Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Modifications
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-17-2007, 05:41 AM   #1
Bloodclaw
Eduke32 : crash caused by bad CON files
Hi!
I'm new to the forums, I'm making a new gamemode for Duke3D (eduke32), but I get an error now :
When I start a game, everything go well, but when I start another game, the game crash, saying an error at "0x7c920f29", and "Memory could not be read".
It also crash when I quit the game.

Here a part of the log, where the crash happen :

Code:
(...)  - CCache time: 30ms
SetGameVarID(): invalid player (-1) for per-player gamevar SURVIVALKILLS from sprite -1 (-1), player -1
SetGameVarID(): invalid player (-1) for per-player gamevar ISANALIEN from sprite -1 (-1), player -1
SetGameVarID(): invalid player (-1) for per-player gamevar  from sprite -1 (-1), player -1
SetGameVarID(): invalid player (-1) for per-player gamevar CLASSCHOOSEN from sprite -1 (-1), player -1
SetGameVarID(): invalid player (-1) for per-player gamevar ADDEDWEAPON from sprite -1 (-1), player -1
E5L1: AS - DOCKS
BLOODCLAW HAS CALLED A VOTE TO CHANGE MAP Fatal Signal caught: SIGSEGV. Bailing out.
Uninitialising DirectDraw... (...)

And here the download link for the mod : http://bloodclaw7.titaniumpak.google.../d3d_ASmod.zip

I think there is something bad in the "AS.CON", but I didn't find anything.

Thanks for any reply
Old 10-17-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
TerminX

I don't find your original thread title to be a proper description of your problem, so I've taken the liberty of changing it to something more accurate. You might want to brush up on your gamevar usage... the mere fact that you have errors dumped to the console during the game should tell you that you're doing something wrong.
Last edited by TerminX; 10-17-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
DeeperThought

Re: Eduke32 : crash caused by bad CON files
IIRC you can get that "invalid player" error message if you set a per-player var in EVENT_ENTERLEVEL without specifying which player it belongs to (i.e. using setvar ). Try creating an initialization state called from the APLAYER code that resets the vars. The var errors may have nothing to do with the crash, though.

DUKE NUKEM: ATTRITION
XP based weapon upgrades, progressive difficulty, and more.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #4
Xavier

OpenAL strikes again "Fatal Signal caught: SIGSEGV. Bailing out."

I always hated openal, since ive worked with it before, back then [and maybe still] there was a hardcoded cap for like maxvoices at like 16 or so... dunno if thats still there, but seems like it. Cause ogg ingame music stops sometimes when not too many sounds play, and openal ignores the maxvoice limit set in .cfg...

Im getting carried away anyways, once a few days ago i got getting 'Fatal Signal caught: SIGSEGV. Bailing out.' and it did it everytime i started duke it would crash with that.
I just rebooted and it stopped, havent seen it since, dont know what causes it wasnt in other games i messed with though, try rebooting hope it works .

Im sure thats why it crashes but yeah, theres alot of var con errors there im not much into that .con stuff though.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #5
Mblackwell

Then why are you posting in this thread, and posting completely incorrect and unrelated information as well?
I want it to be free, I want it to be true

Eduke32.com : The Rejected Applications : The Meadhall of the Comitatus
Old 10-18-2007, 03:54 AM   #6
Xavier

Did you read the log the guy posted, it crashed at the end with "Fatal Signal caught: SIGSEGV. Bailing out." , that so far as i can tell only happens with the new music eduke32.exe and OpenAL.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:05 AM   #7
Hunter_rus

About "Fatal Signal caught: SIGSEGV. Bailing out."
This happens when a program is trying to read/write something to wrong memory location. There may be many reasons of that message.

About the crash.
Here is a bug in CON(OpenAL has nothing to do with this crash).
To fix the crash:
Code:
gamevar TEMP 0 3
gamevar TEMP 0 1
You'd better not use the TEMP variable as storage and make it global.
But it seems it doesn't work properly anyway because of wrong usage of the variables. See DeeperThought's post(Don't use peractor variables in the events[for exception EVENT_GAME, etc]).
Last edited by Hunter_rus; 10-18-2007 at 09:46 AM. Reason: fixed some mistakes
Old 10-18-2007, 07:06 AM   #8
Bloodclaw
Thank for your replys, I will fix everything soon.

The crash was because of the TEMP var (thanks to Hunter_rus) with a flag of 3 (that should be per-player + per-actor variable, but the player is an actor, so instead of 3 it must be a 2)
Last edited by Bloodclaw; 10-18-2007 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #9
TerminX

Ha, yeah, that would do it... a var is either per-player OR per-actor, not both.