Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > Archives > General Messages > Non 3DR Game Discussion
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #521
JobivanHiob

Re: Doom 4 Thread Part 2
DNF is in development!
Old 03-27-2010, 07:46 PM   #522
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xgthug View Post
OMG DON'T LET GEORGE SEE THIS... LOL

Well, seeing as DNF is no longer in development, I guess this is pretty irrelevant now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobivanHiob View Post
DNF is in development!
Wrong thread.

Doom 4... don't bring DNF into this.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 03-27-2010, 11:35 PM   #523
Duke's New Chainsaw

I think there's actually a whole forum section just for that...

Anyways, I can't wait to see some Doom 4.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:43 PM   #524
DerricktheW

How much longer? Half a year?
Old 03-28-2010, 12:21 AM   #525
Duke's New Chainsaw

Till we see something? QuakeCon is in August, so I'm betting on something being shown there.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:48 AM   #526
DerricktheW

So... five months?

*starts rolling the clock forward*
Old 03-28-2010, 04:06 AM   #527
Nihilanth

Anticipation, after all... is everything.
- Malcolm Betruger
Old 03-28-2010, 05:20 AM   #528
Rapture_Rising

This is one of the very few games i am actually excited about but i doubt it would be released this year.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:31 AM   #529
Willem-Jan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe View Post
Without trying to go too much offtopic, for people who like Doom I and II for what it is like, monsters and non stop shooting, try the game Painkiller. With the game now being sold in many places for only 10 bucks, Painkiller is pure worth in Gold. Believe me, invest your 10 bucks in Painkiller if you are an FPS fan, and you will never ever regret :thumbsup: .
exactly, it looks a lot better and just is a lot cooler (with some awesome settings and many different enemies). And it throws hordes of enemies at you. Also it has the stakegun, the most satisfying gun i ever fired.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:11 AM   #530
Nihilanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture_Rising View Post
This is one of the very few games i am actually excited about but i doubt it would be released this year.
It will definetely not be released this year. First half of 2011 at the earliest. We'll probably have more hints at QuakeCon on whether it's gonna be that or later.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:53 PM   #531
MegaMustaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willem-Jan View Post
exactly, it looks a lot better and just is a lot cooler (with some awesome settings and many different enemies). And it throws hordes of enemies at you. Also it has the stakegun, the most satisfying gun i ever fired.
And it is totally nothing like Doom. It locks you into an area, until you clear it and move on. Doom makes you navigate, and plays more like a traditional shooter. While I like both PK and Doom, I hate hearing the two being compared. I hate the comparison to SS also. Besides Doom being a FPS, it doesn't have much at all in common with the previously mentioned games.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:25 AM   #532
Phayzon

I too hate that comparison. I dont know why people see Doom as a 'z0mg hordes of enemys!11!' game. Maybe its a misguided memory since they havent played it since the DOS days? Seriously guys, grab a source port and go back and look at Doom, there isn't thousands (barely even hundreds, I think only a few maps have more than 100 monsters) of enemies everywhere like PK and SS.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:01 AM   #533
DerricktheW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phayzon View Post
I too hate that comparison. I dont know why people see Doom as a 'z0mg hordes of enemys!11!' game. Maybe its a misguided memory since they havent played it since the DOS days? Seriously guys, grab a source port and go back and look at Doom, there isn't thousands (barely even hundreds, I think only a few maps have more than 100 monsters) of enemies everywhere like PK and SS.
They still throw quite a few monsters at you at once.

Instead of 100's of weak cannon fodder, you get to fight a few hell knights, cacodemons, pain elementals that are spawning lost souls, and some imps for good measure, all within these small corridors. Its utter chaos, and your scrambling to try to kill everything while dodging projectiles and looking for ammo while just trying to stay alive and get that blue skull key. And its awesome.

It may not be this horde of enemies in groups of the 100's, but the game still throws big groups of enemies at you none the less.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:52 AM   #534
Nihilanth

I agree with MegaMustaine and Phayzon. I love Painkiller but I've always been saying that it's nothing like DOOM. It's a shooter and it has no story except for episode endings, that's it. In terms of gameplay it's totally different.

Going back to the new DOOM, it'll be interesting see which direction they've actually pursued in terms of gameplay itself. We know it's supposed to be more "action oriented like DOOM II" but it's also said to be cinematic with lots of scripted sequences.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:53 AM   #535
predefined
I'm most curious about how awesome the graphics are going to be!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #536
Rapture_Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilanth View Post
It will definetely not be released this year. First half of 2011 at the earliest. We'll probably have more hints at QuakeCon on whether it's gonna be that or later.
My guess would be around christmas 2011 or sometime before QuakeCon 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predefined View Post
I'm most curious about how awesome the graphics are going to be!
By going on the screenshots of Rage, makes me think that Doom 4 will have awesome graphics. 5 Months to QuakeCon 2010 and hopefully some cool screenshots.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #537
Sabarasa
Remember that some people compare it to Serious sam as well...
Old 03-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #538
MrAdidaking

http://planetdoom.gamespy.com/View.p...es.Detail&id=7

Make It Fake contest at planet doom. I like the winning contest's idea about letting the player choose what kind of game it will be- More like Doom/Doom 2, more like Doom 3, or an even deeper version of doom 3.

check it out

ps- i am not sure if this has been posted, if so sorry :/
Old 03-29-2010, 05:04 PM   #539
Hudson

I have my doubts that they're going to be backtracking to the Doom/Doom 2 style of gameplay. I have a feeling they're just going to make a 'next-gen' version of Doom 3 with the added feature of having a light attached to your gun
[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Old 03-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #540
MrAdidaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
I have my doubts that they're going to be backtracking to the Doom/Doom 2 style of gameplay. I have a feeling they're just going to make a 'next-gen' version of Doom 3 with the added feature of having a light attached to your gun
yeah i figure the same, but one can always hope....
Old 03-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #541
MegaMustaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabarasa View Post
Remember that some people compare it to Serious sam as well...
I think if you go and read my post you will see that I mentioned Sam Stone as well.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:29 AM   #542
Sabarasa
Sorry, I just skimmed through everything. I'm at work :P
Old 03-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #543
Opus131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
I have my doubts that they're going to be backtracking to the Doom/Doom 2 style of gameplay.
All they'd have to do is back track to Doom/Doom 2 atmosphere.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #544
Nihilanth

The unfortunate thing is that this game will most likely disappoint many people no matter what. Sometimes I think that hey, it's DOOM, how hard can it be to recapture the feel and atmosphere of it? It's so simple after all. But then I look around and see that the simplicity, beauty of DOOM that people love, as strange as it may seem, means very, very different things to every person.

Id said that the new DOOM goes back to action style of classic DOOM. Most people are happy about that assuming what I've said: it's DOOM, what can they possibly do wrong? But think about it. We all think we love this game for more or less the same things. Again, because it's simple. But when it comes down to saying what is the core of DOOM? Hundreds of opinions. Some will say it's the mix of navigation and combat. Others will say it's just this mindless, crazy massacre. Someone else will say it's atmosphere alone. I was stunned to find how many different things are "core" in DOOM for different people. Think how different newer games are named as the closest things to classic DOOM (or Duke3D, or Quake).

And that's the problem. Not only the amount of possible "core" aspects of the game but also the fact that we're no longer in 1993. If every person tried to create the best classic DOOM follow-up with todays possibilities, we'd get games focused on very different aspects. Some would focus on simple gameplay, others on atmosphere and so on.

What I'm trying to say is that even though new DOOM is supposed to be what DOOM was in 1993, but with new technology, everyone should manage their expectations. Because DOOM means different things to id as well. They'll create a game that is truly DOOM but in their minds. And that may be very different from what these or those fans think. It may even end up with a situation where it'll be hard to say whether they're right or wrong with their decisions. Maybe many fans will be disappointed but hey, that's just what they thought is core to DOOM. Unless they do something totally wrong but I'm thinking about the more positive turn-out of events.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #545
MegaMustaine

No Romero = no original Doom feel.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #546
MrAdidaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMustaine View Post
No Romero = no original Doom feel.
i wish romero would be hired back at id.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #547
Phayzon

To capture all of the Doom feel I think id just needs to remake* Doom 1 with hi-res textures, modeled weapons, enemies and items etc. on idTech5. Aside that, there will always be something missing.

*Doom3 was supposedly a remake/retelling. I mean like, same maps and monster layout and everything identical, just with todays advancements (Lighting, reloading weapons, hardware 3D, etc).
Old 04-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #548
Kien

Quote:
To capture all of the Doom feel I think id just needs to remake* Doom 1 with hi-res textures, modeled weapons, enemies and items etc. on idTech5. Aside that, there will always be something missing.

*Doom3 was supposedly a remake/retelling. I mean like, same maps and monster layout and everything identical, just with todays advancements (Lighting, reloading weapons, hardware 3D, etc).
A llah' SSHD.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #549
Duke's New Chainsaw

Um................................................ no.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #550
Delicieuxz

Quote:
Yeah... A retelling isn't a remake, and Doom 3 was not a remake in any way. Doom 3 was a polished turd that still stank.
Anticipating: GTA V, The Banner Saga, Wasteland 2, Assassin's Creed III, Overgrowth, Star Wars: 1313, Double Fine Adventure, Grim Dawn, Guild Wars 2, Doom 4, MechWarrior Online, Hawken, Far Cry 3, Dishonored, Xenonauts, Baldur's Gate EE
Old 04-03-2010, 05:49 AM   #551
Nihilanth

Quote:

Well, in that case there would be something missing: the feel of the game because it would not be so "classic" anymore.

Not sure how serious you are but I would never, ever, ever want id to do something like this.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #552
Phayzon

I was serious about the point that that is probably the only way to capture almost all of the Doom feel in a new game. I agree with you though, I wouldnt want id to do that.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #553
Kien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke's New Chainsaw View Post
Um................................................ no.
Making Doom HD I mean.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #554
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Any future Doom game will always disappoint the masses because the originals are held to such high praises.
It doesn't matter how great, how much work and energy id put into future Doom games... when compared to the "classics" the fans love and know in and out... it will never measure up.

Trying to pinpoint what feels off, and what is holding it back won't work. It's a matter of nostalgic love and appreciation always makes up the largest portion of our opinions when judging a new sequel.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 04-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #555
MrAdidaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
Any future Doom game will always disappoint the masses because the originals are held to such high praises.
It doesn't matter how great, how much work and energy id put into future Doom games... when compared to the "classics" the fans love and know in and out... it will never measure up.

Trying to pinpoint what feels off, and what is holding it back won't work. It's a matter of nostalgic love and appreciation always makes up the largest portion of our opinions when judging a new sequel.

or maybe it was how boring and slow the gameplay was compared to the other two.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #556
Kien

And lack of old cool death animations.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #557
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAdidaking View Post
or maybe it was how boring and slow the gameplay was compared to the other two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kien View Post
And lack of old cool death animations.
Thank you both for proving my point.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #558
Bam050196

http://xboxfreedom.com/doom-4-xbox-360/

?? I think it's fake
Last edited by Bam050196; 04-03-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #559
WoodenSword

???

IMO Doom 3 was one of the best FPS out at its time. So was Doom and Doom 2.

But if you ask me now i would be bored to play Doom I now ( i tried it and closed it after one hour). But i would replay Doom 3 for days
Old 04-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #560
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Yes, I love Doom 3 as well as the first two. But, Doom 2 is easily the best in the series. Doom was revolutionary, but the level design is dull... and after playing Doom 2 with it's expanded enemy variety, far superior level design and atmosphere... the original just feels a bit meh.

Doom 3 is great, but it's not a run and gun shooter like the originals. And yes, id made some dumb moves with it. But, I still enjoy it.