Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-30-2001, 11:43 AM   #1
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

A new slowdown utility available!
As some of you have noticed, a lot of our older titles have problems with today's faster computers. Several of them have been discontinued due to this problem, but for those of you who have them already, some new help is now available.

We recently came across a new slowdown utility called "CPU Killer". This essentially slows down your computer so that these programs can run. We've run some tests on our older games that can't run on really fast computers (We tried it on a few 1.2Ghz machines), and this makes them work again! What you need to do is run this program, select the slowdown speed, and then go and run whatever game you're having problems with. When you're done with the game, just stop CPU Killer, and your computer is back to the way it was before!

Some older builds of our shareware games have problems installing (the most common error is the Runtime Error 200), this will help get those programs installed. However, any download downloaded directly from links on our web site won't have that problem, we fixed the installer issue some time ago; it's older installs that are floating around elsewhere that have this problem.

We've had a workaround available for some time for this issue (in the form of Mo'Slo), but CPU Killer is a Windows app, so you can run that in Windows, and is slightly easier to use than MoSlo was. Both Mo'Slo & CPU Killer can be downloaded from our master downloads page. Just click on the downloads button on the left side of the screen, and then go to the bottom and look for "Miscellaneous downloads". You can also visit the home page of CPU Killer by clicking here.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 10-30-2001, 01:31 PM   #2
Redlof
Re: A new slowdown utility available!
Ha, I know what alot of people who use CPU Killer to cheat on online games.(One player) What an odd coincedence that it gets mentioned here too.
Old 10-30-2001, 04:55 PM   #3
MrEricSir
Does anyone other than me think it's strange to buy the latest and greatest machine and then slow it down?
Old 10-30-2001, 05:16 PM   #4
Superczar

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MrEricSir:
Does anyone other than me think it's strange to buy the latest and greatest machine and then slow it down?<hr></blockquote>

Hehe, kinda seems counter-productive doesnt it? I'm gonna try this out, Moslo doesnt seem to cut it with some progs...
Old 10-30-2001, 05:33 PM   #5
NutWrench

Cool. Ever since I got my new computer, the end-of-level music in Duke3D was always messed up. Thanks to CpuKiller it works great, now. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 10-30-2001, 07:30 PM   #6
Lengis

I haven't had a lot of trouble with old games being too fast. Only the extremely old CGA cames tend to not have a DF/DT limit.

Most of the time I had problems with them not working with Sound Blaster Live.
Old 10-31-2001, 07:16 AM   #7
Admiral_Bob
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by superczar:
Moslo doesnt seem to cut it with some progs...<hr></blockquote>

The problem with MoSlo was that some of the programs (most noticeably the ones that use DOS extenders) always hijacked the interrupt handler that MoSlo uses for its timing loop, rendering it totally ineffective. This seems like a better idea, using Windows' own multitasking scheduler to generate delays.

You can fix the "Runtime Error 200" problem by actually patching the executable as well. Grab tppatch.exe . You'll also need UNP to be able to unpack the executable first.

I've actually been contemplating the possible idea of writing something like an 8086 or simple i386 emulator that actually interpreted the instructions and emulated DOS calls, CGA thru VGA graphics, PC speaker and (eventually) sound hardware, similar to the way NES and SNES emulators for the PC are designed. The idea is to get around the tricks that these older games rely on with the IBM XT hardware that newer hardware may not support.

I was thinking of making it an open-source cross-platform program. I've got tons of documentation lying around with DOS internals and 8086 opcode formats (which you can get in various FTP archives all over the net). Would anyone think this might be a worthwhile project, and would anyone want to help out (I'd probably do it using C/C++)?

If there's already something like this created, can someone point me to a link?

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: Admiral_Bob ]
Old 10-31-2001, 05:54 PM   #8
Flaose

I've tried CPUKiller before...but it didn't work out too well for me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Maybe I should try again though.
Old 11-02-2001, 10:21 AM   #9
Bdragon
Admiral_Bob:
Have you tried bochs? it is an open source i386/486/586 emulator.
http://bochs.sf.net.
Old 11-02-2001, 03:31 PM   #10
Frenkel

Wow, now I can play Chagunitzu on my PII 300mhz.
Old 11-02-2001, 04:13 PM   #11
Daedalus

Wow, and now I have a collection of 57 slowdown tools and DNF is still WID. Great! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2001, 03:33 PM   #12
Maniac
I knew this utility. It helped me playing Tyrian again in Windows.
Old 11-04-2001, 02:15 AM   #13
Admiral_Bob
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bdragon:
Admiral_Bob:
Have you tried bochs? it is an open source i386/486/586 emulator.
http://bochs.sf.net.
<hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the link. I'll try and find some time to play around with it.

The only quirk with emulators like Bochs and VMWare is you actually need to set up an actual DOS partition/installation in order to run the games (meaning you have to own a version of DOS, unless you can get the game to work with FreeDOS)*. The approach I was thinking of was having an inbuilt DOS API emulator, so you just need the game files and that's it. Bochs is also a bit on the slow side (being fully written in C++), though that can be helped with a bit of assembler (which I'm familiar with)...

* Though of course if you have Win 9x you can always make a boot disk.

Anyways, I've got a stack of 386/486 motherboards and spare cases lying around, so I just fire one of them up if I want to run the speed-affected games for now [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: Admiral_Bob ]
Old 11-04-2001, 02:06 PM   #14
MrEricSir
Can anyone tell me if they've had any luck getting Epic's Zone 66 to work with these utils?
Old 11-06-2001, 02:44 PM   #15
Frenkel

I thought that Zone 66 only runs well on a 386 or 486 because it uses special commands. I'm not sure, I never tried it, I read it somewhere.