Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Programming Forum > UnrealED Help
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-05-2003, 12:36 AM   #1
Co11
2d editor?
what's with the 2d editor... it seems to me that i can create a custom shape subtracted from whatever I create in the 2d editor.. but I can't figure out how to get it into unrealED.. anybody know?

also, if I want to delete a room, but not my entire map.. what's the key combo for that?

how do I create animated skyboxes? (ok, I know this is done by meshes somehow, but how do I code them to move?)
Old 11-05-2003, 12:10 PM   #2
NutWrench

Re: 2d editor?
what's with the 2d editor... it seems to me that i can create a custom shape subtracted from whatever I create in the 2d editor.. but I can't figure out how to get it into unrealED.. anybody know?

After you finish making the brush in the 2D editor, just hit Extrude or Revolve and the shape will be copied to the red Build brush. You can add the Build brush as well as subtract it.

also, if I want to delete a room, but not my entire map.. what's the key combo for that?

Highlight the subtract brush that defines the room in either the Top/Front/Side view or in the 3D wireframe view. Hit the Delete key and Rebuild. Depending on which editor you're using, there's an additional button that lets you select everything inside the subtract brush, as well.

how do I create animated skyboxes? (ok, I know this is done by meshes somehow, but how do I code them to move?)

I'm guessing you're talking about skies with layers that scroll. In the SkyZoneInfo, under lighting, there's a section called TexUPan and TexVPan. These values control how fast the texture on the roof of the SkyBox moves and in which direction. You can use masked sheet brushes to add cloud layers and if you add a ZoneInfo below each layer, you can make each cloud layer scroll in a different direction.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 11-05-2003, 09:07 PM   #3
Co11
so, you're saying that you can have multiple zone infos? WICKED AWESOME!
Old 11-06-2003, 07:59 AM   #4
NutWrench

Yes,

Just remember that the SkyZone actor represents the origin point from where you see the skybox, so you should place it below the other layers and use regular ZoneInfos for the upper layers. (Unless you're building some kind of SkyTown and you want to see a cloud layer below you)

Check out Dark Arena in Unreal 1. That level has at least 2 scrolling cloud layers. You'll need to edit the ZoneLight section of the ZoneInfo's property sheet to make the layers move in different directions and speeds.

P.S. Make sure your sheet brushes are big enough to overlap the edges of the SkyBox or they won't create seperate zones when you rebuild.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 11-06-2003, 10:15 PM   #5
Co11
Nutrench you're awesome... but I'm having trouble finding the difference between skyzone and zoneinfo..

>> P.S. Make sure your sheet brushes are big enough to overlap the edges of the SkyBox or they won't create seperate zones when you rebuild.

I should make this a giant skybox? or do I want to make a sky sphere? (basically this map is going to be a castle at night with a red rolling sky)...

could the extra rolling cloud effect be done when using a skysphere?
Old 11-07-2003, 08:04 AM   #6
NutWrench

>I'm having trouble finding the difference between skyzone and zoneinfo..

The SkyZoneInfo is subclassed under ZoneInfo. The complete path is Info-->ZoneInfo-->SkyZoneInfo. Items in a subclass inherit the properties of their parent class.

For example, a LavaZoneInfo is just a regular ZoneInfo that has had its settings tweaked to: inflict damage, yet has the physics of a waterzone, has a unique type of lighting (reddish-orange with distancefog), play certain sound effects when you enter and exit it and report a specific kind of text when you die in it ("<player> was incinerated").

You COULD add an ordinary ZoneInfo to an underwater area in your map and fiddle with its settings until it acted just like a LavaZoneInfo. In other words, the LavaZoneInfo is a pre-set that lets you avoid having to fiddle with all the ZoneInfo settings.

I should make this a giant skybox? or do I want to make a sky sphere? (basically this map is going to be a castle at night with a red rolling sky)...

could the extra rolling cloud effect be done when using a skysphere?

If the SkyBox walls are showing up in the game, there are several things you can do to fix this.

1) Reduce the radius of the lights in the SkyBox so the light doesn't reach the walls.

2) Add 4 masked vertical sheet brushes in a box around your SkyZoneInfo (mountains, for example) that prevent you from seeing the walls. This is the technique used most often in Unreal 1.

3) Move the SkyZoneInfo up closer to the ceiling of the SkyBox (or the first cloud layer). This changes the point-of-view from where you see the the SkyBox. (The ceiling will be closer to you, and you'll see less of the walls).

4) You can actually contruct walls, buildings and/or terrain in a SkyBox. I've seen a few maps that do this and it doesn't seem to affect framerate that much.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:23 AM   #7
Co11
cool... all very cool stuff...

one more thing.. how do I create a building that I can walk into...

when I build a room, it's textured on the inside... but how can I make a transition from outside to inside all within some sort of terrain?
Old 11-08-2003, 09:13 AM   #8
Co11
nevermind, I think I figured that out...

in a giant room (an outdoor terrain area) I add a room the size I want my building exterior to be... then make my brush a little smaller and subtract that, then resize my brush to the size I want my door, and hit intersect to make sure the brush isn't going to mess things up and hit subtract again... voila, I have a neat little door in which I can walk into...

the trouble is, when I look at the proffessional maps, I see a thing that says "portal" in the properties selected... I know what an antiportal is... but that does that portal thing indicate? more level optimization?
Old 11-08-2003, 05:51 PM   #9
NutWrench

A portal defines the boundary between one area of the map and another. Zone portals can be added to a level by a mapper to break up the map into individual areas for the renderer to consider seperately. This can greatly increase your maps framerate if you can avoid rendering map areas that you can't see anyway.

The best place to put a zone portal is in a doorway or a connecting spot between two large areas. Suppose you have two rooms, A and B, connected by a short coridoor. You can break up these two areas by putting a vertical sheet brush in the coridoor and Special Adding it as a Zone portal. Rebuild. When you view your map in the Zone Portal view mode, you'll notice that each room now has a seperate color.

If the map is unzoned, the renderer will render both rooms, regardless, of whether or not the player can see into both of them. So, if the player is standing at the far end of room A, away from the coridoor, the renderer will still completely draw room B, even though the player can't see anything in it. This can waste a lot of time (and lower your framerate) if room B (and beyond) contains a lot of complex geometry.

With a Zone portal in the coridoor: if the player can't see the zone portal, then the renderer will completely skip rendering the room B and its contents beyond that portal. This can dramatically speed up rendering on levels with lots of rooms.

Zone portals work best in indoor areas where the structural brushes already limit much of what you can see. Antiportals work better in outdoor areas.

The Zone Portal view is also handy for finding "leaks" between zones. For example, if you add water to a map, sometimes you'll find when you start the map that the entire map is acting like a water zone! This means you have a leak somewhere. By examining the map in the Zone Portal view, you can see how far each zone extends and whether or not your Zone Portals are properly placed.

P.S. You need to rebuild each time you add a Zone Portal. You can have up to 64 Zones per map. (There might be more in UT2K3, I'm not sure). If you add more than 64, the editor will automatically merge the extra zones together. You really don't need more than 10-12 Zones in a regular sized map, IMHO.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:34 PM   #10
Co11
ok, nutwrench.. you've succsessfully converted me from the max payne editor to the ut editor!

I now understand the differences and similarities between the two editors.... I like 'em both, but this terrain tool just rocks

thanks again!
Old 11-18-2003, 12:44 AM   #11
Night Hacker

If you're seeing the walls of your skybox, namely, you can see where the corners are, you could select all the walls, cieling etc.. and select the surface properties for them and set BRIGHT CORNERS so that no shadows are rendered in the corners, this will usually hide the corners fairly well.

Oh, also, to hide the walls so you see nothing but sky, I have created a very wide and long skybox that isn't very high. I made it large enough so that you simply couldn't see the walls, especially if you do the colours right and bright corners of course.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:02 PM   #12
Co11
wow, this is all really helpful... I currently have a static mesh style skybox which works great right now.. but how is it possible to make the rolling clouds? make a plane inside the skyball, but add another skyzone to make it move?

then I make the plane that holds the clouds bigger than the ball in order to make another zone.. correct?