Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
FullMetalJacket
Printer not working
I guess my laptop's problems come in pairs. So my Asus G73 laptop with Win7 has an HP Deskjet F4180 printer. It has fresh, aligned ink cartridges and the latest drivers, and plenty of paper of course. It is selected as the active device. There have never been any compatibility issues. I've never had any problems using its printer, scanner or copier functions. Suddenly, today when I try to print any documents at all, the documents are sent to the printer but nothing happens.

Any ideas?

"My father would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy; the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament."
Old 10-19-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
Jiminator

Re: Printer not working
first see if the printer prints. usually you do this by holding down some buttons for a few seconds, then it should print a test page.

second, can you still receive scanned docs from it?

third, try opening printer properties and delete any waiting tasks

then you may want to delete and reinstall the print driver, but that is questionable

GL
Old 10-20-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
Dopefish7590

Printer problems huh..?

Try holding your [Windows Key] and tapping [Pause/Break] and click the "Device Manager" from the left pane. From here, navigate to "Printers > <Your Printer.>"

Does the device have any problems on the driver side? If yes, reinstall the driver, if no... (It just says disconnected or something), try doing what Jiminator mentioned and print a test page from the printer itself... (Commonly done by holding "Enter" on most printers... Can't find any info about it for yours.)

If that prints fine, it is a communication problem and not a bad driver or printer. There are many a reason why these occur, so i can't give you info on those without greater detail about your problem.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
NutWrench

Check the print spooler and see if it's set to Pause Printing for some weird reason. . .
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 10-31-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
Nessus

When you click on the printer icon do you see your jobs lined up there in the que unexecuted or are they do they just blink there and are gone? You want to know if the job is actually getting to the printer.

First thing I'd do after simple troubleshooting is reinstall a new printer object and see if it works. Sometimes the driver or some part of software will get corrupted.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Have you tried restarting your laptop?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
FullMetalJacket
Thanks for all the tips. It's working now. Turns out the USB cable was just plugged into a bad port on my laptop. The laptop is brand new and I'm not sure how a USB port can just stop working, but that's all it was.

Still can't connect to the Internet without my BlackBerry or an air card, though...

"My father would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy; the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament."