Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #521
Rapture_Rising

Re: The New Hardware Thread
I have bought my new case.

The only dilemma i have now is what video card i should get, i was thinking about buying a GTX 660 ti or save up the money and buy a GTX 680, i am more leaning towards a GTX 680 but i am not too sure if my 620W PSU would be able to handle it.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #522
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture_Rising View Post
I have bought my new case.

The only dilemma i have now is what video card i should get, i was thinking about buying a GTX 660 ti or save up the money and buy a GTX 680, i am more leaning towards a GTX 680 but i am not too sure if my 620W PSU would be able to handle it.
Why not get a GTX 670? It's kind of in the middle of the two.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #523
8IronBob

Hey, Rapture_Rising. I run a GTX 680 and 16GB DDR3-RAM on top of that, and no problems running a GTX 680 here. In fact, I was originally tempted to go with a HD 7970 before the GTX 680 made it big. You'll save even more PSU power with the 680 than the 7970, thankfully, and it's a much better GPU. So no problem with a 620W PSU.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:58 AM   #524
Rapture_Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post
Hey, Rapture_Rising. I run a GTX 680 and 16GB DDR3-RAM on top of that, and no problems running a GTX 680 here. In fact, I was originally tempted to go with a HD 7970 before the GTX 680 made it big. You'll save even more PSU power with the 680 than the 7970, thankfully, and it's a much better GPU. So no problem with a 620W PSU.
Thanks, but i have encountered a small problem, the SATA cables on my mobo might get in the way of a GTX 680, i am thinking about buying a cheap mobo before i get a new video card so i dont have to worry about it being in the way of the SATA cables and i can also connect my front USB 3.0 port without buying a PCI-E card.

Edit... I have bought myself a new mobo, an Asus P8Z77 so i have to wait a couple of days for delivery.

Its a uATX because that's the form of my current mobo and i dont have to dick around with the risers in the case, the only thing i am nervous about is the CPU heatsink so i might just pay the money and get my local PC store to install everything for me, its the safest option for me.
Last edited by Rapture_Rising; 10-20-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #525
KO Gilligan

I get a lot of satisfaction deciding how to run the cables, and figuring out the fans I want, and if they will operate full speed. The CPU cooling is really nothing to be afraid of. If you are using a big clunky aftermarket cooler, just take your time and spread a thin layer of compound evenly with a clean finger (or put a cover on your finger), and take your time with the manual and with the mounting. If you are using the stock cooler it's really simple.

Regarding that MBoard, be gentle where those SATA cables plug into the corner on microboards, or support the corner with a fingertip tip just in case you accidently push too hard. New boards are typically more durable than in the past, but there is a couple spots where a board may not have the support it needs to prevent excessive flexing (like that corner).

I use one of those little grabber tools to start the tiny screws when I do builds. Extremely quick screw starting means I can assemble quickly and easily, and not drop screws. I also use one of those wrist wrap static preventers.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #526
Rapture_Rising

Thanks for the advice KO, i got my local PC shop to install everything correctly and luckily i did because the CPU heatsink wasnt compatible because of the old motherboard being a stock HP mobo but they did install a aftermarket Deep Cool Ice Wind Pro CPU cooler for me.

Cable Management is an absolute nightmare in my case because when i first got the case the front fan died so i had to replace it and destroy what cable management there was, i might take it back to my PC shop and get them to do some proper cable management.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #527
KO Gilligan

I like that corrugated tube that the big electronics stores carry for organizing your media center wiring. I live near MicroCenter, and it comes in all colors, lengths, and sizes. I often will use a small hunk of that stuff to route a bunch of wires more neatly. They have real small guage too if you want to get crazy and use it all over. If you can't hide it, route it in the tubing and the build looks pretty cool..

There is a very similar kids toy that's a cheap colorful alternative it's a bit comical and works great for wires in the kids room
- but it also looks phenominal for the main wires in a UV lit tower and costs about a dollar or two These come in really bright colors. It makes a deep whirley whistle when you spin it like blowing in a jug. Just cut to fit and cut a slit down it and you've got some great UV reactive redneck cable management. The toy store is always a great place to shop for case mods

Here is an example - but toy stores often carry an entire rainbow of colors
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 10-28-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #528
ixfd64

My Alienware X51 from Costco just arrived today. It has a 3.4 GHz Core i7-3770 processor, a GeForce GTX 555 video card, 8 GB of RAM and 1 TB of storage. Sweet!

It isn't so much for playing games; rather, it's for a research project. Nevertheless, I'm still quite excited!

Visit my forums!
Old 11-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #529
8IronBob

Well, a laptop like that would be good for 3D modeling in 3ds Max, Photoshop, Zbrush sculpting, etc... So you could use a laptop with that spec for that kind of stuff, if not for gaming.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:00 AM   #530
Rapture_Rising

I have just bought myself an EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked.

Hopefully this should do me a couple of years of gaming.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:13 AM   #531
KO Gilligan

That's a badass card. Even if games were swiftly going into the next generation of graphics it would last a couple years - and that's not really happening anyway. There will be faster cards come and go, but I'd be very surprised if there was an actual visual difference worthy of an upgrade for a very long time.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #532
Rapture_Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
That's a badass card. Even if games were swiftly going into the next generation of graphics it would last a couple years - and that's not really happening anyway. There will be faster cards come and go, but I'd be very surprised if there was an actual visual difference worthy of an upgrade for a very long time.
The main reason i bought the 680 over the 660 Ti is for future-proofing my rig, the 660 Ti (from what i have read) is a capable card but i have a little more reassurance from the 660 Ti that my card will get me through at least 2 years of solid gaming.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #533
Rapture_Rising

I am starting to think i have made the wrong decision.

I keep getting a "Nvidia OpenGL driver has lost connection with display driver" error.

From spending the afternoon nearly tearing my hair out i have come to the conclusion that there is no fix to this error other than to send it back and try my luck with a new card.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #534
KO Gilligan

Quote:
I am starting to think i have made the wrong decision.

I keep getting a "Nvidia OpenGL driver has lost connection with display driver" error.

From spending the afternoon nearly tearing my hair out i have come to the conclusion that there is no fix to this error other than to send it back and try my luck with a new card.
Welcome to the bleeding edge of technology - before you go shipping the card back, did you contact support or check any support forums for others with the same driver error?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #535
Rapture_Rising

Quote:
Welcome to the bleeding edge of technology - before you go shipping the card back, did you contact support or check any support forums for others with the same driver error?
Yeah, pretty much all forums i went on said that its an error caused by something called Windows Timeout Detection and Recovery of GPU's, whatever that means and fixing it means making a registry edit but trying that doesnt seemed to have worked.

Im going to format and reinstall Windows so i can install fresh drivers and go from there to see wether i need to send the card back which i hope it doesnt come to.

What i am getting angry about is, is that i laid $600 down for a top range GPU and atm its a POS, i kinda expected more from such an expensive piece of hardware.

Edit***

I believe the card is buggered, i reinstalled windows and new drivers and when my computer restarted there were bright green blocks and green/ red lines running through the screen.

I have sent EVGA an RMA request but they will probably try and say it's my fault, at the moment i have reinstalled my old GT 530 card and my computer is now running perfectly.
Last edited by Rapture_Rising; 11-24-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:51 AM   #536
Rapture_Rising

Maybe a stroke of luck, i took the card to my local PC shop so they can test the card out on their test system to see if the card is faulty or its just my rig.

But the lucky part is that they are close friends with the owners of the online shop where i bought it and can fast track a replacement without sending it back to EVGA.

So i should hear back from them tomorrow about what steps to take next, i have my fingers crossed that its not going to be a long drawn out process.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #537
8IronBob

Quote:
I have just bought myself an EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked.

Hopefully this should do me a couple of years of gaming.
Congrats. Welcome to the family, game well on that thing!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #538
Rapture_Rising

Quote:
Congrats. Welcome to the family, game well on that thing!
I dont think mine works at the moment, its at the computer shop being tested to see if its a faulty card.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #539
Rapture_Rising

I want to know what is the best course of action to take with getting a replacement.

I was talking to the guy at my local PC shop he said that he had a customer who did sent the card back to EVGA and waited 2 months to receive a replacement card.

I will send it back to the store where i bought it and try my luck with a new card, if this one comes back dodgy i will get my money back and try my luck with a different brand.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #540
Inanimate Carbon Rod

It is almost always easier to take/ship it back to the store. I've had a evga DOA card (560ti) before - shi*t happens. I'm currently using a Sapphire 6950 2gb which came pre-softmodded from the factory as a 6970.
Last edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod; 11-27-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #541
KO Gilligan

I'd take an EVGA or a XFX over a Sapphire - although I have had a few Sapphire cards. It's a good value brand. In fact I think a machine here is running a Sapphire 4650.

All new technology is subject to DOA. My non-overclocked Sapphire x1800 died a fiery death, went out with an erie smell... but those cards ran hella hot back then.
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 11-27-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #542
8IronBob

Well, I had a Sapphire HD 5850 before switching the the current EVGA 680, and had no trouble with Sapphire at all. However, now that I went back to EVGA, I'm probably better off, sure, but it wasn't from the Superclocked line, nor from the backplate lines of the Signature Series (I think they called it), but even with the stock 680 from EVGA, no problems.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #543
Rapture_Rising

Quote:
Well, I had a Sapphire HD 5850 before switching the the current EVGA 680, and had no trouble with Sapphire at all. However, now that I went back to EVGA, I'm probably better off, sure, but it wasn't from the Superclocked line, nor from the backplate lines of the Signature Series (I think they called it), but even with the stock 680 from EVGA, no problems.
Maybe i just got a dodgy card but from reading online the issues i had with my card is a common problem.

My card is being tested by the mob who i bought it from so hopefully i can get a full refund and get myself a new GTX 680.

I was looking at a Palit GTX 680 Jetstream, it fits into my case and looks like to have adequate cooling with three fans. Hopefully i can get back into hi-res gaming goodness soon.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #544
Rapture_Rising

I got my new card, the company i bought the card from gave me a replacement card and not a refund which i wanted but i finally have closure.

But i am worried about trying to run games now.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #545
KO Gilligan

Quote:
I got my new card, the company i bought the card from gave me a replacement card and not a refund which i wanted but i finally have closure.

But i am worried about trying to run games now.
It'll be under warranty for a long time. EVGA warranties seem to vary from 3 to 10 years. I remember EVGA and XFX had lifetime warranties a few years ago.
At least you know they'll take care of you. But like I said, welcome to the bleeding edge. If you would have bought a $200 card, the likelyhood of having issues goes down.

EVGA wants you to register in the first 30 days, then you can get a step-up warranty or an extended warranty ( I have no idea how much it costs) depending on you country code or something.
Seems to me that a card will usually die after a few years... I buy extra coverage on a lot of my stuff. The two year screen breakage on my daughter's tablet was a no-brainer. I suppose you could weigh up the cost of the extra coverage against the fact that the card will only be worth a fraction of the original cost by the time the first warranty runs out.
Check it out now - you got a couple weeks left to qualify:
http://eu.evga.com/support/warranty/
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 12-08-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #546
KO Gilligan

MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850

Over at Newegg $180 after a $20 mail in rebate, and you get coupon vouchers for Bioshock Infinity, and the new Tomb Raider game.

I'm trying to scrape up the funds, but I don't think I'll have it quick enough.
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814127663

The Powercolor Radeon HD 7870 PCS+ has a similar deal going at a few vendors - the manufacturer rebate is good through the month.
If I'm not mistaken, the 7870 is a good bit faster... Not so sure about PowerColor, but it's not like MSI is the best either.

The coupon vouchers for Bioshock Infinity, and the new Tomb Raider game are available on various ATI deals, so I hope I'll find an alternative.
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 02-05-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #547
KO Gilligan

GTX Titan ( no I don't plan on getting one just yet )
• 2688 CUDA Cores
• 4.5 Teraflops
• 384 bit mem running at 6Gbps

http://www.nvidia.com/titan-graphics-card
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 02-21-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #548
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I'm looking to upgrade my GPU soon.
Very soon should things work out at... uhh... work. Chance for a nice bonus, and if so will grab a new card.
Not sure where exactly I'd go, or which model... but I will stay with Nvidia.

My GTX 460 is holding up nicely, managing solid performance in Crysis 3 and such. But, it never hurts to plan ahead.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 03-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #549
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
I'm looking to upgrade my GPU soon.
Very soon should things work out at... uhh... work. Chance for a nice bonus, and if so will grab a new card.
Not sure where exactly I'd go, or which model... but I will stay with Nvidia.

My GTX 460 is holding up nicely, managing solid performance in Crysis 3 and such. But, it never hurts to plan ahead.
I was wondering what you were playing Tomb Raider on. I have the crippled 192 bit version of the GTX 460.

It was a nice value at the time, and it served me well, but now I am overdue. Probably buy Tomb Raider and the Card next month. Tax return is coming in a couple weeks.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #550
8IronBob

Bah. I could never really get into 3DTV Play/3D Vision, while I do like the 3D TV that I have hooked up to my PC, I just felt that well, maybe going to a 27" IPS WQHD LED would be better. That's when I decided. Well, maybe I'll use this as my bedroom TV and hook my PS3 up to it, if I wanted to play 3D games or watch Blu-Ray 3D movies on it, and hope that would be of better benefit. However, while I thought that 3DTV Play was good, I just see this as a distraction from my gaming experience on the PC. I'm hoping that Dell's U2713HMs come back in stock on Newegg soon, so I can snatch one up at a good price (hopefully), since they have that 10% special on them for the next two - three days.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #551
8IronBob

Well, I rather got the 24" version the U2412M, I know it won't be the super 1440p resolution, but at least it has all the other good stuff that Dell includes with their other Ultrasharps with the IPS panel, and the LED backlighting, etc... So no biggie. Just a shame that it doesn't use HDMI connectivity, but I don't really see myself using 3D Vision anymore, anyway. Plus I'm sure that I saw at least one DVI connection on the GTX 680.

EDIT: Dammit! Should have figured that the HP ZR2440w was the better monitor this gen... Guess after having a Dell 2408WFP, I thought that the U2412M would have been an improvement over that... Guess not.
http://computer-monitors.findthebest...raSharp-U2412M
Last edited by 8IronBob; 04-16-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #552
8IronBob

Installed a second DVD-RW drive and a 1 TB HDD today (both were success, although a tight squeeze).

Seagate Constellation ES ST1000NM0011 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Hard Drive

...and this:

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

All in all, these seem to be rather decent additions to my rig, and give it new storage and workflow when it comes to installing and/or playing games or using other software/apps.
Looks like the 1 TB HDD will become my new Steam Drive (along with games off of physical media), while I use the 500GB for more serious software (Maya, Photoshop, Zbrush, MS Office, Visual Studio, Poser Pro 2012, etc...), and the 640GB HDD for storing assets and/or files to use or that I create for those apps. All in all, it's not bad. Still using the 160GB SSD for Windows and for most crucial software (Internet Security, web browsers, drivers/utilities, etc...)
Last edited by 8IronBob; 06-01-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:10 AM   #553
Rapture_Rising

Yeah, i should really get around to buying a new Blu-Ray burner and SSD money has been tight and these are things i would love but don't really need.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #554
KO Gilligan

That's my favorite DVD writer. I have several because the price is always right, and occasionally they'll come up for about $16-$20 w/free shipping and I'll grab an extra. I think I have about 4 of them in the machines we have in my house and they always seem to burn disks flawlessly. The ehammer software for that drive will take any written disk and properly obliterate the data for thorough disposal - it's the only burner I know of that does it.

I remember some wisdom from last time I talked about this feature:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inanimate Carbon Rod View Post
I just pop the cd/dvd in the microwave for 5-10 seconds = same effect.
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 06-02-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #555
8IronBob

Quote:
Yeah, i should really get around to buying a new Blu-Ray burner and SSD money has been tight and these are things i would love but don't really need.
I already had a BD-RE and 160GB SSD since Windows 7 was launched, but then again, times were slightly better when I built this PC originally. Although who knows when I'll get around to building a whole new rig again, knowing how things are?

All I can really do now is extend the functionality and the storage space of my existing rig... I think I've pretty much stretched the limit in terms of how far I can upgrade this without having to build a whole new rig. Just don't see building a whole new one until times improve.
Last edited by 8IronBob; 06-02-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #556
KO Gilligan

TigerDirect.com has an EVGA GTX460 at $49 (after today-only rebate) - it's an overclocked 256bit version, so it should blow away my 192bit version.

I got a deal on the first one a long time ago, and although I was worried after seeing some of the benchmarks, the 192bit version just blazes on the top settings on most of my games.

I recently bought an HD7790 - that thing is a beast and it came with free games. My kids are gamers too, so no-worries, all the cards will go to good use.
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 07-31-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #557
KO Gilligan

They had this on one of those deal of the day sites... I picked it up for $24.99 New - sealed - not refurb
SteelSeries Merc $24.99 free shipping

One of the coolest things about it (besides it's looks) is the fact it doesn't rely on a bunch of proprietary keys like the office and gaming boards in the past. It has some optional gaming keyboard software, but the game pad is an extension of the already popular qweasd movement keys, including the keys that you would normally use with that hand. There is a key to change the background color and one for the brightness. there is 3 added keys to launch apps, 1 to launch keyboard software, and the usual media player/volume keys. The arrow keys are shoved under the numbers, and the numbers have pgup/pgdn as number key alternates. Because of that, it won't be a good keyboard for playing the old DOS based shooters which don't have keymapping, since those typically relied on the traditional number and arrow pads.

So far it's had no significant learning curve since the game pad is well placed. The keys have a very different feel, and they are rather sensitive. All keys are "rubberized" according to the manufacturer. They do have a comfy rebound, but it's probably susceptible to wear and tear - and it's definitely not a mechanical board feel.

Verdict: For $25, I should have bought 2
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 10-16-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #558
KO Gilligan

Quote:
TigerDirect.com has an EVGA GTX460 at $49 (after today-only rebate) - it's an overclocked 256bit version, so it should blow away my 192bit version.

I got a deal on the first one a long time ago, and although I was worried after seeing some of the benchmarks, the 192bit version just blazes on the top settings on most of my games.

I recently bought an HD7790 - that thing is a beast and it came with free games. My kids are gamers too, so no-worries, all the cards will go to good use.
As a follow up on this card - yes I got it for $49, but it was a recertified/refurb packaged by EVGA, and it should have gone in their recycling.

It came with a year warranty. Within a couple days I noticed some minor artifacts, and my system occasionally locked up - I wasn't sure it was the card, but I had suspicions.
A few days ago, the artifacts filled the screen in multi-colored pixel splash across the screen and then the PC shut down. Cost me $12 to ship it to EVGA on the RMA, should be getting a new one any day...
Well... It was $49
Old 10-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #559
KO Gilligan

Received a replacement for my recertified card. It's another recertified card but it seems to be running great, no artifacts. All is good except the additional shipping.

I've been very happy with factory refurbished stuff in the past - it usually means the item has actually been updated with parts or firmware, or the product was available because somebody changed their mind.

Vendor refurbs are another story, like those "Redemtech" items, and customer returns. I buy used stuff from Microcenter and I take about 10% back to the store. They are close so no loss. That being said, I try to read the reviews on the specific recertified item at Newegg.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #560
Jeff

A mechanical (clacky) keyboard like they used to have in the early 1980s. Very well built too.