Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Modifications
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-04-2007, 11:12 AM   #121
Altered Reality

Re: DukeKart
Wow! I'd just LOVE to see an HRP of this!
Old 05-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #122
Bonesnapper

Maybe the octabrain's eyes could be blue?
Old 05-04-2007, 02:55 PM   #123
Rellik66

Either color the UFO entirely blue(there is a white and grey variant of the blue palette), add a blue racing stripe or put a blue license plate on the UFO. heh.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:18 PM   #124
Micki!

Parkar has got a good point, with the engine being on the back...
Old 05-05-2007, 11:11 AM   #125
Commando Nukem

Smile Re: DukeKart
Currently working on a map. Night Time City in the veign of Hollywood Holocaust and Red Light District. (With a few set piece type nods.)

This is my first map in quite awhile (Ever since RRTS to be exact, damn you harddrive!)

I'll post some pictures throughout the day as I progress.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:13 PM   #126
Carger2000
Man I'm seriously impressed with those sprites Kev. Incredible stuff.

The mod itself has loads of potential. I tried to do a kart TC for SW once but ran into problems with the maximum sector size. (the karts themselves were good fun with really slidey steering around corners).

You could have slimers dropped by octabrain's and have them block your vision (like regular), the green gooey stuff to slow you down, speed up pads,
kamikaze tracks with dangerous shortcuts filled with turrets..
With some well-positioned camera's you could have some great replays as well.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #127
eyceguy

wow been gone a few days an load of comments!

my internet has been kinda shaky the past few days with no real explanation ergo the lack of activity by me. maybe expect more? i dunno.

as for the bug, yeah i know they're there
in addition to the bots spazing out on the second and subsequent laps i've noticed these errors randomly at times.
-a bot will stay still after hitting a pipebomb or rocket
-a bot will 'vulture circle' a certain waypoint
----i thought i fixed this with the sleeping waypoints, but it still randomly shows

Kev,
as for extra frames for animation, it think its easily doable and i'll start on getting it to work
Old 05-05-2007, 04:59 PM   #128
Commando Nukem

Here are some pictures from "Nuclear Cruise"(Working title only ).

For about five hours worth of work im pretty happy with it. Its playable, but as has been discovered the bots tend to flake out.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:15 PM   #129
Telee

Nice I'm working on a map as well - it was going to be a level similiar to Speedtrax, with some green plains and a tunnel. I think it may be corrupted though (even though I didn't do anything that could cause this) so I'm starting another map - an arctic map. Screens coming soon (hopefully no more problems will come )

Sorry for the problems by the way, Eyceguy.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #130
Steve

"Nuclear Cruise" - love the title!
Old 05-06-2007, 02:20 AM   #131
Micki!

I thought about something...

If hit by a rocket, or some explosive, it would be VERY cool if the Kart that's being hit would react the same way as when getting hit by Turtle-Shells in MarioKart 64

That is (when getting hit); a vertical jump in the air, some smoke coming out of the poor player (just for cool visual effect) and he'd be spinning around in the air... when landing the kart bounces on the ground softly about 2 times before being able to drive any further...

Especially the part about spinning aroun d the air would be extremely cool, but it would probably require additional sprites..? or can the current ones simply be pitched in all directions for this effect..?

That's a cool looking level btw...
One of the levels should be through the inside of DukeBurger too (maybe not the whole level, but at least part of it, would be nice)
Old 05-06-2007, 08:03 AM   #132
Bonesnapper

All you have to do is apply a spin affect in the cons. Its pretty easy to do.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:58 AM   #133
Micki!

Phew... then it's no big deal to do i guess... An effect like this would be really awesome...
Old 05-08-2007, 11:41 AM   #134
Dopefish7590

im working on a map too rooftop revenge

ill post some screens when i have the time and the level has been made farther then its current state (only have 4 builings a few ramps, a few long jumps, and a few other things (crane for instance )
Old 05-09-2007, 12:11 AM   #135
oak man

I'd like to make a map or two for this? must I DL stuff?

>>My flickr page<<
Old 05-09-2007, 01:27 AM   #136
Commando Nukem

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak man View Post
I'd like to make a map or two for this? must I DL stuff?
http://www.freewebtown.com/eyceguy/

Need the dev pack.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:34 AM   #137
Micki!

I had an idea for another powerup...
That is, the HoloDuke

Players activate it, and two "holograms" of whatever player you are controlling, will pop up on each of your sides (maybe spinning around you)
These holograms will attract and trigger any offensive powerups that hit you before without you getting slowed down... You could basicly call it a shield

Maybe it's too superior, so there should maybe be a slight chance for the player himself being hit by a powerup, despite having Holograms active

It's almost like the green and read shields in MarioKart... just, that you can't use the holograms as projectiles, and that there is only two, and not three
Old 05-10-2007, 08:12 PM   #138
Telee

Okay, I need to ask some questions...

1.) Builders - what theme are you doing?
2.) Eyceguy - is it okay if some of us have the same theme? I've been working on a desert map - ready to post some early screens soon, but I don't want to get too far in the map if someone else is doing this theme.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:14 PM   #139
Commando Nukem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telee View Post

2.) Eyceguy - is it okay if some of us have the same theme? I've been working on a desert map - ready to post some early screens soon, but I don't want to get too far in the map if someone else is doing this theme.
I got my city one ready for playing. I was thinking of doing a space one too. I don't think anyone else is doing a desert one so you should be okay there.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:18 AM   #140
Skunk

Hey... I want in on this... too bad I haven't done anything particularly Duke related since... I was a freshman. So that would make... seven or eight years.

This is pretty cool that people are ACTUALLY doing stuff on a project. You never see that. O_O
Old 05-11-2007, 12:48 PM   #141
Iggy

Quote:

I wouldn't mind trying to make a track in a desolated village style surrounded by nature. I got the next week off and my own Sewerside map is put on hold for the next century.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:54 PM   #142
Hendricks266

I'm planning to make a simple “0” shape track in the vein of Baby Park for Mario Kart: Double Dash and Mario Kart DS. Is it possible to change the number of laps from three to five, as Baby Park did? It would be nice if we could set the number of laps (preferably 2-6) in the map with a special effector.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:46 PM   #143
oak man

Quote:

I'm making a space station.

>>My flickr page<<
Old 05-11-2007, 08:21 PM   #144
DavoX

God i want to make a map for this, :P, Is the game suppossed to have laps or something?
Old 05-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #145
Telee

Damnit! Sorry for swearing, but my map is corrupt. Again. Sigh.

Anyway, this is the short work I managed to do on a Stadium level before mapster decided to screw itself. It isn't much, but it'll show you what to expect (with improvements, of course - I just have to rebuild the map again before I can improve...)

Old 05-11-2007, 10:33 PM   #146
oak man

That looks super nice

>>My flickr page<<
Old 05-11-2007, 10:37 PM   #147
Telee

Ah woops, already noticed a mistake

Thanks Oakman - it basically just shows the basics. More to come once I get a stable map again...

EDIT: And before anybody asks - that mish-mash of colored pixels is the audience.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:05 PM   #148
8IronBob

Hah, sa-weet! Hopefully you can do a WangKart next, at least in SW, you can actually DRIVE the car yourself.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:42 PM   #149
DavoX

Telee why are your maps always corrupting? there must be something you don't get about build that makes it happen, maybe the way the sectors should be drawn?
Old 05-12-2007, 10:10 AM   #150
Telee

I didn't do anything that could corrupt it. As far as I know the only way to corrupt a map is if you draw a sector all screwed up or delete a sector point-by-point. I didn't do any of that
Old 05-12-2007, 10:13 AM   #151
Sang

Nice kart but it's like the Battlelord has no legs.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:28 PM   #152
Bonesnapper

Telee, you are doing something wrong. Map corruption only happens when you try doing something crazy, or you do something wrong. And from the simplicity of the above map, Im sure we can all assume what happened.

5-10 minutes of work in Mapster (Screens are brightened)

Last edited by Bonesnapper; 05-12-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:02 PM   #153
DavoX

Telee, maps can be corrupted in many other ways, for example, overlapping sectors, building a sector OUTSIDE of a mini sector (never do that). You always should build the outside sector first and THEN the sector inside.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #154
Telee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesnapper View Post
Telee, you are doing something wrong. Map corruption only happens when you try doing something crazy, or you do something wrong. And from the simplicity of the above map, Im sure we can all assume what happened.
If you bothered reading my post fully you would have seen that I said "short work". There's no point in detailing a corrupt map - that's just pointless.

I didn't do anything wrong from what I've seen. Lines aren't crossing over each other, I never deleted any sectors - I have no idea why it did what it did. It might just be a graphical glitch with mapster - dunno, but the map doesn't crash and it loads as normal in Duke.

And I highly doubt that map you just did was 5 - 10 minutes - not to say that it would take an hour but unless you already had it planned out that took longer than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoX
Telee, maps can be corrupted in many other ways, for example, overlapping sectors, building a sector OUTSIDE of a mini sector (never do that). You always should build the outside sector first and THEN the sector inside.
Yeah, I kept that in mind. What's really strange is when I started the map I build a large square, and made a smaller square in it to form the border of the map, but when I went into 3D Mode it was screwed up. When I made it smaller, however, it was perfectly fine.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:22 PM   #155
Hendricks266

I also have done a Stadium level, however, it is much more like E3L9. It is a simple “0” shape, but there is a cleverly designed trap in the middle that (I hope) won't screw with the lap counter. Some screens:

the Start\Finish Line:
TStdm_01_Start.jpg

a view of the middle:
TStdm_02_View.jpg

the halfway point with items:
TStdm_03_HalfItems.jpg

(continued below)
Last edited by Hendricks266; 05-12-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:24 PM   #156
Telee

Oh, mine is much different than that - it's similiar to Speedtrax's E1L1.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:24 PM   #157
Iggy

Quote:
Yeah, I kept that in mind. What's really strange is when I started the map I build a large square, and made a smaller square in it to form the border of the map, but when I went into 3D Mode it was screwed up.
If you mean by that that you have drawn something directly like below;

then problems such as graphical glitches can certainly arise. Also possible to occur when sectors are too large or walls are too long.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:25 PM   #158
Telee

Yes, that's what I drew. Lots of other maps have done that though and encountered no problems.

I'll cut the sectors up a bit
Old 05-12-2007, 01:28 PM   #159
Hendricks266

(continued from post above)

the trap:

a close-up of the trap: (ignore the glitchy skybox, it'll be fine in-game)
TStdm_05_TrapClose.jpg

2D Mode View: (there is a small bit left out)
TStdm_06_2DMode.gif

I still have a little bit of detailing to do, so no release right now.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:38 PM   #160
Bonesnapper

Quote:
And I highly doubt that map you just did was 5 - 10 minutes - not to say that it would take an hour but unless you already had it planned out that took longer than that.
believe what you will, but I stand by my statement. I have been mapping for a long time. I mean, Zaxtor could spit out huge maps in a days time.

And also, I said, since the map was simple, THEREFOR you didnt try to build anything advanced which would have messed it up. Which means you made a simple mistake.