Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Modifications
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-20-2000, 08:53 PM   #1
Build and killer teleporters
Build supports copy/paste function for sectors. It makes it possible to transfer parts of levels from different map files. There is a limit on it, however. Is it a limit on number of sectors, on size of sector(s), is it both or something else?

I can use my Build for Duke3D 1.4/1.5 to make maps for Duke3D 1.4/1.5 AS WELL AS Duke3D 1.3 However, in my map there was some kind of the bug when in Duke3D 1.3 walking on TOUCHPLATE will LOCK ACTIVATORLOCKED, instead of UNLOCKING it in Duke3D 1.4/1.5
Unfortunately I can't provide you a map on this one, because it will be used in a TC. Still, any ideas why this might be happening?

<Most probable answer will be 'Because you should use Build for v1.3', but my previous maps worked on Duke3D v1.3 without any bugs - to the best of my knowledge>

Teleporting to narrow sector will kill player. But sometimes it will kill the game. Any ideas?

Thank you.

[This message has been edited by JustSomeGuy (edited 08-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by JustSomeGuy (edited 08-20-2000).]

Old 08-20-2000, 09:36 PM   #2
TerminX

Re: Build and killer teleporters
Don't make a TC for 1.3D, theres an idea.

But in all seriousness, I believe that version isn't even supported by Apogee/3D Realms anymore because they only support the newest version of their games(I'm pretty sure Joe said that somewhere.) Now if thats true, isn't that a bit unfair since you have to pay to upgrade to 1.4?

-TX
Old 08-21-2000, 04:34 AM   #3
cyborg

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JustSomeGuy:
Build supports copy/paste function for sectors. It makes it possible to transfer parts of levels from different map files. There is a limit on it, however. Is it a limit on number of sectors, on size of sector(s), is it both or something else?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You ever bothered to look at the little numbers at the bottom of the 2D screen that shows this information?

------------------
Duke Nukem Resources for Totalconversions and Modifications
Old 08-21-2000, 01:24 PM   #4
Little yellow numbers on the left bottom corner? Yes I did. They show the number of sectors, walls and sprites and limit to OVERALL number of them, not the limit to INTER-LEVEL COPY/PASTE. cyborg, please read my message more carefully.

Maybe there is no limit besides overall limit, but after copying 500 sectors the screen became messed up and filled with 'snow'. After an immediate attempt to load another map Build 'froze up'.

Old 08-21-2000, 04:01 PM   #5
Usurper

The 1024 sector limit includes the copy buffer. So if you take a 1000-sector map and try to copy 500 of those for use in another map, you'll suddenly have 1500 sectors and crash the map.
Old 08-21-2000, 04:13 PM   #6
cyborg

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JustSomeGuy:
Little yellow numbers on the left bottom corner? Yes I did. They show the number of sectors, walls and sprites and limit to OVERALL number of them, not the limit to INTER-LEVEL COPY/PASTE. cyborg, please read my message more carefully.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read it perfectly - you however didn't realise that the cut and paste system is included in those limits.

------------------
Old 08-21-2000, 06:49 PM   #7
Yup, already realised that. Sorry, cyborg. But that will mean that there IS a limit to copy/paste - max.512 sectors, although it is not exactly what I thought it is.

Old 09-06-2000, 06:29 PM   #8
Hold on. How do I do a copy-pased in build. I know how to select but ctrl c and p dont work.

Old 09-06-2000, 07:33 PM   #9
cyborg

Ugh. CTRL C and P aren't even window standard commands for cut and paste.

Use insert.

------------------
Old 09-06-2000, 10:30 PM   #10
Matteus
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cyborg:
Ugh. CTRL C and P aren't even window standard commands for cut and paste.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, they are standard in Windows. (but it's CTRL+V for paste). CTRL+X is 'cut'.

These work in any standard Windows text control.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/bo...uide/appxB.htm

These originated from the Mac, where it was (is) 'command'+c and 'command'+v, etc.

------------------
Matt Saettler
-The Last Person on Earth who can compile Duke(TM)
Old 09-07-2000, 01:44 AM   #11
Ding Bat

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rick Hunter:
Hold on. How do I do a copy-pased in build. I know how to select but ctrl c and p dont work.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While in 2D mode, place the cursor at a corner of the sector(s) you want to copy, hold down the ALT key then drag the mouse to the opposite corner enclosing the sector in green, release the mouse button and the ALT key.

Place the cursor within the green area, then with the left mouse button depressed, hit the Insert key, that copies the sector to memory.

Now with cursor within the green area, depress the left mouse button and drag the copied sector to where you want.

Also...after making your copy, if you want it in another map, just load the new map and it will be at the same coordinates as the original map. Then drag it with the mouse as before.
Old 09-07-2000, 06:01 AM   #12
cyborg

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Matteus:
Actually, they are standard in Windows. (but it's CTRL+V for paste). CTRL+X is 'cut'.

These work in any standard Windows text control.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/bo...uide/appxB.htm

These originated from the Mac, where it was (is) 'command'+c and 'command'+v, etc.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Matteus - you just confirmed what I said. Ctrl C is NOT cut and Ctrl P is NOT paste.

------------------
Old 09-07-2000, 02:57 PM   #13
Sorry. I dident meen to put ctrl-p
And thanks Ding bat!

------------------
Rick Hunter