Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
omega_supreme
How many different Apogee mail order boxes
I have a number of different Apogee boxes in my collection. I mean the generic ones that where used dor mail orders. I noticed that over the time they where used, the printing changed (some radical some just minor like a screenshot). The picture below shows the kinds I have:

Full size

The most notable difference I can see is the slogan on the front. The earliest one says: Apogee, the heigth of gaming excitement. The second one has Apogee means action on it and the last one is completely different with the 3DRealms logo on the other side. Does anybody know how many different designs are out there? I would like to know out of curiosity and of course to see if there is anyting out there I am missing in my collection. Hopefully someone knows more about this subject.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
Jeffpiatt

Re: How many different Apogee mail order boxes
I don't think past the early 90's apogee put out color boxes. in the 80's apogee games were more than likely shipped in ziplock bags with the manual sheet. apogee also shipped games in portfolios with the game title on the cover with the manual art or a screen shot of the game you ordered and the back was an ad for additional apogee titles.
the oldest you have is the "height of gaming excitement" box, mid 90's is the "apogee means action" box the last version of the box was the dual brand box that came in to use when the 3DR brand was started.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
omega_supreme
So you think these three are the only variants out there? The one in the middle contains Rise of the Triad. This is what made me so curious as I though the mail order boxes where no longer used then (since retail boxes where widely available for ROTT). The 3drealms one is even later like you say, there is even a screenshot from shadow warrior on there. I wonder if Apogee still did mail orders at the time of Duke NUkem 3D and Shadow Warrior.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
Jeffpiatt

They did the dual brand box would have been what they shipped in if they were not packed in to the retail boxes. apogee did mail order until May 8, 2009 when apogee downsized. Duke 3d and SW shipped in the retail boxes until those boxes went out of print then they probably went in to a generic box. Shareware orders always went in to one of those boxes during the 90's duke nukem 3d was the first title to ship in a retail box rather than a generic one. the boxes were for those of us who kept software boxes on bookshelves for storage it is a handy place to keep manuals with floppys. joe may be better at clearing this up.
here is a image of the plastic folders apogee used to put out
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/wo...overId,125769/
Last edited by Jeffpiatt; 12-21-2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: added a picture
Old 12-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

We only made two versions of that box.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 12-22-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
MrBlackCat

The only one I have is the old 3D Realms Box that Duke Nukem came in... it was a generic black box with screenshots on the side of the box. It had Duke Nukem, Rise of the Triad, and other games shown on the sides... but it appeals to me greatly because I bought it from 3D Realms and it has a screenshot of a game called Ruins.
Ruins has it own simple history but was never released under that name. It became Exhumed (European Release) and Power Slave (US release). Power Slave was very popular for the Sega Saturn system. In the late 90's I learned why Ruins never came out and started looking for Power Slave for the PC... Some time in 2003 I found a copy of Exhumed and got that, but it took about 8 years to find a boxed copy of Power Slave for the PC. To me, Power Slave is one of the most obscure "Full" games on the 3D Realms/Ken Silverman Build Engine.
Ok... end of ramble.
So I only have the one 3D Realms box as best I can remember.

MrBlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
:)
Old 12-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
omega_supreme
Thanks for the information guys, never encountered another version so I suspected that these two/three are the only ones. I also noticed the slogan from Apogee changed not only on the box but also in the intro's, such cool details. Most of the current game intro's are just annoying.

MrBlackCat,
I agree that PoweSlave is a very elusive game, not often seen at all. About 1/2 a year ago, a boxed copy was available on ebay and went for only $25 (+/-). I was not looking for it then and let is pass (maybe not the smartest move). Exhumed on the other hand, I never encountered myself.

The black box you mention is the one on the far right in my picture right? It has the 3DRealms logo on the back and screenshots on the side (mostly games based on the build engine I think). Never noticed PowerSlave which is most interesting. I will have a look at it again tomorrow.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
MrBlackCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega_supreme View Post
Thanks for the information guys, never encountered another version so I suspected that these two/three are the only ones. I also noticed the slogan from Apogee changed not only on the box but also in the intro's, such cool details. Most of the current game intro's are just annoying.

MrBlackCat,
I agree that PoweSlave is a very elusive game, not often seen at all. About 1/2 a year ago, a boxed copy was available on ebay and went for only $25 (+/-). I was not looking for it then and let is pass (maybe not the smartest move). Exhumed on the other hand, I never encountered myself.

The black box you mention is the one on the far right in my picture right? It has the 3DRealms logo on the back and screenshots on the side (mostly games based on the build engine I think). Never noticed PowerSlave which is most interesting. I will have a look at it again tomorrow.
Yep... that Power Slave on eBay is the one I bought. I put a really high bid on it (over $500) just in case someone saw it who really knew what it was.

Exhumed is available from time to time, almost always from Europe. It runs about $25. I have not seen it in a few months though for the PC. There are several for Sega Saturn and PS1 (PAL format) in completed auctions on eBay if you look there.
I can't find my Black Box right now. (dug around for a while) I think it is the same as that one... on the sides mine has mostly 3D games, yes.

I am going to keep checking back to see if someone turns up with more versions of the boxes...

MrBlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
Old 12-26-2009, 06:07 AM   #9
omega_supreme
I just looked the box up again and scanned both sides. Those screenshots are amazing. A lot of the material seems to
be from beta stage games. Duke's shrink weapon is now green and the Shadow Warrior screenshot it not familiar at all.
Never saw that weapon and the boss neither.

Left:

Right:
Old 12-26-2009, 06:16 AM   #10
Iggy

Darn, I would love to have one of those boxes one day. Maybe a copy will pop up on eBay in due time.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:10 AM   #11
MrBlackCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega_supreme View Post
I just looked the box up again and scanned both sides. Those screenshots are amazing. A lot of the material seems to
be from beta stage games. Duke's shrink weapon is now green and the Shadow Warrior screenshot it not familiar at all.
Never saw that weapon and the boss neither.

Left:

Right:
Exactly... to me this box is one of my favorites due to the early stages the shots must have come from. But for me, the most unique of the shots is Ruins because it is the only one on the box that never came out... at least under that name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Darn, I would love to have one of those boxes one day. Maybe a copy will pop up on eBay in due time.
I don't think I have ever seen one of these on... well anywhere. I got mine direct from Apogee/3D Realms WAY back. Mine was Duke Nukem 3D. I had no idea back then what it would become in my collection.

There is an even more rare box not from Apogee though. Amazon at one point offered PS1 Time to Kill with a Duke Nukem action figure together in a custom box. My box was destroyed (along with most of my boxes) in 1999. I have never seen this box set anywhere since and never known anyone else who even saw or remembered it. I honestly don't remember it being particularly interesting, but it was pretty uncommon in the game world in my opinion.
I would pay a great price to have this item back in my collection.

MrBlackCat

Old 12-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
Jeffpiatt

The sw pic is from the beta edition as is the bulk of the 3dr images the apogee side also has a beta pic on it as raveger never came out. with the timing for box printing scott had to add beta shots to keep the box current longer.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #13
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffpiatt View Post
The sw pic is from the beta edition as is the bulk of the 3dr images the apogee side also has a beta pic on it as raveger never came out. with the timing for box printing scott had to add beta shots to keep the box current longer.
Ravager ended up coming out - but not from us. I forget what the name of the released game was, though.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 12-26-2009, 07:06 PM   #14
Frenkel

Softdisk released Ravager as Alien Rampage. Scott Miller is thanked in the credits.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #15
MrBlackCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenkel View Post
Softdisk released Ravager as Alien Rampage. Scott Miller is thanked in the credits.
I never knew that... interesting. Was the shareware (if any) ever released as Ravager? I thought I had downloaded Ravager shareware at some point.

MrBlackCat