Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #321
ZuljinRaynor

Re: Doom 4 Thread Part 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
Agreed.
A much slower pace, but it was still Doom IMO.
Agree 100%.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #322
Delicieuxz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
Some? More like a ton.

Every game does that. Sometimes just the people who are disappointed or hate a game aren't vocal about it.
Average user score, xbox: 7.3 PC: 7.0
Magazines were much more lenient with this game.

I personally can't say there's anything I'd like to see carried over from Doom 3, as I found the atmosphere to be just about non-existent, full-out visually boring, and I'd categorize the game as cheesy over scary and one of the more chore-like experiences in a box I've had. It also has possibly the worst sound design I've ever heard in a major release. All sound effects are over-compressed to the extreme, and sound choices are illogical - such as the pistol sounding like a squishy mucous gun, the shotgun sounding like a workshop staplegun, and the gattling having no power to its sound at all. I also give Doom 3 the "Worst footsteps sound in a game ever" award.
Anticipating: GTA V, The Banner Saga, Wasteland 2, Assassin's Creed III, Overgrowth, Star Wars: 1313, Double Fine Adventure, Grim Dawn, Guild Wars 2, Doom 4, MechWarrior Online, Hawken, Far Cry 3, Dishonored, Xenonauts, Baldur's Gate EE
Old 07-29-2009, 01:28 PM   #323
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicieuxz View Post
Average user score, xbox: 7.3 PC: 7.0
Magazines were much more lenient with this game.
The difference is most users will vote 1 or 10 making user scores more useless.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:43 PM   #324
Delicieuxz

If everyone voted either 1 or 10, averaging those scores out would produce an accurately representative score. Doom 3 has a user score of 7 out of an average of 297 votes. Games that are considered great don't seem to have any trouble reflecting that in the user scores, and games that no one enjoys likewise don't seem to be rated oppositely, so I don't see why Doom 3 would be a special exception here.
Anticipating: GTA V, The Banner Saga, Wasteland 2, Assassin's Creed III, Overgrowth, Star Wars: 1313, Double Fine Adventure, Grim Dawn, Guild Wars 2, Doom 4, MechWarrior Online, Hawken, Far Cry 3, Dishonored, Xenonauts, Baldur's Gate EE
Last edited by Delicieuxz; 07-29-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:10 PM   #325
ZuljinRaynor

User scores mean nothing without words backing them up. Cause from the words you can see how much merit their score has.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:12 PM   #326
Steve

I see trouble with this score
Old 07-29-2009, 03:19 PM   #327
john_doe2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicieuxz View Post

It also has possibly the worst sound design I've ever heard in a major release. All sound effects are over-compressed to the extreme, and sound choices are illogical - such as the pistol sounding like a squishy mucous gun, the shotgun sounding like a workshop staplegun, and the gattling having no power to its sound at all. I also give Doom 3 the "Worst footsteps sound in a game ever" award.
Yeah, true. The sounds for the guns sucked, and IMO, that's one of the most important parts of a FPS. If your guns feel weak, then the game is no fun.

I play Doom 3 with the Trent Reznor sound pack added on to it nowadays. It makes the pistol, shotgun, SMG, and the chain gun sound much beefier. The imps, pinkies, and the chain gun commandos sound much more ferocious aswell.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #328
Kien

The pinky roar wasn't too scary, not as the old ones used to scare us with their specific roars. :P But I liked the Doom3 ones roars still abit. Was.. different.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #329
Dunedain

john_doe2: Yes, this is what I mean! When you arrive on the Mars facility, it feels like a real place. Everything is so detailed; the notes, the audio logs, the equipment, the lockers, the UAC ads, the computer monitors, all the cool little sounds and things you'd expect in such a base, etc. It felt like you were in a real military installation on Mars. These are the things I hope they keep in Doom IV. The mood, the atmosphere, the detailed layout of the many rooms and corridors with lots of buttons, levers, switches, various equipment, notes and journals for info. and flavor, etc.

Kien: Bear in mind that military bases, especially serious ones like this place that are built in deadly dangerous environments, aren't exactly known for their cheerful decor. They are built to be functional, not pretty. Also consider that at least part of the reason that the place was so dark was that the base was having severe power problems due to the "incident" in the restricted areas of the base. Under normal conditions, I think we can assume that the base would be better lit.

But you do have a point, there should have been at least some rooms, like the cafeteria, that maybe should have been brightly lit, have some nice plants around and so on. To make it look more like a place where soldiers are living for an extended period of time. You don't want it to look too dank, dark and cold, because surely the Marines would have made some efforts to make it a little more pleasant a place to live for months on end while stationed there.
Last edited by Dunedain; 07-29-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #330
DerricktheW

I don't think anyone really talked about this from what I'm seeing;

But I really hope the game supports co-op, just like the originals did.

Sure, Doom 3 was modded to have co-op, but that still wasn't all too fun since it was such a linear scripted game and started to break once you seperated from the other players.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #331
Kien

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerricktheW View Post
But I really hope the game supports co-op, just like the originals did.

Sure, Doom 3 was modded to have co-op, but that still wasn't all too fun since it was such a linear scripted game and started to break once you seperated from the other players.
Modern FPS does not have co-op even though everyone miss it. Developers are starting to put co-op in RTS games instead without anyone ever asked for it. And I bet those RTS co-op campaigns aren't very different from a comp stomp skrimish game.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #332
ZuljinRaynor

Doom 3 had co-op on Xbox. I hadn't tried it though as you need System Link.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #333
DerricktheW

The xbox coop was actually not all that bad, but it was like they cut out half of the levels and content.

Theres no PDA, no codes to get ammunition, most of the non-shooting gameplay is gone. This sounds good, and for the most part, it is.

But they have, I'd say, 3/4 of the levels from the SP campaign. And then other levels were trimmed down a bit.

Flashlights are still in tact, and its actually dynamic lights (not like L4D).

Though, the game on xbox has problems like the framerate dipping and the physics for player two are all kinds of messed up.

But, it was actually good, run n gun Doom. Sad its not officially for PC though.

Oh, and Super Turkey Turbo Puncher THREEE is two player in coop!
Last edited by DerricktheW; 07-29-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:36 AM   #334
Nihilanth

For those interested, I transcripted the excerpts about DOOM from Carmacks keynote.

John Carmack: I can't say too much about the DOOM project on there because, it is kind of funny that we have the DOOM team on the bottom floor in our office and the RAGE team up on top and they staffed up pretty quickly. DOOM is a great draw, you can attract some of the best people in the industry to come and work on the next DOOM game. That is a power that we had as id to staff this up quickly and efficiently with the best people for all of this. That really worked out well, we've got a great crowd down there but it is what you hear from everybody as a company has gone from 50 to a 100 people, when you start wondering around and think "I've seen you around a few times, I think you work here". Most of the people on the bottom floor, sorry, I wish they'd come up to my office and introduce yourselves sometimes because there is that weird thing about the company that I started on here when we have people walking around, working on the projects for us and we just can't all know each other. And as we grow a little bit more it's gonna get a little bit more of an issue there.

DOOM is an interesting thing for us. I'm not gonna say too much about it because it is Kevins project and Kevin is playing everything really tight to his vest about this, about when he's gonna talk about things. Even before the Zenimax deal the plan was that we're gonna be very quiet, we're gonna go all the way to vertical slice, we're gonna wow everybody with what comes out and not trickle much stuff out. But DOOM is the first time ever in an id Software project... actually that's not true. If you go all the way back to like DOOM 2 where we were able to do a project without doing major technology development on it. But ever since we went from Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, DOOM 3 on here, each of these was fairly arguist development changes how I'd be going in making big changes to the way the game works, the game engine, the code, all this and it would leave the designers in this kind of "wait and see" mode about, well, how much can we have on here, will we be able to do this, will we be able to do that. It was not an efficient way to develop. It let us do some great landmark stuff but you would see people, especially at the beginning of a project where they're doing something, but the designers are really kind of marking time until what they feel all the tools that are neccessary are available. And of course the programmers and the designers buttheads a little bit on this where the designers will be like "Oh, you haven't programmed this stuff so we're not gonna do this" and the programmers are like "We should be working with what we've available". There's always this level of kind of tension between the camps but with DOOM they've at least got something that has the RAGE team, while we're not done, there's still going to be some of those things where it's like "You said this was gonna be in RAGE and we counted on it", we're gonna have to deal with some of those things. But they were able to hit the ground running with fully functional technology with the team that's already using it in media rich applications and it's basically to a greater or lesser degree working. And it can be a design-focused game rather than exploratory technology development on there. And it's an experiment for us where historically we've done our titles... our plan has been: get a bunch of smart, talented people together, say: work really hard, make something cool. And it's pretty much worked out for us over the years. [the vid skips here to a later part, sorry]

(...)

The other thing that we were hoping to do with Quake Live was build a team that eats, breathes and sleeps network gaming. The people that have been working on Quake Live team, that's all they do now. And we wanted to build that up as a resource so that they can be valuable to the other projects as well. We want them to take their experience about supporting a big multiplayer-focused game and see how that's going to impact RAGE multiplayer and DOOM multiplayer. So we have these tough decisions about do we leave all these people here, do we bring a couple of them over and they create something else around them because... the grand development plan is we get those people, they start working with id Tech 5 on RAGE and DOOM and then we slowly grow a third team around them to be whether it's Wolfenstein or Quake or whatever we choose to do next.

(...)

One of the lines that I'm still not sure whether we crossed though is script-heavy versus code-heavy. Because we did go through this with DOOM 3 where DOOM 3 had a lot of things in script that by the end of the project we were like "Oh, this was an awful mistake". You know, lots of AI and animation. And unfortunetely we didn't convey this message well enough to Splash Damage where Splash Damage went off and did a whole bunch more stuff in script and we were like "Oh, we should have told them we figured that was a bad idea by the end of the project" in terms of performance, debug ability, maintain ability and all that. So we really took a big kind of U-turn on RAGE and just said, ok, real programming will be done in C++, game stuff and scripting, you know, start this thing here, blow this thing up over there, you can trigger that in script. And that's serving us well in RAGE, although they're edging back on that on DOOM. They've got a lot more cinematic-heavy stuff, a lot more scripting things going on and they've hired dedicated scripting people so I think they're going back to leveraging that over a little bit more. And it'll be interesting to see whether we converged on a happy medium or if it's just a sinusoid overshooting strategies each time.

An interesting thing to note, seems like they're universally calling it simply DOOM and not DOOM 4. It'd be interesting if they actually just called it DOOM after all.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:45 AM   #335
john_doe2
Cool. Thanks for the transcript. I wish there were more precise details to go off of, but what we've heard is already making me really excited. It sounds like they've got top notch devs on the DOOM team which can only be a good thing. It is also awesome that they don't really have to worry about developing new tech alongside DOOM and can just solely focus on the design of the game. Here's to hoping that this new DOOM will be as legendary and as epic as DOOM 2.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:22 AM   #336
Rapture_Rising

id could of at least give us a single screenshot to hold us over for another year till next years Quakecon, or give us a mock-up using the id tech 5 engine of what we could expect with Doom 4

Ive seen one but it looks like a screenshot from Quake not a doom game.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #337
john_doe2
I think you're talking about that one screenshot with that cyborgish enemy, right? That's a fan made screenshot.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:39 AM   #338
Nihilanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture_Rising View Post
id could of at least give us a single screenshot to hold us over for another year till next years Quakecon
I was a bit disappointed but I consider this a good thing. Like I said in a QuakeCon thread, such a tease would last 5min, then it would only spawn senseless speculation and people would quickly demand more which they wouldn't get and complain about lack of media. Rest assured, when they finally decide to show they game, it won't be just one tiny shot or a short vid.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #339
Tyler23

One Year till quakecon 2010 is a damn damn long time! I didn't expected much but that they not even talked about it is disappointing.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #340
ZuljinRaynor

I thought they said no Doom 4 at this Quakecon a while ago.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #341
Monkey Butler
Have they actually said "no media till Quakecon 2010", or did they just say "there WILL BE media at Quakecone 2010"? Pretty big difference really.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #342
john_doe2
Here's a link to an article that talks about it a little:

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59981

It sounds like they're not going to release any media until Quakecon 2010. They're also going to remain tight lipped about the game for the most part. John Carmack said that the plan is to stay quiet about Doom 4. However, I think that there will be little trickles of information here and there like they've kinda of been doing for the past year. They just won't go real in depth about the game until Quakecon 2010.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:08 AM   #343
Nihilanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
I thought they said no Doom 4 at this Quakecon a while ago.
They never said anything about DOOM media at this years QuakeCon. It was pure speculation.

As for future media, it all depends on variety of factors that we don't know. It depends on the development progress, it depends on the way they want to present it. It may be RAGE-like with more and more information, or staying quiet until the right moment and than BANG! Who knows. It's good that we're actually gonna see a game when the time comes, not a concept of what the game is supposed to be.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:23 AM   #344
Nihilanth

Shacknews posted their interview with Todd Hollenshead. Here are the DOOM snippets:

Shack: Speaking of the next Doom, you said we'll learn more next year?

Todd Hollenshead: I'm certain we'll have a lot more to talk about it next year. I think John basically said it as eloquently as it can be said, which is that it's Kevin Cloud's project. [We] really want him to be able to talk to it--we want to get to our vertical slice before we start really talking about it.

I always feel that when you're talking about something that's new, it's always better to show people, because then you have a point of reference. You can say, "and it's going to look like this" as opposed to trying to describe "it's going to have this, it's going to have that, it's going to be awesome" and then you create, in the minds of a hundred different people, a hundred different pictures above their head. Whereas if you show it to them, everyone has the same picture.

Shack: So no teases about how it's different?

Todd Hollenshead: No. We'll wait to actually have some stuff to show there.

Shack: Internally, are you referring to it as Doom 4? The next Doom?

Todd Hollenshead: All of the above. Seriously, some days we call it Doom 4. Sometimes we call it Doom. Sometimes we call it the new Doom. We haven't settled on a final title yet.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #345
john_doe2
That whole interview was a pretty interesting read. I am excited to hear that all their major titles will now be done internally. I agree with Hollenshed that id is the only one that can do their titles justice.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:36 PM   #346
BloodWolf806

The next Wolfenstein and Quake will be internal id projects.

Good news!
Old 09-22-2009, 02:08 AM   #347
Nihilanth

Team Update

This time it's Jeff Senita, who is both Animator and Animation Producer for DOOM. Previously Teaching Assistant / Motion Capture Lab Manager at The University of Texas at Dallas. He's with id since July 2008 (seems he updated his profile just recently) and the word is:

Animator for Rage and Doom 4. I am responsible for the front end of the motion capture pipeline, which includes operating the Vicon Motion Capture system and cleaning data, as well as editing animation, and other various processes along the way. I also function as Animation Producer for the Animation Department on Doom 4.

I've also found that the DOOM Team is reinforced by Nick Bell (Linkedin profile, official site - check his portfolio with some cool stuff, 3D Artist at id. Previously he was an Environment Artist at Factor 5, Senior Prop Artist at Midway Games and Senior Environment Artist at Edge of Reality and worked on Blacksite: Area 51 and Lair. The word from the official site:

I'm just trying to get some of my personal work up and past work from the projects I've worked on. I'm currently working at Id Software as a 3d Environment Artist on the Doom 4 project. My past jobs have been at Midway Studios Austin, Ege of Reality, and Factor 5 where I was priviledged to work on games such as Blacksite:Area 51 and Lair.

Interview about RAGE. Here are DOOM excerpts:

You couldn’t show DOOM 4 this year, obviously. Any specific reason for that?

Todd: Hollenshead: We just never had anything prepared to show for it. It wasn’t like we were going to, and then decided not to. It’s just that the idea is that we want game development to get far along enough that we have something that we feel is representative of a game that we’re going to make and what the final game is going to be. I can say a lot of things about what the game is intended to be like, but if I say those things without a picture or an image – something to back up that this is what it is – then if there are one hundred people in the room, they’re all going to have one hundred different mental pictures above their heads. So that’s really the reason we’re not talking about it. We want to have something that says, “This is what the game is about and this is what the game is, and here you can see it for yourself.” And we’re just not to that point yet.

So basically, you’re not pulling a Peter Molyneux.

Todd: Hollenshead: [Laughs]. I’d say we’re taking the id approach, which is that we really work to a quality standard, and when the game is fleshed out enough and has the elements that we think demonstrate what the game is about, then we’ll talk about it, and then we’ll show it. Plus, we have a lot of stuff to talk about that’s coming well before the Doom stuff. And it probably makes more sense to talk about it at QuakeCon next year, given that we’ve got Wolfenstein and RAGE. So I think Doom sort of deserves its own spotlight.

(...)

Right now, we’re focused on getting Quake Live to final, finishing the development of RAGE, and then getting Doom to a point where we’re ready to show it off.

Last month one of the journalists working for a Polish gaming magazine CD-Action visited id to gather info for a preview. The door on the left leads to the Devil himself, id Hell where DOOM is being developed. The dude said he was able to get inside (I doubt he saw a game, though) but obviously he had to turn his video camera off and couldn't take any photos. He also said that id is super secretive about the title.

A door to DOOM Room
Old 09-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #348
Tyler23

With other words. We won't see anything till quakecon 2010?
I wonder what they gonna do with the next DOOM. They have often said in the past it will be different. And it will be not a prequel/sequel to DOOM/DOOM2. In which way will it be different? What could they mean? I'm really curious and i love to speculate
Old 09-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #349
NutWrench

I agree about the weapons sounds. The gatling gun sounded like a stapler.

The other thing that really bugged me about Doom 3 is that the AI's took NO advantage of the dark, spooky environment. Their behavior was basically, "see player, let out loud howl or screech and begin attack." You always knew you were under attack before it happened. There should have been a couple of monsters that would stalk the player QUIETLY.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 09-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #350
Kien

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutWrench View Post
There should have been a couple of monsters that would stalk the player QUIETLY.
Like assassins in FEAR?

I think the dududududum! sound of the minigun was nice. But well for a real minigun it should have that higher pitch that they often have.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:01 AM   #351
Tyler23

Let us talk about DOOM4! Not again and again about the same annoying Doom3 stuff.
What we know about DOOM4:
-It will be take place on Earth
-It's about some good guy against demons from hell
-Its not a sequel or prequel to DOOM/DOOM2
-It will be diffrent but classic DOOM style

In which time will it take place? Past? Present? or Future? Thats an interesting question i think.
Maybe this time we play a real character? Not the silent. nameless hero.
Wishes fot the game?
There are many thinks we could talk and speculate about.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #352
Nihilanth

This may very well be (and most likely is) not related to DOOM but I've noticed that Brett Briley who is Concept/3d Character Artist or rather Senior Character Artist (as he is called now on Linkedin) on the DOOM Team, has recently changed his profile pic from a random fiend head to the one below. Possible DOOM model? Yeah, I know it's far-fetched.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #353
prophecy holder

I hope it's a lot more replayable than DOOM 3. The first play through for me was fun, creepy and rememorable. The second time was just boring, forgettable and induced nit picking in game design and map layout.
"Ever since I was a little boy, dressing up has always been...my greatest joy. But when It's time to be discreet, there is one thing you just can't beat and that's a strapless backless classical little black dress"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e4BCOrLmJ0
Old 09-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #354
SpinX

I hope they keep the bad ass soundtrack from doom 3...

http://www.youtube.com/user/ftbfelix
Old 09-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #355
Echo Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinX View Post
I hope they keep the bad ass soundtrack from doom 3...
Which soundtrack? There's an admittedly badass menu theme and that's it.
test of personal discipline."
- John Carmack
Old 09-25-2009, 08:57 PM   #356
john_doe2
The gore in Doom 4 should be over the top. It is Doom afterall. Just imagine shooting a fat zombie point blank with the Super Shotgun and having its guts fly all over the place. That would be so sick!

All monsters should be gibbable, including the big ones like the Hell Knight, Baron of Hell, Cyberdemon, Spider Mastermind, etc. Just imagine shooting a Hell Knight with a BFG and having him explode into a cloud of blood and gore that just paints the whole room red. Oh, and the Cyberdeomn needs to blow up like in the old games. It's death needs to be uber epic!
Old 09-26-2009, 07:18 AM   #357
hanged_man

i doubt there will be any gore in doom4, i expect it very much like doom3 (which was disappointing as hell in terms of gore)
Old 09-26-2009, 08:40 AM   #358
Kien

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanged_man View Post
i doubt there will be any gore in doom4, i expect it very much like doom3 (which was disappointing as hell in terms of gore)
Why be that?
Old 09-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #359
Nihilanth

DOOM 3 suffered poor gore and gibs due to the same reason it was dark: because they were a bit paranoid about losing performance. As far as the new DOOM goes, it's all up to the speculation as of now. Personally I don't expect disappointing gore, Todd specifically mentioned that there will be gibs. Of course they had barely started the work back then, however they already knew what the tech can do because of RAGE... so chances are we'll get proper gibs (HOPEFULLY).
Old 09-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #360
Kien

I expect;

*dismemberment (nice UT2004) (with bleeding effect from the wounds, nice job Dark Messiah)
*high decal limit on bodies (hates you Pray)
*proper assymetrical gibs (not just clean cuts Painkiller)
*special death effects from special weapons (good job with the particle cannon in FEAR, vodo doll in Blood, energy weapons in Fallout 3)
*fire makes black burnt corpses (nice Blood 2)
*long stay time for all these things (at least as option)
*only have these effects from proper weapons (hates your shotgun FEAR, making red clouds of humans)
*a few cool moves from melee weapons (sword impailing in Dark Messiah)

from all fps games (and all other with close camera like 3rd person). Too bad like zero games has all this stuff.
Last edited by Kien; 09-26-2009 at 12:52 PM.