Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Programming Forum > UnrealED Help
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-29-2004, 10:37 AM   #1
jimbob

projectors and other misc specials help
i got a few more questions,

1, how can i shrink the projectors so they arent huge. now they have a projecting box bigger than a standard room. or does anyone have a link to a good tutorial site

2, emitters. how do they work. i.e what are the lines i need to edit again, tutorial is welcome

3 movers, i have a good tutorial, but it doesnt ( or hardly ) cover unreal tournament 2k3 so i`d like some help or a tutorial.

thanks in advance
Old 01-29-2004, 02:53 PM   #2
Co11
Re: projectors and other misc specials help
UDN Projectors this will get you everything you need to know on projectors...

Udn Emitters This will teach you everything you need to know about emitters

now, for movers...
1. select a static mesh in the editor
2. on the tool bar on the left there's an icon with a square and arrows are pointing away from it, it's the movers button... (left column, second from the bottom)
3. click that button and the static mesh should appear in purple. The purple indicates a moving static mesh
4. make sure the mesh is where you want to start the movement. (if it's an elevator, place it at floor one) and then right click on the static mesh and a new menu will become available (mover menu option) .
5. in the mover menu you should see key 0 : key 1 key 2 key 3 and so on.
6. select key 1
7. move the static mesh
8. go back to the mover menu and select key 0

voila! that's it... all you do is in the level you want to walk on the elevator and it'll activate it automatically taking you up to the second floor or where ever you placed the second location for the static mesh.

that's it
Old 01-29-2004, 03:10 PM   #3
jimbob

brilliant, thanks a lot
Old 01-29-2004, 09:32 PM   #4
Co11
no problem... I'm trying to remember how i learned to do movers... I think it was a vtm at 3dbuzz.com that's a great site for visually learning unrealEd -- they're videos with narration
Old 01-29-2004, 10:18 PM   #5
NutWrench

Re: projectors and other misc specials h
Are there any Ut2K3 tutorials that are download-able?
I could spend a year just figuring out all the possibilities of Emitters.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 01-29-2004, 10:58 PM   #6
SpaceCow
3DBuzz maybe... dunno how in depth they are though.

And yeah, aren't emitters just the coolest thing since sliced bread? So versatile! And they look so great.

Please... put the cake in my darkside...
Old 01-31-2004, 09:50 AM   #7
jimbob

another question, regarding raggdol

it it possible to make a pit with spikes and have the character sliding down the spikes as if he`s penetrated by them and haning in them. or atleast stop him from bouncing around then entering the spike zone? i dont care if its faked or real, aslong as it looks good

[edit] here`s a shot to give you an idea of what im talking about

one more thing, is it possible to have a moving sector of death? or a mover that kills you opon touching it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 464260-pit.jpg (96.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-31-2004, 10:27 AM   #8
NutWrench

Maybe you could layer another Zone at the bottom of the pit, and change the gravity acceleration so that it's about 1/10th of the layer above it. That way, as soon as the player hits the spike zone, he'll start falling a lot more slowly and it will look like he's being slowly impaled.
(You may have to change the properties of the spikes so that they are non-solid. That way they will pass through the player. You'll still need to make the Spike Zone a major damage zone, otherwise a Player might actually survive the fall)

On the killer Movers thing. I don't know if this is in UT2K3, but in UT, there's an option in a Movers property sheet that lets you set things when the player touches it, like 'Return when encroach' 'Ignore when encroach' and 'Crush when encroach'
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 01-31-2004, 10:51 AM   #9
jimbob

thanks, i`ll try that stuff. and the spikes are already non solid, so right now the player bounces through the spikes making it look unrealistic. but i`ll try the gravity thing.

erm... where can i change the gravity settings, cant find it anywhere in the zone info thing
Old 01-31-2004, 12:51 PM   #10
NutWrench

I learned something new today!

Looks like they changed it around in UT2K3. Gravity/Acceleration settings used to be located in the ZoneInfo, now they use something called a PhysicsVolume. It's a special brush type located on the UnrealEd toolbar, down at the very bottom. It creates an invisible Zone, where you can change the physics of whatever is contained within the brush. After you've added the PhysicsVolume, you can click on it and set stuff like gravity, acceleration, ground friction, etc.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:55 PM   #11
jimbob

Quote:
I learned something new today!

Looks like they changed it around in UT2K3. Gravity/Acceleration settings used to be located in the ZoneInfo, now they use something called a PhysicsVolume. It's a special brush type located on the UnrealEd toolbar, down at the very bottom. It creates an invisible Zone, where you can change the physics of whatever is contained within the brush. After you've added the PhysicsVolume, you can click on it and set stuff like gravity, acceleration, ground friction, etc.
no wonder i couldnt find it, thanks a lot
Old 02-01-2004, 08:34 PM   #12
Co11
it's still in the properties under mover...