Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-21-2004, 08:26 AM   #1
Maren Gnawol

Analizing Shadow Warrior
Who agrees on the following points?:

1- You can't get corpses to explode as quick and efficient as in Duke Nukem.

2- The katana would hack-to-half the baddies in the wrong direction, I mean, if you cut something from upper left to lower right, it shouldn't wound and fall from upper right to lower left!.

3- There's no snorkel or something emulating the effect of the apnea as in Duke Nukem.

4- The animation of the hand inserting the access card so beautifully implemented in Duke Nukem is gone in Shadow Warrior.

5- The chicks are flat, have no dying frames and leave no more than a couple of blood drops as they are hit...

6- You can't make Wang talk on demand as in Duke Nukem!.

7- Fragile stuff just like TV screens and vases no longer blow up to pieces, instead, they stand rock solid even under a nuclear rocket attack....unlike Duke Nukem.

8- Shadow Warrior has no demos unlike Duke Nukem.

9- Nuclear rockets fired against walls or whatever on the horizontal trajectory, make smokin mushrooms grow from the ground as the they were dropped bombs.

10- A blood-spurting ninja who's been deadly injured stops bleeding if you slice it again.

As you can read, none of these flaws would take an insane amount of work to get fixed or improved, but since the source code releasing wills have pretty much died, I can only dream about it.

That's my 2 cents.

Btw, hello to the forum and thanks whoever approved my membership
Old 08-21-2004, 08:41 AM   #2
Sir Lemonhead
Re: Analizing Shadow Warrior
It has been said countless times already, we're getting the source code. Just be patient. Now is not the time.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:43 AM   #3
Sir Lemonhead
Actually, sorry for being so harsh. Welcome to the boards

The source will get released when alot of work has progressed on the Duke3d source. We don't want interest in Duke3d dying out if people have the shadows warrior code to move over to.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:52 AM   #4
Maren Gnawol

Quote:
Actually, sorry for being so harsh. Welcome to the boards

The source will get released when alot of work has progressed on the Duke3d source. We don't want interest in Duke3d dying out if people have the shadows warrior code to move over to.
No prob sir

And ur right, we'd have to clone Jonof to get someone to work on the new source and that's quite expensive
Old 08-21-2004, 10:01 AM   #5
Sir Lemonhead
Once he has his duke3d port fulling working (I guess multiplayer and bugs fixed) he should be easily enough able to get shadow warrior ported with the same features
Old 08-21-2004, 05:57 PM   #6
Carger2000
Quote:
1- You can't get corpses to explode as quick and efficient as in Duke Nukem.
-Depends on how you do it.

Quote:
6- You can't make Wang talk on demand as in Duke Nukem!.
-There's loads of Wang speech used..the quotes in Deathmatch are present.

Quote:
7- Fragile stuff just like TV screens and vases no longer blow up to pieces, instead, they stand rock solid even under a nuclear rocket attack....unlike Duke Nukem.
-Depends on the sprite. There's lots of sprites that have
'blown to pieces' animation. Also, this can be set manually (in build) as well, so no code has to be changed.

Quote:
8- Shadow Warrior has no demos unlike Duke Nukem.
-It does not have any pre recorded demo on the title screen background but demos can actually be recorded.

Some fair points about the missing keycard insertion animation and slash mark though. Didn't notice that.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:33 PM   #7
Maren Gnawol

Quote:
-Depends on how you do it.
Try exploding a small sumo's corpse

Quote:
There's loads of Wang speech used..the quotes in Deathmatch are present.
I know Wang's comments are situationally accurate and funny but if I had lil control over them, that would kick, I mean, he does not always say something whenever I want him to. Never played it online (would love to anyways).

Quote:
-Depends on the sprite. There's lots of sprites that have 'blown to pieces' animation. Also, this can be set manually (in build) as well, so no code has to be changed.
I of course, make reference to those that won't blow. About the code, well, I'm an utter ass so don't take my word on it so serious

Quote:
-It does not have any pre recorded demo on the title screen background but demos can actually be recorded.
Sure they can but I felt like something was missing when I first played the game, besides, I have a strange fetish for the "official stuff" just as patches and demos recorded by the SW team, etc...
Old 08-21-2004, 06:38 PM   #8
Maren Gnawol

Quote:
Once he has his duke3d port fulling working (I guess multiplayer and bugs fixed) he should be easily enough able to get shadow warrior ported with the same features
That made my day!.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:09 AM   #9
Maren Gnawol

I almost forgot:

11- Bullet shells don't float underwater as Duke's do
Old 08-23-2004, 02:18 PM   #10
Dr.Dude

I think this is analyzing over Shadow Warrior a little bit too much, man--but that might just be me.

But regardless...!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 633263-welcome3drLO.jpg (90.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-23-2004, 10:25 PM   #11
Maren Gnawol

Sorry, it's just that I'm big big SW fan. I hope someone willing to port SW gets to read my post and takes these suggestions into account
Old 08-27-2004, 12:01 AM   #12
Ronstar

*cough* Shadow Warrior is still better *cough*
Old 08-28-2004, 02:45 PM   #13
dudetheman19

Cough Shadow a lot better than duke Cough...... Hotter chicks in shadow warrior too Hot manga chick.... oh yeah.... BRING BACK SHADOW WARRIOR IN 3D!!! Would be awsome with a remake og SW in the new DNF engin, but unfortunatly that is illigal unless 3drealms makes it, graah!!
Old 08-31-2004, 07:26 PM   #14
Maren Gnawol

12- There's no hand pushing the "end level" ying-yang button. That animation looked cool in Duke Nukem
Old 09-08-2004, 01:26 PM   #15
eljava
I just think that any game that actually used nukes was awesome.

I fondly remember the days of multiplayer, and the "nuclear launch detected" voice would sound off, and everyone went ooooooh Sheeeet!