Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-19-2003, 05:30 PM   #1
What\'s with the cow
A simple question from a simple guy. Does anyone know the significance of the cow in the dot panel display during play at various times on any table of "Balls of Steel" pinball by Wildfire?

Old 03-20-2003, 11:53 AM   #2
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Re: What\'s with the cow
I used to know the answer to that, but I can't remember right now. I'll take a look around and get back to you.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 03-20-2003, 03:01 PM   #3
Frenkel

Why a cow? Why not the Dopefish?

When you see the cow, you can press HOME and recieve 5 million. (I think it's HOME, i'm not sure. That key in the upper middle. I'm using a laptop with a different keyboard right now [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ).
Old 03-20-2003, 04:43 PM   #4
Scotty

Yes, it's "Home" [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<spoiler>

When you hit "Home", the cow gets splattered by a police cruiser in "Firestorm", RPGed in "Duke Nukem", and roasted on a spit in "Devil's Island" [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
</spoiler>
Old 03-20-2003, 05:29 PM   #5
It was the 'HOME" key and it does give 5 million points on Darkside. Thanks to all who answered. Now i gotta go see what happens on the other tables. Does anyone want to comment on whether or not i should get the download for Devil's Island? Keep in mind that i think Balls of Steel is as good as i've ever seen for a pc pinball game and i have at least 30 different ones.

Old 03-21-2003, 04:23 PM   #6
Scotty

The way missions are handled* makes it tougher to see everything without cheating (yes, there are cheat codes [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ), but it's still a cool game. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If you can find the boxed version, it supports more resolutions than the download version. The download version supports 800x600 and 1600x1200.

Somewhat off-topic, you can post your high scores on the Tower of Pin. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It looks like I may have to play some more. Most of my (rather unimpressive but once in the top ten) high scores have been pushed out of the top ten. [img]graemlins/tinyted.gif[/img]

-Scotty

...* = in BOS, you get credit for just attempting a mission, and can only play each mission once. In DI, you get credit only if you complete the mission, and it's possible to accidentally replay a completed mission...
Old 03-21-2003, 08:35 PM   #7
Kudos to all for the info on the cow. And to Scotty for the "box version versus download" info on Devil's Island. I am not up to speed on forums but this has been my most fruitfull attempt to get an answer. As to posting high scores-go for it Scotty. If it's been a while since you played Balls of Steel, i am sure you will once again be pleased.
Although it is not an epogee game, Full tilt 2 pinball (Mad Scientist-Captain Hero-Alien Daze)by Maxis came on the same cd as my copy of Balls of Steel. I cannot tell you how happy you would make this old geezer, if you could steer me in the direction of an answer to a question i have about the full tilt 2 games.
And the question is " Is there anyway to change the 3 ball default games on these games, to 5 ball games? The tables have a certain charm but the ball physics suck. I have as yet to open up many of the ramps or effects because i have found it nearly impossible to complete the challenge modes with just three balls per game. I have had no luck with contacting Maxis. Although i am not a puter wiz by any streach of the imagination, i could possibly (with a little direction) push my abilities and change the program codes. If i knew:
1)which codes to change.
2)what to change them to.
3)how to access them to implement the change

LOL-is there a light in the wilderness for me?

Old 03-21-2003, 09:27 PM   #8
Scotty

I don't know anything about Full Tilt 2, but there's a forum on Tower of Pin, if nobody has an answer for you here.

Wildfire Studios has a FAQ which contains all the cheat codes for all of their pinball games, so you won't have to edit/hack/modify BOS or Devil's Island to see everything. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2003, 04:15 AM   #9
Frenkel

Quote:
Originally posted by Scotty:
Somewhat off-topic, you can post your high scores on the Tower of Pin. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm on every Balls of Steel hiscore list [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .
Old 05-07-2003, 03:58 AM   #10
benryves
I've got this game by eXpert software, called Devil's Island Pinball. I've noticed that if you Windows+M to minimise it it says 'Balls of Steel' in the taskbar - is Devil's Island based on the BOS engine?
Old 05-07-2003, 09:51 AM   #11
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

http://www.3drealms.com/balls/tableinfo.html

Old 06-09-2003, 10:26 PM   #12
Mr. Person
All of the pinball games (real machines) made by Balley Midway had a hidden sequence of moves to make cows appear on the screen.

Old 06-10-2003, 12:44 AM   #13
Karthik
Does Apgee plan to make more pinball games?

Old 06-10-2003, 09:51 AM   #14
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Karthik:
Does Apgee plan to make more pinball games?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No, no plans.

Old 06-10-2003, 11:04 PM   #15
Wrathstalker

That's good Joe. You should never plan anything.. things might not turn out the way you plan. *Duke Forever* [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]