Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 10:17 PM   #1
PimPamPet
Boppin' Freeware release?
I have another question for Joe, this time about Boppin', the Accursed Toys game.

I loved this game when it came out some years ago for DOS, and I see it's out as freeware now, but only for Windows. I was wondering if it's at all possible to get the full version of the DOS edition released as freeware too? I still have my old 486 with DOS 6.22 and I'd love to play Boppin' on it again. Since the Windows version is free, I figured, why can't the DOS version be free as well? You no longer sell it, right? Please look into this.
PimPamPet is offline  
Old 08-01-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
Zztx

Zztx's Avatar
Re: Boppin' Freeware release?
http://www.classicdosgames.com/puzzle.html

You can download DOS versions 1.0 and 1.1 here, unless the DOS versions aren't covered in the freeware release for some reason...???

For God's sake, honor the Deady Bear and get 1.0.
__________________
"God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
Zztx is offline  
Old 08-01-2006, 10:52 PM   #3
Rassilon

Rassilon's Avatar
Re: Boppin' Freeware release?
you can get the windows version here
__________________
~When life gives you lemons, suck them!!!!
~What is life?, but natures way of keeping meat fresh....
Rassilon is offline  
Old 08-01-2006, 11:43 PM   #4
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Joe Siegler's Avatar
Re: Boppin' Freeware release?
The rights to Boppin don't lie with us. They lie with Stephen Lepisto, the original author. He recompiled and released for Windows. After he did that, I did get a request to release the DOS version of Boppin - although why anyone would want it, I have no idea - the Windows version runs miles better.

However, I inquired anyway, and was told to go ahead, so I believe I sent them a copy of what we were distributing when it was withdrawn. It's also available at the link by Zztx.
__________________
Apogee / 3D Realms Employee: Dec 14, 1992 - May 22, 2009, Oct 23, 2014 - current

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Joe Siegler is offline  
Old 08-02-2006, 01:10 AM   #5
avatar_58

avatar_58's Avatar
Re: Boppin' Freeware release?
Joe - there could be many reasons. One - the windows version doesn't work on OSX or Linux, but via dosbox it works on many platforms Two - some people really dislike midi music and probably prefer either adlib or some other soundcard. Therefore they would rather run the dos version to have it selectable.

Its kind of the same reason why I would never touch the windows versions of many old games, the music sometimes gets butchered in translation.

Personally I have no nostalgic ties to Boppin so the windows version w/ midi music suits me fine.
avatar_58 is offline  
Old 08-02-2006, 05:58 AM   #6
PimPamPet
Re: Boppin' Freeware release?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler
The rights to Boppin don't lie with us. They lie with Stephen Lepisto, the original author. He recompiled and released for Windows. After he did that, I did get a request to release the DOS version of Boppin - although why anyone would want it, I have no idea - the Windows version runs miles better.

However, I inquired anyway, and was told to go ahead, so I believe I sent them a copy of what we were distributing when it was withdrawn. It's also available at the link by Zztx.
So let me get this straight, it won't be released because Stephen doesn't want it, or simply because you feel the Windows version is sufficient?

It's just that some people, myself included, want to avoid Windows as much as they can. The DOS version always played fine, and I have to disagree that the Windows version runs 'miles better'.

Thanks for the link Zztx. Cool stuff.
PimPamPet is offline  
Old 08-02-2006, 06:22 AM   #7
DOSGuy

DOSGuy's Avatar
Re: Boppin' Freeware release?
Following the Windows release, I emailed Jennifer Diane Reitz, who did the art for Boppin' and maintains the website with the Windows version. She told me that all versions of Boppin', including for DOS and Amiga, are freeware. She didn't have a copy of the DOS version any more, but as per Joe's recollection, he was able to provide me with a copy.

I don't generally share email conversations without the permission of the other party, but I can prove that Boppin' for DOS is freeware, otherwise it wouldn't be on my website. I was able to locate a copy of the full version of v1.0, so enjoy the twisted evilness.
__________________
"Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article." Get free DOS games at www.classicdosgames.com
DOSGuy is offline  
Old 08-02-2006, 08:01 AM   #8
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Joe Siegler's Avatar
Re: Boppin' Freeware release?
Er, the bleeding teddy bear is in v1.1 too - just have to use a command line parameter to get it.

We never felt it was appropriate for what billed itself as a kids' puzzle game. We also weren't fond of the characters killing themselves the way they did either, but couldn't win that battle.
__________________
Apogee / 3D Realms Employee: Dec 14, 1992 - May 22, 2009, Oct 23, 2014 - current

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Joe Siegler is offline  
Old 08-02-2006, 08:25 AM   #9
hiob

hiob's Avatar
Re: Boppin' Freeware release?
another game i have yet to play
__________________
:3
hiob is offline  
Old 08-02-2006, 08:38 AM   #10
DOSGuy

DOSGuy's Avatar
Re: Boppin' Freeware release?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler
Er, the bleeding teddy bear is in v1.1 too - just have to use a command line parameter to get it.
It seems to be important to people to have the original for some reason. I guess our impatient society has no time for command line variables.
__________________
"Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article." Get free DOS games at www.classicdosgames.com
DOSGuy is offline  
Old 08-02-2006, 08:50 AM   #11
PimPamPet
Re: Boppin' Freeware release?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOSGuy
It seems to be important to people to have the original for some reason. I guess our impatient society has no time for command line variables.
It seems I used to have v1.0, because that bear always showed up when I started the game. I didn't even know there was a v1.1. I downloaded them both for the sake of completeness, and just to see what was changed. Thanks again for making them available, I used to love this game.
PimPamPet is offline  
Old 08-02-2006, 09:32 AM   #12
DOSGuy

DOSGuy's Avatar
Re: Boppin' Freeware release?
There's also that. I feel incomplete if I don't have completeness. That's a word, right?
__________________
"Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article." Get free DOS games at www.classicdosgames.com
DOSGuy is offline  
Old 08-02-2006, 06:36 PM   #13
Zztx

Zztx's Avatar
Re: Boppin' Freeware release?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler
We never felt it was appropriate for what billed itself as a kids' puzzle game. We also weren't fond of the characters killing themselves the way they did either, but couldn't win that battle.
From the beginning of Boppin' -

__________________
"God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
Zztx is offline  
Old 08-02-2006, 10:27 PM   #14
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Joe Siegler's Avatar
Re: Boppin' Freeware release?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zztx
From the beginning of Boppin' -

What's your point?
__________________
Apogee / 3D Realms Employee: Dec 14, 1992 - May 22, 2009, Oct 23, 2014 - current

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Joe Siegler is offline  
Old 08-02-2006, 10:59 PM   #15
Funduke

Funduke's Avatar
Re: Boppin' Freeware release?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler
What's your point?
His Point is, that the game did not bill itself as a kids game. It billed itself as an adults game.

Greetings
Funduke
Funduke is offline  
Old 08-02-2006, 11:21 PM   #16
Zztx

Zztx's Avatar
Re: Boppin' Freeware release?
^ Pretty much.

I'd hate to think that because it is, for the most part, a colorful and light-hearted puzzle game, that it warrants being labelled a kids' game despite the authors' intentions. I can see how Apogee may have had a problem with that in terms of marketability, but I don't see compromising the authors' vision, however slightly, as justifiable.

Besides, the games' statement on censorship (Hunnybunz "purifying" games through the removal of violence, and consequently, fun) is probably lost on the younger crowd.
__________________
"God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
Last edited by Zztx; 08-02-2006 at 11:25 PM.
Zztx is offline  
Old 08-03-2006, 06:40 AM   #17
DOSGuy

DOSGuy's Avatar
Re: Boppin' Freeware release?
I could understand if they wanted to make a thoroughly disturbing and/or violent game from beginning to end, but they made a puzzle game that was appropriate for all ages and intentionally tried to make it inappropriate for children to fulfill a manifesto based on their philosophy. It seems like they made the game inappropriate just for the sake of being inappropriate. I have no objection to their manifesto. If they want to market games to the 60+% of gamers who are adults, let them. I just don't see why this particular game had to be an adult game.
__________________
"Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article." Get free DOS games at www.classicdosgames.com
DOSGuy is offline  
Old 08-03-2006, 07:41 AM   #18
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Joe Siegler's Avatar
Re: Boppin' Freeware release?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOSGuy
I could understand if they wanted to make a thoroughly disturbing and/or violent game from beginning to end, but they made a puzzle game that was appropriate for all ages and intentionally tried to make it inappropriate for children to fulfill a manifesto based on their philosophy. It seems like they made the game inappropriate just for the sake of being inappropriate.
That was one of Apogee's problems with the game. We todl them to pick a side of the fence and stick there. They were trying to be a cute kids game (cute stuff, puzzle game), and a more adult game (blood, suicide) at the same time, and it didn't work.
__________________
Apogee / 3D Realms Employee: Dec 14, 1992 - May 22, 2009, Oct 23, 2014 - current

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Joe Siegler is offline  
Old 08-03-2006, 07:48 AM   #19
hiob

hiob's Avatar
Re: Boppin' Freeware release?
i just played it for the first time and i think it works perfectly, of course i understand that this crossover isnīt really good if you want to sell the game to a big audience, but nontheless i think this game is unique and deserves to be called a classic
__________________
:3
hiob is offline  
Old 08-03-2006, 12:11 PM   #20
Zztx

Zztx's Avatar
Re: Boppin' Freeware release?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiob
i just played it for the first time and i think it works perfectly, of course i understand that this crossover isnīt really good if you want to sell the game to a big audience...
Aye. While the idea of a twisted, yet lighthearted puzzler certainly makes for a more interesting end product than if it had "stuck to one side of the fence", such a bipolar game is risky to market. For instance, the negative reprecussions of parents, who thought they were getting a kid's game, complaining that little Billy's colorful hero just blew his brains out.
*chuckle*

Ideally, designers could pump out whatever they wanted without a concerned publisher's scrutiny or worrying about their product reaching the right demographic. But ideals don't make good business models, and that's what makes Apogee's actions justifiable from the business side of things, whether I, or the creators, like it or not.

Besides, it could have been much worse. The game could have gone to a lesser publisher and been butchered, or it could have not been published at all. Think about THAT: a world without the Deady Bear!
So despite all my would-be bitching, kudos to Apogee for putting this great game out, no matter how much trouble it gave them.

Quote:
...but nontheless i think this game is unique and deserves to be called a classic
At the very least, it will always be a cult hit with people like me around.
__________________
"God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
Zztx is offline  
Old 08-03-2006, 05:39 PM   #21
avatar_58

avatar_58's Avatar
Re: Boppin' Freeware release?
Aren't you being a bit melodramatic? The deady Bear logo and the suicide deaths are hardly a major part of the game, nor are they required really. I hate censorship with a passion, but when it comes to this game I wouldn't lose sleep over such trivial edits.

I'm afraid I have to agree with Joe here, they really needed to pick a side of the fence and stick with it. Had it been a adult oriented violent puzzle game all the way through then it would have been fine, but if you lose the deaths and logo you can't see how this was meant to be an adult oriented game.

Either way its a damn good game However not because of the pixelated violence.
avatar_58 is offline  
Old 08-03-2006, 06:31 PM   #22
Zztx

Zztx's Avatar
Re: Boppin' Freeware release?
Not really - I acknowledged Apogee's good business sense and didn't accuse them of butchery.

And sure it would have been a good game without the violence, but not nearly as memorable.
__________________
"God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
Zztx is offline  
Old 08-21-2006, 08:33 PM   #23
PimPamPet
Re: Boppin' Freeware release?
Because it was mentioned that the Amiga version of Boppin' is freeware too, I have uploaded it to Megaupload for anyone who wants to have it. Just click the link below to get it.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CRUJHHM0
PimPamPet is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:39 PM.

Page generated in 0.19085503 seconds (100.00% PHP - 0% MySQL) with 18 queries

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Website is Đ1987-2014 Apogee Software, Ltd.
Ideas and messages posted here become property of Apogee Software Ltd.