Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > Archives > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem Forever
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #41
Justyce
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
I've been telling people here for a while I am using Unity - but in these forums if you are not using eduke/build they don't want to hear it.

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

Tropical Island level - basic setup, no model added yet
too big to upload here, windows executable (no viruses)
http://www.2shared.com/file/jhG41gFT...island_v1.html
Justyce is offline  
Old 08-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #42
Oveneise

Oveneise's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cof_3pc View Post
24 hours? I beat it in under 12 my first time through it.
o.o Only 12 hours and the first time through?! Man, you must've breezed through that game. No one I know has beat in under 17. Good job man.
I honestly expect the game to be around 10 hours, if less that's alright. I think that since the games been in development for so long, a lot of people are expecting BIG things from it. But I'm sure 3D Realms will deliver.
__________________
Take his BED.
Oveneise is offline  
Old 08-28-2010, 06:02 AM   #43
cof_3pc

cof_3pc's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
I'm not bragging. I just really think Half Life 2 should take no more than 12 hours. That's being easy on you IMO. I could beat it in probably 8 or 9 now. It's really not as long as it seems.
__________________
RAWR! I'm in the Duketard Guild, because I am a lvl 70 bad ass. "Eat shit and die!"
cof_3pc is offline  
Old 08-28-2010, 06:49 AM   #44
Rapture_Rising

Rapture_Rising's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
i personally dont care how long DNF will be but by judging from the leaked plot and some level maps i think DNF would be maybe 8 - 9 hours max anymore would really surprise me.
__________________
Here we go folks... The rarest creature in nature... The Duketard. I will now approach him very quitely and... Jam my thumb in his butt hole. That should REALLY piss him off!.
Rapture_Rising is offline  
Old 08-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #45
Biotech45

Biotech45's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
they've makin it for 13 yrs now im preety sure its gonna be long!
Biotech45 is offline  
Old 08-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #46
KO Gilligan

KO Gilligan's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
It'll be over 9000 minutes of gameplay.
KO Gilligan is offline  
Old 08-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #47
PredatorFL

PredatorFL's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
It will be as long as Duke's enormous Tool makes it.
PredatorFL is offline  
Old 08-28-2010, 10:58 PM   #48
Oveneise

Oveneise's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cof_3pc View Post
I'm not bragging. I just really think Half Life 2 should take no more than 12 hours. That's being easy on you IMO. I could beat it in probably 8 or 9 now. It's really not as long as it seems.
... I didn't think you were bragging man. Just think thats pretty quick.
__________________
Take his BED.
Oveneise is offline  
Old 08-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #49
cof_3pc

cof_3pc's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Just covering my ass because I know there's people that have beaten it way faster than me and would probably call me a noob lol
__________________
RAWR! I'm in the Duketard Guild, because I am a lvl 70 bad ass. "Eat shit and die!"
cof_3pc is offline  
Old 08-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #50
mr.smith

mr.smith's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
I remember George posting something on the forums about the game length being 20 hours.
so i guess i would have to go with what ever George Said.
mr.smith is offline  
Old 08-29-2010, 11:48 AM   #51
hailtothekingbaby
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
I hope there's a lot of replay value, tons of hidden extras and collectibles. Maybe some hidden nuke symbols which unlock stories/anecdotes about the game's development?
hailtothekingbaby is offline  
Old 08-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #52
Conan of Cooma
 
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
HL2 doesn't take anywhere near 24 hours.

DNF had better be well over 20, anything less would make all the engine changes and delays kind of pointless.
Conan of Cooma is offline  
Old 08-29-2010, 09:08 PM   #53
thunderPIN

thunderPIN's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
It seems these days that single player campaigns in shooters are short and it's the multiplayer that gives the majority of the gameplay time. I'd like to see the DNF campaign last around 15 hours. Anything less then 10 hours on the first playthrough is unacceptable to me. Either way, I know I'll play through the game numerous times. I've put TONS of hours into Duke 3D single player and DNF will probably be no different.
thunderPIN is offline  
Old 08-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #54
Oveneise

Oveneise's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cof_3pc View Post
Just covering my ass because I know there's people that have beaten it way faster than me and would probably call me a noob lol
I see. Half-Life 2 was so amazing, it was so entertaining and so much fun to play. I hope DNF is like that. I now know that gameplay time will differ from gamer to gamer. I guess I'm the n00b here, lol. I'm still kinda P.O'ed Valve hasn't said much about Half-Life 2, episode 3, or Half-Life 3.
__________________
Take his BED.
Oveneise is offline  
Old 08-30-2010, 06:14 AM   #55
ferran275

ferran275's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oveneise View Post
I see. Half-Life 2 was so amazing, it was so entertaining and so much fun to play. I hope DNF is like that. I now know that gameplay time will differ from gamer to gamer. I guess I'm the n00b here, lol. I'm still kinda P.O'ed Valve hasn't said much about Half-Life 2, episode 3, or Half-Life 3.
I'm pissed about ep3 that's for sure. I usually take a really long time playing games just because I take my time, I look around, and I basically immerse myself in the environment. Which is why I can't stand all the FPS's of today with the army or TEAM based crap... so lame. I love just being this one man killing machine that has the bad guys crapping themselves because they dont understand why you WON'T JUST DIE ALREADY

I wonder why I love Duke so much.... hmm...
ferran275 is offline  
Old 08-30-2010, 08:19 AM   #56
cof_3pc

cof_3pc's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oveneise View Post
I see. Half-Life 2 was so amazing, it was so entertaining and so much fun to play. I hope DNF is like that. I now know that gameplay time will differ from gamer to gamer. I guess I'm the n00b here, lol. I'm still kinda P.O'ed Valve hasn't said much about Half-Life 2, episode 3, or Half-Life 3.
Yeah me too. Half Life 2 still currently stands as my favorite single player FPS. Before that it was the original Unreal. I love games with scenery change that goes to big out doors areas, interaction, little puzzles, etc.
__________________
RAWR! I'm in the Duketard Guild, because I am a lvl 70 bad ass. "Eat shit and die!"
cof_3pc is offline  
Old 08-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #57
SpinX

SpinX's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
I think half life 1 was the best FPS single player experience... I loved the pacing and setting more than its sequel...
__________________
waiting for: Elite sequel, Half life 3, Diablo3, DNF
Enough is enough! I've had it with these motherxxxxxx delays on this motherxxxxxx game :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/ftbfelix
SpinX is offline  
Old 08-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #58
Dark Rabbit
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferran275 View Post
I'm pissed about ep3 that's for sure. I usually take a really long time playing games just because I take my time, I look around, and I basically immerse myself in the environment. Which is why I can't stand all the FPS's of today with the army or TEAM based crap... so lame. I love just being this one man killing machine that has the bad guys crapping themselves because they dont understand why you WON'T JUST DIE ALREADY

I wonder why I love Duke so much.... hmm...
Same here. I like to look around, and see the world the developers have made, and explore it. I like feeling that I am in that facility or wherever.

I think it's because some developers assume that players have the attention span of a gnat, and they'll get bored quickly. But maybe the team player stuff is just there because it takes more effort to create a story for single player?
Though I'm just guessing.

I just hope DNF is nice and long, so I can spend a decent time in 'there.' I also hope they have a decent story, and not just 'Duke runs around blasting stuff, because he simply doesn't like the idea of aliens breeding with human women.'
Is it because they will then wipe out the human race, or is it mostly that humans will be 'mixed' with something else? And that the aliens and/or pigcops are competing?

I want to know the deeper parts of the story, for why Duke does what he's doing.
Dark Rabbit is offline  
Old 08-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #59
ferran275

ferran275's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rabbit View Post
'Duke runs around blasting stuff, because he simply doesn't like the idea of aliens breeding with human women.'
got to admit, got a little turned on just sayin'
ferran275 is offline  
Old 08-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #60
Romulus_ut3
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
One of the things we fought with when 3DR was still together was the perception that if DNF didn't have a single player campaign that was a length commensurate to the complete time it was under development, it was going to be some sort of ripoff.

Never liked that.
Thank you man for sharing the info with us and I wish you all the best.

And as for the game length, after 13 years of development, anything less than 20~15 hours of single player gameplay for a first run is unacceptable specially for a game like duke, But I'm sure with all the puzzles, it should take us a bit longer.
Last edited by Romulus_ut3; 08-30-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Romulus_ut3 is offline  
Old 08-30-2010, 07:29 PM   #61
Dark Rabbit
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferran275 View Post
got to admit, got a little turned on just sayin'
It's all good

Though I do wonder about what would happen ultimately if the aliens were allowed to complete their 'task' unopposed. Would the aliens remain, or would they fly back to their homeworld with the hybrid offspring?
What happens to the pigcops? Do they remain on earth, or are they taken along with their alien masters?
Are the aliens intending to cause the human race's extinction after they are finished, or will they just leave it alone thereafter? Would it eventually regrow back, or would it die? Are the pigcops totally their own species now (with any possible females) or would they ah... try to interbreed with human women since they still seem to be interested in them?

This is something that could be explored if the campaign was long enough, or there were sequals. I would like to know further about what the aliens are up to, because it makes what Duke does more 'heroic.'
Dark Rabbit is offline  
Old 08-30-2010, 09:12 PM   #62
Oveneise

Oveneise's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
When I play a FPS, I love getting immersed, the environments and audio are always what I look for in a game. Call of Cthulhu: DCOTE was probably the best game when it comes to being immersed. I'm thinking about trying "The Suffering", a Midway shooter for the Xbox...
But yeah Half Life and its sequel are fantastic, but Gordon needs to spit out some one liners once in a while, lol!
__________________
Take his BED.
Oveneise is offline  
Old 08-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #63
ferran275

ferran275's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oveneise View Post
When I play a FPS, I love getting immersed, the environments and audio are always what I look for in a game. Call of Cthulhu: DCOTE was probably the best game when it comes to being immersed. I'm thinking about trying "The Suffering", a Midway shooter for the Xbox...
But yeah Half Life and its sequel are fantastic, but Gordon needs to spit out some one liners once in a while, lol!
Duke vs. Gordon in a 'Jason vs. Freddy' type of movie: DISCUSS
ferran275 is offline  
Old 08-30-2010, 09:35 PM   #64
Oveneise

Oveneise's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferran275 View Post
Duke vs. Gordon in a 'Jason vs. Freddy' type of movie: DISCUSS
Gordon would try to kick Duke in his goodies... but their made of steel. So no effect. Then Duke would punch Gordon's appendix. Anything could happen from there.
__________________
Take his BED.
Oveneise is offline  
Old 08-30-2010, 10:39 PM   #65
Commando Nukem

Commando Nukem's Avatar
Cool Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rabbit View Post
'Duke runs around blasting stuff, because he simply doesn't like the idea of aliens breeding with human women.'
But thats Duke Nukem. Thats all there is to it. Add much more and you get a contrivance. The best Duke has ever been in terms of narrative was "Duke Nukem : Zero Hour." And that had the 'depth' of any good action movie. Enough to keep you entertained and move the story long, whilst also staying the freck out the way.

Duke smokes cigars, drinks beer, oogles chicks. Aliens mess all of those things up. Hes just minding his own business, and BAM! Chicks are being stolen, beer is being spilled, and he didnt even get a chance to light the stogey. So hes gotta kick some ass.

Here's the thing people both in Hollywood and the video game industry dont seem to get... You dont over work the plumbing with a character like Duke. Its straight forward for a reason. I dont want emotional scenes, I dont want overlong cinematic sequences explaining exactly what aliens do to women, and I sure dont want to get into the aliens politics.

Get the lead out and kick some ass. No bullshit, no bubblegum. I mean, doesn't aliens stealing our chicks piss you off? Isn't that enough to get your blood pumping, adrenaline flowing, and your testosterone surging?

Here, i'll let this review of the movie "Turok : Son of Stone" elaborate, because it addresses this far more elegantly.:
http://popdose.com/how-bad-can-it-be...-son-of-stone/

Bottom line, i'd take a shorter Duke Nukem Forever campaign if its GLORIOUS. If it over stays its welcome, and turns into Doom 3, where you go through a bajillion Alpha Labs, things get repetive. Its more of a harm than a help.

Besides, if DNF is playing its cards the right way, I should want to go back and play it again and again. There should be a lot to explore, lots of interactivity, lots of hilarity and injokes to find. Cram in a billion lifeless locations all day, nothing will beat focus, fun, and style.
__________________
Open Maw Productions
Commando Nukem is offline  
Old 08-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #66
Oveneise

Oveneise's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando Nukem View Post
But thats Duke Nukem. Thats all there is to it. Add much more and you get a contrivance. The best Duke has ever been in terms of narrative was "Duke Nukem : Zero Hour." And that had the 'depth' of any good action movie. Enough to keep you entertained and move the story long, whilst also staying the freck out the way.

Duke smokes cigars, drinks beer, oogles chicks. Aliens mess all of those things up. Hes just minding his own business, and BAM! Chicks are being stolen, beer is being spilled, and he didnt even get a chance to light the stogey. So hes gotta kick some ass.

Here's the thing people both in Hollywood and the video game industry dont seem to get... You dont over work the plumbing with a character like Duke. Its straight forward for a reason. I dont want emotional scenes, I dont want overlong cinematic sequences explaining exactly what aliens do to women, and I sure dont want to get into the aliens politics.

Get the lead out and kick some ass. No bullshit, no bubblegum. I mean, doesn't aliens stealing our chicks piss you off? Isn't that enough to get your blood pumping, adrenaline flowing, and your testosterone surging?

Here, i'll let this review of the movie "Turok : Son of Stone" elaborate, because it addresses this far more elegantly.:
http://popdose.com/how-bad-can-it-be...-son-of-stone/

Bottom line, i'd take a shorter Duke Nukem Forever campaign if its GLORIOUS. If it over stays its welcome, and turns into Doom 3, where you go through a bajillion Alpha Labs, things get repetive. Its more of a harm than a help.

Besides, if DNF is playing its cards the right way, I should want to go back and play it again and again. There should be a lot to explore, lots of interactivity, lots of hilarity and injokes to find. Cram in a billion lifeless locations all day, nothing will beat focus, fun, and style.
Aw man! I loved Doom 3 D:
Honestly... I really hope Duke Nukem Forever has a good backstory and character development. Gameplay is always the most important thing in a game... but there had better be a good story in DNF. And some easter eggs for good measure.
__________________
Take his BED.
Oveneise is offline  
Old 08-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #67
Commando Nukem

Commando Nukem's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oveneise View Post
Aw man! I loved Doom 3 D:
Honestly... I really hope Duke Nukem Forever has a good backstory and character development. Gameplay is always the most important thing in a game... but there had better be a good story in DNF. And some easter eggs for good measure.
I mostly enjoyed Doom 3, but there were a few sections that just didnt need to be there, contributed nothing, and just padded the games length out. Thats no reason for parts of a game to be there.
__________________
Open Maw Productions
Commando Nukem is offline  
Old 08-31-2010, 12:08 AM   #68
Oveneise

Oveneise's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando Nukem View Post
I mostly enjoyed Doom 3, but there were a few sections that just didnt need to be there, contributed nothing, and just padded the games length out. Thats no reason for parts of a game to be there.
I see your point. However, I just loved the immersion the game had! The environments may have been repetitive, but I just enjoyed myself all the way through. Playing through Resurrection of Evil now
__________________
Take his BED.
Oveneise is offline  
Old 08-31-2010, 05:25 AM   #69
Jeager1999

Jeager1999's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oveneise View Post
I'm thinking about the same as Half-Life 2's, around 24 hours. I imagine it will have a lot of replay value, due to the interactivity and the possibility of unlockables.
It didn't take me that long to beat it, even the two episodes. Then again you should take into account how long it would take the Player to complete the campaign.

I'm sure the game(if True about gear box) will have a lot of side mission or fun things you can do or funny moments stuff like that.
Jeager1999 is offline  
Old 08-31-2010, 08:41 AM   #70
Dark Rabbit
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando Nukem View Post
Get the lead out and kick some ass. No bullshit, no bubblegum. I mean, doesn't aliens stealing our chicks piss you off? Isn't that enough to get your blood pumping, adrenaline flowing, and your testosterone surging?
That would be true, if I was a dude. I'm a chick

But it is fun to kick alien butt, and I won't deny it.
I just hope there is enough story to pad out the game a bit, rather then a blink-and-you'll-miss-it gameplay. The story gives Duke a bunch of places to go and a mission to do. I certainly wouldn't want emo!Duke or see *shudders* an insipid love story. What I would want to see is Duke visiting military bases and blowing crap up. But he has to have a reason to do so, or it just looks like he's visiting random places and killing random aliens.
Dark Rabbit is offline  
Old 08-31-2010, 09:19 AM   #71
Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
they are going to divide DNF into 4 short Episodes.
__________________
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int main()
{ cout << " my mum says im cool... "; return 13; }
Betelgeuse is offline  
Old 08-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #72
ferran275

ferran275's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rabbit View Post
That would be true, if I was a dude. I'm a chick
here is my range of emotions after reading this line:



that is all
ferran275 is offline  
Old 08-31-2010, 09:45 AM   #73
asic

asic's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinX View Post
I think half life 1 was the best FPS single player experience... I loved the pacing and setting more than its sequel...
I agree it was truly a great experience. HL2 was great but a lot of times it just didnt feel right, the combine, the city and the whole Alyx thing did not fit into the atmosphere the first game had. It was a fun game but it felt like the setting and story were missing what I loved about the first game. I remember constantly thinking about black mesa, the soldiers and how that would haunt me in the game, but it never did
asic is offline  
Old 08-31-2010, 11:03 AM   #74
SplatterHappy

SplatterHappy's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rabbit View Post
That would be true, if I was a dude. I'm a chick
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferran275 View Post
here is my range of emotions after reading this line:

S T A L K E R <--- Translation ;P (it was too easy, couldn't resist)

On topic, if DNF's campaign is anywhere close to being the length of DN3D (the original 3 episodes alone) then I'll be happy.

Also, I too felt HL1's setting, mood, gameplay, etc. was more fun than HL2. HL2 left me feeling flat (improved graphics /= better game).
__________________
"They say everyone gets their 15 minutes of fame. What they don't tell you is that 12 of those minutes are a rectal exam."
- John Oliver - "The Daily Show"
SplatterHappy is offline  
Old 08-31-2010, 02:15 PM   #75
ZuljinRaynor

ZuljinRaynor's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
How does Half-Life 2 take 17 hours... let alone 24 hours. O_o
__________________
My vision is augmented.
ZuljinRaynor is offline  
Old 08-31-2010, 03:00 PM   #76
Oveneise

Oveneise's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
How does Half-Life 2 take 17 hours... let alone 24 hours. O_o
This has already been discussed.
__________________
Take his BED.
Oveneise is offline  
Old 08-31-2010, 06:08 PM   #77
prophecy holder

prophecy holder's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
How does Half-Life 2 take 17 hours... let alone 24 hours. O_o
Probably people who want to take in the scenery, replay a certain part.

I remember one part where I just had to stop and enjoy the sunset after defeating the hunter helicopter.
__________________
"Ever since I was a little boy, dressing up has always been...my greatest joy. But when It's time to be discreet, there is one thing you just can't beat and that's a strapless backless classical little black dress"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e4BCOrLmJ0
prophecy holder is offline  
Old 08-31-2010, 06:10 PM   #78
ferran275

ferran275's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophecy holder View Post
Probably people who want to take in the scenery, replay a certain part.

I remember one part where I just had to stop and enjoy the sunset after defeating the hunter helicopter.
try to get through each area without getting shot once (I do that )
ferran275 is offline  
Old 08-31-2010, 06:20 PM   #79
ZuljinRaynor

ZuljinRaynor's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Still, you have to take like 2 hours to beat every map.
__________________
My vision is augmented.
ZuljinRaynor is offline  
Old 08-31-2010, 06:23 PM   #80
prophecy holder

prophecy holder's Avatar
Re: How long do you think DNF's campaign will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
Still, you have to take like 2 hours to beat every map.
Every gamer plays at a different pace, some like to zergling rush while others want to go at a snails pace.
__________________
"Ever since I was a little boy, dressing up has always been...my greatest joy. But when It's time to be discreet, there is one thing you just can't beat and that's a strapless backless classical little black dress"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e4BCOrLmJ0
prophecy holder is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Tags
campaign, longetivety

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:22 PM.

Page generated in 0.22153997 seconds (100.00% PHP - 0% MySQL) with 17 queries

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Website is 1987-2014 Apogee Software, Ltd.
Ideas and messages posted here become property of Apogee Software Ltd.