Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > Archives > General Messages > Non 3DR Game Discussion
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #761
WarThrash

Re: Doom 4 Thread Part 2
I remember reading in a Rage interview that DOOM 4 was coming along and "it's awesome" So, I wonder if that implies that they have a decent amount of work done with it? So yeah, I'm guessing a year after Rage assuming we don't get major pushbacks
Old 07-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #762
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

id did hire a LOT of people to be able to work on two triple A titles at once. So, this is a completely new direction for the company. And, from the looks of things... a good one.

I'm so curious to see what D4 looks like though. Since it's supposed to look three times better than RAGE... Good... god.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 07-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #763
WarThrash

One thing I love about id's mentality. They try to make each game more awesome than the last. They stated that DOOM 4 will be better than RAGE. I mean how many game devs automatically say a game is going to be better than another game that they haven't even released yet? That's what I like in a game developer. id doesn't like spewing out the same crap with a different coat of paint. *looks at infinity ward and bungie*
Old 07-06-2010, 11:39 PM   #764
DerricktheW

At the same time that could make you think they don't have faith behind their first project or they don't think its all THAT good
Old 07-07-2010, 12:40 AM   #765
WarThrash

Yeah, you could think that but I think it really means that they are dedicated to pushing the envelope further and further with each game. I mean do you really want the same thing over and over again? Some people would argue yes and say "If you have a good formula, don't mess with it" but that really isn't the way to go with video games. I think if you're dedicated to improve with each new game then you're really making games the right way.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:54 AM   #766
Nihilanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
RAGE will have it's full time in the spotlight. It's release set for 2011... don't expect Doom 4 until 2012 or possibly even 2013.
That would be 5 years of development. With a finished tech. That would be just disturbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarThrash View Post
They stated that DOOM 4 will be better than RAGE.
Where did you get that from? I've read all RAGE / DOOM interviews and I don't recall anything like that.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:01 AM   #767
mtm5925

Quote:
Hopefully, it’ll be even more awesome than Rage. For us as a company, every game needs to be better than the last. I truly believe that Rage is the best game we’ve ever made. When we made Doom 3 I said, Doom 3 is the best game we’ve ever made and Rage will be better. Hopefully. Doom 4 needs to be even more awesome than Rage.
I guess this is what he's referring. It's quote from Tim Willits.
Last edited by mtm5925; 07-07-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:04 AM   #768
WarThrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilanth View Post
Where did you get that from? I've read all RAGE / DOOM interviews and I don't recall anything like that.
I'll try to find it.

EDIT: Here it is...and yes it's the comment mtm5925 posted

Quote:
Interviewer: OK. Now this is the part where I have to ask the obligatory Doom 4 question.

Willits: Oh yes. Still working on it! It's gonna be cool. It's gonna be awesome. Hopefully, it'll be even more awesome than Rage. For us as a company, every game needs to be better than the last. I truly believe that Rage is the best game we've ever made. When we made Doom 3 I said, Doom 3 is the best game we've ever made and Rage will be better. Hopefully. Doom 4 needs to be even more awesome than Rage.
and the link:
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/n...-Director.html
Last edited by WarThrash; 07-07-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #769
Gryph

You can't really use that as an objective statement of Doom being better than Rage. Every game company wants (or at least should) make their latest game to be the best game they've ever made.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #770
8IronBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
id did hire a LOT of people to be able to work on two triple A titles at once. So, this is a completely new direction for the company. And, from the looks of things... a good one.

I'm so curious to see what D4 looks like though. Since it's supposed to look three times better than RAGE... Good... god.
Sure, on top of being a partner company to Bethesda, chances are, they may get some additional help in getting things off the ground. Just how much additional help they'll be getting is unknown.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #771
Gryph

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post
Sure, on top of being a partner company to Bethesda, chances are, they may get some additional help in getting things off the ground. Just how much additional help they'll be getting is unknown.
That's a real stretch.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #772
peoplessi

Quote:
Well sure, in the way when Bethesda bought out id Software it allowed/made possible for them to hire a lot new talent as D_A said. In that sense they helped, but beyond that I think it's only marketing/distribution related stuff.

It would be cool in the future if those two entities would live from the same tech. Not the easiest task, but doable.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #773
WarThrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryph View Post
You can't really use that as an objective statement of Doom being better than Rage. Every game company wants (or at least should) make their latest game to be the best game they've ever made.
Most companies would never say another game will be superior to an unreleased game that has yet to hit the market (usually for marketing reasons). I'm saying it's the mentality that's cool. Sure, DOOM may not be better than RAGE but the fact that they are already striving for that before RAGE is even out, says that they really try to push for a good gaming experience.

I mean look at Halo, and Call of Duty. What did Modern Warfare 2 really improve on from MW1? If anything MW2 could have been one big expansion pack to Modern Warfare. And all Halo 3 did was give the series a graphical update.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #774
Hudson

Making comparisons between Rage and Doom and which is/will be better is just silly.

Rage is a brand new I.P. that actually has me back interested in an id game for once, a game that has new gameplay mechanics and story architecture (at least I hope) and I expect Doom 4 to be a Doom game.. plain and simple.

We've all played and seen Doom before, Rage is something new for id and I can't wait to see what they do with it. I expect Doom 4 to take what they established with the third game and take it to the next level in the Doom universe.. as long as you can hold a flashlight and gun at the same time
[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Old 07-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #775
WarThrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Making comparisons between Rage and Doom and which is/will be better is just silly.
The games themselves, yes, because they are supposed to be very different. But quality and experience wise, no it is not silly. I'm not talking about the actual gameplay elements, but rather graphics/replayability/wow factor/shooting mechanics/overall gameplay enjoyment/et cetera.

But yeah, comparing things such as weapons, characters, gameplay styles, or other gameplay elements wouldn't make sense because they are different IPs
Last edited by WarThrash; 07-07-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #776
BugsBunny
I expect a more intense story from Doom 4 , even though graphically it might be very similar to Rage (which is awesome anyways) or a tad better. Why do I think so ? Because even though the last id related game Wolfenstein 2009 was developed by Raven Software, I am sure that the story line and the combat experience had quite a bit of id touch from inside, and what a great story and combat experience did Wolfenstein 2009 have , simply mindblowing ! With Rage too, you can clearly get the hint that id is trying to put in a more compelling story line rather then just run and gun. So other then being graphically awesome and traditional run and gun combat, I am expecting a solid story line for this next iteration of Doom.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #777
8IronBob

Just so long as Doom 4 isn't consistently almost pitch black like Doom 3 was, I'll be okay with it. I hope id learned their lesson when it came to this.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #778
prophecy holder

Quote:
Just so long as Doom 4 isn't consistently almost pitch black like Doom 3 was, I'll be okay with it. I hope id learned their lesson when it came to this.
The dark wasn't so bad, what really burned me the low amount of enemies on screen and the over-used/predictability of an enemy spawn.
"Ever since I was a little boy, dressing up has always been...my greatest joy. But when It's time to be discreet, there is one thing you just can't beat and that's a strapless backless classical little black dress"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e4BCOrLmJ0
Old 07-19-2010, 06:35 AM   #779
BugsBunny
The thing that made Doom 3 boring for me was the repeatativeness of the game play from first to last. Other then the hell level all the other places look the same, and the over-used/predictability of an enemy spawn as noted above. There was no variation at all. And you can not hold a flash light and a gun together, wtf ? Hopefully Doom 4 will address all those issues.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:53 AM   #780
mtm5925

Jeff Zaring, who was a lead level designer of DOOM 4 multiplayer, has left id to get his new job at Infinity Ward.
It's good to see Infinity Ward is reconstructing with good talents, but I hope this wouldn't impact on development of DOOM 4.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jeff-zaring/6/506/297
Old 07-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #781
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Infinity Ward should just die. It's not the same company is was several years ago, now it's just a shell used by Activision...
Talented people should stay the hell away.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 07-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #782
WarThrash

I imagine with id hiring so many new people, one guy leaving shouldn't be too big a problem
Old 07-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #783
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

id have hired a TON of people within the past few years. They've built an entire second team as this is the first time they've handled two AAA projects internally.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #784
8IronBob

Oh yeah, now if only 3DR would've been able to hire that many to finish DNF. Hehe... Yeah, I know.

Anyway, I do have a lot of faith in this game, I've been in great support of id games in the past, and for one of their major franchises from their history, I have a lot of hope that this will indeed live up to all the other games in the past from the Doom franchise.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:51 AM   #785
Nihilanth

Team Update
DEPARTURES

Jeff Zaring
He worked on DOOM Single Player as a Senior Designer for a year and 4 months and as a Lead Level Designer on Multiplayer portion for 7 months.

Team Update
FRESH MEAT

Ari Patrick | Assistant Producer (Linkedin profile, Official Site + Twitter)
At id Software since May 25th 2010. He previously worked on some PC / Xbox Live Aracade / mobile projects as an independed developer.

On another note, QuakeCon starts on 12th. Just a few more days. Maybe, possibly, hopefully...
Old 08-07-2010, 02:35 AM   #786
DerricktheW

Doom 4 will, to me, be shown on the last day.

Showstopper.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #787
Gryph

I think if it's going to be shown it's going to be right before the Carmack keynote because that's when Todd Hollenshead has the stage and peoples' attention.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:58 AM   #788
Nihilanth

I could totally see a DOOM teaser trailer being shown when Todd will be talking about the key things going on within id. We'll see. I'll be watching live feed, like last year, it's gonna be exciting anyway, I'm sure.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:50 AM   #789
Tyler23

Where do you watch live feed this year? Last year I watched on IGN.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:40 AM   #790
JobivanHiob

want to know too...damn Doom 4 and DNF in the next 4 weeks! This is too good to be true!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:36 AM   #791
Nihilanth

Hm, I'll have to look into it but I haven't seen any info on live feed so far. I also can't remember where I watched it last year. Maybe IGN as well, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: Through quick Google search I've found live stream on UStream. Maybe this is it.
Last edited by Nihilanth; 08-11-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:01 AM   #792
WarThrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobivanHiob View Post
want to know too...damn Doom 4 and DNF in the next 4 weeks! This is too good to be true!
I'll seriously jizz if both get announced this year.

"Duke Nukem Forever will be out before DOOM 3--er---4"
Last edited by WarThrash; 08-11-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #793
Tyler23

Thx Nihilanth.
I think this could be our place.
http://www.quake-live.tv/
Old 08-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #795
JobivanHiob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
http://www.vg247.com/2010/08/11/expe...k/#more-111542

This article has a very misleading title.
Indeed. I thought WTF when i first read it!

also good to see you posting again Kristian!
Old 08-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #796
nebiatsu
Quote:

VERY nice find!

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:57 PM   #797
Rapture_Rising

Quote:

It is a very misleading title, I think it should say Doom 4 wont take as long as Rage.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:45 PM   #798
mtm5925

Quote:
I'm showing something neat and unannounced at quakecon tomorrow. Deciding if I should leave it be or sneak a little more code in...
http://twitter.com/id_aa_carmack

John Carmack confirmed he will show something neat tomorrow.
And it's good to see he finally started twitter
Old 08-12-2010, 01:44 AM   #799
Nihilanth

Good news, thanks for heads up Kristian.

Man, if we get to see DOOM today, that would be beyond awesome. But if we don't, well, good things come to those who wait.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:19 AM   #800
Kristian Joensen

I think we know a thing or two about waiting in these forums