Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > Archives > General Messages > Non 3DR Game Discussion
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #961
Niap!

Re: Doom 4 Thread Part 2
I'm looking forward to D4, would like to see it at QuakeCon. Also looking forward to seeing what Carmack is up to with the VR Head Mounted Display, Some pretty interesting stuff.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #962
dan2091

I read some details that has been revealed at GameInformer about Quake-Con 2012. I hope Doom 4 and the RAGE DLC get unveiled there.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #963
flying scotsman
It looks like Doom 3 : BFG will be a star there,good to hear that.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #964
Nihilanth

As I wrote before, for some reason I'm not very optimistic about id showing DOOM this year. But... QuakeCon starts in exactly one week, so if you want to speculate, here's a tweet from Evolve PR:

"Going to QuakeCon? We'll be revealing the revival of a much-loved classic PC shooter at the show. What could it be?"

BFG has already been revealed, RAGE is not classic, Quake and Wolfenstein are not in the works, so...
Old 07-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #965
Kit

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a new Quake game. One that's more fitting with the visual style of the first one or Quake 3.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #966
hellchicken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
I actually wouldn't mind seeing a new Quake game. One that's more fitting with the visual style of the first one [...].
So.....just play Minecraft...........

Old 07-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #967
NutWrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellchicken View Post
So.....just play Minecraft...........
I finally found out that if you hold down SHIFT while moving, you won't fall off the edge of your current block. I wish I had known about this earlier: it would have saved me a lot of embarrassment and aggravation.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 07-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #968
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I've seen articles across various sites that make my head hurt.
IGN had on about how id has job listings posted and how "this possibly means a new Doom is in the works"...
And I've seen other sites saying the same thing. That id are hiring for various positions, so maybe they are working on a new Doom...

You mean the game they announced three years ago. The game they mention each Quakecon... the one they've said will be out shortly after RAGE and will make expanded use of the idTech5 Engine?
So every time Carmack talks up this "Doom team" it wasn't just a dream... it was real? WOW. Thanks dipshits. Never would've figured out a new Doom was on the way.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 07-29-2012, 02:34 AM   #969
Nihilanth

Yeah. I've noticed it a couple of times that some sites act as if DOOM 4 hasn't been announced. And every time something pops up, other sites copy&paste that and spread misinformation. Not that it really hurts anyone too much (in this practicular case) but it shows lack of competence. And a really short memory considering every site did a bunch of articles on DOOM 4 around QC08.

We're also almost on a four years of development mark (in two days) counting from the official announcement on QC08. Surely you must have reached a point where you can show something, hm, id?
Old 07-29-2012, 02:50 AM   #970
Kristian Joensen

Perhaps not. It depends on both how long of a hype period they want to go for and how far along they are. They are hiring a UI guy to work on next gen consoles. Doom 4 being retooled for the Xbox 720 and/or PS4 could explain the id layoffs a while back.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:07 AM   #971
Nihilanth

Yup, that's one of the things that they've had a comfort of not having to talk or show DOOM because they were hyping RAGE. I can totally see them skipping DOOM to talk about minor projects to keep the DOOM 4 hype period to the minimum. Something like: "Here's a trailer and a release date, it's coming in 3-6 months", instead of "Here's a trailer but we have no idea when it'll be done".

As for new consoles, Carmack has said it a couple of times, even back in 2008, that they are taking steps to make sure that, if needed, they can end up with a cross-generational title. So I'm sure they were prepared on the graphical side, even quite recently Tim Willits said that id Tech 5 scales easily so they can just turn it up if needed. I'm not sure about tools and stuff like that. I don't know if that's something that could cause a major setback.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:35 AM   #972
Nihilanth

So... QuakeCon starts in less than 7,5 hours, if I'm correct. There's no info about any kind of stream so far, although Carmack tweeted some should be posted on QC.org. If anyone comes across anything, do post it.

I still have a feeling we won't see DOOM this year. Part of me wants to think we will, as always, but despite all the positive things, I'm not optimistic at all. If nothing's there, I will still gladly listen to the keynote but there isn't really anything else I look forward to.

If there's no DOOM, no way they'll even mention RAGE 2 or anything else. BFG Edition, while I'm excited for it, there isn't anything that I desperately need to know about it. RAGE DLC is something I'm semi-interested in, more RAGE sounds great, but that's no priority for me.

EDIT: Carmack just posted that QC stream will be over here.
Last edited by Nihilanth; 08-02-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #973
Rapture_Rising

The only legit reason i can think of for why Doom 4 didnt show up this year is because id are developing it for the next gen of consoles and they cant reveal anything until Sony and Microsoft unveil their consoles.

I cant really see the logic in holding Doom 4 back because of Doom 3 BFG edition and possible RAGE DLC.

In my opinion, id has missed the window for Rage DLC, the game has been out for nearly a year and i really cant see the point of releasing DLC now.

I would love to see Doom 4 this year but i am not going to get my hopes up.
Last edited by Rapture_Rising; 08-02-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:15 AM   #974
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

The Doom 3 BFG Edition is a attempt to draw in the console market to the Doom series. PS3 and 360 users that haven't played Doom before, the BFG edition allows them to experience the series before Doom 4 is released.

Will we see D4 at QuakeCon? Who knows. There's always a chance. With id, nothing it certain on what/when they will show anything.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 08-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #975
Nihilanth

No DOOM 4. They are in the "Bethesda mode" and not talking about it, it'll be done when it's done.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #976
Kit

Disappointing to hear. Was there any news regarding the 'revival of a much loved ip' tweet?
Old 08-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #977
Kristian Joensen

That would be ROTT.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #978
Darkman 4
The skeptical side of me thinks that really means "The game isn't at the state when it'll look like the final version". I'm also guessing that Doom 3: BFG Edition is also taking up resources that could be used for Doom 4.

My guess is that D4 will be announced, at minimum, January or February 2013, after Doom 3: BFE Edition is out and most of the post-launch support it needs has been done.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #979
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Doom 3: BFG Edition has an incredibly small team of people working on it. Not nearly enough people to be "hurting" Doom 4's development cycle.

It's surprising that for a studio that is incredibly well known for taking ungodly amounts of time working on a title, that people are annoyed that id haven't shown anything yet.
And it's even more so surprising that people are surprised that id haven't debuted Doom 4 at QuakeCon.
id almost never debuts their own games at QuakeCon. They'll show off a game they are working with another studio. Or they'll show off games from studios that have solid connections with...

But they almost always tend to debut their games at events like Apple Worldwide Developers Conference (RAGE) or E3, or Macworld Conference & Expo (Doom 3).

Despite id saying a long time that with RAGE doing all the groundwork Doom 4 would be out really soon after RAGE was out... I didn't truly buy it.
With how id works, I always figured Doom 4 would still be a ways off after RAGE released. Hell, id originally projected RAGE for 2009... and it came out at the end of 2011.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #980
Darkman 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
Doom 3: BFG Edition has an incredibly small team of people working on it. Not nearly enough people to be "hurting" Doom 4's development cycle.
Oh. For some reason, I thought there was a medium or so size amount of people developing it. Some of the stuff I've read about it's development seemed to hint at a medium-sized group, though that was probably just me misinterpreting.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #981
Nihilanth

In reply to Kit's question in Wishlist thread I decided to make a rundown of recent facts regarding the state of DOOM 4. Keep in mind that although facts, there's no proof that any of those are:

* a sign of trouble (present or past)
* a sign of progress
* anything meaningful at all

You can make your own theories if you wish. I don't have anything else safe for my own speculations. So here we go:

* Since 2008 id have been aiming to grow and have two internal projects at a time. Zenimax aquisition was a good way to boost that process. That goal remained until 2011. In 2012 all projects including mobile and prototype work on RAGE 2 were ceased to get everyone at the company to work on DOOM 4. Id is back to working on one game, despite being larger. Whether these are natural growing pains or the urgent need to bring the game back on track (or both), remains unknown.

* BFG Edition is generally viewed as a reminder of the DOOM franchise before DOOM 4 ships. That might imply DOOM 4 is not far behind.

* RAGE has been out for over a year. With BFG Edition out the door, nothing else appears to be in the pipeline safe for DOOM 4. However, the rumoured RAGE DLC and the recently found achievements for it suggest this might be another project before DOOM 4. Unlike mobile and RAGE 2, it's unknown whether DLC has been ceased as well (probably not due to the aforementioned achievement list).

* In early 2012 there was a massive leak of screenshots and assets allegedly from DOOM 4. Matt Hooper commented that those have "nothing to do with what we're gonna see in DOOM 4", leaving it uncertain whether those are conceptual shots from DOOM 4 / RAGE DLC / something else. Wayland Fong who was an associate technical designer on DOOM 4 uses one of those shots on his portfolio site in DOOM 4 section.

* He also mentioned that he was working on DOOM 4 during its Pre-Alpha stage and he worked on it until early 2012. This indicates the game was still in Pre-Alpha at the very least until early 2012 (maybe it still is).

* Between late 2011 and early 2012 there were notable layoffs at id. While the employee turnoever is natural for a big company, there are two things worth mentioning:

- John Mulkey, lead game designer / design director for DOOM 4, who's been at the team since the very beginning (2008), left in late 2011. It appears he was soon replaced by Mike Wikan who was let go in early 2012
- Layoffs in early 2012 also affected Mark Bristol, art director / cinematic art director / story writer for DOOM 4 who has been at the team since the beginning (2008) as well

I'm not familiar with the way companies operate so I don't know if layoffs affecting long-time members on important positions like the above mentioned are significant or not.

* Kevin Cloud was confirmed to be a project leader for DOOM 4, even on QC11 during 20 years of id panel everyone directed a DOOM related question to him. On QC12 however Carmack mentioned bringing Matt Hooper to talk about the game. Whether he replaced Cloud as the project leader or not remains unknown.

* Carmack mentioned during QC12 that they've made a lot of mistakes with DOOM 4 however he also said most of them are "water under the bridge" now.
Last edited by Nihilanth; 12-09-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #982
Kit

My take on the news above is there was almost certainly a restart. Also, if they really have got rid of the art director then this is quite welcome news as I checked out the screenshots that leaked and they didn't exactly scream 'Doom'. The teams a lot bigger now I assume since they got Rage out the way (I recall Carmack saying they'd all be focusing on Doom 4 once Rage was completed) so there's hopefully a good chance we'll see it at next years QC, that is unless they've moved the Rage team to make a sequel and/or a new Quake game - which would be awesome!
Old 12-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #983
Nihilanth

Nope, the RAGE team appears to have moved in its entirety to the DOOM team. During QC12 Carmack said that there was a very strong urge to roll a bunch of the people to start making things happen on RAGE 2 but they decided DOOM 4 is the top priority and all the resources go there.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #984
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I don't see why people think/assume there's a restart. id is known for taking ungodly long to finish their games.
And just because people have come and gone doesn't mean they up and scratched everything only to rebuild it.

id commented that Doom would be revealed once they were finished with RAGE and then they would talk release window. Originally stating they were hoping to get Doom out within a year.
But, there's been a lot of rumors and slips towards the Scorchers DLC for RAGE, showing they aren't finished with RAGE.
And Carmack stated after RAGE's release that they learned a lot from it. That developing it first on consoles and working it onto PC was the wrong thing to do, that future releases would be PC games first, then toned down and worked onto consoles. This can imply that they have restructured a lot of Doom's development to get it refocused as a PC game first.

The "leak" from last year... it looked more like RAGE DLC to me. I know a few people from inside id did list a couple screens as being from Doom, and it is possible since this Doom will take place on Earth.
And really, I hope the next Doom looks like Earth, only torn apart and in ruins. Like those leaked screens imply.

And John Mulkey, he left id to go to work at Gearbox. He's said in the past he doesn't like being stuck on a single project for years and years, as he feels you start to stagnate and your passion for the project can start to disappear.
Working at Monolith for many years, he saw many games start and finish (for this industry) rather quickly. And once he felt FEAR 2 was solid in it's production and development, he stepped down from lead on it and went to id.

Only to be stuck on a single project for three years. He's said a few times that he's really happy at GBX with how things are structured there. The amount of different projects, and how the team works together.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #985
Nihilanth

It's possible the iteration process takes longer than everyone would like it to. Not necessary a restart like "ok, we've worked on it for 3 years but it's not going anywhere, let's start over". More like they're iterating looking for a perfect spot, they build, scrap, test and probably this takes the most time.

Do you remember where Carmack talked about the PC-first thing you mentioned? I don't think I've read that, must have missed it.

By the way, it's December 10th. The original DOOM is 19 years old!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #986
Fragger00
Concerning Rage DLC (if it hasn't come out yet), I have some friends in the gaming industry and I've been told there is a contractual requirement for AAA games to create DLC. For that reason, I'm 100% certain RAGE DLC will be released.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #987
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Seriously...
You're really gonna try and pass that off as an actual "real" statement?

There are contractual obligations for some games that are discussed and settled upon by the publisher. But, it's not a stipulation for every "AAA" game released.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #988
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
Seriously...
You're really gonna try and pass that off as an actual "real" statement?

There are contractual obligations for some games that are discussed and settled upon by the publisher. But, it's not a stipulation for every "AAA" game released.
Actually, he was making a general statement, or his friend was, about an arangement that is now common or overwhelmingly applied to the AAA games that fit that model. I've made a few friends who teach game making from the perspective of actually having worked on some more recent AAA titles - one is a resident professor teaching it - one is an part-time adjunct who's still doing it in an advisory capacity on a full time basis. It's an irony about how intense I am about generalizing and blanketing statements, and he just made one. But, as many seem to apply here - in context, it was a very accurate statement.

(It's actually a good thing for the developer, and they negotiate it in - they are not literally "made to do it". It's just a known norm of development that is often applied - I assume studios are persuaded a little bit when you want your studio in good favor.)
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 12-15-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #989
ZuljinRaynor

I have an uncle who works at Nintendo...
Old 12-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #990
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
I have an uncle who works at Nintendo...
In a gaming class we watched a Miyamoto video where he was doing a lecture about Nintendo history and he talked the future of handheld gaming and handheld integration. He is definitely a visionary. I can't find the video on you tube, but that WiiU is apparently the fruits of those ideas. I guess we'll see after Chistmas how it is recieved.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #991
Fragger00
That is what I was told. I suppose it might not be true.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #992
KO Gilligan

In the correct context it is accurate. If a publisher is eager to include a DLC arrangement, and not just a binder on the rights, it's great news.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #993
Rapture_Rising

Tis a sad article.

http://kotaku.com/after-the-disaster...de-s-468213583

For those that dont want to jump, the main gist of the article is that id rebooted/ restarted Doom 4 because they felt like it was turning into Call of Duty and id are suffering from staff disharmony and mismanagement.

According to the article that its being developed for next gen consoles which makes sense as to why id haven't revealed anything yet, i remain optimistic as for them revealing something at this years E3 or QuakeCon but ultimately i wont be disappointed if they dont.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #994
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Yes, because if Kotaku posts it... it must be one hundred percent true.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #995
Nihilanth

Even if it's not 100% true, Bethesda confirmed a restart. And it all comes together. We won't see the game for a long time.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #996
dan2091

How could a restart because it was turning into Call of Duty be a bad thing? Cinematic pieces and obligatory vehicle combat part... tst

If true, I'm glad they had a management good enough to see the game was bad once they put an eye on it. Shame the parallel dev teams idea didn't work out, but again, if true, it's for the better that they just focus on one game at a time.
Last edited by dan2091; 04-03-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #997
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2091 View Post
How could a restart because it was turning into Call of Duty be a bad thing? Cinematic pieces and obligatory vehicle combat part... tst
Exactly.
If it was turning into Call of Duty in Doom, it needed to be restarted. And I'm glad id did so.
id is a 'one game at a time' type of studio. I think they attempted too much by doing RAGE and Doom at once.
Should've focused on RAGE, then worked on Doom. Not done both at the same time, specially when all the focus was on RAGE.

But, id can take all the time they need. They are, IMO, one of the few studios I'm more then willing to wait for.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #998
Nihilanth

Well of course ditching the Call of Duty clone is a good thing. But the main thing is that it shows id's lack of focus and management skills. It's not just because they've had RAGE going. They never knew what they wanted DOOM 4 to be. And maybe they still don't know.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #999
Kit

Sounds like the right call has been made. None of the fans want a shit CoD clone. Doom deserves to be epic.

Just a bit sad we won't see another Doom game for so long now.

I blame the *******s who wanted to work on the game to add a bit of spice to their CV - like that guy from NASA.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #1000
MAT

What guy? I don't know that story and it sounds interesting.

How do you take someone seriously when their sig is the machine stats? -Tea Monster