Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #681
Yatta

Re: New screenshots of DNF in Duke3D XLBA
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Broussard View Post
Haha.

Crysis' character faces look better than Gears, Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4.

What does that mean? Nothing.

I wasn't aware that Crysis ran on reasonable hardware or sold 5-10 million units like the above games.

It's easy to bump resolution and use a 2048x2048 for a face or character, but the question is....what's better for gameplay and a game actually running, vs a screenshot. You don't sell screenshots. You sell games.

Don't miss the forest for the trees.

Yeah, I can't run Crysis worth shit, and I have a fairly good rig.

Also, I think art direction is much more important than how many polygons models have, or how high their resolutions are. Just look at this shot:

http://www.duke4.net/images/screenshots/old/8.jpg

I think the art Ruben used for that character's skin, namely his face, is comparable with something modern released in 2005-2007.
Last edited by Yatta; 09-29-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #682
Yetaman

I remember reading that CoD 4 aimed to run at constant 60FPS, on the other hand, Doom 4 is aiming at something like 30 FPS, all these on the X360 and max settings.

What is DNF aiming at?, because the FAQ says the requirements are going to be steep...
Old 09-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #683

Quote:
Haha.

I wasn't aware that Crysis ran on reasonable hardware or sold 5-10 million units like the above games.

It's easy to bump resolution and use a 2048x2048 for a face or character, but the question is....what's better for gameplay and a game actually running, vs a screenshot. You don't sell screenshots. You sell games.

Agreed George, but perhaps using Crysis is a bad idea? It's one the more interactive shooters in the last few years. Like Duke you can blow up anything you like, including the very trees. You can select many gun modes, choose to use stealth or brute force/speed, you can pickup and throw enemies like ragdolls....

Your basic point about gameplay is noted, but Crysis was not just a pretty face. Especially Warhead, it was one of the better modern shooters.

I personally hope Duke beats it to a bloody pulp, but let's not pretend it's just another pretty shooter that doesn't live up gameplay wise. I mean surely we aren't going to quote sales numbers to judge quality?
Old 09-29-2008, 03:28 PM   #684
Patricio
If you compare the screens to past duke screens I don't see anything to complain about.

That strippers ass looks really nice.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:40 PM   #685
J.P.
Ok, Thank you Realms for the Official release.

I'm interested in the perspective "motion effects" (anti-aliasing & the like) we will see and have seen (a little in the teaser).
Last edited by J.P.; 09-29-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #686
Danule

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJack View Post
After all that 'deffered lighting' nonsense on the Unreal 3 engine, I'm really hoping DNF has the option of anti-aliasing...

... It does, doesn't it? DOESN'T IT?

On a lighter note, I'm loving the detail in the screenshots - the gun looks fantastic, and those green 'claw marks' are certainly intruiging...
i hope so
Old 09-29-2008, 03:51 PM   #687
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Haha.

Crysis does run on reasonable hardware so I don't know what you are talking about. The game looks fantastic on medium settings and I played that on a rather old rig at 1024x768. Frame Rates around 30. So the reason it didn't sell like it should've is because lots of people are graphics whores who want to play it maxed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yatta View Post
Yeah, I can't run Crysis worth shit, and I have a fairly good rig.
What are your specs cause my AMD 64 4000+ and 7950GT with 2GB ran in on mediums very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58 View Post
Agreed George, but perhaps using Crysis is a bad idea? It's one the more interactive shooters in the last few years. Like Duke you can blow up anything you like, including the very trees. You can select many gun modes, choose to use stealth or brute force/speed, you can pickup and throw enemies like ragdolls....

Your basic point about gameplay is noted, but Crysis was not just a pretty face. Especially Warhead, it was one of the better modern shooters.

I personally hope Duke beats it to a bloody pulp, but let's not pretend it's just another pretty shooter that doesn't live up gameplay wise. I mean surely we aren't going to quote sales numbers to judge quality?
I agree totally with Avatar. The destruction of trees is very nice as is of buildings. Also in the original having to pick up your ammo was cool indeed.

I as well hope that Duke beats Crysis, but Crysis is definately (and especially Warhead) are one of the best shooters I've played for a while.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:54 PM   #688
Yatta

Zooljin: AMD x2 4200+, 2 GB ram, 7800 GT 256 MB. Yeah, I don't have the best graphics card, but it can run Gears of War smoothly.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:57 PM   #689
fast-1

I can run the Crysis demo with my rig, I only got 512MB ram and a Pny 6200 Nvidia 256MB card. Only can run it in window and all settings to low, but slowdown yes which I think picking up ammo and operating a bionicman suit makes any difference.

Duke looks like to be much better.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #690
Denz

The point is, can you kick people's butt in Crysis?

I don't know, thats why i actually ask.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:04 PM   #691
Psyrgery

If we talk about computers, I upgraded my Pc just to play DNF. Yes, it was a DUMBSHIT movement by myself as it's been told several times by 3DR not to, but I am currently running Crysis on 1680x1050 with all details on High, FSAA x2 and V-Sync enabled at a very nice FPS even though my systems is completely bottlenecked (Running at 1066Mhz when its supposed to run at 1333Mhz)

I'm on a Quadcore Q9450, two 9800GTX Sli'd and 4Gigs OCZ Reaper 1066. Not having problems with any games, and it was updated to play DNF. The Teaser and Jace Hall video made drool so much I could not resist the temptation to get prepared for DNF
Old 09-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #692
Evil Angel

The first 2 real screenshots in god knows how many years and all some of you want to do is rip the shit out of it compared to Crysis. How do you even know this isn't from the 360 version and the PC version will look even better?

Anyway limitations in graphics are for the most part (and always have been) due to hardware not game designers. I'm sure that if PC's were 10 or 20 times more powerful than today game designers would be able to make games look hyper-realistic.

It's about creating something that uses up to date techniques in a beautiful yet efficient way so the largest number of people can enjoy it.

From what I've seen so far 3DR are doing just that and I think Duke looks awesome. I love the whole thing so far and I can't wait to play it.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:15 PM   #693
Klaus Kinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Baron View Post
I'm really impressed with the Octabrain model!

My only gripe is that a 1911, as great as it is, seems a bit...wimpy for Duke?

Of course, it's all in how it's implemented in-game. If it's got a punch, and a great firing sound, then it's a moot point. As long as it FEELS like a Duke weapon, I'll be happy!
I think the Colt 1911 is a far better choice for DNF than the Desert Eagle shown in older screenshots.
First of all, you have a higher magazine capacity. Remember, this is a pistol and probably the first distance weapon you can use. Usually they are the weakest weapons in FPSs and when you are in later stages of the game, you'll need many shots to kill the more powerful enemies you can encounter then. I'd rather have the pistol that needs two reloads instead of 3 to kill the Octabrain. Of course you could ignore typical magazine capacities in a game but as someone who held countless virtual Desert Eagles in his virtual hands, I'd be at least surprised if I'd encounter one holding much more than 7 rounds in the magazine. It would feel wrong.
Second, let's face it, the Desert Eagle is overused. Nearly every action game with semi-realistic weaponry has one. I'm sick of it and I'm sure, I'm not the only one. I'd rather have him use a revolver. There a nice high powered ones too.
Third, it fits the character very well. Duke has IIRC a military background. The Colt 1911 was for a very, very long time the standard sidearm of the US military. Given Duke's age, he should've used it in his earliest days in the military. It's very familiar to him. It makes sense he uses that now, especially since Duke feels a bit oldschool himself.
And most importantly, fourth, the Colt 1911 is THE american pistol. No other pistol is so closely tied to this country. It's invented and produced by an american company. Like it or not, Duke is about american pride and no other pistol fits better in that aspect.

I think it's the perfect choice.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #694
Yetaman

Capacity wise, the 1911 and the Deagle are very basically the same, both hold in their normal configurations around 7+1 rounds of ammunition.

PS: Actually, the 357 Deagle holds 9 rounds, the deluxe version of the gun has all three cartridges, the 357, 44 and 50AE, holding 9, 8 and 7 rounds respectively, but.....the bulk of the weapon makes it very cumbersome, so the 1911 is a great choice.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:35 PM   #695
Klaus Kinski

Well crap, I thought the 1911 holds more rounds. Lesson today: don't rely on your memory if you have access to the internet. Stupid me. But the weight is another good point. Yes, I'm aware we're talking about a computer game with flying tentacle monsters.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:37 PM   #696
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

It's a videogame. The real life capabilities of the weapons in question are I think irrelevant (and really are a topic that has been beaten to death too many times around here). That won't matter when you're actually shooting aliens. It's a videogame.

Besides, this is a thread about screenshots, not weapon capabilities!

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 09-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #697
peoplessi

That's what I've said in the past, Klaus Kinski based his argument rather well. I don't think there is any better choice for Duke than M1911. I like the grip too. Desert Eagle has lost it's appeal.

Also, screenshots never do a game justices, that's my opinion. Fable 2 is a recent example, looks great in motion.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #698
Yetaman

We don´t have a lot of info about the game besides what we can see, and the gun is one of the most interesting things in the screenshot because of its great detail, comparing and theorizing its capabilities against possible real life counterparts seemed natural to me, sorry.
Last edited by Yetaman; 09-29-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:51 PM   #699
Lethe

deleted
Last edited by Lethe; 09-29-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:51 PM   #700
alexgk

If my lap is able to run DNF, then 3DR is The Optimization God!
Old 09-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #701
Steve

Still looking at the strippers ass. haha
Old 09-29-2008, 04:58 PM   #702
alexgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Still looking at the strippers ass. haha

I'm looking at Duke's gun, trying to imagine its reload animation...
Last edited by alexgk; 09-29-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:08 PM   #703
fudoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyrgery View Post
... So is this the First OFFICIALLY DNF Media released from 3DR??? If I remember well, George Broussard told you would not release any official DNF content until you were ready to start the Hype machine...

AIMIRITE??????...
That's exactly what I'm thinking too and no, you are not over thinking, it has been said for sure and even more in the "short time to release direction"... So should we wait for more like "done when it's done" now?

And yes, the graphics looks a bit average and it’s still enough for me but in 2010 it will look out dated for sure! I still prefer gameplay over gfx but I cannot judge that from two screenshots.

Let’s hope for a soon release!!!
Old 09-29-2008, 05:08 PM   #704
Weses

People comparing the graphics to Crysis? This can't be! How ignorant do you have to be to judge games by their graphics?
Old 09-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #705
Lethe

I guess this thing goes down to personal preference. I always imagined DNF to be a cheesy action game, but in a realistic crafted enviroment. Like in 2001 trailer. Although that build don't have nearly as much polygons as this one, it still looks superior to me. Everything there looks far more inspirational and professional then everything I saw from the new build so far.

I somehow got the feeling that they came in final phase, and wrapped the game in plastic, just to be up those new perverted standards where next gen = tasteless overuse of bloom and normal mapping. My head still hurts of trying to figure out why industry cherish that new trend so much.

I mean, they could really learn from Crysis in this department and I'm not talking about technical things. Crysis also features realistic modeled enviroments and shiny aliens, but they managed to make those enemies fit into the enviroments. That is not a matter of engine, but a matter of subtlety and taste. When I look at those screens with octabrains, I can see the strange mix of realisticly textured hover dam, and enemies which look like plastic toys from cartoon. Two different worlds. It don't look consistent at all.
Last edited by Lethe; 09-29-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #706
Steve

Hmm. Do you think the growth around the dam is some sort of octabrain nest?
Old 09-29-2008, 05:12 PM   #707
peoplessi

Just opinion, but strippers have nice polycount and they sure do look fine
Old 09-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #708
Yetaman

I dont really understand that "plastic enemies" thing you are talking about Lethe, how are flying tentacle space aliens supposed to look like?

I mean, if there is ONE enemy that I think should look slimy, and "plastic like", is the octabrain, I mean, it has tentacles, it makes me think of an octopus, a squid or another slimy plastic looking animal.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #709
Montykoro!

Is dirt in the nail? or my bad?
Old 09-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #710
Steve

Do you guys think that the octabrains, err, brain "wobbles" when it flies around?
Old 09-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #711
Yatta

Yes, it wobbles like jelly. And when you shoot it, it explodes into purple goo! Awesome.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:23 PM   #712
Lethe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetaman View Post
I dont really understand that "plastic enemies" thing you are talking about Lethe, how are flying tentacle space aliens supposed to look like?
Their look should fit with the rest of the game world, and by that, I'm not saying that they shouldn't look alien. I explained it better in my previous post.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #713
Klaus Kinski

Quote:
Maybe a giant Octabrain that breaks free from inside the dam's buildings, forcing Duke to kill it before the dam breaks. Now that would be awesome. Not that I'm wildly speculating here....
Old 09-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #714
Rösti

Are these screenshots from this year, or are they from an earlier build (2004/2005), that is what I would like to know.

Nevertheless, it does (as I wrote before) look awesome.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:48 PM   #715
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
Their look should fit with the rest of the game world, and by that, I'm not saying that they shouldn't look alien. I explained it better in my previous post.
An alien... should fit in with the game world, set on Earth... in Vegas.

Alien... stands out, doesn't fit in with Earth. They should look different, odd and weird. I think the Octabrains look f**king fantastic. The details are incredible... the damn things look scary as hell.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 09-29-2008, 05:51 PM   #716
Yatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rösti View Post
Are these screenshots from this year, or are they from an earlier build (2004/2005), that is what I would like to know.

Nevertheless, it does (as I wrote before) look awesome.
They're from September 8, 2008.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #717
Rösti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yatta View Post
They're from September 8, 2008.
Do you have a source to that?
Old 09-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #718
Nacho

Quote:

I'm actually beginning to think that that is the burrower worm thing we've seen in the past.

He was seen in some electric plant type building and isn't that what a dam is? Maybe you can see it squirming around the level before you face it, or maybe its so massive its body is seen all over the map... could be more than one too...
Old 09-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #719
alexgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rösti View Post
Do you have a source to that?
Read the URL...
Old 09-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #720
Lethe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
An alien... should fit in with the game world, set on Earth... in Vegas.
You clearly didn't understand what I was trying to say.

It looks like its from another game world. Play any scene in Crysis and see how aliens still fit in the game world and art style. In fact, you can also play all AVP games to see the example. Those Octabrains look like they are affected by completely different lightning then the rest of the gameworld. They stick out. Not like aliens would stick out of our world, but in the sense that they're not consistent with the rest of the game art style. As for them looking fantastic and incredibly detailed, I simply don't agree. Lack of polygons is obviously covered by huge amount of the normal mapping, which just makes them sterile and souless as hell.
Last edited by Lethe; 09-29-2008 at 06:01 PM.