Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 04:52 AM   #801
JobivanHiob

Re: Doom 4 Thread Part 2
well Doom 4 is still unannounced yes?
Old 08-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #802
Nihilanth

I don't know why people keep saying that. DOOM is announced. It was announced at QuakeCon 2008. They didn't show it but it is formally announced.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #803
JobivanHiob

Than this means no Doom for us!

But as Carmack said they won't start a new IP! So what will John show us? Rage multiplayer?
I still think its Doom!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #804
Tyler23

Maybe he will talk about his next technology or a advanced idTech5 and show us something in connection with this.
Doom could easily be shown during Todd Hollenshead Kick Off! We have to wait and see.
Still no info when the live stream starts
Old 08-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #805
mtm5925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilanth View Post
I don't know why people keep saying that. DOOM is announced. It was announced at QuakeCon 2008. They didn't show it but it is formally announced.
I don't know when, but I remember Tim Willits or Todd Hollenshead once said new Doom game has not formally announced, so it doesn't have formal name yet.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #806
Nihilanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
I think we know a thing or two about waiting in these forums
Yeah, a year more, two years more, no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler23 View Post
Maybe he will talk about his next technology or a advanced idTech5 and show us something in connection with this.
Yep. If there's a teaser trailer or something along those lines, it's gonna be during Todds kick off and if somebody's gonna talk about it, it's gonna be Kevin Cloud, as suggested by Carmack last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm5925 View Post
I don't know when, but I remember Tim Willits or Todd Hollenshead once said new Doom game has not formally announced, so it doesn't have formal name yet.
The only such thing I recall is pre-QC08. After id posted the message in my sig on their site saying that they're hiring for this project, Carmack said during E3 2008 that they haven't actually announced it yet. And then they had moment for official announcement on QC. As for name, it's still not finalized but the game is announced.

Quote:
Still no info when the live stream starts
When does the "kick off" begin? In roughly two hours from now, am I right?
Last edited by Nihilanth; 08-12-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #807
Gryph

It's either going to happen today or not at all. I'm excited!
Old 08-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #808
Tyler23

Yes, the Kick Off starts at 2:00 PM. This is 21:00 CET.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #809
JobivanHiob

where the **** can I watch the live feed??????

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

HERE YOU GOOOOO http://www.quakecon.org/gallery/livefeed.shtml
Old 08-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #810
Nihilanth

I'm only getting music and QC logo...
Old 08-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #811
JobivanHiob

me too and the music rocks!...but its the official live feed...I predict it will start in about 5 minutes!

here is the VG247 liveblog...just to make sure not to miss anything due to streaming probs

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

damn buffering....

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Todd says no Doom 4! WTF It's not ready yet????? EPIC FAIL or bad joke, you decide!

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

ID fails epic!
Old 08-12-2010, 01:52 PM   #812
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobivanHiob View Post
me too and the music rocks!...but its the official live feed...I predict it will start in about 5 minutes!

here is the VG247 liveblog...just to make sure not to miss anything due to streaming probs

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

damn buffering....

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Todd says no Doom 4! WTF It's not ready yet????? EPIC FAIL or bad joke, you decide!

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

ID fails epic!
How the f*** are you surprised by this?

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 08-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #813
JobivanHiob

why are you not?
Old 08-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #814
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I never expected anything D4 related at QuakeCon this year... and I don't know how many times I've said that in this thread.

They even said before QC started that D4 wouldn't be shown. It was public knowledge.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 08-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #815
Tyler23

The problem is everybody expected it already last year. At least a little teaser or screenshot or some info etc. Then Todd came up on stage and promised it for this year. And now just nothing.......
Old 08-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #816
WarThrash

I'd imagine they don't want to publicize 2 games at once. Rage AND Doom 4....I'm sure they just want full hype towards Rage for now.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #817
Nihilanth

Well, I was giving it roughly 25% chance of appearance so I'm not disappointed. Listening to Carmacks keynote right now.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #818
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I'm listening to it as well... it's always interesting listening to him talk.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #819
JobivanHiob

The panel ended with a big bang! Some guy's asking about id software picking up Duke Nukem Forever!!!

WoW that was the best part of the whole panel!
Old 08-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #820
DerricktheW

No it wasnt
Old 08-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #821
Nihilanth

While I guess people are disappointed, patience is an important thing here. It's clear they really want to make it big. When the time comes, it's gonna totally take over.

One of the things that I find pretty disturbing is that there's already so much hype surrounding DOOM, around forums, around gaming sites. I mean, it's kinda understandable but... I can already see how people are gonna be disappointed. Here we go again, people and press are creating an enourmous hype while there's nothing we know about the game itself. When we finally get to see it I fear that regardless of how awesome the game is, it's not gonna live up to that. Which is really sad, I hope I'm wrong but I think that impatience is gonna dangerously and unreasonably rise expectations to unmatchable levels.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #822
JobivanHiob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilanth View Post
While I guess people are disappointed, patience is an important thing here. It's clear they really want to make it big. When the time comes, it's gonna totally take over.

One of the things that I find pretty disturbing is that there's already so much hype surrounding DOOM, around forums, around gaming sites. I mean, it's kinda understandable but... I can already see how people are gonna be disappointed. Here we go again, people and press are creating an enourmous hype while there's nothing we know about the game itself. When we finally get to see it I fear that regardless of how awesome the game is, it's not gonna live up to that. Which is really sad, I hope I'm wrong but I think that impatience is gonna dangerously and unreasonably rise expectations to unmatchable levels.
are you talking about DNF?!
Old 08-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #823
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
are you talking about DNF?!
Doom 4 thread.
Do not go through this bullshit of dragging DNF into other threads again.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #824
Sang

JobiVan please just shut up

Anyway I didn't know Doom4 wasn't gonna be there (not really following the news even though I am looking forward to it, you figure that out). Bugger.. Really really really looking forward to hearing something about that but I guess it'll be for next year.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #825
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I'm much more interested in RAGE right now... because it's closer to being in my hands/on my PC.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #826
JobivanHiob

gawd they better not wait for QuakeCon 2011. Yes Damien, Rage will rock! The setting is very appealing to me!
Old 08-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #827
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

If anything, they'll probably wait until QuakeCon next year to really show it off. E3 next year will probably big a huge hype up for RAGE's release.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #828
BloodWolf806

Bummer, I was really wanting to see DooM 4...Oh well.

Rage on the iPhone, however, was damned impressive.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #829
Kalki

Not surprised at all. While Rage is still out there, they want it to be the new hotness. I've never seen any id game's graphics allowed an early reveal where it could supercede an unreleased id game in the fans mindset.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 08-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #830
glade23

i have faith doom 4 will eb in this years quake con
Old 08-13-2010, 01:21 AM   #831
Nihilanth

Quote:
gawd they better not wait for QuakeCon 2011. Yes Damien, Rage will rock! The setting is very appealing to me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
If anything, they'll probably wait until QuakeCon next year to really show it off. E3 next year will probably big a huge hype up for RAGE's release.
While there was a desire to see the game right here right now, both last year and this year there was a part of me that was hoping DOOM won't be there. Why? The later they unveil it, the better. Seriously there are no downsides. You may feel bummed right now but sooner or later you're gonna see the game, and if it's later, it's gonna be more polished, it's gonna have a proper unveiling (with RAGE out of the way), it's gonna be closer to release and so on.

Also, definetely QuakeCon and not E3 or something. Especially if RAGE isn't out before E3.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:53 AM   #832
peoplessi

Doesn't matter, I don't wait for the game.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:05 AM   #833
Kit

Quote:
The problem is everybody expected it already last year. At least a little teaser or screenshot or some info etc. Then Todd came up on stage and promised it for this year. And now just nothing.......
Yeah, considering the Rage delay I wasn’t expecting a teaser/screenshots or anything of that magnitude, but last year he was up on stage promising Doom news; I thought we’d get at least a few snippets of info.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:07 AM   #834
Dunedain

Oh well, at least DOOM IV stuff will almost certainly be shown at Quakecon next year.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:09 AM   #835
Rapture_Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunedain View Post
Oh well, at least DOOM IV stuff will almost certainly be shown at Quakecon next year.
Not unless id decides to delay Rage again.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:38 AM   #836
Nihilanth

RAGE was never delayed. It was "When It's Done". Then it was "2011". Now it's "September 13th 2011".
Old 08-16-2010, 03:23 AM   #837
predefined
Got the source where Carmack says it's very possible Doom IV will be released before Rage:

http://www.softsailor.com/news/37755...fore-rage.html

Anyway it seems production is going smooth for that game!
Old 08-16-2010, 03:57 AM   #838
X-Vector

That article doesn't say anything about Doom 4 being released before Rage (which is a preposterous idea).
Carmack just mentions that the overall development time will be shorter.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:02 AM   #839
Kristian Joensen

That article reads like a rip-off of the other article, only with bad English. Neither of them says that Doom 4 will be released before Rage(other than in the title). Only that development of Doom 4 won't take as long. But the thing is, Rage has a 3 year lead on Doom 4. There is no way that Doom 4 will be in development less than half the time it took for Rage. If Doom 4 is released in Late 2012 then it will have taken 1/3rd less time than Rage will have by the time its released.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:18 AM   #840
Nihilanth

Todd Hollenshead taking "arrows" for teasing DOOM at this years QuakeCon:

VG247

Last year, you said that Doom 4 would be here – at QuakeCon – this year. But it’s not. In the words of black-and-white television, “you’ve got some ’splainin’ to do.”

I thought it would [be here]. I thought it would.

Well, during his keynote, John Carmack said we were supposed to bug you about Doom 4 not being here, so I’m only following orders.

[Laughs]. Well, he said I went up and took the arrows for him, which I figure is fair enough since I did say at [last year's] keynote that there’d be no Doom that year, but Doom the next year at QuakeCon. And I think we all thought we’d be showing it this year at QuakeCon at that time. But, you know, things sort of change. And really, we do really want to wait until we have something awesome to show that’s gonna blow people away.

And the other thing is that, as amazing as the RAGE presentation was, we’re focused on talking about that as opposed to something that’s even further down the road. It’s hard to complain though, because – I don’t know of it being done, I haven’t heard of it being done – the demo on three platforms. Our guys did an amazing job, I can honestly say. I’ve actually seen the presentation, like, 30 times before, but towards the end of it, I even got, like, some goosebumps. I think part of it was the audience being really into it and stuff like that too. Plus, it really did look good and we showed stuff that we have not shown before.

So, can you say that Doom 4 will be at QuakeCon next year for sure?

Ok, I’ve learned my lesson. [Laughs].

I’m gonna let the Doom team speak about when they’re gonna show stuff. I’ll take my arrows for last year, but I’m not gonna set myself up for next year. When they’re ready, they’ll be ready. And I don’t want to speak for them.

Kotaku

Doom 4 is well into development at id. Hollenshead said "a team and a half" are working on the game.

(...)

Hollenshead may have told the QuakeCon 2009 audience that Doom 4 would be shown at QuakeCon 2010, but he told Kotaku at the 2010 event that we shouldn't see this as a sign of trouble for the game.

"First of all," he said, "it really is true that we want to make sure that when we show something it is really impressive and is at the level of blow people away." (...) Plus, he said, id wanted to focus on Rage, the next big game and not tease too far into the future.