Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-07-2005, 11:10 PM   #1
Spooger

Prey? (was: April Fools)
I played around with the idea of a DNF unveiling right after Prey at E3, but someone didn't like my idea because the post that contained that speculation was deleted Still, I agree Kaiser - the timing seems great What a double whammy that would be eh?
Old 04-07-2005, 11:22 PM   #2
MegaMustaine

Re: Prey?
IMHO I believe either way DNF hurts prey. If they reveal DNF it may take away from prey, but at the same time people might see prey and say yeah that's cool but where's DNF. Hopefully it is a very distinct game such as Max Payne, and can overcome this obstacle. Oh yeah, I want DNF.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:23 PM   #3
KaiserSoze

Quote:
Spooger said:
I played around with the idea of a DNF unveiling right after Prey at E3, but someone didn't like my idea because the post that contained that speculation was deleted Still, I agree Kaiser - the timing seems great What a double whammy that would be eh?
what better way for 3dr to finally show all the doubters, eh spooger?

we can still hope.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:29 PM   #4
KaiserSoze

Quote:
MegaMustaine said:
IMHO I believe either way DNF hurts prey. If they reveal DNF it may take away from prey, but at the same time people might see prey and say yeah that's cool but where's DNF. Hopefully it is a very distinct game such as Max Payne, and can overcome this obstacle. Oh yeah, I want DNF.
in this case, i don't think it'd hurt 3dr to announce dnf and prey together/show them off.

chances are that prey is gonna ship before dnf anyways.

if anything, you wouldn't want to ship both games in close proximity to each other as that could harm them.

besides, i don't think many gamers would go: i only want "prey" or i only want "dnf".

most diehard gamers will get both as long as they look and play well.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:33 PM   #5
theRobot

It would have to be like this..... * blured vision for daydream/flashback effect *

Location: E3, 3DR suprise booth, no one ever expected them to show up..

For the last hour and a half George has been showing off the newer effects added in the last month to Prey a game he's showcasing at E3. Having never said a word of DNF, the logo of WID plastered all over makes people believe that's the answer to expect for DNF related questions.

All the developers and press stare in awe of the awesome feats shown by the newly released Prey demo. And then a geek shows up.... "What about Duke Nukem Fornever? Are you guys ever going to be done with that game? Why are starting back on Prey, I thought you said you'd only work on one game at a time? DNF on the backburner or something?"

George, having listened to this shooting spree of questions, has the vein in the forehead starting to show up. "Well.... I think I can answer all of those questions with one simple answer." He reaches into a black bag sitting mysteriously at the edge of the booth and removes a gold disc. "**** you ****ers! You doubted us all along! Who has the last laugh now!? We do! That's who!"

* blurred visions stop *
.... and then kaiser would wake up...

((eh, shoot me... I was bored... again...)(ack, but don't ban me.. I was only kiddin'))
Old 04-07-2005, 11:35 PM   #6
Spooger

Quote:
MegaMustaine said:
This would be true...if DNF's influence was strong. A full blown trailer would no doubt blow audiences away, but if a quick teaser was shown right after Prey's showcase (assuming Prey is to be shown only in video, which may or may not be the case) people would be thinking this: "Wow. Prey kicks ass, AND Duke Nukem kicks ass!" It would be, imho, a win-win situation.

Kaiser - 1 <3 for DNF hope
Old 04-08-2005, 12:07 AM   #7
Vivi

This is how I think DNF should be unveiled at E3:

A giant black screen is set up in a dark room for all the press to go in and sit down to watch the 3DR video. Dark, orchestrated music slowly starts, and the words "When It's Done" appear in giant white letters. After a few more seconds, the "When" starts to fuzz and disappear, with a static noise to accompany it, leaving just the words "It's Done". You hear Duke Nukem laugh, and all of a sudden BAM, the DNF video kicks off with a kickass Megadeth song, brand new visuals, clips of the game, and general ass-kicking all around.

Then the final clip of the game fades back to black, the crowd stops cheering, awaiting something or someone. Duke appears on screen and says "It's About Damn Time".

Check out my band - http://www.myspace.com/dyingiseasy
Old 04-08-2005, 12:10 AM   #8
Spooger

I want you to know...that idea gave me goosebumps! Awesome idea Hopefully they'll use it...someday.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:47 AM   #9
trackit

We can all hope, and i do too... but I i'm afraid that will not be the case. I think we will see DNF in the second half of the year. maybe close to X-mas...
Old 04-08-2005, 01:00 AM   #10
Little Conqueror

I don't want 3DR to show me anything. I want to see an announcement on the 3DR page saying, "WE SHIPPED IT, BITCHES" - whether "it" is DNF or Prey.

And I'll fall out of my wheelchair, break my age-worn hip, and lose my dentures.

"If you join the good fight, you get 72 domain names when you die." -- Wamplet
Old 04-08-2005, 01:25 AM   #11
KaiserSoze

Quote:
Little Conqueror said:
I don't want 3DR to show me anything. I want to see an announcement on the 3DR page saying, "WE SHIPPED IT, BITCHES" - whether "it" is DNF or Prey.

the problem with that is what happens to the marketing campaign and build up to release?

you surely don't mean 3dr should just come out of nowhere and say "we're done and the game is shipping now" without media or anything? they'd be cutting their throats if they did that.

besides, george has pretty much said they won't do that. it will be a gradual build up until they announce it gold.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:32 AM   #12
KaiserSoze

Quote:
trackit said:
We can all hope, and i do too... but I i'm afraid that will not be the case. I think we will see DNF in the second half of the year. maybe close to X-mas...
popular opinion(more like guessing) would seem to suggest 3dr is looking at duke 3d's 10th anniversary in january 2006 to possibly launch dnf.

at last mention, george didn't know if they're going 6 months out or up to a year out to start the campaign.

you figure the math out.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:57 AM   #13
Jabba the Hutt

Quote:
trackit said:
Maybe it is some years back, but I remember GB posting something like they wouldn't care about Xmas or anything to release DNF, when it's done, then it' s done and going gold, regardless of the season.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:16 AM   #14
3D Master
Quote:
theRobot said:
It would have to be like this..... * blured vision for daydream/flashback effect *

Location: E3, 3DR suprise booth, no one ever expected them to show up..

For the last hour and a half George has been showing off the newer effects added in the last month to Prey a game he's showcasing at E3. Having never said a word of DNF, the logo of WID plastered all over makes people believe that's the answer to expect for DNF related questions.

All the developers and press stare in awe of the awesome feats shown by the newly released Prey demo. And then a geek shows up.... "What about Duke Nukem Fornever? Are you guys ever going to be done with that game? Why are starting back on Prey, I thought you said you'd only work on one game at a time? DNF on the backburner or something?"

George, having listened to this shooting spree of questions, has the vein in the forehead starting to show up. "Well.... I think I can answer all of those questions with one simple answer." He reaches into a black bag sitting mysteriously at the edge of the booth and removes a gold disc. "**** you ****ers! You doubted us all along! Who has the last laugh now!? We do! That's who!"

* blurred visions stop *
.... and then kaiser would wake up...

((eh, shoot me... I was bored... again...)(ack, but don't ban me.. I was only kiddin'))
A bit different. George just grins, and pushes a button.

Big screen behind it goes black, and "When it's done" appears. People groan, but then 'When' fades out, and as the 'i' turns capital the final two words expand to fill the screen, and we hear Duke: "Always bet on Duke."

George: "Oh, the machines have the first level as a demo."

2 hours later all the journalists are stuffed in jail and none got to play, because they fought each other getting to the machines and cops had to break it up.

Old 04-08-2005, 04:56 AM   #15
SyntaxN

cool dreams...
but face it, we wonīt see the Duke on E3
imo weīre getting Prey (or whatever) from human head with the 3dr logo on it, thatīs all!
Duke is still WID and it donīt seems that even 3dr knows when DNF is in beta stage or so
/me still hopes but itīs unlikely!