Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Non 3DR Game Discussion
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #881
Bam050196

Re: Doom 4 Thread Part 2
I don't see why people criticized Doom 3.

I thought it was pretty good. (Except there were alot of Imps :P)
Old 01-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #882
Kit

My appreciation for the way the beginning of the game unfolds increases with every play through. Listening to the conversations while you wonder around the base and seeing everyone hurrying about sets the tone perfectly. Shame they didn't scatter more moments like this throughout the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
My problems with Doom 3 come from the over reliance of Imps, and to much filler in the middle of the game.
I agree with you about the filler sections. The part in the sewer system has lots of unnecessary twists and turns that make the map drag - did not enjoy the constant spawning enemies in that area at all.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #883
dan2091

While the game could have been better, I liked the lenght of the game. Rich in substance and quality, nonetheless.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:52 AM   #884
Nihilanth

As you might have already heard, id announced dates for this years QuakeCon: August 4 - 7. A bit earlier than in past years. I know I sound like a broken record but hey, RAGE comes out a month after QC... Time to show us this other game, id.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:47 AM   #885
Nihilanth

Team Update
VETERANS DISCOVERED

Patrick Delmastro | 3D Artist (Official Site)
Freelance artist, working on DOOM since March 2010. His contributions include prop and environment art. He previously worked on Stormrise, Section 8, Ashes Cricket 2009, International Cricket 2010 and is working on Firefall.

Jason Manley | Undisclosed Artist (Presskit for TAD)
Founder of The Art Department and Massive Black (art developers for video game and entertainment industries). For an unknown period, he (and / or Massive Black) has contributed to the new DOOM in an undisclosed way. He previously worked at Black Isle Studios as a marketing illustrator and concept designer, later contributed to God of War 3, the Transformers films, StarCraft II, Sonic, commercial work for Coca-Cola, and toys such as Laser Tag and Super Soakers.

PROMOTIONS / CHANGES

Chelsea Edwards | Associate Artist (Linkedin profile, Portfolio)
She was working in Art Intern for DOOM. Associate Artist since January 25th. She creates environment assets and collision meshes for game assets.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #886
JeremyHDragon
Im very excited for Doom 4. Im new to Doom since last year when I played Doom on XBLA. It was fun (though I hadn't finished episode 4: Thy Flesh Consumed). I'm looking forward for this.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #887
Nihilanth

DOOM fans will be happy with DOOM 4

Excerpts by Matt Hooper:

It's going great. It's awesome.

We have so many talented people, and as a company we've grown so much. But we've been able to keep them [the Doom 4 and Rage development teams] separate. With Rage we're concentrating on making our game as good as it can be. Those guys support us in whatever way they can. And we'll do the same for them.

They're [the Doom 4 team] going in their own direction. They're doing something Doom fans will be happy with. I try to support them as much as possible. It's a good thing. We're separated enough to be able to go our own ways, but still connected where we can help facilitate both those directions.

It is distinct enough. It would be dangerous... We don't want to make a re-skinned Doom [with Rage] and then Doom 4 be a re-skinned Rage. That would be bad.

It's worked out really nicely where we have enough connection to take advantage of things like technology and talent, but enough separation to be able to go in a unique direction.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #888
NutWrench

Hopefully, they'll aim for a slightly higher texture budget this time, so we won't get so much repetition.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 06-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #889
Nihilanth

In the latest E3 interviews Carmack has said that after RAGE goes gold or close to that, core tech team will migrate to the DOOM team to help them out. Just now, however, I've came across another piece of info regarding the tech differences between RAGE and DOOM, and this one is pretty interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carmack
The only thing I've really talked about on Doom 4, technology-wise, is that we did make the decision that...well, my biggest pride and joy about Rage is that I won the fight for 60 frames per second on there, but it involves significant trade-offs.

You can't have 30 guys crawling all over you at 60 frames per second at this graphics technology level because it's painful. It's a lot of effort to do that. But, we did make the call that for Doom 4, the single-player is going to go 30 frames per second on the consoles. So we can have 30 demons crawling all over you on there. But the multiplayer is still going to be 60 frames per second, so it has the quality feel that Rage has.
I find this pretty interesting. Since 2008, based on the "three times better graphics than RAGE" comments, I think everyone's been expecting exactly that from DOOM, however right now it seems we might have been misled with that a bit. This quote makes it sound like DOOM will remain around RAGE level of graphics but ramp up the enemy count.

Obviously everything remains to be seen but it's not out of the question that in DOOM, compared to RAGE, we'll see the increase of scale rather than graphical fidelity.

In the meantime, exactly 50 days left until QuakeCon 2011 where I think everyone hopes to finally see the game.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #890
Rapture_Rising

Sorry for the bump but i didnt realise that it is so close to this years QuakeCon, i have my fingers very tightly crossed that id reveal something awesome.

I was so dissapointed last year when they didnt reveal anything, it was the only thing i was looking for in 2010 considering that Duke Nukem Forever hadn't been revealed yet and still only considered a rumor.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #891
Nihilanth

Yeah, I think everyone hopes to finally get a glimpse of the new DOOM game but there's a fair amount of scepticism regarding that. Many believe that id will not dare to show DOOM before RAGE ships in fear that the former will overshadow the newcomer.

Personally I think that it's kind of silly to think the above is true. We're not talking about direct competitors. RAGE comes out two months after QC and DOOM will definitively not see the light of day before second half of 2012. To think that showing a DOOM trailer on this years QC would steal attention from RAGE doesn't make sense, it's not like somebody will go "Screw RAGE, I'll wait 1+ years to play DOOM". If anything some might say they'll wait for DOOM because they like nothing about RAGE but that would not be because of a potential DOOM trailer.

DOOM has been in development for 3 full years already. If they show it this year with a potential release date set for 2012 (or first half of 2013), the project would end up with 4,4 1/2 years of development. If they don't... it makes most sense to unveil it at QuakeCon, so in that case they'd show it during QC2012, with a release date no earlier than 2013 (possibly late). That would be at least 5 years in development.

Through the entire time id has been saying that DOOM would not take too long because:

* The tech was more or less working when DOOM development started.
* RAGE team was using it already at that time.
* Focus is on game design, no time wasted on tech research (RAGE team took the burden).
* DOOM team is learning from RAGE team mistakes.
* A non-stop flow of talented people to the team.

At first that scenario was a hope, then id guys were confirming that everything is working out as planned. With all those positives, especially no need to work on tech, a run&gun shooter would take 5 years of pure, focused development?

Also, isn't RAGE gonna be a 5 years in development game? Sure, it took 7 years in total but that's including tech development and 1,5 year of working on Darkness which at best generated some assets. When it was unveiled in 2007 it was a tech demo with no gameplay. That gives more or less 5 years of core-game development including further tech development and experimental (for id) game design. So if DOOM takes 5 years considering it's most likely gonna be a straightforward run&gun shooter, I think that would be kind of weird. Also it would be disappointing that after being able to hit the ground running with development, "DOOM should have a quick and fluid development" comments and reassuring that everything is going very well, the game would still take half a decade to make.

Another thing that supports DOOM unveiling this year is that as soon as RAGE certifies / goes gold / ships (depending on which answer is correct), RAGE tech team will move over to DOOM and, like Carmack said, at the end of development they'd have a hundred people on the team. Considering RAGE ships soon, that transfer either have already happened or will happen very soon. So let's say DOOM team will be that big around RAGE release. Sounds like a basis for final push, not for another 2 years of work.

Finally, if there's no DOOM at QC, that would mark the fifth QC of all RAGE.

So we've got RAGE coming out soon, a good moment to show the next project, positively going development and a fair amount of development time already.

Although I have to say that while for the most part I've been very hopeful as far as DOOM goes on QC11, as of late I have a feeling DOOM is gonna miss it. I don't know, despite all the things I've said, for some reason I feel like we won't be that lucky. I'm fully prepared to hear "Sorry guys, no DOOM yet" but frankly it'd be hard not to be disappointed with this.

Whatever the case may be, we'll find out soon enough.

Also, here are a couple of quotes regarding the state of the game, from last August to last month's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carmack | 11.08.2010
The DOOM team are all sped up and working on this technology base – I’m not really at liberty to discuss much about it, but it’s going full steam ahead right now, it shouldn’t take as long to ship as Rage. It’s already in the pipeline and we feel good about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Willits | 18.08.2010
The theory – and this is actually working out quite well – is that first half of the development time, we can erase that from the DOOM 4 development by using the same tech we are. They learn from our mistakes. They’ve got our techniques down. So they can actually make content that’s gonna go in the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Willits | 16.05.2011
(...) Which is one of the main reasons we joined the Bethesda as it allowed us to build our DOOM team that is currently working on the next DOOM title with the same technology that we’re building RAGE with. So all the mistakes we made, all the struggles, the extra years of development; those guys aren’t going to face because they have stuff that already works.
These confirm that the development has been going very well and that it shouldn't take very long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSpot | 08.06.2011
Carmack said that as soon as Rage goes gold, id's core engineering team--led by Carmack--will transfer over to the DOOM 4 team to shepherd it to market. Once that is completed, they will turn their attention to the next Rage game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carmack | 08.06.2011
We're about the roll the whole core tech team over to DOOM. After Rage certifies, the heavily-lifting code team will be migrating over to do new systems for [the DOOM team]. Building up the new team has been challenging to bring that many new people in and bring them up to speed. We're going to migrate more of the Rage team people, and then we're going to roll onto Rage 2.
My hopeful guess is that this is how it's going to play out:

* People migrate from RAGE to DOOM to make the final push (a year at least)
* Right after RAGE comes out, a small team will be assembled to start building things for RAGE 2 (Carmack said it's not efficient to have 50 people at the beginning of development)
* As DOOM gets closer to being released, people will move to RAGE 2 and a new team will work on the next project (possibly Quake)

Everything makes sense for this year's unveiling... Hopefully... DOOM trailer would definitively cheer me up.

QuakeCon starts in exactly 2 days 1 hour 23 minutes and 40 seconds.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #892
Bam050196

I forgot about Quakecon. I'm pumped
Old 08-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #893
Rapture_Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam050196 View Post
I forgot about Quakecon. I'm pumped
TBH... me too, if it wasnt for reading the article on Kotaku about RAGE i wouldnt have looked it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilanth View Post
Yeah, I think everyone hopes to finally get a glimpse of the new DOOM game but there's a fair amount of scepticism regarding that. Many believe that id will not dare to show DOOM before RAGE ships in fear that the former will overshadow the newcomer.
But IMO Doom 4 is already overshadowing RAGE, if they dont show anything a lot of fans would be dissapointed although i dont think id promised it precisely but fans take it as a promise and will feel like that id have broken a promise two years in a row.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:36 AM   #894
Nihilanth

If that's the case, it's gonna be those people own fault. On QC09 Todd did say that they'd "probably have something to show next year" but last year there were no promises. Actually there was nothing at all.

The only thing id guys have said about when they're gonna show DOOM is "when the DOOM Team is ready". On QC09 Carmack said that Kevin Cloud (project leader on DOOM) is playing everything tight to his vest about when he's gonna talk about things. Unless you believe the whole overshadowing thingy, it certainly seems like the deciding factor on "will or won't be there" subject is whether DOOM guys have managed to reach the point in development where they're ready. While we're on that, it's also worth noting that since the announcement, id's plan was to take DOOM all the way up to vertical slice before unveiling it. Rest assured that when they show it, it's gonna be in a good shape, not in a "this is how we want it to look and feel someday" state.

Personally, like I said, I have a gut feeling they won't show it. I would be disappointed but not surprised. But if they do show it, THAT is gonna be me.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #895
Rapture_Rising

I agree...

At least they could give us a few screenshots or a small teaser for us to salivate over until they are ready for a proper launch which is most probably will be at next years E3.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #896
Nihilanth

Yesterday I watched this years keynote. It was awesome as always so if you've missed it, check it out below, it's worth watching.

John Carmack Keynote

There is actually one little, technical detail about the new DOOM game. I wrote a transcript of that, it's a broader than DOOM itself and includes other thoughts on this practicular subject, I thought it was important to put it in context. Some words are missing, couldn't get them right. The part below starts at 1:07:29.

John Carmack:
Some of the things that we're doing on the other project that I think leads the way here... One of the lessons that we took away from DOOM 3 was that script interpreters are bad from a performance, debugging, development standpoint on there. It's kind of that argument about oh, but you want a freeform dynamically typed language here so you can do all of your quick, flexible stuff and people that aren't really programmers can do this stuff. But you know, one of the big lessons of a big project is you don't want people who aren't really programmers programming, you'll suffer for it. But one of the things that we did is... the other side of it is also performance. You'd think that with our million times faster systems that scripting some things, performance should be a non-issue and striking almost how much that isn't the case. In the last month of RAGE's development we're taking some of our flash GUI stuff and converting it to C++ because the interpreter for doing the action script stuff and GUI is taking multiple miliseconds sometimes. Even with all of our wealth of processing power we still don't have enough performance. Performance still matters.

But even more that the performance now I'm looking for the stronger guarantees on code quality. I want us to be able to have full analysis trees that say 'Ok, you can still mess the game up by doing all sorts of different things but what I wanna be working towards is a case where we can say 'Well, the game cannot have an exception of any kind with sufficient analysis through there.' We're not there yet.

But one of the interesting things that's going on is RAGE still has a little bit of script. We still have script that's derivative from DOOM 3, it does a few things but the bulk of the heavy lifting is just in-game code. In DOOM 4 we have what we call Super Script which is basically a way to do scripting in C++, it's a limited sub setup but you get all the fiber goodness about being able to slip/sleep (?) and do the nice scheduling things that people always miss in scripting but it's full performance and it's type safe and things like this where...

I'm thinking that we may wanna take that even a step further and go to a rigorously sub setting C++ ??? for writing the code because it comes back to the statistical awarness. We look over all the code base and mistakes are made everyday. It's not because people are no good, the very best programmers always make mistakes. And this is something that I've really internalized that no matter how good you think you are you are making mistakes all the time. And you have ??? structures around you to try and help you limit the damage that your mistakes will cause, find them as early as possible so that you can correct them. And the earliest possible time is to find them at compile time. So I'm all about trying to be much more restrictive on what we can do here.

And on the one hand I would entertain programming in... I'm very tempted to wanna move to a functional programming language, start programming in Haskell or ??? or something. But that's not a credible thing to do in the game industry because again, 49 people on the list. I can probably convince a handful of them that we should go convert to a new programming language but then we're back into having performance issues in different cases, having a huge educational and hiring problem. So we gotta stay with something C, C++ish based on there. But I think that it would be worthwhile for 95% of our code to have hard restrictions in place to limit us to essentially the Java subset of C++ where you have no unchecked arrays, you have no uninitialized pointers, you have no use-after-free hazards, all of these things where you look it all down and that's kind of decisions that you make with Java and then I'd even go a little bit beyond that.

But it's one thing to say 'I write all of my new code in the pseudo-functional style on there', but unless something is made impossible it'll still creep into your code base. So we probably need to be looking at being able to analyze out whole code base and say 'Ok, these hyper performance twitchy tuned areas, they are go for it, do whatever the heck you want on here', but the vast bulk of the code, we wanna be able to make stronger statements about.

And that's one the big directions that I wanna be looking at going forward. We've learned a lot about the coding and the development but it still winds up being... Right now of course the final sort issues, content is done so programming's still a long pole in the tent here. We could argue that if we hadn't let ourselves be pushed so much on performance, the programming would have been stable and could have been used earlier on that but unquestionably it still remains as one of the most important things. So looking at what we can do during our development process there is a pretty big deal.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:54 AM   #897
Tyler23

20 years of id panel!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBQLW...layer_embedded
Old 08-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #898
8IronBob

Quote:
In the latest E3 interviews Carmack has said that after RAGE goes gold or close to that, core tech team will migrate to the DOOM team to help them out. Just now, however, I've came across another piece of info regarding the tech differences between RAGE and DOOM, and this one is pretty interesting:

I find this pretty interesting. Since 2008, based on the "three times better graphics than RAGE" comments, I think everyone's been expecting exactly that from DOOM, however right now it seems we might have been misled with that a bit. This quote makes it sound like DOOM will remain around RAGE level of graphics but ramp up the enemy count.

Obviously everything remains to be seen but it's not out of the question that in DOOM, compared to RAGE, we'll see the increase of scale rather than graphical fidelity.

In the meantime, exactly 50 days left until QuakeCon 2011 where I think everyone hopes to finally see the game.
Just so long as it's not 30 imps like we had in Doom 3, then I'm all right with it, but we'll see what happens.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:37 AM   #899
Nihilanth

I'm happy that Q&A section that got cut out of keynote recording is up right now:

Keynote Q&A

Here's a DOOM answer:

John Carmack: I am amazed that we got this far without this being an issue. As everyone figured out the word here is that this is the year of RAGE, we do not want to have talk of DOOM overshadowing it. So I really don't have much additional to say about it. The technical stuff I've said before in the past that we're aiming for a... instead of being the 60Hz that RAGE is in the single player, it's gonna have a lot more stuff going on, it's gonna be 30Hz single player but multiplayer, at least as an option it's 60Hz. We wanna make sure it scales on the faster PCs to be able to have the full 60Hz on the single player experience there. We are looking at what we can do for some up-quality options on things on there. Much of the RAGE team is going to be migrating over to the DOOM team development in the near future. We're expecting to do a RAGE 2, unless RAGE flops which it better not. We have so much momentum on that we wanna roll a bunch of the people right on to the RAGE 2 but most of the core systems guys, like me and John Paul and other people are gonna be dedicating our efforts to the DOOM project on there. And there's... I really should not go much into other stuff about it but it's... There's stuff I want to say but... Thank you for the open source Zenimax, I don't want to piss anyone off right now.

I have to say that it made me smile. If I had heard this full, straight from the source answer right away, I'd probably avoid the initial disappointment that I had. It's cool to see how he's so very tempted to say just a bit more about DOOM.

And finally I was right about something for once, they're gonna have some people start creating RAGE 2 as soon as possible.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #900
Kit

Interesting to hear Rage 2 talk already.

Also thanks for keeping the updates coming, Nihilanth.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #901
Bam050196

Once RAGE comes out, I can't to see some media for DooM4. I am so pumped!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:05 AM   #902
Tyler23

Well, thats kind of funny:-)

“We’re not going to give you guys so much as a ******* screenshot until RAGE is out the door”

-Tim Willits

"It wouldn't make any sense to show anything until RAGE is done"

-John Carmack

"Dude! If that's what Tim and John told you, what do you think I'm gonna say?!!?"

-Todd Hollenshead

http://www.ripten.com/2011/08/10/id-...il-rage-ships/
Old 08-12-2011, 02:41 AM   #903
Nihilanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
Also thanks for keeping the updates coming, Nihilanth.
You're welcome.

The Eurogamer interview has this to say about DOOM:

You're probably making some quite good progress behind the scenes with Doom 4.
Tim Willits: Yes. I get that question all the time. And I always tell people, why the heck should we show one screenshot of Doom 4 before Rage comes out? We need to build the hype, and then, oh, look at this. And it's like, no! That's why.

Actually I don't recall anyone from id saying anything like that, except for this QC. Just a remark.

Also:

The Duke guys hid a screenshot of Forever in 3D when it came out on Xbox Live.
Tim Willits: That's too funny. I didn't know that. There's no Doom 4 stuff hidden in Rage. I can tell you that. What I'm not saying is there's no Wolfenstein, Doom or Quake hidden in Rage... But there's no Doom 4 stuff.

I honestly didn't expect any sort of DOOM teaser in RAGE but if anyone did, here you have it, there won't be any.

EDIT: Oh there's one more thing. Tim Willits was talking about a cover system and various player animations that got cut out because they were slowing the game down. Then he says:

Yes. I promise you, it slowed it way down. The second thing is, just getting everything to fit and move really fast. As John [Carmack] said, push us. Hopefully the Doom guys will have learned.

Cover system in DOOM? Right... I hope what Tim meant was "I hope they won't have a clever idea to do that".
Last edited by Nihilanth; 08-12-2011 at 03:16 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #904
Kit

Ew… no cover system in mah Doom please.

Quote:
The Duke guys hid a screenshot of Forever in 3D when it came out on Xbox Live.
Tim Willits: That's too funny. I didn't know that. There's no Doom 4 stuff hidden in Rage. I can tell you that. What I'm not saying is there's no Wolfenstein, Doom or Quake hidden in Rage... But there's no Doom 4 stuff.

I honestly didn't expect any sort of DOOM teaser in RAGE but if anyone did, here you have it, there won't be any.
I’m glad they didn’t go that way. I’ve been put off the ‘game that teases another game’ thing since I played NFS Hot Pursuit.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #905
Bam050196

http://www.gamebandits.com/news/doom...content-12559/
Old 10-21-2011, 12:36 AM   #906
Rapture_Rising

Oh dear god no i hope the rumours aren't true...

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/10/doo...inting-launch/

According to the rumor that id have "indefinitely postponed" Doom 4 due to the disappointing Rage sales.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:23 AM   #907
Nihilanth

This rumour doesn't make sense on so many levels.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:36 AM   #908
Pansa
Quote:
Why not? If at all it shows AGAIN why you don't sell yourself to big publishers.
Yes, the influx of money is nice (although I don't really think that ID was that strapped for cash), but whenever something doesn't according to plan, they shit their pants.

Allthough the market has probably never been as unforgiving to a bad start as nowadays.
Which shows both in the "pre-order" ad-frenzy as the value decay of games.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:01 AM   #909
Rapture_Rising

Quote:
I agree, but i suppose its up to bethesda to pull the plug if they are funding the development.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:24 AM   #910
Rapture_Rising

I have just found this...

http://www.vg247.com/2011/10/21/rumo...pment-shelved/

Bethesda has denied that it has been postponed.

Quote:
In a tweet, CC’ed to Eurogamer operations director Tom Bramwell, VP of PR and marketing Pete Hines bluntly said Kotaku’s original report was “complete bollocks.”

He added in a further tweet that “no title under development at id has been postponed – indefinitely or otherwise.”
Old 10-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #911
Nihilanth

Told you. Everything was wrong about that rumour.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #912
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansa View Post
Why not? If at all it shows AGAIN why you don't sell yourself to big publishers.
Yes, the influx of money is nice (although I don't really think that ID was that strapped for cash), but whenever something doesn't according to plan, they shit their pants.

Because RAGE didn't have a "rough launch". It sold well, reviewed well...
And had a MUCH smoother launch then either damn near most of ZeniMax's other recent releases.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 10-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #913
MAT

What are ZeniMax's other recent releases?

How do you take someone seriously when their sig is the machine stats? -Tea Monster
Old 10-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #914
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Brink and Fallout: New Vegas would be their most recent ones.
But even if you count Rogue Warrior, Oblivion and Fallout 3. Buggy, horribly flawed PC releases seem to be their standard.
A standard in which RAGE shines above the rest.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 10-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #915
MAT

Let's hope Skyrim doesn't share the same fate.

As for Doom 4, I don't think any force in the world can postone its development, let alone cancel it. It's still one of the biggest franchises out there; even the name alone sells a million copies.

How do you take someone seriously when their sig is the machine stats? -Tea Monster
Old 10-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #916
Bam050196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture_Rising View Post
I have just found this...

http://www.vg247.com/2011/10/21/rumo...pment-shelved/

Bethesda has denied that it has been postponed.
Ah, thank the Lord!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #917
NutWrench

There's no way Doom 4 would be postponed or cancelled regardless of how Rage sells.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 10-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #918
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAT View Post
Let's hope Skyrim doesn't share the same fate.
While I'm sure Skyrim will be an incredibly fun game... it's a Bethesda game. It'll be buggy and have issues.
That is about as expected as an Obsidian game being buggy and under polished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutWrench View Post
There's no way Doom 4 would be postponed or cancelled regardless of how Rage sells.
Specially since RAGE sold very well.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:47 AM   #919
X-Vector

Selling well is relative and dependent on the expectation of developers, publishers and analysts.

Looking at the Xbox360 numbers at VGChartz, Rage sold 100K more in its first two weeks than a certain other title in a well-established franchise since its release in June.
On the other hand, L.A. Noire (like Rage a new IP) scored double the sales figures of Rage over the first two weeks - a game that in some circles was seen as a commercial disappointment.
Take by itself that last statement looks rather over the top, but if that analyst firm expected the game to 'perform' anywhere near GTA IV territory (over 4 million in the same period of time, more than 9 million overall, 18 million cross-platform), then a lukewarm reception is more understandable.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #920
Sergounasse
Some Doom 4 tracks were leaked: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=31752
This seems legit.