. This is war. There is no happy ending to a war story. There's no Starchild at least.

Spoiler:

Quote:
You're not getting what I'm saying.
The ending... ENDING. The final few minutes of ME3 is the same. No matter how you play the game. Paragon or Renegade.
I'm fully aware that the games play differently based on how you play. But the ending to the trilogy, the ending of ME3 doesn't.
People weren't honestly expecting 500 different variations of endings were they? Isn't it weird that no one complained about how Mass Effect 1 & 2's endings didn't take into account all the choices, but now they are all up in arms about it. This is what would have happened. Honestly not the way to end a story.

Spoiler:

People couldn't expect them to take every single choice that was made along the way and have that somehow affect the ending of the third game. It affects how the story plays out, like you said, but not the ending. They said there was a thousand different variables going into the third game so, 1000 ^ 1000 is a million different endings.

This would be a three disc game and would cost well over $100. Sometimes I think that gamers expect too much from developers. Wasn't like this until recently. Could be a generational thing. Back in the 1990s, games were much more expensive than they were today. So if people were expecting the kinds of things they were, you wouldn't get that kind of entertainment for $60. You'd have to pay over $100 or more for it. Games are also harder to make than they were back then as well. Surprised they weren't $200 for the kinds of stuff people are asking.

At some point though, the developers have to draw the line and people have to start using their imaginations a bit. The best sci-fi does not spoon feed information as well as tie up everything. It does leave some of that up to the users imagination.

People are probably going to be still going on about this 5 years from now. Even 10 years from now I'd bet.

Gotta say, there's just no pleasing these people.

Even if they did have choices affect the ending (which they did, just not every single choice in the trilogy), if people didn't get a conventional victory, war asset DLC, blue babies or a boss fight with Harbinger, they'll ask for that next. It never ends.
Last edited by Jeff; 12-02-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #249
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Why the hell did you bring up the ending again? Nobody said anything about it... and other then you, I doubt anyone even cares enough anymore to continue to discuss it.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #250
ZuljinRaynor

No one cares anymore but I will humor you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
There was a guy who made a happy ending mod and those who didn't like the original ending or the Extended Cut went nuts over this. I personally think it makes less sense, but it's kind of sad that the only reason those are upset (least on the official forums) is the lack of a happy ending. This is war. There is no happy ending to a war story. There's no Starchild at least.
I don't think you understand what a happy ending would be in relation to Mass Effect.

Mass Effect 1 had a happy ending. There was death, and destruction, but the end was relatively happy to what happened. It could have gone much worse.

Mass Effect 2 can give you a happy ending, if you survive the mission completely or have relatively few loses. Some people would say that is happy. Everyone dying is the bad end.

That same ending could have been in Mass Effect 3.

War can have endings that are happy. Happy is relative.

Quote:
This would be a three disc game and would cost well over $100.
It already does after all the DLC!

Quote:
Sometimes I think that gamers expect too much from developers. Wasn't like this until recently. Could be a generational thing. Back in the 1990s, games were much more expensive than they were today.
LOL INFLATION ARGUMENT. OMG GAMES WERE MORE EXPENSIVE BACK IN THE DAY. You're that guy from IGN who made that terrible video aren't you? That explains a lot why you have such bad opinions.

Quote:
So if people were expecting the kinds of things they were, you wouldn't get that kind of entertainment for $60.
Yes you would. Spend less time making a stupid Multiplayer mode.

Quote:
You'd have to pay over $100 or more for it. Games are also harder to make than they were back then as well. Surprised they weren't $200 for the kinds of stuff people are asking.
I don't you understand how anything works, really.

Also if they didn't blow how many million they blew on TORtanic, then they would've had more money to work on Mass Effect.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #251
Jeff

Quote:
Mass Effect 1 had a happy ending. There was death, and destruction, but the end was relatively happy to what happened. It could have gone much worse.

Mass Effect 2 can give you a happy ending, if you survive the mission completely or have relatively few loses. Some people would say that is happy. Everyone dying is the bad end.

That same ending could have been in Mass Effect 3.

War can have endings that are happy. Happy is relative.
The fact that it doesn't have a happy ending makes it realistic. Do you expect that a bunch of primitive organics to beat a hyper advanced machine race and ride off into the sunset? Before people say that Reapers were only invincible until Mass Effect 3, think again. It's always been like that. Society is going downhill if they were expecting this.

Quote:
You're that guy from IGN who made that terrible video aren't you? That explains a lot why you have such bad opinions.
Oh, and the guys who review-bomb Metacritic are right? Look, fans aren't the only ones with honest reviews. I hate to bring that up again. These are the same fans who abused Bioware's staff and threatened their families if they didn't get what they want. Not sure if you heard about the families part.

Like I said, there's a proper way to complain and the wrong way. The way the fans dealt with it sounded really childish.

Quote:
Also if they didn't blow how many million they blew on TORtanic, then they would've had more money to work on Mass Effect.
Have you heard of something called a budget, Zuljin? In any business, you can't just put whatever you feel like in there. Otherwise, Mass Effect 3 would cost 100 million to make or more, rather than it's original budget. If you spent more than you are allowed, that's called a deficit, and if you keep spending more than you have, you go bankrupt. Besides, I'm kind of getting this "EA hate" vibe from you. Started since Dragon Age 2 was released. Regardless of whether you liked Mass Effect 3, minus the ending and a few other things, you have been quite bitter about EA and Bioware. So instead of buying more of their games (Mass Effect 4, Dragon Age 3, etc), maybe you should find a new developer and publisher to support. Otherwise, stop complaining and deal with it. Companies are in business to make money, not to please a small minority of fans who didn't like how their favorite game franchise ended up.

Sorry, but I'm letting you know my opinion.
Last edited by Jeff; 12-02-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:46 AM   #252
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
Why the hell did you bring up the ending again? Nobody said anything about it... and other then you, I doubt anyone even cares enough anymore to continue to discuss it.
It goes straight to the point of not caring what other people think about the DLC. It's obvious that the vast majority of people who have been vocal about this game are total idiots. It'll give me enjoment just knowing others are still gnashing their teeth about the cohesion of the story or something. Mass Effect 3 wasn't the game of the year, IMO, but it was pretty good.

Regarding Dragon Age 2. That was a franchise money grab by Bioware and EA. One of those way too frequent occasions where they took really stinky poop, put it in the box disguised as the latest product of our favorite franchise, and they got us to buy it. Get home with it - SURPRISE - it's poop in a box. EA earns it's criticism far too frequently. It's obvious they know most gamers are mindless sheep, and we'll throw $60 at them if they command us to.
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 12-03-2012 at 03:56 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #253
ZuljinRaynor

Expecting an ending like Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 in Mass Effect 3 means people are idiots. Amazing.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #254
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Expecting an ending like Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 in Mass Effect 3 means people are idiots. Amazing.
No - I was not calling you an idiot. As a matter of fact, I didn't like the ending either. The game was OK in my opinion, but I thought the whole final fight on the street - protecting the rocket launchers or whatever - was one of the worst ideas ever. I have issues with the game myself.

But people are acting like idiots. Remember the end of Cloverfield? What the hell - the monster obviously wins and probably destroys the earth. I remember a series on TV where the water beasts took over in the final episode. It's an artistic decision - and the materialization of something that makes games exciting: We don't know what the outcome will be.
I support the Mass Effect storyline - if you don't I'm OK with that... Raise hell about it even - but please keep it in perspective of what's actually wrong with the game.

The problem was that the Mass Effect fans went over the top with hatred of the game in general, and I believe there is no way that they will subjectively review the new DLC.

All three games were good - they were worth the money in game mechanics and action - but the game had a very controversial storyline. Dislikable even. That's it, end of story. How can you deny the reasonable scope of the issue?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #255
December Man

At this point I couldn't care less about the ending when the rest of the game sucks as well. Even if the ending was the best thing to happen since sliced bread, the rest of it sucks monkey cocks in hell.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #256
ZuljinRaynor

I agree. Mass Effect 3 has other problems but no one cares about them or discusses them because of the ending.

My favorite part is the lack of urgency in the game.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #257
KO Gilligan

So this is about loving the gameplay aspects of the first two, yet the third is no fun to play?

Not really how I see it, but to each his own...
Old 12-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #258
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

No, it's about Zulie and my opinions being overlooked because we don't like the ending. Even though both of us have said the game is fun and we enjoyed sections of it a lot.

I had a lot of fun with Mass Effect 3. Though, it feels incredibly rushed and unfinished. And it's easily the weakest in the series. The ending was just a slap in the face that really makes it shockingly clear how rushed the game was.

To me, Mass Effect 3 feels like a step backwards in almost every way from the previous two games. From mission structure, characters, story telling, side missions... exploration and overall pacing and structure.
It's not a bad game, and as I've said countless times... it's a good game. It's just a lackluster and rather pathetic ending to the trilogy.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #259
ZuljinRaynor

Their half-assed copying of Gears of War didn't help either. Every time they copied it more but not as well and so it's this Jekyll/Hyde game.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #260
KO Gilligan

The gameplay was a step backwards. But regarding the fan reaction to the storyline, I'm reminded of the movie Misery (1990)
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 12-04-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #261
Jeff

Quote:
I had a lot of fun with Mass Effect 3. Though, it feels incredibly rushed and unfinished. And it's easily the weakest in the series. The ending was just a slap in the face that really makes it shockingly clear how rushed the game was.

To me, Mass Effect 3 feels like a step backwards in almost every way from the previous two games. From mission structure, characters, story telling, side missions... exploration and overall pacing and structure.
It's not a bad game, and as I've said countless times... it's a good game. It's just a lackluster and rather pathetic ending to the trilogy.
The ending can be explained with the codex. Some see the codex as sort of an in game guide, but some feel it's considered optional content even though it probably could have saved the fans most of the outrage. The ending is brilliant, IMO, and completely undeserving of all the hatred it got. It was actually later revealed that the fans themselves were the source of why the Bioware founders left the company. Now some might say that, it's another professional article where EA forced them to write this, but honestly, I agree with them. If the fans had handled the situation differently, and used all the resources available to them within the game instead of rushing through it, the reaction would be different. Jessica Merizan even said that people who are reacting to the ending they way they did suggests that they are reacting before having all the facts. So that says there may be more to the ending than people realize.

This ending has been more or less intact since summer 2011, perhaps before then. That's more than enough time to change things if they wanted to. Doesn't really feel like a rush job to me. A 2 hour DLC like Overlord took roughly 3 months to make, so to say that a 30 minute ending sequence would take less.

I've tried to explain it to people and provided examples of the evidence that people can see within the game, but they keep spouting back the same "Bioware didn't confirm the indoctrination theory" or whatever. Well, that's fine, but before people say that the ending is rushed or doesn't make sense from a lore standpoint, at least try to figure out why using all the resources available to you through the game (like the codex). Thing is, it's up to the player to decide with the information that Bioware themselves put into the game. They aren't going to make more DLC that confirms everything. The Leviathan DLC didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, because the information was already in the game.

Most of that hatred has come from the younger crowd (under 30) with some serious entitlement issues. I read yesterday that some guy felt the Geth arc of the story had some issues, so they wanted them to rewrite it. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

I honestly don't know how they would be able to please everyone though. I mean if you write an ending with the ultimate amount of closure, some might be upset that the writers filled in too much. Others might want to leave that open to their imagination. It's a no win situation. One side is going to be happy, while the other side is going to be upset.

Not sure how some feel the character part was cut short, I mean each of your squadmates from Mass Effect 2 got their own side story mission. I assume some wanted those squadmates as permanent. I think it was said before the game launched that squadmates would work differently in this game. If you had all the squadmates from previous games, this game would probably have 15-18 squadmates to choose from. I only picked out of maybe 4 various squadmates during Mass Effect 2.

The whole lack of exploration can sort of be seen like this. The more time people spend exploring means that the more lives the Reapers get to harvest. Now some might say that it doesn't matter that the Reapers harvest a couple billion more lives as long as there is more exploration. Since this is a war story, it's kind of seen that way. Shepard isn't out there exploring the sights this time, he's basically in a rush to save the galaxy before it gets completely harvested and devoured.
Last edited by Jeff; 12-13-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #262
FullMetalJacket
Thank you, Jeff.

"My father would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy; the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament."
Old 12-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #263
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
It was actually later revealed that the fans themselves were the source of why the Bioware founders left the company.
That's what happens when you create a turd like Dragon Age II and then follow up Mass Effect 2 with a crappier version of Mass Effect 2. Oh and don't forget TORtanic, though that was not Bioware, EA named that studio Bioware. The acquisition of Bioware by EA ruined Bioware. Anyone could have seen this coming.

Bioware brought this upon themselves. They encourage their fans fall in love with the universe, to be creepy and to love the characters they make. So then they don't please the people they encouraged to be like this, they get the reaction they got.

Bioware only has itself to blame. They created all the people who wanted to do Tali or Garrus. They encouraged the creepy behavior. They encouraged participation in the universe. They did all of this. Then they make an ending that's not going to please the people they set up.

Bioware isn't good at writing. The dialog is cringe worthy. Especially in Dragon Age II. They just want to write trashy novels and put it in games so they can put in nude blue ladies or horrible animated sex scenes like in Dragon Age II.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #264
KO Gilligan

I can't even put Dragon Age II on the same level as other games. I actually played it fist after getting both in a bundle. A friend told me the first one was better, but I had no idea the difference between the two games.

Mass Effect 3 was a good game. A friend at work watched a ton of you tube videos to figure out as many twisted story arcs through as he played it 6 or 7 times so he could experience the parts he missed.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #265
Jeff

There was a guy who wrote an article which took why the fans believe they are right, and went into detail on each of those points.

Another one of his articles basically shows you how big this "retake Mass Effect" movement is compared to the number of game sales. Pretty small minority I'd say. Have you guys ever heard the phrase "chaos results when a small vocal minority is allowed to rule"?

In the end though, like Chris Priestly said, some people just weren't able to be satisfied, so like with any business, if you aren't satisfied with what you bought, you don't buy from that company again. Buying more DLC and games is just going to give them more money in order to make more content. Doesn't solve anything. Neither does being extremely vocal about it. If it goes too far, the founders basically left.

Gotta remember though, these guys are human beings too just trying to make an honest living. They have real emotions and families too. Some people seem to forget that.

If everyone who played the game had an issue with the ending, then it'd probably be worth looking at a bit more than a 10 minute extension. However, not everyone felt this way, so it seems like an isolated issue with a small group of people rather than something that affected everyone. If some managed to figure out the ending mystery, then it's not really a game issue, but more a user issue.
Last edited by Jeff; 12-21-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #266
ZuljinRaynor

The legend continues. Buy DLC.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #267
Jeff

Thank God this is a game that is made by professionals with 20 years in the business who know what they're doing (despite some objections from fans). If they let fans purely decide what's best for the game it could have been much different. The ones I've seen so far are pretty weak to say the least.
Last edited by Jeff; 12-23-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:57 PM   #268
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thank God this is a game that is made by professionals ...
That's about as far as I could make it without laughing.
After churning out Dragon Age 2 and a half assed ending to the Mass Effect series... professional doesn't work.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:20 AM   #269
Jeff

Quote:
That's about as far as I could make it without laughing.
After churning out Dragon Age 2 and a half assed ending to the Mass Effect series... professional doesn't work.
I'd like to see the fans make a better game. Based on that stuff I posted earlier, I don't think they've got the know-how to do it.

Like I said, many are reacting without knowing all the facts and that the whole ending just went over their heads. Some didn't even try to figure it out, they just took the easy way and demanded a rewrite. Bioware will never completely spell out the ending for everyone, because that ruins the point of having an ambiguous ending that makes people think. What they are doing though is providing you more hints to explain the ending. However, if people don't pick up on the hints, this is a "user issue", and not an issue with the game itself like I said.

As with some believe that EA taking over Bioware was a bad thing. It's a monopoly. Happens in business all the time. Not necessarily a bad thing. People just seem to think big corporation=evil--a common thing you hear on the internet.

People say that Bioware's game quality has gone downhill after EA took them over. That is an opinion. EA isn't as evil as people believe. They just take all the heat for everything that goes wrong.

The other thing I don't think I've mentioned is the license agreement. By clicking "I agree", people agree to use the software "as is" with all it's flaws (eg. the ending that some say), or in other words, anything that goes wrong Bioware or EA cannot be held legally accountable and that the user who installs the software is solely responsible for everything. So if someone installs the game, plays it to the end but is disappointed in how it turns out, Bioware is not responsible, because they agreed to that license agreement. Now there is that whole consumer rights thing, but you'd have to back up that the game is actually flawed or that you didn't get what was "advertised" with some pretty hard evidence. Saying the ending doesn't make sense, but not backing up why, beyond "poor writing", plot holes, when others happened to figure it out is not a reason. Someone's reasoning for "what they paid for" is a lot different than the next guy.

The whole thing protects them from lawsuits and such.

I don't think many people actually read those things (not gamers, anyone).
Last edited by Jeff; 12-24-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #270
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Jeff, pull it back.
You're gushing on and on about this... and it's getting a bit much. It's okay to be passionate about the games we care about, but... really.

No one on this forum has said anything about BioWare needing to do things "our" way, or listening to us. You're trying to convince us of something... we don't even care about.

EA sucks. BioWare... is a shadow of it's former self. Several developers are. Hell, the only studio at EA still making good products is Visceral, and I believe it's only a matter of time before EA kills them as well.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #271
ZuljinRaynor

Bioware had to fight EA to let them work on and release Dragon Age: Origins. EA didn't want it so after Bioware convinced them, they were probably told to make it run on consoles.

Then for Dragon Age II, consoles were the target platform. They made it more like Mass Effect and less like the old Infinity Engine games they were trying to be a spiritual successor to.

EA isn't evil.

At least we got Obsidian still kicking around and Project Eternity on the way.

Quote:
Thank God this is a game that is made by professionals [...]
DNF was made by professionals and we see how it turned out. So were a lot of games that are terrible.
Last edited by ZuljinRaynor; 12-24-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #272
someguy2435

Thanks for the input, Jeff
Old 12-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #273
Jeff

Quote:
Jeff, pull it back.
You're gushing on and on about this... and it's getting a bit much. It's okay to be passionate about the games we care about, but... really.

No one on this forum has said anything about BioWare needing to do things "our" way, or listening to us. You're trying to convince us of something... we don't even care about.

EA sucks. BioWare... is a shadow of it's former self. Several developers are. Hell, the only studio at EA still making good products is Visceral, and I believe it's only a matter of time before EA kills them as well.
Why do I go on about what? Mass Effect 3? I like the game. Or is that I talk about it constantly? Thing is that's just how it works with me. If I'm not talking about Mass Effect 3, I went on about insane executive bonuses for months. Drove everyone nuts. I've always been like this.

Aside from EA, what publisher would you choose? Activision, Microsoft? They've done similar things. People call MS M$, Activision was believed to have degraded WoW into a carnival fun ride for the masses. There's only so many publishers to go around, and as a game developer like Bioware, you need one with lots of money in order to publish or fund the kind of games Bioware makes.

Most game companies can't fund a game all by themselves, kind of like how the provincial government can't fund enough money to make a huge project, so they ask the feds who have more money to help them.

Thing I don't honestly get Damien, is that people all over the internet go on about "EA killed my favorite game", etc, but they keep buying from EA or that developer (eg. DLC). Like I said, if people feel so bad about it, they should buy from someone else. Well that wasn't me, that was Chris Priestly.

I don't know how many game publishers there are, but in an age of transnational corporations and such (non-gaming but anything), you can only go so far in terms of choice. Who knows, EA might be owned by a bigger corporation. Kind of like how Vivendi who owns Activision who owns Blizzard. Or in terms of food where one company owns 150 smaller ones.
Last edited by Jeff; 12-24-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #274
KO Gilligan

Never mind... not an EA game....
Old 12-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #275
ZuljinRaynor

Vivendi doesn't own Activision who owns Blizzard. Vivendi owns Activision Blizzard, Inc who is the main company and Activision and Blizzard the subsidiaries of Activision Blizzard.

And Blizzard ruined WarCraft on their own. Still waiting for WarCraft 4.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #276
Jeff

Yeah like I said, people think big corporations are evil who take over smaller companies.

That's just how the world works today. Not likely to change, so people should get used to it. We don't live in the 1800s anymore. The world has evolved.

If people think I talk too much about it (eg. spamming), I had an idea. Is it possible to just ban me from the thread? Not the entire forum, but just the thread?
Last edited by Jeff; 12-24-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #277
8IronBob

Hard to believe that Microsoft hasn't been as much in the spotlight as EA and Activision Blizzard have been. Not sure how things have been going in terms of which game studios have been plummeted in quality from them recently.
PC Specs: Antec 900 ATX Case, Gigabyte 790GX Mobo, AMD Phenom II x4 955, EVGA 2GB GTX 680, Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600, 160GB X25-M SSD, 500GB+640GB WD Caviar Blacks, 8x LG Blu-ray burner, 3D Vision 2 Kit/3DTV Play, Toshiba TL32515U, Logitech Z-2300 Speakers, DAS Pro K/B, Logitech MX518 Mouse, Win 7 Pro x64, Wacom Bamboo Fun Tablet.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #278
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post
Hard to believe that Microsoft hasn't been as much in the spotlight as EA and Activision Blizzard have been. Not sure how things have been going in terms of which game studios have been plummeted in quality from them recently.
They did turn Microsoft Flight Simulator from a 30 year franchise into an arcade game for the masses. Got canned 6 months later, which means MS is done with flying games for the most part. Flight may be canned, but there's still tons of people who support FSX as well as develop add-ons for it.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #279
FullMetalJacket
The final single-player DLC-- Citadel-- is very well done. Probably the best DLC since ME2's Shadow Broker.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #280
Jeff

Quote:
The final single-player DLC-- Citadel-- is very well done. Probably the best DLC since ME2's Shadow Broker.
It was also very fun.

Plus a bunch of other things in there which were a little subtle that most people probably didn't pick up on.

Spoiler:
Last edited by Jeff; 03-19-2013 at 05:39 PM.