Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Modifications
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-10-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
tkoyl240am
Problems with HRP
So just recently ive tried this amazing HRP for my all time favorite game.
It's playable to a limit. But its annoying as hell, and I will explain why.

The following problems are only when the HRP is implimented. When I switch the video options to 8Bit everything works the way it should, perfectly.

-When loading resources before a level, it usually takes an unbearable 1-2 mins.
Well, if its supposed to I guess im fine with that as long as everything else is fixed. But i have a feeling this is one of the problems.

-As the level starts, it freezes the screen and music, but everything else works in the background. I say this because after the temporary freeze things will have moved the way they should have without me seeing it.

This also happens whenever I get in a new area, or something has to load dramatically. For example; E1L1 when you drop from the shaft. On the way down just before you enter the area it will lock up, and seconds later i will be on the ground possibly in the middle of the road being shot at countless times by the bugger on the box.

-Lagging will always happen, unlike the temp freezes that only happen at specific areas.. it will always lag whenever I do something significant such as opening a door, firing a gun or anything really, for the first time. anything for the first time will lag.. regardless of the 6,000 files in my texcaching folder. After in the level for about 2 mins the lag will drop, but freezes wont.

This will continue to happen all througout the levels, especially when first playing the levels.

YES I do have texcaching.. So after i've played the level, when I go to play it again it loads a tiny bit faster, and theres less lock-ups and stuttering.. But honestly its barely noticable, and i could just be telling myself that, when really there could be no improvement at all...

When i go into Game options, and go MORE all the caching/compression options are enabled (on).

Heres what I've done to try and solve this problem
----------------------------------------------------------

I've tried it on 2 computers. Both Windows XP.

I've tried reinstalling the HR Pack. I've tried starting from scratch with the GRP file alone. I tried a couple versions of HRP, all with the same result. As of now I'm running off the latest HRP version and its the same.

I've tried using the latest Eduke snapshot, it doesnt fix anything.

Looking at my driver.. I tried updating it, but it said there were no updates available. I also downloaded DirectX End Users something or rather. Apparently its all the Direct X ups, and im pretty sure I was at DirectX 9 before anyways.

I even tried dling a different GRP and trying with that. Nope nothing changed.

It could be my video card. Because when I switched to 16bit 600x400 reso, things worked better alot better. just not perfect, few freezes remained and the loading resources was still very long.

I have a feeling it could be my video card. But i'd like some confirmation before I go out and buy a new video card for 1 game (im a console gamer for the most part).

Here's my video card stats:

nVIDIA G-Force FX 5200
with 128MB

If theres an easier cure, such as not buying a new video card id like to try it.
Thanks for any attempts to help out my problem.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
blizzart

Re: Problems with HRP
I think the freezing happens when the game has to load a lot of models. The engine doesn´t seem to support a level-of-detail system so it loads all the polygons of a model no matter how far they´re away.

I´m running a 2,0 ghz processor with 1gig of ram and a Gefore4MX with 64mb ram. I don´t have such freeze problems like you had. It only freezes at the beginning of the level but runs smooth after that as long not too many enemies are occure. So I think your problems must have other reasons.

Try to reinstall your video card drivers.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
oak man

Try the latest EDuke snapshot?

>>My flickr page<<
Old 06-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
blizzart

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak man View Post
Try the latest EDuke snapshot?
It is already mentioned, that the latest snapshot is in use.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoyl240am View Post
-When loading resources before a level, it usually takes an unbearable 1-2 mins.
Press the spacebar to skip pre-caching. The game will then stutter as it loads resources on the fly, but it's doing that for you anyway.

DUKE NUKEM: ATTRITION
XP based weapon upgrades, progressive difficulty, and more.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
tkoyl240am
ok well ive tried it on 2 computers as said before and i found out on the other computer my video card has 64MB so.. Im not sure, should i reinstall both of them? The exact same problem is happening on both computers which is really odd... could it have anything to do with Windows XP? and me needing some extra files for it to run smoother?
I could have missed a patch needed or something..

DT I will try that asap.

I don't know if this was mentioned, but after awhile of playing the same level: Once it has already loaded an area, it will never have to reload that part as long as i stay in the level. Like it will lag on the first use of rocket -> hitting enemy. but after that it will always shoot, hit and explode without lag. But this is inconsistent..

Also, another thing is when I run Eduke or any of my batches, everything goes by fine.. no errors. But just before the game pops up, it says on the eduke window something is invalid , or perhaps failed. but its just one thing near the bottom of the list.. im not sure my eyes could be playing tricks on me, but its so fast its hard to see.. Ill try to see if i can ctrl-print screen on it and paste it in paint lol..

Thanks for the help guys its very apreciated.
Ill be back with more info, and what i've tried.

EDIT: If nothing else works Ill try reinstalling a driver. BTW blizzart how do u check what your proccesser and ram is? could that be one of the problems as well if my specs arent as good?
It's odd because they both can run Doom 3 at medium stats..
Last edited by tkoyl240am; 06-10-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
tkoyl240am
Sorry for double post, but I found out what the "invalid" is.

I have a few addons for duke that are batched together.. So I usually like to run my Duke Nukem Atomic with Duke Plus and Hi quality sound pack. its a 3-in-1 batch. And the invalid near the very end is : Invalid frame name on line dukeplus.def:61

Now that clearly has something to do with Duke Plus alone... but no matter what batch file i run, even if its the eduke.exe, these problems occur, not just using duke plus but anything.. I just noticed that it says that.

EDIT: OK.. well apparently my files are really ******... HAHA well when I went to run my batch on Atomic-SD Duke-HQSP There was about 5 'Warnings' and one i noticed had to do with a def file aswell, but from HRP. The funny thing is it still ran.. like it always does..
I tried running the Eduke.exe, and there were no errors in the window.. but i tried it in minimized view, and then i noticed it gives me an error on the bottom right corner of my XP saying Hollywood Holocaust is 'Corrupt' on Eduke..
How could i have so many errors...

Well im going to try this whole process again... god knows how many times ive reinstalled this stuff..
Can someone point me to any of the following links:

Latest Duke Plus MOD
Latest Hi Quality Sound Pack

Those are all I really want. I will get the latest HRP off duke4.net and latest Eduke snapshot. Ill try this all over again and post later tonight or tommorow what the results are.
Still if anyone has any clues please tell me, and please link me to those files as they were really hard to find the first time around.

Oh and DT I tried the spacebar, and 'E' but neither worked. But since theres a load of errors I guess it really isnt valid to say it 'didnt work'.
Mann i really hope i get this to work.
Last edited by tkoyl240am; 06-10-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
DeeperThought

AFAIK there have never been any invalid frame names in dukeplus.def, BUT it does refer to a few HRP models, and if any of those have changed frame names in the latest HRP, that could explain it.

At any rate, an invalid frame name would cause the affected model to either not display a certain animation or not load at all (I'm not sure which) but would have no other adverse effects. It would certainly not cause any performance issues.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:48 PM   #9
TerminX

Post a copy of eduke32.log. Things aren't supposed to lag like that (and they don't here) but we don't really test on video cards that are that old/slow very often. Post some more of your system stats as well... how much RAM do you have, how fast is your CPU, et cetera?
Old 06-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
tkoyl240am
eduke32.log -> http://www.zshare.net/download/13469751e140132a/

upon looking at it myself, thers a whole bunch of "No cached tex for tile/highres sprites".

Quote:
how do u check what your proccesser and ram is? could that be one of the problems as well if my specs arent as good?
It's odd because they both can run Doom 3 at medium stats..
Last edited by tkoyl240am; 06-11-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #11
TerminX

I wouldn't expect anything with a GeForce 5200 to run anything Doom 3 based at "medium" settings. I've personally seen them barely pull 15-20 fps with everything on low. As for the log you posted... I wouldn't expect much out of an old Radeon 9000 with several year old drivers, either.

If you need to figure out your processor type and speed and how much RAM you have, just look at the properties page of My Computer.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #12
tkoyl240am
Well I can't check atm, but on my GForce 5200 I was able to run Doom 3 on the resolution 1 up from the lowest, so I guess i considered that medium. I was also able to have all the special lighting effects etc.
On my 64mb vc'd computer however would lag unless set with the lowest possible settings and it would still lag a bit at big areas.

Well, I created a new folder. I dropped the GRP file into it, and installed the HRP (to be exact: dn3d_hrp-27-04-2007.exe) Then I put in today's eduke snapshot. I did no modifications what so ever and ran the eduke32.exe.
The problems continue to persist. I get no errors at all.

Heres my specs for my worst computer (the 64MB video card one).

AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
1.4 GHz, 256 MB of RAM

My other computer is better, but the problem is there too. Unfortunately I cant check it until I head back to my other place on the weekend.
Last edited by tkoyl240am; 06-11-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:58 PM   #13
DeeperThought

Under the VIDEO SETUP menu option there is a sub-menu for MORE SETTINGS. Go in there and notice you can disable either hightile textures or models. Try disabling hightile textures while leaving models on and see if this helps. Then try the reverse. This will at least tell you whether it is one of those things more than the other.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:08 PM   #14
tkoyl240am
With models OFF and hightile textures ON
It would stutter greatly

With models ON and hightile textures OFF
There was absolutely no stuttering, but it would still freeze after picking up the rocket launcher or shooting a monster with it for first time, or dropping from the shaft. Things like that, but noticeably shorter freezes.
Last edited by tkoyl240am; 06-11-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #15
Plagman

Is it grinding the hard drive when it stutters?

Quote:
I think the freezing happens when the game has to load a lot of models. The engine doesn´t seem to support a level-of-detail system so it loads all the polygons of a model no matter how far they´re away.
Not related: all the model data is loaded before the game even starts and stays that way. The texture data is loaded on-the-fly and much more important.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #16
tkoyl240am
The HD sounds like its running smoothly throughout the whole time duke 3d is running. If that's what you mean by grinding (the sounds emitted from the HD). It doesn't repeatedly make a stalling noise while trying to load something.

EDIT:
Quote:
when I switched to 16bit 600x400 reso, things worked better alot better. just not perfect.
would this be a sign of a new video card solving the problem?
Last edited by tkoyl240am; 06-11-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #17
Hunter_rus

Quote:
AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
1.4 GHz, 256 MB of RAM
I think you need more RAM. 512, at least.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #18
miuzaki

Yes it is
Old 06-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #19
tkoyl240am
Im thinking RAM could be it.

After most of the freezing and stuttering in the first minute or two, it stops stuttering so much and it can easily handle the explosions, the killing like no stuttering at all, its just at the start of everything. The only consistency is the lock ups that occur while entering new areas of the level.

The RAM has to do with temporarily storing information, such as pre-caching textures or w/e right?

I still have to look at the specs on my other computer. If it has 512MB RAM then its probably a new video card (or reinstalling them).
Last edited by tkoyl240am; 06-11-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:01 AM   #20
blizzart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plagman View Post
Not related: all the model data is loaded before the game even starts and stays that way. The texture data is loaded on-the-fly and much more important.
Oh ok, I didn´t know that.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:27 PM   #21
tkoyl240am
A quick look at my new eduke32.log, the nasty warnings are gone, and replaced with oks of loading textures. However theres a few other instances I think are worth mentioning.
It says the following along the list in eduke32.log:

"RTS Manager Started.
RTS file DUKE.RTS was not found"

"WARNING: SE23 i<0!"

"Loading OpenAL32.DLL
Failed loading OpenAL driver.
Download OpenAL 1.1 or greater from http://www.openal.org/downloads.html"

I'm about to try this^ right now.

EDIT: After trying the above, now the stuttering is gone completely even in 32bit mode. The lockups are still there, but are significantly shorter, and much easier to live with. I'm thinking the lockups could be persisting because of my old video card and/or lack of RAM.
Again, I have yet to test this on my other computer but I think downloading the latest OpenAL Driver solved my problem.
The loading resources still takes awhile, but no more than a minute so im guessing thats normal.

In my duke log it says this:

OpenGL Information:
Version: 1.3.1050 WinXP Release
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Renderer: RADEON 9000 DDR x86/MMX/3DNow!
Maximum anisotropy: 16.0
BGRA textures: supported
Non-x^2 textures: not supported
Texure compression: supported
Clamp-to-edge: supported
Multisampling: not supported
Nvidia multisample hint: not supported
ARBfp fragment programs: not supported
Depth textures: not supported
Shadow textures: not supported
Frame Buffer Objects: not supported
Rectangle textures: supported
Multitexturing: supported
env_combine: supported
Vertex Buffer Objects: supported

Are the not supported features because my video card is out of date?

And I still get the top 2 errors in my duke log, any info?

Quote:
Can someone point me to any of the following links:

Latest Duke Plus MOD
Latest Hi Quality Sound Pack
Last edited by tkoyl240am; 06-12-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:41 PM   #22
Radar1013

"RTS file DUKE.RTS was not found" i don't think is a problem.

Quote:
OpenGL Information:
Version: 1.3.1050 WinXP Release
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Renderer: RADEON 9000 DDR x86/MMX/3DNow!
Maximum anisotropy: 16.0
BGRA textures: supported
Non-x^2 textures: not supported
Texure compression: supported
Clamp-to-edge: supported
Multisampling: not supported
Nvidia multisample hint: not supported
ARBfp fragment programs: not supported
Depth textures: not supported
Shadow textures: not supported
Frame Buffer Objects: not supported
Rectangle textures: supported
Multitexturing: supported
env_combine: supported
Vertex Buffer Objects: supported
I think that updating your video card drivers will maybe solve a few of those problems.

Latest Duke Plus: http://www.csus.edu/indiv/g/gaskilld/DukePlus.rar

I'm not sure where the latest high quality sound pack is though.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:03 PM   #23
tkoyl240am
Thank you for that info Radar

http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29170
^Anyone know if the first link on this page is the latest? its the only one i could find.

Ill be back later on the weekend to say whether it all works good on my other computer (it should since it has a better video card and possibly more RAM) since I heard ppl can get it working on a 64MB Video card, and so can i for the most part. It should work good on a 128MB one.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #24
Radar1013

Oh, that sound pack.

There is a version 2.0 that you can download from here: http://files.filefront.com/eduke32+x.../fileinfo.html

Also, you can get the "High Quality Music Pack" from hrpupdate.duke4.net. It also has HRP Updates and the SD_Duke mod (Blood, Gore, and etc. mod). Just in case you haven't heard of these. Just remember that SD_Duke and Duke Plus cannot run with each other if you want to use it.
Last edited by Radar1013; 06-13-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #25
tkoyl240am
thanks again radar

So i just tried dling the newest OpenAL on my other computer heres its stats:
2.61 GHz / 512MB of RAM / 128MB Video Card

It works close to perfectly as i expected. The "lock-ups" or w/e you want to call them are so fast now its barely noticeable. Theres no stuttering at all and since the very small lockups only occur while first doing something in the level, its all barely noticable and now very much enjoyable.

I think the stats I mentioned are pretty much the minimum requirements to run this game at 32bits with HRP since my 1 level lower computer cant run it smoothly.
Feel free to lock this thread now. thanks for all the help guys.

EDIT: I hadn't noticed that you meant repeatedly pressing space DT but it does infact work so basically all my problems solved.
Last edited by tkoyl240am; 06-15-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:30 PM   #26
DeeperThought

Quote:
EDIT: I hadn't noticed that you meant repeatedly pressing space DT but it does infact work so basically all my problems solved.
Actually I just hold down the space bar for a second, because as you noticed it doesn't work immediately.