Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Non 3DR Game Discussion
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-24-2009, 06:20 PM   #401
Kristian Joensen

Re: Doom 4 Thread Part 2
Well I wouldn't worry to much about it. They are a really big company, they will see an increase in the number of people departing. Michael Dickheiser is not the only one, by doing some linkedin.com research I noticed that two of the artists recently left, Paul Pepera(after like 6 months, his longest job in the industry was little over a year) and Josh Powers.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:56 AM   #402
Nihilanth

As for the article, I guess this means nothing. Michael had this note about working on the best FPS game ever made since he was hired. Obviously nobody would wrote that he/she is working on some mediocre game.

Thanks KJ for additional info. I have actually checked all Linkedin profiles I know and found out that Paul Pepera is gone, too, but I've overlooked Josh (probably because his site still states that he's working on DOOM). Hopefully they've all left some decent stuff there.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:12 AM   #403
Tyler23

Quote:
Obviously nobody would wrote that he/she is working on some mediocre game
True!

It will be hard to count the days till Quakecon 2010

They are so secrecy about the game i ask me which gameplay innovations they possibly implement.

I remember a qoute from Todd Hollenshead when they announced the game in 2008. He said that they want to make a classic Doom game but the team want to innovate with it too.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2008/08/nex...2/#more-300076
Old 10-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #404
Nihilanth

One thing that probably means nothing but is a little bugger is the fact that such an article (and at least another similiar in English) even appeared. At the end of the day rumours like this will be misinterpreted, somebody may step up and say "Oh, id said it's gonna be the best FPS ever" and complain when the game comes out. In this case it will most likely just get buried... but this is how many "facts" about big games are misinterpreted, and meaningless comments that aren't even the official comments from id, may end up as "promises" in the eyes of certain people. Lots of bullshit about DOOM 3, stalker and many other games was created the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler23 View Post
It will be hard to count the days till Quakecon 2010
Well, I'll surely count every day, as soon as they announce the exact date for QC2010, haha.

Quote:
They are so secrecy about the game i ask me which gameplay innovations they possibly implement.

I remember a qoute from Todd Hollenshead when they announced the game in 2008. He said that they want to make a classic Doom game but the team want to innovate with it too.
I'm trying not to imagine how the game plays or what are the exact features, because it indirectly rises the expectations. Gonna wait until we see the actual game.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #405
Tyler23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilanth View Post
I'm trying not to imagine how the game plays or what are the exact features, because it indirectly rises the expectations. Gonna wait until we see the actual game.
Yes, maybe thats the best way to not get disappointed when the game comes out. But trying not to imagine how the game will play or how it will look is for me the same as just not to think about the game.
And this is hard for a die-hard Doom fan
Old 10-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #406
NutWrench

I'm hoping to see some old Doom weapons make a comeback, like the Doom Rickroller.
On second thought, that might be too cruel.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 10-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #407
Tyler23

Is there a video available from the Quakecon 2008 press conference where Todd announced Doom4?
Old 10-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #408
Nihilanth

There's Carmacks keynote on YouTube but I wasn't able to find any sort of footage from DOOM announcement. Only this pic:

Old 10-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #409
Tyler23

That's weird. There are videos from every press conference from the last years besides from 2008.
I have also found nothing.
I want to hear and see the announcement
Thank's anyway....
Old 10-27-2009, 05:56 AM   #410
Tyler23

http://twitpic.com/n1r30

Happy Halloween guys.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:41 AM   #411
Tyler23

This is off topic but sad for every Doom fan.
Don Ivan Punchatz the man who created the legendary Doom logo and the Doom cover art died on October 22 at the age of 73.
Rest in peace....

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/27/ar...7punchatz.html
Old 10-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #412
Mr Bear

Awww, that's very unfortunate to hear....

But I had to lol at this:

Quote:
Mr. Punchatz was never good at the business side of illustration. In the early days of video games he was hired to create the packaging for a new game, and when offered a flat fee or a percentage of the game’s profits, he opted for the fee. The game, Doom, became a runaway best seller. “So how was I to know this thing called Doom would make a jillion smackers?” he later recalled.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:11 PM   #413
Nihilanth

Rest in peace Don. Thanks for the greatest logo ever conceived...

Team Update
VETERANS DISCOVERED

Tom Lassanske | Technology Support Manager / Programmer (Linkedin profile)
At id since June 2007 he's mainly a tech guy but his responsibilities include programming for DOOM (and RAGE). I don't have any data on his previous titles (if any) but in the past he worked in Havok and AGEIA.

Brian Harris | Programmer (Linkedin profile)
At id since February 2004 he previously worked on "save/load and UI systems for Doom 3, Networking for Quake 4, Xbox 360 port of Quake 2, AI navigation system for Enemy Territory Quake Wars". An important note is that I can't really confirm if he is working on DOOM. As you can see in the quote below he mentions both DOOM and RAGE but more in the context of the engine itself, so that would be indirect association with the DOOM Team, I think.

"a bunch of engine code for idTech5 (Rage/Doom4) including:
- Xbox 360 and PS3 ports of the engine
- Converting the renderer to HLSL/Cg
- SWF interpreter/player/renderer
- Automagic save/load system
- Cross platform sound system
- Vehicle physics
- Some editor work"
Old 10-29-2009, 11:13 PM   #414
john_doe2
A blog at gameguru.in that was titled Halo: Reach Moving Towards a Militaristic Theme? strangely had some slight mentions of Doom 4. It basically just said that Doom 4, telling by those who worked or who are currently working on Doom 4(specifically Paul Pepera and Michael Dickheiser), is also probably moving towards a militaristic theme.

Anyway, here's the link to the blog:

http://www.gameguru.in/first-person-...aristic-theme/
Old 10-30-2009, 02:44 AM   #415
DerricktheW

I still can't quite figure out how exactly the storyline or even story in general is going to go.

Doom was about the invasion on Mars
Doom 2 was that same marine going to Earth only to find it too has just been invaded
Doom 3 was a reimagining of Doom
Next Doom is... not a reimagining, but not a sequel to Doom 3...

I'm not even sure what it would be then. If its not one or the other...?
Old 10-30-2009, 04:07 AM   #416
Tyler23

...and not a prequel either. It's a little bit different than those Todd Hollenshead said:-)
I don't know.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:34 AM   #417
Rapture_Rising

Maybe the next Doom will have a truly original storyline but still keep Demons, Hell and the UAC elements we all love.

All i want is it to be the best damn doom game i have ever played.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #418
Nihilanth

Actually that blog post means nothing just like the previous about Micheal Dickheiser. With Micheal they have "assumed" it's gonna be the best game ever made, now they assume that DOOM will have "militaristic theme" based on nothing more than Pepera's portfolio that includes a shitload of stuff, none of which is tagged as DOOM. Pure speculation.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #419
Danule

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_doe2 View Post
A blog at gameguru.in that was titled Halo: Reach Moving Towards a Militaristic Theme? strangely had some slight mentions of Doom 4. It basically just said that Doom 4, telling by those who worked or who are currently working on Doom 4(specifically Paul Pepera and Michael Dickheiser), is also probably moving towards a militaristic theme.

Anyway, here's the link to the blog:

http://www.gameguru.in/first-person-...aristic-theme/
i hope its not going to be some call of duity rip off now.. fak.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #420
Kristian Joensen

That is some really twisted logic. Michael Dickheiser worked on tech for the military, therefore Doom 4 will have a military theme? That is extremely stupid. Will it also be a fantasy game because their Cinematic Art Director worked on the The Chronicles Of Narnia? Will it also be a superhero/comic MMO because their Lead Environment Artist worked on DC Universe Online? Will it be a strategy game because Senior Character Artist Brett Briley worked on both AOE3 and Halo Wars? I could of course go on and on, but I think I made my point.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #421
Feared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
That is some really twisted logic. Michael Dickheiser worked on tech for the military, therefore Doom 4 will have a military theme? That is extremely stupid. Will it also be a fantasy game because their Cinematic Art Director worked on the The Chronicles Of Narnia? Will it also be a superhero/comic MMO because their Lead Environment Artist worked on DC Universe Online? Will it be a strategy game because Senior Character Artist Brett Briley worked on both AOE3 and Halo Wars? I could of course go on and on, but I think I made my point.
No, can you please go on?
Personally I always liked the style Halo had.

Big, simple, fun, halo!
Old 11-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #422
Phayzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feared View Post
big, simple, fun, halo!
For some reason, a lot of people dont like that
Old 11-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #423
Nihilanth

Team Update
PROMOTIONS / CHANGES

John Dean | Senior AI Programmer (Linkedin profile)
He was a Lead AI Programmer.

Due to DOOM Classic coming out on iPhone, John Carmack wrote an entry about its development. Cool stuff as always. There's also a little mention of the new DOOM:

In an odd little bit of serendipity, after re-immersing myself in the original Doom for the iPhone, I am now working downstairs at Id with the Doom 4 team. I'm calling my time a 50/50 split between Rage and Doom 4, but the stress doesn't divide.

That's pretty cool. As far as we know, JC was pretty much hands-off of DOOM development for the most part, he was mainly spending his time working with the RAGE team. It's nice he's giving some love to DOOM even before RAGE' release.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #424
Kristian Joensen

I don't know if this is Doom 4 related, but id has hired a new Art Director, Jeremy Cook, his website is here. I saw this on his linkedin.com profile, but it was not the public version so I don't know if the link will work but it is here.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #425
Nihilanth

Yeah, no indications that it's related to DOOM but interesting anyway. I'm not sure how many art directors work on a single project but RAGE has the AD (Stephan Martiniere), DOOM has the AD (Mark Bristol)... What do they need him for? If they want to add another AD to one of their current projects, it would have to be DOOM since RAGE is far after the state where they'd need to work on the art style. They wouldn't assign a guy with such a reputation to a small project. A completely new big project maybe? But that would be too early, the third team that currently exists as the QuakeLive team is either working on QL or MP for RAGE and DOOM.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:49 PM   #426
Kristian Joensen

Well I was surprised when Mark Bristol added the title "Art Director" to his linkedin.com profile, since he was originally hired as a Cinematic Art Director and that is more of his background. Maybe Stephan left or something? or he is the actual Art Director for Doom, while Mark Bristol just had that title temporarily until they hired a permanent one?
Old 11-05-2009, 02:32 AM   #427
Tyler23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilanth View Post

Due to DOOM Classic coming out on iPhone, John Carmack wrote an entry about its development. Cool stuff as always. There's also a little mention of the new DOOM:

In an odd little bit of serendipity, after re-immersing myself in the original Doom for the iPhone, I am now working downstairs at Id with the Doom 4 team. I'm calling my time a 50/50 split between Rage and Doom 4, but the stress doesn't divide.

That's pretty cool. As far as we know, JC was pretty much hands-off of DOOM development for the most part, he was mainly spending his time working with the RAGE team. It's nice he's giving some love to DOOM even before RAGE' release.
The MAN himself is working on DooM. NICE.
I'm curious what he will add to the game.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #428
Nihilanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
Well I was surprised when Mark Bristol added the title "Art Director" to his linkedin.com profile, since he was originally hired as a Cinematic Art Director and that is more of his background. Maybe Stephan left or something? or he is the actual Art Director for Doom, while Mark Bristol just had that title temporarily until they hired a permanent one?
That's possible. I'm sure Mark Bristol would change his title to Cinematic AD or something else if Jeremy Cook replaced him though. But we'll have to wait. He certainly worked on some big movies, would be interesting if he was associated with DOOM.

Quote:
That's funny actually because I was recently thinking about that. You know, during his keynote speech JC sounded like he's a little out of the loop about DOOM. I'm sure it's not like he had no idea what was going on but you get the point. So I was recently thinking about such a situation, what if he just went down to the DOOM Room and found that the team is making some significant mistakes here and there? It would be sort of a wake-up call for them in such a situation. Of course I'm not talking about completely flawed game design but, you know, some picky stuff that JC has been working on, reworking, changing in RAGE but didn't have an opportunity to look into on DOOM. So the bottom line is I'm glad he's spending so much more time down there right now.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #429
Mr Bear

Quote:
The new question we must ask ourselves is, "What Will John Carmack Do?"

Old 11-05-2009, 11:09 PM   #430
MegaMustaine

Not really a big deal to me as John Carmack is just a technical guy. To be honest, ID lost its real edge when Romero left. He was responsible for the hellish and fantasy aspects I liked about Doom, Doom II and the original Quake. Since then ID has mainly produced more Sci Fi type games. They have been quality products, but haven't captured the atmosphere of their original titles. It will be interesting to see what Doom 4 becomes. I bet it is a great game that is fun to play, but it won't capture the atmosphere that the original had. Here's to hoping though.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:19 PM   #431
ZuljinRaynor

John Romero isn't god. He left id to make one of the biggest stinkers ever. It was a team effort. Romero alone doesn't make id better or worse. Sure they lost something but Daikatana is proof that he wasn't as important as many say.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:56 PM   #432
MegaMustaine

I didn't say John Romero is a God, nor did I say he has made anything good since. What I am saying is that ID lost their medieval fantasy and demon type atmosphere that was present in the original Doom games as well as the original Quake when he left.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #433
Tyler23

Sure! John Romero is god
No, just kidding. Seriously i am a big fan of him. With John Romero they lost the creative heart of id! With him in the company It would not have lasted 13 years to bring up a new ip. Don't get me wrong, i am not satisfied with RAGE. The more i see and know about it, the less i'm interessted in it. But....

....John Romero back at id would be a dream come true!!!
Old 11-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #434
Opus131

Quote:
With Tom Hall/Sandy Petersen they lost the creative heart of id!
Fixed.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #435
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I'd say Romero was probably at his best at id. Had the best team around him.
The biggest problem with Daikatana, John isn't a leader.... he's not the guy that should be completely in charge of the project.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 11-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #436
Destructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
I'd say Romero was probably at his best at id. Had the best team around him.
The biggest problem with Daikatana, John isn't a leader.... he's not the guy that should be completely in charge of the project.
I don't think that's the case. In the studio where he was making Daikatana there was a lot of internal politics going on which ultimately ruined things. If John was just left alone to make the game he wanted to make, like Warren Spector was in the other Ion Storm office, Daikatana would have probably been a higher quality game like Deus Ex was.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #437
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

But... a good project lead would be able to get such shit in order to focus on the current project. John (I love the guy) could not do this.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 11-11-2009, 03:38 PM   #438
Kristian Joensen

I don't know if this is Doom 4 related. But it looks like the newest addition to id Software is a level designer that you guy just may have heard mentioned before, Carl Shedd.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #439
MrAdidaking

TBH, I am quite nervous about what is going to happen with this version of Doom. I know many will disagree with me, however, I did not like Doom 3 at all. It was a really unimaginative reboot of my favorite series. It just didn't FEEL like a Doom game.

I am not really looking forward to this game. I hope it stays true to the series. Overall, I just think that the ID needs to look into new ips. Quake 4 was horrible to me and I loved qauke and quake 2.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #440
Another Duke Fan

You are right, I do disagree with you and for some reason even think that you do not know what you are talking about. Keep on worrying though if you like it this way.