Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > Archives > General Messages > Non 3DR Game Discussion
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #1041
hellchicken
Re: Doom 4 Thread Part 2
Me personally I wouldn't mind if id Software took everything they learned from RAGE (hub-towns, quests, side-quests, weapon upgrades, etc.; everything but vehicles and driving), improved it and integrated it into Doom 4.
In my mind there isn't that big of leap to make from one post-apocalyptic wasteland filled with raiders and mutants to one filled with demons from hell.

I really enjoyed these design-elements in RAGE, even if their execution was somewhat lackluster (IMO). But it was id's first game like that, and if id Software can execute anything perfectly it is the gunplay, all they need to do now is get everything else to be at least half as good as the gunplay, and behold, another classic is born.

But in any case I sincerely do hope that id finds their own way of making this game without paying attention to the wants and needs self-declared hard-core fans of the classic, interest groups or the casual-gamer, because at the end of the day some people will still be dissapointed or offended anyway.
Last edited by hellchicken; 04-09-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:27 AM   #1042
Nihilanth

I decided to make an updated summary of info on DOOM 4. Just for the sake of it.

Main information:

Engine: id Tech 5
Platforms: PlayStation 4, new Xbox, PC
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks

Project status: Unknown
Team: All of id
Release date: When It's Done ***

Development time: 465 days ****
Until QuakeCon 2013: 112 days

* Unofficial source (ex-DOOM 4 developer) mentioned next generation of consoles, PC is assumed. It's unknown whether DOOM 4 will be a cross-generational title (thus including PS3/360) or not
** It's confirmed that mobile division has been closed and RAGE 2 is on hiatus for the time being. According to an unofficial source all possible projects have been ceased and the entire company is focused on DOOM 4
*** Unofficial source mentioned an ultimatum issued by Zenimax to id which supposedly puts internal deadline at the end of 2014
**** Counting since the restart which occured in January 2012

Current Up to Date Info and Changes
The restart and various unofficial info has changed the list of known facts about the game. Most of the pre-2012 bits of info should be considered out of date.

Confirmed
* id Tech 5 is being expanded in several areas: AI, physics, dynamic / interactive things in the world. DOOM 4 is planned to have more interactivity and dynamics in the gameworld compared the the stiff, shell-like world of RAGE. The scope of those expansions is unknown
* id aims for faster responsiveness and other improvements to the action core to achieve a "gritty, visceral feel of the game, the punch of it"
* Support for Oculus Rift VR HMD is planned

Unconfirmed / Speculations
* Assuming that DOOM 4 is being developed for next gen only, it's unknown whether id still aims for 30fps on consoles, pushing the graphics and scale of the game, or settles for what will be achievable with 60fps on PS4 and the new Xbox
* It's possible Kevin Cloud is no longer the project leader on the new version. He might have been replaced by Matt Hooper
* It's unknown whether the new version of the game sticks with the Hell on Earth scenario established in the cancelled version
* It's to be assumed that the current build is not as excessively cinematic and linear as Call of Duty. The new direction is unknown and the amount of scripted set pieces and linearity of progression can only be guessed
* Considering the restart, the release of BFG Edition appears to not have been related to DOOM 4 after all
* It's safe to assume that most, if not all, of the leaked media was indeed from the early version of DOOM 4, especially characters and industrial / city screenshots
Old 04-10-2013, 03:09 AM   #1043
ScrewingUpMyRide

Excellent summary, Nihilanth.

I'm pretty curious about Kevin Cloud's current involvement too. I love his stuff and he's such an essential part of ID. At Quakecon 2012, it seemed he was still on the project, if not the head honcho. I've got my fingers crossed for a 2014 unveiling.

I wonder if they'll have anything special planned for Doom's 20th birthday? Imagine if they had John Romero, Adrian Carmack and Tom Hall sharing the stage at Quakecon. I would love to see a Doom reunion.
Last edited by ScrewingUpMyRide; 04-10-2013 at 03:31 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:41 AM   #1044
Kit

Superb summary, Nihilanth.

*am I ok to post this elsewhere?

I'd be interested to know the size of the team now working on Doom 4.

It's about 80 to 150 for a high profile current gen game, correct?
Old 04-10-2013, 04:52 AM   #1045
Kristian Joensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
Superb summary, Nihilanth.

I'd be interested to know the size of the team now working on Doom 4.

It's about 80 to 150 for a high profile current gen game, correct?
A search on linkedin.com for people listed as current employees at id Software returns 169 people. Now there may be people who have left but haven't updated their profile to reflect but that should mostly be balanced by people who haven't updated their profile to reflect them joining id or id employees that don't have a profile. So if all of id is working on Doom 4 the team should be at least 150 people(Some of those 169 are administrative staff) compared to the 22 developers(+ Donna Jackson, Marty Stratton and Todd Hollenshead on the administrative end) credited for Doom 3:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/doom_/credits

Edit: (From what I can gather the Doom 4 team currently should be about 1.4-1.5x the size of the Rage team).
Edit2: I am also sure they can use a lot of concepts and code and stuff from the roughly 4 years spent on the game prior to the restart + a lot of lessons learnt from both Rage and the time spent before the restart.
Last edited by Kristian Joensen; 04-10-2013 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #1046
Nihilanth

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewingUpMyRide View Post
I wonder if they'll have anything special planned for Doom's 20th birthday? Imagine if they had John Romero, Adrian Carmack and Tom Hall sharing the stage at Quakecon. I would love to see a Doom reunion.
They really should do something cool for that anniversary. Too bad we won't see a DOOM 4 release on that day.

Quote:
Well, it's just a bunch of info put together so feel free to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
So if all of id is working on Doom 4 the team should be at least 150 people(Some of those 169 are administrative staff) compared to the 22 developers(+ Donna Jackson, Marty Stratton and Todd Hollenshead on the administrative end) credited for Doom 3:

Edit: (From what I can gather the Doom 4 team currently should be about 1.4-1.5x the size of the Rage team).
Edit2: I am also sure they can use a lot of concepts and code and stuff from the roughly 4 years spent on the game prior to the restart + a lot of lessons learnt from both Rage and the time spent before the restart.
Yeah, there's still a lot of positives. They have a better code, tons of assets and more focus (no other projects). But the biggest thing remains, they HAVE to nail down the design, they need something really, really good and they need to feel confident about it. I hope they find or have already found that direction.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #1047
Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
A search on linkedin.com for people listed as current employees at id Software returns 169 people. Now there may be people who have left but haven't updated their profile to reflect but that should mostly be balanced by people who haven't updated their profile to reflect them joining id or id employees that don't have a profile. So if all of id is working on Doom 4 the team should be at least 150 people(Some of those 169 are administrative staff) compared to the 22 developers(+ Donna Jackson, Marty Stratton and Todd Hollenshead on the administrative end) credited for Doom 3:

Interesting. That is a hell of a lot. This gen I have rarely checked the numbers but I know Rocksteady had 60 for Arkham Asylum and that was a two year project for a fairly large game.

Doom 4 will surely have quite a sharp turnaround then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilanth View Post
Well, it's just a bunch of info put together so feel free to do so.
Cheers mate.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:36 AM   #1048
Nihilanth

The problem I see there is that the large number of people does not mean very fast development. We've got the fact that id jammed DOOM and RAGE teams together which couldn't have gone smoothly. I remember Carmack saying that they've had RAGE team on the top floor and the DOOM team on the bottom. They've probably established different working environments. Then there's a problem with how to manage this many developers. The efficiency is not proportional to the amount of people.

The new version of DOOM 4 has been in development for well over a year. It's possible those problems were solved by now but I have my doubts about that. While game-specific facts will be omitted, QC13 might provide some additional info on the situation.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #1049
Kit

Had a look at those supposed screens that leaked a while a go. If that's what the game looked like I'm glad they restarted. Shocking!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #1050
Kristian Joensen

Quote:
Had a look at those supposed screens that leaked a while a go. If that's what the game looked like I'm glad they restarted. Shocking!

Given the news of the restart and the way in which Matt Hooper addressed them I would say there is a good chance those screenshots were from the old version of Doom 4:

Quote:
@Cpt_Oliver oh I see. Those images have nothing to do with what you're gonna see in Doom4. When we officially show things you'll see awesome
(Emphasis mine).

He didn't deny that they were from Doom 4. He just said that is not gonna be what people are gonna see in the game.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #1051
Kit

In some of them you'd have zero idea it was a Doom game. In fact, there's one at a dock yard or something that looks more akin to Half Life 2. Also, didn't Carmack say "3x the visual fidelity of Rage". The screens were way, way off that.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #1052
Nihilanth

In my opinion it's safe to assume these shots were indeed from DOOM 4.

I thought some of them looked quite good, especially the one on a street with cars and stuff. It was supposed to be on Earth after all. Some were really poor but it's important to note that these are years old, concept in-game shots or something.

As for the id Tech 5, the 3x RAGE graphics thingy went down the drain. I don't think they've ever really done it (thus the quality of shots). It was supposed to be like that until 2011 when Carmack implied they're instead increasing the enemy count. However considering the restart and targeting next gen, all of this doesn't matter anymore.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:39 AM   #1053
Nihilanth

This has nothing to do with DOOM 4 but still: Todd Hollenshead has left id Software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Hines
After many years with the studio, Todd Hollenshead decided to leave id Software to pursue other personal interests. While Todd was not part of the development teams, he was an integral part of id Software’s success as the business head of the studio and we wish him the very best in his future endeavors.
He's been with the company for 17 years, first as a CEO, then as a President.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #1054
john_doe2
Hmm...Wonder what that means. I hope it doesn't mean that things are going so bad with Doom 4 that Todd said "Screw it. You guys are a lost cause."
Old 06-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #1055
Kalki

^ Could be things are going bad with Bethesda.

In any case, I wish him and id the best. It's been a long relationship.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 06-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #1056
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I've long had worries of how ZeniMax/Bethesda would impact id's inner workings.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 07-04-2013, 01:00 AM   #1057
Nihilanth

Meanwhile Bethesda's Pete Hines sounds optimistic about the current state of DOOM 4 (comments from E3):

Eurogamer:
Quote:
[id] are hard at work on their next project. We're not ready to talk about or show it yet, but I'm pretty pleased with how it's come along. I actually played a decent bit of it recently and thought it looked really good and it's definitely headed in the right direction.
IGN:
Quote:
Right now, [Id’s] focus is on their current project. They are full bore on that. What I’ve seen of it recently, I’m super happy about it. We want them to stick to that until we’re ready to talk about what that is. But let’s wait until we get there first.
On RAGE 2:

Quote:
To be determined. We’ll see.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:02 AM   #1058
crunchy superman

I'm looking forward to it, but I'll judge for myself when more info is available rather than take those comments to heart.

Jace Hall had similar things to say about another game a while back.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #1059
Nihilanth

I think what's important here is that Bethesda seems pleased with the progress. If you look at the rumours from Kotaku article, there were mentions of Zenimax' disappointment with the DOOM 4 development, even early this year. The prospect of id having pushed through the obstacles sounds good enough.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #1060
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I could care less if Bethesda are "happy" with it.
I only care if id are happy with it. As long as they feel it's Doom and it's shaping up right... then I'm happy.

I do agree that id isn't a multiple project studio. They've always hit me as a one game at a time kind of place. Trying to make RAGE and Doom 4 at once always seemed like a bad idea to me.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 07-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #1061
Nihilanth

I agree. I was refering to the rumours we've heard. According to them Zenimax was disappoined with the lack of progress on the project, which potentially could have led to grim scenarios for id. If they're pleased with the progress now, I guess the situation has improved.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #1062
john_doe2
Just as long as it's not a COD clone, I'm good.
Last edited by john_doe2; 07-09-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #1063
Nihilanth

Hugo Martin, previously a concept artist on Pacific Rim, is an Art Director at id. Here's what he said about DOOM 4:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Martin
I’m so happy to be a part of Quake Con this year and I am INCREDIBLY excited about the project we are working on here at id. We have great things in store for the fans of id and gamers everywhere!
Twitch.tv will let us stream everything from QuakeCon (starting today!). Welcome part of QC starts at 4:30pm central (it'll be weird without Todd, and with Tim Willits and Pete Hines instead), and Carmacks keynote begins half an hour later. Additionally there'll be another Carmack talk tommorow, The Physics of Light and Rendering, at 5pm central.

Twitch TV - Bethesda channel
Old 08-02-2013, 01:58 AM   #1064
Nihilanth

When asked about whether he can say anything about DOOM 4:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carmack
I can't. I actually asked about whether I could say anything related to the development and the answer was "no".
Of course I knew there would be no DOOM 4 this year but yay for not even the slightest mention. We're not getting anything and still we get less every year. Overally each QC keynote gets worse. There were good years like 2009 when a lot of what Carmack was talking about were things that id were doing. Right now there's literally nothing about anything related to id, nothing about games, nothing about technology. In retrospect even the VR heavy talk last year was more interesting than this.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:30 AM   #1065
Rapture_Rising

As grim as it sounds i personally think Doom 4 is dead, id might still be working on it but i do believe that there is nothing to show for their years of work the Bethesda will kill it.

I don't want for that to happen but IMHO the longer id and Bethesda are silent on Doom 4 the more chance it's dead.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #1066
Nihilanth

They'll keep it going but it might turn out to be a crucial title for id's survival as a game developer.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #1067
ScrewingUpMyRide

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/...only-on-doom-4

"I don’t want anybody to look at id’s next project and have this reaction that it’s still stuck in the 90s," - Pete Hines
Old 08-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #1068
crunchy superman

Why do I get the impression that we'll all eventually be pining for the version prior to the restart, much like DNF?

Old 08-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #1069
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

No idea.
Specially since we have nothing to go by on what a "previous version" would even be like. People would be pining for a made up version they dreamed up in their heads.

And, like it's so surprising for id to take forever to make games... and even restart after years of work.
The only difference this time, Bethesda likes to throw crap out there for the journalists to gobble up. So, the inner workings of id are being put on display, where as before... they kept that stuff to themselves and let the games speak for themselves.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:54 AM   #1070
Nihilanth

How so? If anything, Bethesda tries to keep everything as a secret. All the stuff about cancellations and restarts got out through leaks.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #1071
Echo Black

With the new Wolf pushed to 2014, I'm pretty sure Doom 4 is a 2015 game at the earliest. It'd be really unlike Bethesda to release two "id" AAA FPSes in the same (fiscal?) year, and even if id is not directly developing Wolf, Carmack's QC keynote seemed to suggest they're quite hands-on in giving MachineGames assistance with its development.
test of personal discipline."
- John Carmack
Old 08-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #1072
ScrewingUpMyRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo Black View Post
With the new Wolf pushed to 2014, I'm pretty sure Doom 4 is a 2015 game at the earliest. It'd be really unlike Bethesda to release two "id" AAA FPSes in the same (fiscal?) year, and even if id is not directly developing Wolf, Carmack's QC keynote seemed to suggest they're quite hands-on in giving MachineGames assistance with its development.
They have no major releases this year, which is kinda strange for a big publisher. You're probably right though. I think their line-up is probably Wolfy Q1-Q2, Evil Within Q3 2014, Fallout 4 Q4, Doom 4 Q4 2015, Prey 2 and Dishonored 2 in 2016.

It sounds like Doom 4 is a "make or break" opportunity for id. I honestly have no idea how it'l turn out. Bethesda wants it to be as big as a Skyrim or Fallout - who knows what kinds of design decisions they'll have to make to create a game that can appeal to a huge crowd like that?

If they're not going to make it like Doom or Doom 2, I hope they go absolutely crazy with it. Create something unlike any thing else out there. If they restated it in late 2011, we should probably see something for it next year.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #1073
Nihilanth

Yup, 2015 at the earliest. We'll be lucky if they reveal it in 2014 and even if they do, it'd probably be towards the end of the year.

I'm glad to hear the "don't want it to be stuck in 90s" comment. I always say that I want a new DOOM game, not a rehash of DOOM II. I'd rather take something somewhat new, for better or for worse, rather than a thing that tries to imitate this ancient game in modern tech.

A couple more comments from Carmack speeches:

> There aren't many changes being done to Tech 5 because "Wolf:TNO is still cross-generational".
> id is deeply involved with Machinegames and helping them out of the way to the release.
> On the other hand Tango are doing everything on their own. They've also made some radical changes to Tech 5.
> They (id) are de-optimizing a lot of "special cases" in Tech 5 that were necessary for 360/PS3 generation.
> Current work includes more physically plausible materials, getting high dynamic range with accurate interpolation of things.
> He moved closer to artists to find out what they need, identify things they may not understand and educate them.
> Most of the visual differentiation is coming from teaching artists how to properly utilize various things in the engine; there aren't any specific features being implemented to be "next-gen".
> He made a comment that aggresive technological push should stop, the focus should be on creativity and making the best use of the current tech. Note that I couldn't find that part on YT so it might not be entirely accurate.

One of the big questions is whether DOOM 4 (as a future title) will keep the support for 360/PS3 (like current titles - Wolf:TNO and TEW) or not. Carmack made it clear that they can't do radical changes to Tech 5 because Wolf is cross-generational but how does that relate to DOOM 4? Will it still target current gen to hit the broadest possible market or, being 2015+ title, focus on next gen and thus put all the additional power to use?
Old 08-07-2013, 01:43 AM   #1074
Nihilanth

RPS tried to pry out as much DOOM 4 info as possible. Here's an interview with Tim Willits.

RPS: Why no major announcements from id during this year’s QuakeCon?

Tim Willits:
It’s like Pete Hines said a few months ago: when we have something to talk about, the world will know.

RPS: A few QuakeCons ago, id pronounced that we’d definitely see Doom 4 soon. Now we definitely haven’t. What went wrong?

Tim Willits:
We looked at the game and wanted to make sure it was awesome, so we kind of reevaluated it a bit. Again, I hate to be this guy, but when we can talk about it, we’ll talk about it.

RPS: Do you have a timeframe for that? Soon-ish?

Tim Willits:
There’s no timeframe.

RPS: Why did you wear a Doom shirt on stage during the QuakeCon keynote? Were you trying to taunt us? Play awful, destructive games with our hearts?

Tim Willits:
Actually, this is the truth: I was gonna wear another shirt, but I forgot to pick it up. So I went down to the [show floor] store, and I was like, “Give me a Quake shirt and give me a Doom shirt.” Then I put the Quake one on and my jacket over it, and I was like, “Yeah, I like the Doom one better.” That is the truth. You now have the scoop on why I was wearing a Doom shirt [laughs].

RPS: You have a new artist who came over from Pacific Rim, of all things. Is Doom 4 now a Pacific Rim game? Is that the big secret?

Tim Willits:
[laughs] That’s funny. No one has to worry about that.

RPS: Awww. I kind of wanted to worry about that.

Tim Willits:
I think Guillermo del Toro might have a couple things to say if we did it.

RPS: Well, don’t use the license. Just fill Doom 4 with giant monsters and let me be a multi-stories-tall megaton robot. That’s basically what Doom has always been about, right?

Tim Willits:
[laughs]

RPS: But seriously, why all the secrecy? Is id in a state of flux? Where does that leave Doom? Is it still even a thing?

Tim Willits:
We are definitely focusing our attention on making a great game. Like I’ve said before, when everyone marches to the same drummer, you can make success. We really tried to streamline production. We’ve taken distractions out. We really are working like a much better, well-oiled machine. John [Carmack] hinted a little bit about that during his talk, where he discussed some of the help we’re giving the Machine Games guys on Wolfenstein – how that core tech can help with other engines.

RPS: What about Todd Hollenshead’s sudden departure? Conventional wisdom says that when your president/CEO of nearly two decades suddenly takes off, that’s a sign of pretty serious upheaval.

Tim Willits:
You know, it’s funny. To everyone else it came as a shock, but for us – for me, because I’ve known Todd for so long – it was kinda natural. He was with the company for a long time, and you know, all good things must come to an end. Trust me: I’ve asked him a lot of questions about hosting QuakeCon. I texted him, and he texted me back. He’s been a big help.

RPS: Is he still working in games?

Tim Willits:
I’m not sure what he’s doing.

RPS: Huh. OK then. When you were in the final stages of getting RAGE out, you talked a lot about how you couldn’t afford to do these massive, seven-year development cycles in this day and age. But Doom seems to be in danger of going down that road. Has it been hard to change your ship’s course – to push id in the direction of faster dev cycles?

Tim Willits:
It takes a while to turn a machine, but we’ve finally got it. Gears are moving. And Bethesda’s been great. They’ve really helped us sort things out. Working with the other sister studios has really helped us. It’s guided us out of [our old mindset]. You know, we’ve been around a long time, and things change. It’s been nice to have Bethesda around.

RPS: Things seemed rocky there for a bit. I mean, there was that Kotaku article about a fair amount of internal strife, trouble getting the Doom and RAGE teams to merge well, etc.

Tim Willits:
I know, I know. And you know, Pete Hines and I talked, and that’s when we came up with the statement we sent out. I think it works. But you know, you always get that [in game development]. And really, if we weren’t influential, if people weren’t interested in what we’re working on, you wouldn’t have those types of stories. But people are interested in what we’re working on, so sometimes people just like to, you know, dig up trash.

RPS: Are you still using id Tech 5 for Doom? Or are you toiling away on a new version of your engine in light of all the “next-gen” madness?

Tim Willits:
The core tech guys are developing new stuff in-engine, and we have the new hardware so we’re looking at what sorts of things we can do. So we’re growing the technology because, remember, the technology was built to always be expandable. To get us into the future. So we will continually develop that technology, and at some point we’ll change the number.

RPS: It’s an interesting time to be so high-end tech-focused, given that engines like Unity are swinging things in the complete opposite direction – de-emphasizing top-of-the-line bells and whistles in favor of usability by everyone.

Tim Willits:
And sometimes that stuff takes off. You cannot predict crazy success. You can try to foster creativity. You can try to build a process. But it is exciting that we have people who can come up with ideas that explode and are just amazing.

RPS: It really is! But graphics seem to be less and less of a factor for many people – whether they play smaller indie games or not. Where does that leave a company like id that specializes in that sort of thing?

Tim Willits:
It’s becoming more and more difficult to shock and awe people with technology. And there will always be studios that develop new tech to push things forward. But the great thing is that we also have studios that can do things with smaller engines and be successful. It’s always been about how fun the game is. Technology has always helped that and gotten people to pay attention to something, but at the end of the day, it’s got to be fun.

RPS: Even so, is it a little bit frightening to lose one of your biggest calling cards? Or for it to become significantly less important in the span of just a couple releases from id?

Tim Willits:
No, not really. As long as the next game we make is great, as long as we can help other Bethesda studios like Machine make something great, I think we’ll be fine.

A couple of other things noted by all interviewers:

* We knew that already, but id is not working on anything else than DOOM 4. Everyone's focused solely on that.
* There won't be any new IP in a forseeable future. The next project will probably not be RAGE 2. With DOOM and Wolf in development that potentially leaves Quake as a future development.
* Tim Willits never says "DOOM 4".
Old 08-07-2013, 03:52 AM   #1075
X-Vector

So to recap:

Id software was a company set in its nineties ways trying to relive its glory days and therefore unable to keep up with current events; management got rid of some opinionated antiques, replaced them with expendable yes men and now prostitutes its old franchises on behalf of the new overlords.
An icon of PC gaming swallowed by the machine, hanging on for dear life.

Is that it or am I being a bit too biased (the last id IP game I bought was RtCW for a reason)?
Old 08-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #1076
ScrewingUpMyRide

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/07/john...re-for-oculus/
id “unaffected” by Carmack Oculus move – Bethesda

Working full time at a different company. That's not going to have an impact on Doom 4/ Doom reboot. No change there. "Leadership" role must involve not coming in everyday. End of a an era. Nice of Bethesda to announce that change after Quakecon. Don't worry folks, not a big deal. Just like Prey 2's delay has a simple explanation.

https://twitter.com/MorrisatLarge/st...42152864464896
Old 08-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #1077
Echo Black

Oculus told Engadget via email he's not really working at id anymore, and I doubt they'd run their mouth off on that unless it was the truth. I have to assume John's role at id will be mostly ceremonial, despite the damage control and spinny PR talk Bethesda and some others will assuredly spread around.

Quote:
In an email from the folks at Oculus, Carmack was confirmed to be out at the company he helped found -- id Software -- and joining Oculus full-time as CTO. He will apparently still serve some role at id, as id's parent company told Engadget (...)

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

I'll screencap Chris Morris' tweet (post above for link) in case it gets deleted. Pretty bombastic stuff!

test of personal discipline."
- John Carmack
Old 08-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #1078
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

First Todd, now John... how long before Tim decides it's time to "move on"?

Makes me sad for the future of id.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #1079
ScrewingUpMyRide

John, Todd, Tim and Kevin would've got a huge payout from the Zenimax acquisition so it's not an awful end. But seeing id fall apart like this is a bit of a bummer. Sounds like it's a standard 4 year contract, and that it's up it's time to move on. id's best years were behind them, and nothing can diminish their legacy. Still it's a bit of a bummer. I wish he would've got a nice send off by Bethesda instead of this lame mixed messaging. The man's a legend!

id's still hiring (including Pacific Rim's art director) so things will be okay for the time being. It just won't be the same.
Last edited by ScrewingUpMyRide; 08-07-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #1080
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I haven't been happy with how Bethesda has been handling id for a while now.

I remember when they got bought by ZeniMax, John and Todd and others seemed really excited to get away from Activision. Stating that the good thing about Bethesda was they allowed them to work as they wanted. id could function internally at their pace, by their means with no interference from ZeniMax.

But, it feels like that statement was only true for a little while.
I LOVE RAGE. Really loved it. But, in a lot of ways it didn't feel as if id were truly ready for it to be released. I know Bethesda kept making comments about it coming out soon, and how huge it would be, yet id seemed pretty quiet on that side. Stating, "It's coming along nicely" but staying true to their stance of never committing to a release window until they were sure.
Then RAGE releases, and according to ZeniMax... it was a disappointment. Despite that for a brand new IP it sold really well, reviewed well... it wasn't good enough for them.

Then, the talks of Bethesda mirco-managing Arkane during the development of DisHonored. The whole fiasco between Bethesda and Human Head. And the issues surrounding Doom 4 and them "canceling" RAGE 2.

I liked ZeniMax as a publisher when they were focused on only a few studios. But, as they've grown, taken on more companies... their attitude towards a lot of things just comes across awkward.

I can't wait to play Doom 4. I'll preorder it and get it day one. But, honestly, I see it being the last true "id" game from the company I grew up loving. Like a lot of favorite studios (Monolith specifically) this could be the end of the id we all know as the studio transitions from the people we respect, to a bunch of new faces.