Re: Earth No More - New 3DR IP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Meat View Post
E3 No More.

Video: Point of View GeForce 8800 GTX 768 MB
Old 07-12-2007, 02:22 AM   #163
vcatkiller

Honestly, saw this thread starting with Earth No More ending with the letters RIP and thought "Already? That was fast!" Then remembered the thead. Time for them new glasses methinks.

Yeah a little too early to think e3. Maybe next year? Or the year after. (I'd say the second more likely than the third) What's the point in showing something where there's nothing much to show?
Old 07-12-2007, 09:54 AM   #164
Nacho

Well I don't think it's to early. How long do we know they've been working on it?
Old 07-12-2007, 09:59 AM   #165
JobivanHiob

Recoil Games was founded around November 2006. So Earth No More is about 9 months old.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:50 PM   #166
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobi-Wan Kenobi View Post
Recoil Games was founded around November 2006. So Earth No More is about 9 months old.
Well my guess is that 3dr gave them money so they could license a engine, so it possible that they could have something to show. But I doubt they would be at e3, you need money to do such things and they are probably atleast a year from completion.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:00 AM   #167
Travis

well, this sounds interesting.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:13 PM   #168
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antosa View Post
Earth No More is or not at E3?
Why would it be? Bit early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobi-Wan Kenobi View Post
That's assuming game development was going on since Day 1 of the formation of the company. You can't assume that.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 07-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #169
Kristian Joensen

Yeah you are right, depending on what you mean by "development"(That is what phase you are referring, production or not), it might have started even a bit earlier

Edit:

Quote:
Why would it be? Bit early.
Exactly, it is weird seeing people expecting this at E3, when Scott said that even the announcement of the games very existence was a bit early and that they where gonna keep quiet for a while.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:56 PM   #170
JobivanHiob

yes that's wasn't realistic. but 6 months sound good too. The true date of dev start we'll not know until somebody from Recoil or 3DR tells us.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:09 AM   #171
JobivanHiob

new interview
http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=168109
Old 07-17-2007, 10:31 AM   #172
alexgk

Disaster Done Right

Old 07-18-2007, 11:33 AM   #173
DavoX

What do you mean with that?
Old 07-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #174
JobivanHiob

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgk View Post
Disaster Done Right

Every box of Earth No More includes a special Dance Dance Revolution Edition called:
DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION DISASTER
it's a control devise...you never need again your mouse and keyboard
Old 07-18-2007, 06:08 PM   #175
alexgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoX View Post
What do you mean with that?
Just joking around with the game slogan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobivanHiob View Post
Every box of Earth No More includes a special Dance Dance Revolution Edition called:
DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION DISASTER
it's a control devise...you never need again your mouse and keyboard
LOL
Old 08-01-2007, 12:18 PM   #176
Altered Reality

Well, this is a first. Last night I had an Earth No More dream!
I was walking through a wasteland with wide patches of red weed giving out some kind of glowing radiation. The weather was cold, the sky was full of dark, swirling clouds. I was with other people and we were all wearing slightly futuristic military gear. I started to hear a repeated flapping sound becoming louder and louder, as if a flock of big birds was approaching us. But there was absolutely nothing I could see that could make that sound! Seconds later, something invisible started to eat one of my teammates alive! Another of them started shooting blindly in the general direction of the invisible aggressors, while everyone else, including me, activated a portable force field generator, to protect ourselves. We reached an abandoned house nearby, but the invisible creatures proceeded to make holes in the walls and resumed their attack. I realized that my portable force field generator had failed, while the invisible creatures were wreaking total havoc inside. I panicked, thinking I'd die within seconds. Instead I woke up.
Last edited by Altered Reality; 08-01-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:08 AM   #177
oliht
Just a question. Recoil will be at the Games Convention in Leipzig (written on their website). Anyone knows what they will show?
Old 08-11-2007, 05:35 AM   #178
zchri9

hmm this will be cool!
Old 08-29-2007, 07:08 AM   #179
HiPingLee
Wouldn't it make more sense to concentrate on finishing up games already in production?

HPL
Old 08-29-2007, 10:47 PM   #180
Dead Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiPingLee View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense to concentrate on finishing up games already in production?

HPL
I didn't know Recoil games had another game in production
Old 08-30-2007, 02:47 AM   #181
Antosa

I'm sorry that 3DRealms and Recoil has been decided to use the UE3 engine for they new game, I find is very bad engine and I do not understand as never many developers have decided to use it for their games.
I have played Raimbow Six: Vegas, now I am playing Bioshock and I have tried the demo of Medal of Honor Airbone and Robobliz but I have always had the same ugly impression texture of very low quality, low number of polygons and medium effects of light. This engine is not next gen but old gen. I hope Prey 2 do not use it.

The only explanation is that it is low cost.

Last edited by Antosa; 08-30-2007 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:57 AM   #182
Kristian Joensen

Dude, neither Rainbow Siz: Vegas or Bioshock are using a "pure" version of UE3. Besides that low resolutions textures and low polygon counts have nothing to do with the engine. They are purely a decision by the art team.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:46 AM   #183
Antosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
Dude, neither Rainbow Siz: Vegas or Bioshock are using a "pure" version of UE3. Besides that low resolutions textures and low polygon counts have nothing to do with the engine. They are purely a decision by the art team.
I am not in agreement with you, all four game I play tries and all have given me the same impression. Also the screens of Gow they have given me same the impressions.
The only game based on UE3 engine that me seems good impression from the screens is UTIII.
Crysis engine and Id tech 5 are very very good engine, and they are very next gen.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:01 AM   #184
Kristian Joensen

Look you can make high resolution textures for ANY engine and low resolution textures for any engine. UE3 has got nothing to do with it. It is a FACT that Epic uses HIGHER resolution textures than Crytek.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:08 AM   #185
Antosa

Quote:
Look you can make high resolution textures for ANY engine and low resolution textures for any engine.
This is true. But why, now, only games powered whit UE3 use low texture and the majority of the other games escapes of recent not?

Quote:
It is a FACT that Epic uses HIGHER resolution textures than Crytek.
I don't think UE3=Crysis engine

Old 08-30-2007, 09:22 AM   #186
Micki!

It's a matter of optimization i guess... It's not because the developers are just cheap (well, some are though) They just get better performance with thier games by doing it this way...

It would be too bad if they released a game that would require hardware way beyond to what is "standard" these days... so that pretty much anyone were bound to play it on low graphic settings, and others wouldn't be able to play at all...

Some companies do excellent jobs by optimizing thier games (which only partly has something to do with the engine they use... it's just as much how they create the game tech wise)

A good example, in my opinion, is Prey... i don't know if others were as lucky as me, and a friend of mine, but the game ran BETTER than Doom 3, which, was a agame 2 years older than Prey
Prey uses the same angine, with minor modifications, and the result was better looking, and equally looking at some parts, and at the same time even better performance...

With this, i try to say, it's all what the company who creates the game make sout of it... It's thier job to optimize a game and still look good

Maybe i shouldn't be caught into this discussion though, but i think it's fair to first start judging a game, when having tried a game on highest graphics settings, to get a real impression of what it's like...

I don't always think videos do justice
Old 08-30-2007, 09:30 AM   #187
Kristian Joensen

Quote:
This is true. But why, now, only games powered whit UE3 use low texture and the majority of the other games escapes of recent not?
The thing is that two of the games you listed don't really use UE3(Bioshock and Rainbow Six: Vegas) and one of them is a very very very low budget LOW file size NON AAA game using procedural textures(Roboblitz), so you can't compare that to Crysis at all. In addition to that you simply have WAY to low a number to go by.

Quote:
I don't think UE3=Crysis engine
I didn't say so. But you where making it sound like UE3 was incapable of supporting high resolution textures. That is simply not the case.

Quote:
. But why, now, only games powered whit UE3 use low texture and the majority of the other games escapes of recent not?
There are almost no games using UE3 currently out, there really is virtually no data to go by. In addition to that just because you don't like the graphics of a certain game doesn't mean that it has got low resolution textures.

Quote:
The only game based on UE3 engine that me seems good impression from the screens is UTIII.
Here you bring up a counter example to your own thesis. In other words you have just falsified your own theory.

Here are the hard data:

Question:

Quote:
15.As long as Official Engine Parameters for Crysis/CE2 have not been released, newly forming Crysis based mod teams are limited in what they can do. There are obvious planning stages these teams will go through, however something they could do now ahead of the release of Crysis is to 3D model. Can you comment on polycounts and its criticality within CE2 etc to give them a starting point for their models?
Answer(I only quote the part about character, as there is no similar info from Epic about weapons, vehicles and buildings):

Quote:
Characters
As we are using attachments we have to split the triangle numbers in the separate parts:
* Heads 3k triangles
* Body 5k triangles
* Attachments 1 k triangles
3k + 5k + 1k = 9k.

Here is the Epic info:

Quote:
Renderable Mesh: We build renderable meshes with 3,000-12,000 triangles, based on the expectation of 5-20 visible characters in a game scene.
(12k is more than 9k, while 3k obviously is less than 9k, so it is a bit mixed, both company are in ABOUT the same neighborhood)

Now onto texture resolutions:

Question:

Quote:
What are the texture resolutions for weapons, character, etc. in Crysis?
Answer:

Quote:
Weapons 1024x1024; Character head: 512 x 512 to 1024 x 1024; Character body: 1024 x 1024; Attachments: 1024 x 1024.

A general rule should be that you do not extend 170 to 190MB for the targeted Spec including mesh geometry. The last 60 MB (256 – 60 = 196MB) will be used for dynamic textures (shadow maps).
You should therefore divide the available amount by the assets you want to show in the level.

A good advice is to keep the numbers of different materials per object very low and put more polygons into the object. The graphic card can a) handle polygons much better than loading different textures and b) can give you much more detail with lower memory consumption.
Epic info:

Quote:
We are authoring most character and world normal maps and texture maps at 2048x2048 resolution. We feel this is a good target for games running on mid-range PC's in the 2006 timeframe. Next-generation consoles may require reducing texture resolution by 2X, and low-end PC's up to 4X, depending on texture count and scene complexity.
Last edited by ADM; 08-30-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:14 PM   #188
Hudson

Oh jesus can we please avoid some kind of technological pissing contest between two engines nobody here has absolutely anything to do with

I had enough of that crap with D3/HL2 to last a friggin lifetime.
[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Old 08-31-2007, 02:24 AM   #189
Antosa

Quote:
The thing is that two of the games you listed don't really use UE3(Bioshock and Rainbow Six: Vegas) and one of them is a very very very low budget LOW file size NON AAA game using procedural textures(Roboblitz), so you can't compare that to Crysis at all. In addition to that you simply have WAY to low a number to go by.
:
And Medal of Honor: Airbonne? Do you have try it?
Strangheold i see screenshots but it's the same.
Turok i see screenshots but it's the same
I have not said it that he uses UE3, but developers of games.
I forgot, nearly never is possible to use the aa. Example Bioshock only in DX9, no in DX10 (i play it in DX10 for example)

Quote:
I didn't say so. But you where making it sound like UE3 was incapable of supporting high resolution textures. That is simply not the case.:
Thought or never said one what therefore, but the games escapes till now are therefore!

Quote:
There are almost no games using UE3 currently out, there really is virtually no data to go by. In addition to that just because you don't like the graphics of a certain game doesn't mean that it has got low resolution textures.:
Mine it is only a comment on the games escapes till now.

Quote:
Here you bring up a counter example to your own thesis. In other words you have just falsified your own theory..:
The technical data interest to me little what it interests to me is the final quality.

I am not a fan of UE3 engine or the other engine, only they are preoccupied that "Earth No More" does not have good graphic, the grafic is not all in a game, and Bioshock is an optimal example of this, it's a excellent game, but for me quality grafic it's important for having an optimal game, it is necessary that it is not come down too much to a qualitative level low of grafic. All here.
you it thinks what would be Bioshock with crysis engine.

Hello Michi how are you??
Thanks for your opinion.
The games of which I have spoken I have them tries all to you, I have not based my impression on the video

P.S. I'm sorry but my english is bad and i do not succeed to explain what I want to say well.

Last edited by Antosa; 08-31-2007 at 04:23 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:54 AM   #190
ADM

Enough.

Keep this topic purely to discussing Earth No More.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:52 PM   #191
Amakou

So when Earth No More was announced, had they already been working on it for a while, or did they decide just to announce the IP itself?

~Amakou~
Old 09-01-2007, 04:07 AM   #192
Morry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amakou View Post
So when Earth No More was announced, had they already been working on it for a while, or did they decide just to announce the IP itself?

~Amakou~
Recoil Games was formed around November 2006 and Earth No More was announced on June 19 2007. What happened in between or before those dates is something only Recoil knows.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:34 AM   #193
Kristian Joensen

and 3D Realms. However there are tow things prior to June 19nd, 2007 that we know. One thing is for sure, the other is more speculative. First the sure thing is that 3D Realms filed for the "Earth No More" trademark on February 6th, 2007 and the other is the following quote which MAY or may not be related to Earth No More:

Quote:
Totally. I had a 60 minute conf. call yesterday using Skype, involving people from Canada and Finland, all for FREE. I'm about to switch to Vonage in my home, too. This Internet thingie is really kinda cool.
- Scott Miller, October 29nd, 2006.

Raphael Van Lierop could be the participant from Canada and the Recoil founders could be the people from Finland.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:54 PM   #194
Kalki

Nice sleuthing there. I remember that Skype quote from his blog.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 09-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #195
Twin

hopefully not as boring as prey

"Cha'mone MuthaF**KAH! heeee heeee"

"He clobbers the mob as....BLACK BELT JONES!"
Old 09-29-2007, 03:38 PM   #196
Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaloS View Post
Can't wait for ANY news on this one!
[Yoda]
You will be ...
[/Yoda]

Sounds like a cool game though. I saw a gaming magazine today (PC Games, Germany) with news on the game. I'll get a copy some day and see what they have to say.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:12 PM   #197
JobivanHiob

i've got the copy. It's basically the same as said as in the first english article.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #198
djc23
Call me a cynic but I'll believe the real character development when I see it. Too many games trump up the emtional and dramatic moments of the story but the end product is usually some tired cliches. I want to be proven wrong though!
Old 10-04-2007, 02:52 AM   #199
Morry

Anyone feel like doing some translating?

I have a Finnish article about EnM that I would like translated:
http://www.talouselama.fi/docview.do?f_id=1182718

These ones too:
http://plaza.fi/edome/artikkelit/haa...n-recoil-games
http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2007/04/03/496910.html
Old 10-04-2007, 03:14 AM   #200
ADM

Any help on translating those articles would be greatly appreciated.