Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-08-1999, 11:19 PM   #1
Cosmo on a Pentium?
Now that my kids are old enough to play computer games I thought Cosmo would be fun for them and maybe for me for old times sake, but it doesn't seem to want to run. Doesn't seem to matter between win98 or dos.

Old 08-08-1999, 11:47 PM   #2
Re: Cosmo on a Pentium?
I don't know which Cosmo you have, but I have registered version, and all 3 episodes run on my computer (they always have). I first had a 486 DX2/66 with Win3.1/DOS 6.2 and it worked, then with Win95. Then I had a PII 233, and it still worked. Now I have a PIII with Win98, and it works (except for the install program on the cd... says i don't have enough space because I have -20 some gigabytes - hehehe) I never had an original pentium, just PII and PIII and a 486, but it should run. I don't know why it wouldn't. Try editing the reserved memory for that program in the properties of the executable. Might work...

------------------
(toss)-._.-._.-.___(BOOM!)

Old 08-09-1999, 10:16 AM   #3
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

What exactly does "does not run" mean? That's not very much info to try and figure out what's going on.

Won't install? Won't run once you start the games? How are you trying to play them?

------------------
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Entertainment
Click here for info on how to use this UBB
---
"You're about as useless as JPGs to Hellen Keller" - Weird Al, 1999

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 08-09-1999, 10:31 AM   #4
Oh, it works fine. I can play it off the cd or just copy it to hard drive. The install program, however, doesn't like the fact that i have an 18 gb hard drive, so it screws up the free space measurements, and says I have -20 gb or something. Oh well.

------------------
(toss)-._.-._.-.___(BOOM!)

Old 08-09-1999, 05:28 PM   #5
I have Cosmo 1,2,3 all progs play until the first time you die then the screen goes black can't cntrl alt del or anything except hard reboot. I have run this in safe mode dos prompt only and within win98.

Old 08-10-1999, 10:19 AM   #6
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Well, this is why I need tons of info. The Cosmo "CD" wasn't done by us, it was done by FormGen, and their install program has some problems.

If it was via floppy from us, it's a different issue.

The FormGen CD is whacked, you need to copy the files from the CD to the hard drive, but not with Windows Explorer, or they'll be readonly, which is bad.

------------------
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Entertainment
---

Old 08-11-1999, 02:44 AM   #7
the games were on floppy. I used to play them all the time on my 386, I know they work. At least with that hardware???
Before you wonder, I have a p233 mmx, ati all in wonder pro pci 8mb video, I/O Magic Magic wave pci sound card.

your help is much appreciated

Old 08-11-1999, 10:33 AM   #8
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Well, I still dn't know what "does not work" means. Trying to install? Trying to play? WHAT EXACTLY are you doing?

------------------
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Entertainment
---

Old 08-11-1999, 01:48 PM   #9
I already posted what exactly I was doing. The games install and play for a very short while, up until you die the first time then the screen goes black, no audio, no keyboard control nothing but a power on reset will get control back.

Old 08-11-1999, 02:56 PM   #10
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Do you have a screen saver active? If so, turn it off before playing these games.

------------------
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Entertainment
---

Old 08-23-1999, 06:38 PM   #11
Back when I was fooling around with a shareware cd, I found Cosmo on it. Unzipped it, played it, worked fine.

Pentium 133, 16 megs (back then).

Just so you're wondering, now it's a Pentium 133, 96 megs.

---
Councilor1

Note: wafersrus, please be more specific. Not trying to be negative, just try being more specific in your problem. And make sure Numlock doesn't work when Cosmo crashes. If it doesn't, it's usually a full-blown crash.

Old 08-24-1999, 02:18 AM   #12
You might as well Kill this topic. It was a waste of time asking for help from this type of forum anyway.

How many times can the reply be "Please be more specific"? The hardware is listed, the medium is listed, the 'when is crashes' is listed... what more do you normally need to resolve a problem???????

Old 08-24-1999, 11:50 PM   #13
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>You might as well Kill this topic. It was a waste of time asking for help from this type of forum anyway.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You didn't answer the question about the screensaver. If it works for awhile, and then stops, sometimes it's a Windows screensaver kicking in.

Our earlier games had code in them to disable checks for keyboard activity - we had problems early on with screen savers causing problems with our programs. Sometimes pops up in Windows, too.

------------------
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Entertainment
---

Old 08-26-1999, 11:07 PM   #14
What version of Cosmo do you have?