Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem Forever
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Should DNF come with a editor?
YES, I want to be able to make my own Duke levels even if it takes longer for 3DR to finish. 148 77.89%
NO, I just want the Duke asap and a level editor is not that important to me. 42 22.11%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2008, 09:11 AM   #121
rev6605

Re: DNF editor important to you?
Creating your own usermaps is what dukes about (for me and my family anywho). our favorite maps are alot of the usermaps.... and hollywood halocaust (sorry i cant spell).
I would love to have a map editer ... but it isnt really needed. Even if they dont provide one, they will still be made. Some people are really innovative, and will figure out how to do it :P.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:48 PM   #122
OttoMoto

U know ppl - if u makin a game without any editor - it sucks
So editor does exist, and i am really confused about this thread I mean - why would'nt u include such a feature? It's a great and awesome thing 4 us players 2 play again and again and make mods maps textures scripts fx shaders models animations - anything possible - even a full scale addon to original episodes - give us such a power - we want it!

Anyway - i have built my own multi-episode duke game (build engine), with new sounds, textures, music and even monsters! That was a great experience and great opportunity for me to understand some basics about gamedeveloping. And also that was really FUN...
So please - include DNF editor in a box! ... thanx
P.S.: I wonder if there will be an exit button in DNF. But most important question - is it still "65535"?
Old 06-10-2008, 03:49 AM   #123
timothy2
Well some games don't come with an editor, which sucks big time.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:43 AM   #124
Ironside

Crytek has the best editors. Sb1 and sb2 are easier to use then the unreal editor.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:36 AM   #125
Tea Monster

I've not played with the Unreal Editor - I really should do as I play a shed load of UT2k4.

I have used various Quake Editors to make a few Q2 levels and I've got to say that while Build is a wonderful editor, QE Radiant is a royal pain in the arse. Nothing against the platform or the editor in general, but the usability factor is just a million miles away.

P.S.... and I voted "Hell Yeah!!!" on the editor. To the people who think its going to slow down development: erm, what do you think they are making the game WITH?
Last edited by Tea Monster; 06-10-2008 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:11 AM   #126
Parkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea Monster View Post
I've not played with the Unreal Editor - I really should do as I play a shed load of UT2k4.

I have used various Quake Editors to make a few Q2 levels and I've got to say that while Build is a wonderful editor, QE Radiant is a royal pain in the arse. Nothing against the platform or the editor in general, but the usability factor is just a million miles away.

P.S.... and I voted "Hell Yeah!!!" on the editor. To the people who think its going to slow down development: erm, what do you think they are making the game WITH?
The Unreal editor beats the crap out of any of the Quake editors. The Quake editors are just way to clumsy. I personaly find the Unreal editor easier to work with then Build. I can't make anything worth playing without constantly looking things up in tutorials using build. In UED once you understand the interface it's easy to build stuff no one had even thought of before, it's just a lot more logical.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #127
Deftones

Important as far as my love for video gaming then yes but as far as every day life essentials then no.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #128
Vinsane

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoMoto View Post
U know ppl - if u makin a game without any editor - it sucks
So editor does exist, and i am really confused about this thread I mean - why would'nt u include such a feature? It's a great and awesome thing 4 us players 2 play again and again and make mods maps textures scripts fx shaders models animations - anything possible - even a full scale addon to original episodes - give us such a power - we want it!

Anyway - i have built my own multi-episode duke game (build engine), with new sounds, textures, music and even monsters! That was a great experience and great opportunity for me to understand some basics about gamedeveloping. And also that was really FUN...
So please - include DNF editor in a box! ... thanx
P.S.: I wonder if there will be an exit button in DNF. But most important question - is it still "65535"?
This may be a stupid question and maybe not, but since it was possible to make DN3D to run on faster pcs with newer os with HRP/Eduke, can something be made to work in reverse? I mean, enable DNF to run on slower machines, like mine Then alot of us might be able to run it on what we have now, saveing us a bundle on a new computer. Yea, I know it will degrade the quality of the game but at least we could play it. Just a thought, and yes, the game must be out before that can be done, or to maybe even answer this question!
Old 06-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #129
timothy2
It's possible already, it's called configuration options.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #130
Tea Monster

Possible to a point, depends on what the spec of your machine is. It should have the ability to 'dumb it down' but if you have an Athlon 1500 with a GeForce 2 then you are probably screwed.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #131
timothy2
Well if you want to play Duke3d hrp then just get that instead

Imo it's too much work to make it compatible for really really old computers, that's effort better spent on other important things.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:48 PM   #132
alexgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy2 View Post
Imo it's too much work to make it compatible for really really old computers, that's effort better spent on other important things.
Well, if 3DR has done things right, it shouldn't be much of a problem. For me, a game engine that demands a lot of resources without a real cause, leaving performance for a wide range of computers aside, is FAIL.

Crysis come in mind...
Old 06-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #133
MrGfire
If its not released then the game is, it must be released in a few months after, Croteam did this misstake, (7months?) after the game was released, then where everything over with SS2, so i hope it will ship with the game and not to be released after.

So we could start making our own levels after we played the whole game

Old 02-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #134
uetforever
DNF editor(UnreaEd)
Duke Nukem Forever editor is based on UnrealEd 2.0(UT build 420+) or UnreaEd 3.0(UT2003&UT2004)?

UnrealEd 2.0
* interface changed from UnrealEd 1.0, but functions 90% same

UnrealEd 3.0
* very different from UnrealEd 2.0, static meshes and texture shader editor
* add the matinee cutscene toolset
* add the terrain editing toolset

Old 02-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #135
nemesis156

Re: DNF editor(UnreaEd)
Probably 2.0 with adjustments to fit the new additions to the engine..

Why does it matter though? :P
Old 02-15-2009, 05:06 PM   #136
peoplessi

Well Matinee is pretty nice, so is Kismet. Additions that are in the UE3. Then again, since DNF has really high level of interactive, I suppose they have their own "Kismet" there, be it visual as Kismet or more like UnrealScript style.

I think you will see the UE origins, but beyond that it will be different. Feel familiar, but be so very different.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #137
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis156 View Post
Probably 2.0 with adjustments to fit the new additions to the engine..

Why does it matter though? :P
I'm guessing he wants to know which one to learn? Doesn't matter really... if you know how to use 1.0 you can use 2.0 and so on.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #138
peoplessi

The modern level editing tools are quite similar in the end, so changing from one to another doesn't take that long if you have the basic grasp of some other editor beforehand.

I'm anxious to see how much the editor has changed compared to UnrealEd2
Old 02-16-2009, 06:52 AM   #139
Parkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoplessi View Post
Well Matinee is pretty nice, so is Kismet. Additions that are in the UE3. Then again, since DNF has really high level of interactive, I suppose they have their own "Kismet" there, be it visual as Kismet or more like UnrealScript style.

I think you will see the UE origins, but beyond that it will be different. Feel familiar, but be so very different.
That's all Unrealed 4.0 though. My guess is they moved on to Unrealed 3.0 when they rewrote the engine if they hadn't already. I do recall them saying they had added quiet a bit of their own features to the editor. I think it was as an answer to a question similar to this one but don't quiet remember if that really was the case.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:19 AM   #140
peoplessi

Oops my bad, yes I didn't specify of what I was talking about, I meant to speak of the UnrealED 4.0.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:59 AM   #141
Kristian Joensen

Found this just now on the net:

Comment:

Quote:
Also, 3DR can take advantage of the matinee code present in the Unreal Engine, to allow for entirely scripted movies.
Answer:

Quote:
No, we broke off from Unreal's code in 2001 or so. We never merged in any of that stuff, and we went our own way.
- George Broussard, April 13th, 2004.

That is not to say they haven't implemented a system like that on their own.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:09 AM   #142
Mr.Fibbles

Except that George also said the entire game is from Duke's eyes. (a long time ago, grant it)

Like the Romance Languages and such, once you know one modern editor, you know them all.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #143
hammer oz

Duke Nukem dnf level creator
i would like to see a dnf level designer like far cry 2 so people can make there own kickass multiplayer levels and single player levels just like in duke nukem 3d
Old 03-15-2009, 06:49 PM   #144
SpinX

Re: dnf level creator
I would love a map editor in the style of operation flashpoint/ArmA, anybody could make kickass great singleplayer missions with that...

http://www.youtube.com/user/ftbfelix
Old 03-15-2009, 06:50 PM   #145
Ironside

Its been 12 years and there has been many threads on this.
http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34657

Iam hoping for a level editor in the 360 release but I know for a fact that it wont be in the game, how do I know this? Come on mate because they cant even get the game finished. Proove me wrong George, please.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #146
hammer oz

grrrrrrr why is there always a post on something that i iv already said

whyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
Its been 12 years and there has been many threads on this.
http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34657

Iam hoping for a level editor in the 360 release but I know for a fact that it wont be in the game, how do I know this? Come on mate because they cant even get the game finished. Proove me wrong George, please.
hear hear ironside let us pray to the allmighty that it will be released
Old 03-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #147
Ironside

Why is there a post already you ask?
Because 3DR have been working on this thing for years and years and years and years and years and years and years.

I dont think the almighty cares if this game is released. But we can keep dreaming.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #148
PartyBooper

A level editor like the UnrealEd would be awesome. The "editors" in Far Cry 2 or ArmA suck because you can't actually create geometry. I like it when you can do everything the devs were able to do. Giving the tools to the people with which the game was made would drastically increase the game's lifespan.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #149
Ironside

It is written!

In the faq that DNF will come with the editor...but what me wants is a editor on the 360 release, dreams dreams nightmares...
Old 03-15-2009, 11:29 PM   #150
oak man

Build 2 for the win!!!

>>My flickr page<<
Old 03-16-2009, 12:02 AM   #151
Dopefish7590

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak man View Post
Build 2 for the win!!!
Haha... Now with new 3D sectors that 3DRealms has officially dubbed "Polygons".
Old 03-16-2009, 01:02 AM   #152
alexgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopefish7590 View Post
Haha... Now with new 3D sectors that 3DRealms has officially dubbed "Polygons".
Hehe, good one
Old 03-16-2009, 02:16 AM   #153
oak man

Wow so its almost like the Quake editor?!

>>My flickr page<<
Old 03-16-2009, 05:30 AM   #154
Antikorper
Hey i have done mapping on GTKradiant for Wolfenstein Enemy Territory - now i know i can create that Mars -map for DNF.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:10 PM   #155
peoplessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antikorper View Post
Hey i have done mapping on GTKradiant for Wolfenstein Enemy Territory - now i know i can create that Mars -map for DNF.
Most likely, when you have experience in mapping. But I doubt it features a lot in common with GTKRadiant
Old 03-19-2009, 11:24 PM   #156
Wamplet

Oh No Re: Map Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danule View Post
how long does it take to learn to use one of those, i used build back in the day but that was really easey. i get confused with this new stuff...
It's not very hard.

You just have to learn to use a lot of static meshes or create your own on top of just carving out rooms or BSP.
"By god... Wamp has a point." -Damien_Azreal
Old 03-20-2009, 06:10 AM   #157
Parkar

Re: Map Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamplet View Post
It's not very hard.

You just have to learn to use a lot of static meshes or create your own on top of just carving out rooms or BSP.
In some sense unrealed is actually easier then Build. Obviously there is a bit of a learning curve but that was true about build as well.

Unrealed feels a lot more logical in the way you do things. Especially doing more advanced stuff is a lot easier then in build where you had to more or less read a tutorial every time you made a door.

Just building a few simple rooms is more or less just about placing stuff.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:18 AM   #158
IwantMORE

Re: DNF Editor Discussion Thread
Yep, I want a simple level editor where I can give it a few voice commands and it will generate wicked levels for me....

Well what else could they been working on????
Old 03-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #159
Wamplet

Thumbs up Re: Map Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkar View Post
In some sense unrealed is actually easier then Build. Obviously there is a bit of a learning curve but that was true about build as well.

Unrealed feels a lot more logical in the way you do things. Especially doing more advanced stuff is a lot easier then in build where you had to more or less read a tutorial every time you made a door.

Just building a few simple rooms is more or less just about placing stuff.
I think it is easier as well. It's obviously more flexible and truely 3d over build.

they have tutorials all over the place for general unreal editing, but if you were really desparate, lazy or don't have the bandwidth to get them, you can always buy a UT 3 CE which will have a DVD on using the editor.
"By god... Wamp has a point." -Damien_Azreal