Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-12-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
8IronBob

Small Form Factor/Shuttle/MicroATX
I find these types of PCs very interesting to say the least. I'm wondering how you can fit a high-end gaming set and cram it into one of these "cube" cases? To me these seem impossible to build in (not to say that I am). I'm glad I went with a good-sized case myself, and whatever else, but there's a part of me that wanted to build in small quarters. Anyone ever build one of these mini-powerhouses? Are they easier to build than I think it would be, let alone the average PCs like we've all done?
Old 12-12-2007, 11:37 AM   #2

Re: Small Form Factor/Shuttle/MicroATX
Nothing is impossible, they already have high end laptops. If you ignore the fact that they eat batteries like there is no tomorrow, they are VERY small.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
8IronBob

Just so you know, these were the cases in question:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811144111

Seems like a G33 mobo would be where it's at currently, just need to wait to see what Nehalems will use, if there'll even be any MicroATX support by then.
However, an average ATX mid-tower and P35 is good enough for now that I built around, but after seeing this, I'm thinking that my next build in another couple of years may "shrink" down.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
Zero

^^ thats very possible, it might be a very tight fit but you can do it.. the only problem I see here is air flow restriction, heat bundled with more heat is hard to disappate the smaller the area and the more heat the harder it's going to be to move the air around to the point where it cools down. And water cooling is out of the question, unless you willing to mount everything externally.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
Phait

I always wanted to build one of these myself but I'm afraid for gaming it wouldn't be the wisest choice. I will probably do something even smaller for a media center (or just buy a Mac Mini).

"but I promise you this, I'll always look out for you, that's what I do" -Coldplay
Old 12-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
8IronBob

Right on that account. Originally I was thinking of how these would do for gaming, but for a gaming rig, a server chassis case would probably be about the only thing to allow for airflow anymore. I mean, I do remember Alienware doing this, as well as Shuttle themselves, but this day in age, I'm just thinking that a PC that small just ain't gonna cut it with the types of components that are on the market...
Old 12-14-2007, 11:04 PM   #7
Nessus

Can those cases accommodate a full size power supply? A lot of my work computers have those half size power supplies and I think almost every single one of them has burned out, and that's with no video card or extra drives or anything.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:15 AM   #8
Superczar

Thumbs down Re: Small Form Factor/Shuttle/MicroATX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
Can those cases accommodate a full size power supply? A lot of my work computers have those half size power supplies and I think almost every single one of them has burned out, and that's with no video card or extra drives or anything.
Yeah, the half-sized PSU's tend to burn up quickly - small fan, cramped space, poor ventilation in and out of the case of the PSU itself not to mention the computer case; they're junk, and the ones we get aren't cheap - ~$80. And unlike regular computers, our machines are subjected to high amounts of cigarette smoke, kitchen grease, dirt from outside (a barroom environment) - a bad recipe for sure...
Old 12-15-2007, 02:28 AM   #9
Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superczar View Post
Yeah, the half-sized PSU's tend to burn up quickly - small fan, cramped space, poor ventilation in and out of the case of the PSU itself not to mention the computer case; they're junk, and the ones we get aren't cheap - ~$80. And unlike regular computers, our machines are subjected to high amounts of cigarette smoke, kitchen grease, dirt from outside (a barroom environment) - a bad recipe for sure...
Well what you can do is take appart the PSU and use non-stock fans and use filters that would fix that problem.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:13 AM   #10
Superczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Well what you can do is take appart the PSU and use non-stock fans and use filters that would fix that problem.
Not much of a better option though - the filter would clog pretty quick and we aren't there to clean it every couple of days, or even once a week in most locations... the PSU's are just poor designs period, there is virtually no room in them for air flow anyway...
Old 12-15-2007, 11:09 PM   #11
Nessus

I replaced all the burnt out ones with full size power supplies and just shoved the CDROM forward a little. So now it sticks out like an inch and half in the front but at least they work well now.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:39 AM   #12
Oasiz
I built a on a barebone shuttle for my parents. It's very easy to assemble and even the wires are there just waiting for the devices. Only had to install mem, cpu, dvd grill, video and hdd. The cooling for the cpu was quite good expect that the back case fans were small and noisy (they run in 40% now). The fan settings allow a quite nice 0 .. 100% for cpu and case fans. the North bridge is poorly cooled and gets VERY hot.
The case in question is pretty close to this one: A horrible link in finnish.
In overall, I`d recommend a shuttle. Barebones are so easy to assemble and look cool !