Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > Archives > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem Forever
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2009, 02:32 AM   #41
Private420
Re: DNF review on escapist
Dam now Im going to have to get married like 3 times before I get 1000/1000
Private420 is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 03:25 AM   #42
Mofasa
Re: DNF review on escapist
hahahahahahaha!!!! this was funny :---)
Mofasa is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 03:28 AM   #43
Ordinary
Re: DNF review on escapist
Yahtzee? Who the hell is this guy?

EDIT: Well... he's kinda of funny, but i don't identify myself with this video, couse i've just known about this game last Christmas.
Last edited by Ordinary; 05-30-2009 at 03:46 AM.
Ordinary is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 03:29 AM   #44
gungriffon geona

gungriffon geona's Avatar
Re: DNF review on escapist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosma View Post
Actually, it's a great example. He employs the ironic example of DNF actually being released and being worth 12 years of development to disparage the fact that it's not released and probably wasn't going to be worth 12 years of development. They could use it as the example of satire in the OED.
it's not really satire, it's more strangling a cat and calling it funny because you're morally dead inside. Which in general he's just yelling angrily because one of the staff is probably angry over all of this and thought he should make the guy talk about it.
it's like how SNL hasn't been funny since maybe it's first two seasons and now drags skits on for a full 5-10 minutes.
gungriffon geona is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 05:47 AM   #45
Crosma

Crosma's Avatar
Exclamation Re: DNF review on escapist
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungriffon geona View Post
it's not really satire, it's more strangling a cat and calling it funny because you're morally dead inside.
I think I explained how the humour is an example of satire. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?

That's a rhetorical question, by the way.

Humour is entirely logical and this is logically-speaking an example of satire. Strangling a cat would not be, unless you were doing it in a manner that mocked cat-stranglers, or something of that nature (there are, of course, other examples of satire, but that's the appropriate one in this discussion (and the one that Stephen Colbert uses, for reference)).
__________________
(define love (lambda () (map conquer all)))
Crosma is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 08:08 AM   #46
lordlonelobo

lordlonelobo's Avatar
Re: DNF review on escapist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosma View Post
Actually, it's a great example. He employs the ironic example of DNF actually being released and being worth 12 years of development to disparage the fact that it's not released and probably wasn't going to be worth 12 years of development. They could use it as the example of satire in the OED.
Eexccept that the poster had said he didn't find it funny because of "silly and chaotic crap", not the subject. The subject is satire, yes, but the delivery is not, which is he was saying. So, no, satire didn't mean what you thought it meant.
lordlonelobo is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 09:08 AM   #47
Crosma

Crosma's Avatar
Exclamation Re: DNF review on escapist
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordlonelobo View Post
The subject is satire, yes, but the delivery is not, which is he was saying.
How can it not be? He delivers the diatribe from the satirical position. It's all very intentional, not "chaotic" at all.
__________________
(define love (lambda () (map conquer all)))
Crosma is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #48
gungriffon geona

gungriffon geona's Avatar
Re: DNF review on escapist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosma View Post
How can it not be? He delivers the diatribe from the satirical position. It's all very intentional, not "chaotic" at all.
randomly tossing around stupid shit about firing guns with ears and generally acting within the realm of 'lol randumb exdee' is pretty chaotic and thoughtless if you ask me. the whole thing lacked structure and tact entirely, something (despite how unfunny he is) his writers can USUALLY do pretty well. This exact same thing happened when he did that thing about webcomics. Someone was actually angry there too, but even it wasn't near as pointlessly fast and tossed around as this.
gungriffon geona is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 10:04 PM   #49
Crosma

Crosma's Avatar
Exclamation Re: DNF review on escapist
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungriffon geona View Post
randomly tossing around stupid shit about firing guns with ears
That was a joke about the game being so good that the controller is used in a newer and better way. The joke being that the current way of doing things can't necessarily be improved. I.e. there is no point in a long development time, because this mythical game of enlightenment and wonder isn't achievable.

I'll explain some more jokes for you if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungriffon geona View Post
his writers
What the huh?
__________________
(define love (lambda () (map conquer all)))
Last edited by Crosma; 05-30-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Crosma is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 10:56 PM   #50
gungriffon geona

gungriffon geona's Avatar
Re: DNF review on escapist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosma View Post
That was a joke about the game being so good that the controller is used in a newer and better way. The joke being that the current way of doing things can't necessarily be improved. I.e. there is no point in a long development time, because this mythical game of enlightenment and wonder isn't achievable.
explaining the obvious doesn't make it any less random in delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosma View Post
What the huh?
He has writers. he's had them ever since he started on The Escapist. there's been proof of it too.
gungriffon geona is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 01:18 AM   #51
Monkey Butler
Re: DNF review on escapist
sauce or it didn't happen.
Monkey Butler is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 03:51 AM   #52
Crosma

Crosma's Avatar
Exclamation Re: DNF review on escapist
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungriffon geona View Post
explaining the obvious doesn't make it any less random in delivery.
How can intentional satire be random? That's like saying that the occurrence of zombies in horror movies is random. It's theoretically true, but missing the point by a mile.

I don't know whether he has writers or not, but I couldn't find any mention of it elsewhere and I've never heard such before.
__________________
(define love (lambda () (map conquer all)))
Crosma is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 04:22 AM   #53
conantheking

conantheking's Avatar
Re: DNF review on escapist
You lot are starting to get way too pedantic now.
__________________
Just an average Duke fan.
conantheking is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 04:40 AM   #54
gungriffon geona

gungriffon geona's Avatar
Re: DNF review on escapist
It's random monkeycheese humor. suddenly going off on wild tangents about buckets of ice water and flinging poo while sticking arms and legs on things in britishland with russian names is what it's generally about. you could kick someone in the crotch and it would equal the same thing. if you drag it on it's just strangling the cat.
He's also stating pretty much everything that's been said and ever will be said about the entire thing until there's proof otherwise. He's equally beating a dead horse, and he's a good 2-3 weeks late for the party.
gungriffon geona is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 05:27 AM   #55
Monkey Butler
Re: DNF review on escapist
But those 'wild tangents' in fact aren't tangents at all, they're the whole point of the joke.
Monkey Butler is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 07:34 AM   #56
Crosma

Crosma's Avatar
Exclamation Re: DNF review on escapist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Butler View Post
But those 'wild tangents' in fact aren't tangents at all, they're the whole point of the joke.
Exactly. At this point I'm just confused why people don't get the joke (it's not exactly a hard one) even though I've been explaining it in far too much detail.
__________________
(define love (lambda () (map conquer all)))
Crosma is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 07:47 AM   #57
jaimie10
Re: DNF review on escapist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosma View Post
Exactly. At this point I'm just confused why people don't get the joke (it's not exactly a hard one) even though I've been explaining it in far too much detail.
I get the joke. There are a lot of Americans and (even worse) Canadians here who don't understand satire, irony, sarcasm etc hence the reason a few guys didn't get it. That said it wasn't particularly funny. Yeah it was oK for 1/2 minutes and I chuckled, but it just went on and on and on. If something is funny for 1 minute it doesn't mean you can continue the joke for 10 minutes and still think people will be laughing at the end.
jaimie10 is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 09:44 AM   #58
Zwolf
Re: DNF review on escapist
Don't care if it was satire or not, it was crap. Better get a good serious review or a good pure satire than a bad satirical review (not even sure he can be good at one of the aspects anyway...)
By the way his stupid motto to talk insanely fast just make it boring and painful to understand to not native english speaker.
Not that I disagree with all of what he says in his reviews but the lack of talent just blew it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimie10 View Post
I get the joke. There are a lot of Americans and (even worse) Canadians here who don't understand satire, irony, sarcasm etc hence the reason a few guys didn't get it.
Talking about Americans or Canadians like that is just dumb country steretotype. Not that I am one nor the other.
Last edited by Zwolf; 05-31-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Zwolf is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 03:55 PM   #59
prophecy holder

prophecy holder's Avatar
Re: DNF review on escapist
Now this forums is degrading into sad people using sterotypes to feel better about themselfs, for the love of all that it holy LOCK THIS THREAD PLEASE.

__________________
"Ever since I was a little boy, dressing up has always been...my greatest joy. But when It's time to be discreet, there is one thing you just can't beat and that's a strapless backless classical little black dress"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e4BCOrLmJ0
prophecy holder is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 04:48 PM   #60
Willem-Jan
Re: DNF review on escapist
Quote:
Originally Posted by conantheking View Post
You lot are starting to get way too pedantic now.
I agree, shallow and pedantic
Willem-Jan is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 07:54 PM   #61
Hating4AM
Re: DNF review on escapist
The "review" was true, witty, well timed and funny. Grow a f\/cking sense of humor you twats. Stop taking OTHER people's problems so personally and/or seriously. Christ almighty...
Hating4AM is offline  
Old 06-01-2009, 04:28 AM   #62
Karmeck
Re: DNF review on escapist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willem-Jan View Post
I agree, shallow and pedantic
ahh, a family guy reference
Karmeck is offline  
Old 06-01-2009, 04:56 AM   #63
Damien from omen
Re: DNF review on escapist
That guy is just another whinging pom who lives in my country, much like my school's auto teacher.

Yes I know there is a funny side to it but I didn't laugh.
Damien from omen is offline  
Old 06-01-2009, 08:24 AM   #64
Willem-Jan
Re: DNF review on escapist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmeck View Post
ahh, a family guy reference
Haha damn right it is:
Willem-Jan is offline  
Old 06-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #65
Alexander

Alexander's Avatar
Re: DNF review on escapist
Aahh... yes, yes.. what a comedic genius...
Is it just me who thinks this is a wanabe comedian with absolutely nothing intelligent to say? Lots of bla bla from one moron to another...

Christ... Some pi**ed off "fans" clearly have to much free time!
__________________
If looks could kill they probably will,
in games without frontiers,
war without tears... -- Peter Gabriel
Alexander is offline  
Old 06-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #66
DarkShadows

DarkShadows's Avatar
Re: DNF review on escapist
I watched this while waiting for my account to activate and I found it somewhat funny. To each their own, right?
DarkShadows is offline  
Old 06-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #67
Crosma

Crosma's Avatar
Exclamation Re: DNF review on escapist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
Is it just me who thinks this is a wanabe comedian with absolutely nothing intelligent to say?
You think ad hominems are intelligent, but satire isn't? What sort of monster are you?

I'm not saying anyone has to find it funny, but you can't attack something irrationally just because you're offended because someone insulted the video game you're a fan of. Man up.
__________________
(define love (lambda () (map conquer all)))
Last edited by Crosma; 06-01-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Crosma is offline  
Old 06-02-2009, 06:08 AM   #68
Derfernet
Re: DNF review on escapist
For the love of... Insult =/= ad hominem

If I say you're a dumbass and wrong that is not an ad hominem. If I say you're wrong because of some negative aspect of your character completely unrelated to the argument THAT is an ad hominem.

As far as I can tell Alexander wasn't saying that what was in the "review" was wrong because Yahtzee was a "wanabe comedian with absolutely nothing intelligent to say" but rather that he was a "wanabe comedian with absolutely nothing intelligent to say" because he saw the video and obviously disagreed with it.
Last edited by Derfernet; 06-02-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Derfernet is offline  
Old 06-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #69
Zavage
Re: DNF review on escapist
IF you get sued because you got paid for a job you didn't you that is not tragic that is how the world should be. VERY VERY VERY TRUE, and I agree
Zavage is offline  
Old 06-07-2009, 09:54 PM   #70
Crosma

Crosma's Avatar
Exclamation Re: DNF review on escapist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfernet View Post
If I say you're a dumbass and wrong that is not an ad hominem. If I say you're wrong because of some negative aspect of your character completely unrelated to the argument THAT is an ad hominem.
A = Yahtzee is wrong.
B = Because he's a wanabee comedian with nothing intelligent to say.

That's an ad hominem because he's disparaging the character of the individual rather than attacking the review. Hence, "argument to the man."

Yes, that is what he did. Look at Alexander's other posts for more of the same.
__________________
(define love (lambda () (map conquer all)))
Crosma is offline  
Old 06-08-2009, 07:39 AM   #71
Derfernet
Re: DNF review on escapist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosma View Post
A = Yahtzee is wrong.
B = Because he's a wanabee comedian with nothing intelligent to say.

That's an ad hominem because he's disparaging the character of the individual rather than attacking the review. Hence, "argument to the man."

Yes, that is what he did. Look at Alexander's other posts for more of the same.
"Is it just me who thinks this is a wanabe comedian with absolutely nothing intelligent to say?"

In saying he has nothing intelligent to say I admit he is adding in a implicit judgment of the truth of the review but not as a consequent of him being a wannabe comedian, merely as an addition.
If, instead, he had said that the review was bullshit BECAUSE he was a whiny wanker then THAT would be an ad hominem. I haven't read his other posts but that post in particular contained 0 ad hominems, just insults.

His post suggests this order:

disagree with Yahtzee>>>>>>>>wannabe comedian+nothing intelligent to say

But you seem to want this order:

wannabe comedian>>>>>>>>disagree with Yahtzee+nothing intelligent to say

I assume you are attacking specifically the wannabe comedian comment because "nothing intelligent to say" is referring Yahtzee's opinions and arguments, not the person, and can not be an ad hominem in any order.
Last edited by Derfernet; 06-08-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Derfernet is offline  
Old 06-08-2009, 09:28 AM   #72
Crosma

Crosma's Avatar
Exclamation Re: DNF review on escapist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfernet View Post
But you seem to want this order:

wannabe comedian>>>>>>>>disagree with Yahtzee+nothing intelligent to say
No, not at all. I can't even work out how you worked that out from my posts. You can't just make up my position for me.

Alexander is trying to protect DNF by attacking Yahtzee for making a disparaging review. I.e. trying to discredit the review by attacking the reviewer. That's an ad hominem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfernet View Post
I assume you are attacking specifically the wannabe comedian comment because "nothing intelligent to say" is referring Yahtzee's opinions and arguments, not the person, and can not be an ad hominem in any order.
I didn't attack the "wannabe comedian" comment specifically anywhere. Show me where you think I did.
__________________
(define love (lambda () (map conquer all)))
Crosma is offline  
Old 06-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #73
Derfernet
Re: DNF review on escapist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosma View Post
No, not at all. I can't even work out how you worked that out from my posts. You can't just make up my position for me.

Alexander is trying to protect DNF by attacking Yahtzee for making a disparaging review. I.e. trying to discredit the review by attacking the reviewer. That's an ad hominem.

I didn't attack the "wannabe comedian" comment specifically anywhere. Show me where you think I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosma View Post
A = Yahtzee is wrong.
B = Because he's a wanabee comedian with nothing intelligent to say.
That's an ad hominem because he's disparaging the character of the individual rather than attacking the review. Hence, "argument to the man."QUOTE]
Here you say that he is claiming Yahtzee is wrong follows from (notice the “because”) him thinking he’s a wannabe comedian with nothing intelligent to say. insult>>>>>>>>disagree with Yahtzee (or "Yahtzee is wrong") is exactly the order you are proposing.
The problem here is that it is obvious that Alexander’s opinion was not being used in his short post to argue ANYTHING. He was just stating his opinion, not about the review, but about the person. If I say you’re a wrong bastard and start posting nothing but insults that’s not an ad hominem, it’s just being a douchebag.
My interpretation is that he is not saying the review is wrong because he doesn’t like yahtzee, he’s just saying he doesn’t like yahtzee.

Also I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, I'm sorry if it seems that way.
Last edited by Derfernet; 06-08-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Derfernet is offline  
Old 06-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #74
gungriffon geona

gungriffon geona's Avatar
Re: DNF review on escapist
I enjoy watching this unfold quite a bit!
gungriffon geona is offline  
Old 06-08-2009, 09:55 PM   #75
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Inanimate Carbon Rod's Avatar
Re: DNF review on escapist
I enjoyed the video and it is likely true that whatever was going to be released probably was not going to be worth 12 years of development. No FPS can possibly need 12 years.
__________________
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein
Inanimate Carbon Rod is offline  
Old 06-09-2009, 04:18 AM   #76
niconude

niconude's Avatar
Re: DNF review on escapist
Especially liked the bit where Duke goes into the lead designers office to beat him up!
niconude is offline  
Old 06-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #77
R22B
Re: DNF review on escapist
Ugh.

This guy is a rambling idiot. His name should be *Yawn*zee. I never knew anyone could talk how most people write – without any punctuation. It’s annoying and he’s hardly funny. If he talked at a half decent speed like he wasn’t jacked up on speed and crack it wouldn’t be bad to watch; until then I can just hope he OD’s on the stuff.
R22B is offline  
Old 06-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #78
Guess Who

Guess Who's Avatar
Re: DNF review on escapist
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinX View Post
I find this clip annoying and not funny... Its just too silly and chaotic crap
I just feel the same way about this.
Guess Who is offline  
Old 06-10-2009, 07:29 AM   #79
Skiffer
 
Re: DNF review on escapist
I find the arguments in this thread alot more entertaining. Also, the long development time of Duke Nukem Forever is well worth it, not for the game, but the effects it has on this particular forum and the lulz that cometh thereof.
Skiffer is offline  
Old 06-10-2009, 08:36 AM   #80
Sang

Sang's Avatar
Re: DNF review on escapist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willem-Jan View Post
I agree, shallow and pedantic
Blast you, I wanted to do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiffer View Post
I find the arguments in this thread alot more entertaining.
I did too at first, but now they're just starting to drag on
__________________
traB pu kcip
Sang is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:40 AM.

Page generated in 0.42518592 seconds (100.00% PHP - 0% MySQL) with 16 queries

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Website is 1987-2014 Apogee Software, Ltd.
Ideas and messages posted here become property of Apogee Software Ltd.