Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Non 3DR Game Discussion
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
K100

K100's Avatar
ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Huuuum

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/...ently-official

Can't wait !
K100 is offline  
Old 08-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
dan2091

dan2091's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Woooow.... Now, is this being released over the Apogee or 3D Realms label ? Anyway, awesome news .
__________________
J'etais parti ce matin au bois. Pour toi, mon amour, por toi... -Barbara
dan2091 is offline  
Old 08-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Nihilanth

Nihilanth's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
I've seen bits of a trailer few minutes ago. Couldn't see much on the stream though.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Trailer!
__________________
We were standing on the edge of discovery
2014: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
2015: SOMA
Nihilanth is offline  
Old 08-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
K100

K100's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Wow it's awesome !

Also:

https://p.twimg.com/AzUcBEHCEAA0n0W.jpg

Dopefish
K100 is offline  
Old 08-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Kristian Joensen

Kristian Joensen's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2091 View Post
Woooow.... Now, is this being released over the Apogee or 3D Realms label ? Anyway, awesome news .

It is the new Apogee that is publishing this.
Kristian Joensen is offline  
Old 08-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
K100

K100's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!


Excalibat + gibs

K100 is offline  
Old 08-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
hellchicken
Guest
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Interesting.

Old school action with new tech? Bring it on, RotT, and succeed where DNF failed.

Please.
 
Old 08-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
ScrewingUpMyRide

ScrewingUpMyRide's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
I've always wanted a ROTT sequel, this is awesome news! Looks like ludicrous fun.

Edit:

Here's some livestream videos of the ROTT announcement.

https://new.livestream.com/quakecon/QC2012
Last edited by ScrewingUpMyRide; 08-02-2012 at 04:04 PM.
ScrewingUpMyRide is offline  
Old 08-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
DragonsLover

DragonsLover's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
God, there will have a remake of that awesome game?

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhi-7lj7osI

EDIT: Nevermind. Didn't see Nihilanth posted it.
__________________
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...
Last edited by DragonsLover; 08-02-2012 at 03:45 PM.
DragonsLover is offline  
Old 08-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
K100

K100's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Hey look who are back !





More screenshots and artworks here:
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2012/0...-de-retour.htm
K100 is offline  
Old 08-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
Rapture_Rising

Rapture_Rising's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Oh dear god i think i just came...

Seriously, i have been waiting for a ROTT remake for years now, probably longer then waiting for DNF.

Looks good, i cant wait to play it.
__________________
Here we go folks... The rarest creature in nature... The Duketard. I will now approach him very quitely and... Jam my thumb in his butt hole. That should REALLY piss him off!.
Rapture_Rising is offline  
Old 08-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #12
ZuljinRaynor

ZuljinRaynor's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Looks like a mod.
__________________
My vision is augmented.
ZuljinRaynor is offline  
Old 08-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
MrFlibble

MrFlibble's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Here are some gameplay videos:
Excalibat Rise of the Triad Gameplay Video
Ownage in Rise of the Triad Multiplayer Gameplay Video
Fire is Hot Really Hot: Rise of the Triad Gameplay

Although I'm glad this is announced, I'm not very impressed by what was done with the soundtrack. Also, the videos show one map so far, I hope there will be a diversity of environments, like in the original game
__________________
It's time to go retro and play old games. Come get some!
MrFlibble is offline  
Old 08-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Damien_Azreal's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
I hope to god the entire game is not so dark and drab.
If it is, even for 15 bucks, I wouldn't bother. I'm tired of "dark and gritty" Unreal Engine powered games.

Give them some light, make them bright and engaging.
__________________
Monolith Fanboy since 1997

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Damien_Azreal is offline  
Old 08-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #15
Johnnien
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Interview with Fredrick and Terry at Quakecon 2012
Last edited by Johnnien; 08-04-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Johnnien is offline  
Old 08-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #16
Rapture_Rising

Rapture_Rising's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
I suppose the answer to the criticisms is that the game is still in a pre alpha stage and there is a lot more work to do.

The game was only revealed two days ago, we cant expect them to show off a whole lot at this time, maybe we will see a bit more when the time comes closer.
__________________
Here we go folks... The rarest creature in nature... The Duketard. I will now approach him very quitely and... Jam my thumb in his butt hole. That should REALLY piss him off!.
Rapture_Rising is offline  
Old 08-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #17
Darkman 4
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture_Rising View Post
I suppose the answer to the criticisms is that the game is still in a pre alpha stage and there is a lot more work to do.

The game was only revealed two days ago, we cant expect them to show off a whole lot at this time, maybe we will see a bit more when the time comes closer.
The game's around 55% complete. You can see several UDK placeholders (like the HUD font) in demo videos, so they're not even close to complete yet. Honestly, I'd be surprised if it came out in 2012 period.
Darkman 4 is offline  
Old 08-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #18
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Damien_Azreal's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
You can't put a percentage on how far along they are just because there are place holders in the video.
I've seen games have placeholders in up until the last few days of a development cycle.
So you can't judge how far along they are, or how close they are to completion.
__________________
Monolith Fanboy since 1997

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Damien_Azreal is offline  
Old 08-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #19
Rapture_Rising

Rapture_Rising's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
I hope to god the entire game is not so dark and drab.
If it is, even for 15 bucks, I wouldn't bother. I'm tired of "dark and gritty" Unreal Engine powered games.

Give them some light, make them bright and engaging.
It looks more like a video Gamespot shot at QuakeCon then something that has been officially released.

I know what you mean, some variety would be awesome, just have to wait and see, i personally can wait.
__________________
Here we go folks... The rarest creature in nature... The Duketard. I will now approach him very quitely and... Jam my thumb in his butt hole. That should REALLY piss him off!.
Rapture_Rising is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 05:12 AM   #20
Kristian Joensen

Kristian Joensen's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman 4 View Post
The game's around 55% complete. You can see several UDK placeholders (like the HUD font) in demo videos, so they're not even close to complete yet. Honestly, I'd be surprised if it came out in 2012 period.
Seeing as how the official release date is early 2013, I too would be very surprised in that case.

Edit:

[nitpickmode]That is not a UDK placeholder you are seeing, the game is done using a regular UE3 license not the UDK [/nitpickmode]
Kristian Joensen is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #21
K100

K100's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
You can't put a percentage on how far along they are just because there are place holders in the video.
"Right now Triad doesn't have a firm release date but it's roughly 55% complete and aiming for later this year."

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/rise-of-...1225624p1.html
K100 is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #22
K100

K100's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Rise of the Triad (2012) - Going Down the Fast Way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jkDR9ca9f0
K100 is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #23
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Damien_Azreal's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Quote:
Originally Posted by K100 View Post
"Right now Triad doesn't have a firm release date but it's roughly 55% complete and aiming for later this year."

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/rise-of-...1225624p1.html
Supplying a link is nice. But, my main point with his post was the trying to say how far along they were or how long it would be because placeholders are in... is pointless.
__________________
Monolith Fanboy since 1997

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Damien_Azreal is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #24
Rapture_Rising

Rapture_Rising's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Quote:
Originally Posted by K100 View Post
Rise of the Triad (2012) - Going Down the Fast Way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jkDR9ca9f0
Here is the mp3 version if anyone wants it.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zbsdaan01s7dn9j
__________________
Here we go folks... The rarest creature in nature... The Duketard. I will now approach him very quitely and... Jam my thumb in his butt hole. That should REALLY piss him off!.
Rapture_Rising is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 12:32 AM   #25
Nihilanth

Nihilanth's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
The fact that they didn't revisit the centerpiece of the track (00:41 - 01:20) at the end like the original one did, ruined it for me.
__________________
We were standing on the edge of discovery
2014: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
2015: SOMA
Nihilanth is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 02:15 AM   #26
pjVgt

pjVgt's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
I have really serious doubts about this game - mostly because it is done by Fresch. I have nothing against him - he was working on DN3DR I haven't seen all videos yet but like Reloaded new ROTT I see very little AI, very simple enemy movement, little interaction with the enviroment, game has strange "dead" feeling into it. Old ROTT was this outlandish abnoxious crazy game - this seems like RCTW with bit funnier weapons.

I know game is somethin like 55% complete (I believe it is even less) but I worry about programming side of it. I worry they won't be able to complete the game. I worry they will either wear off or Scott will just pull the plug.

But really I would prefer to remake Shadow Warrior - game much better than Duke Nukem, harder, faster, funnier and whackier. Or remake Wacky Wheels - Mario Karts suck my cucumber
__________________
"Imma want my dukemz to pley!!!" - chaosomega
pjVgt is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 03:15 AM   #27
Crosma

Crosma's Avatar
Exclamation Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Ok, this is the best news for a while. Just hope that it's silly enough to be a worthy successor.
__________________
(define love (lambda () (map conquer all)))
Crosma is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #28
ZuljinRaynor

ZuljinRaynor's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjVgt View Post
[...]this seems like RCTW with bit funnier weapons.
Except ROTT was more colorful and diverse. This is just another dark and gritty game like a lot of UE3 games. This really looks like UT3 SP Part Two.

And fresch being behind it makes that not surprising. His previous remake mods (Daikatana, SiN, Duke Nukem 3D) were all dark and gritty "realism" attempts. But the texture work and lighting always looked awful.
__________________
My vision is augmented.
ZuljinRaynor is offline  
Old 08-07-2012, 03:50 AM   #29
KO Gilligan

KO Gilligan's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Turn your brightness up and deal with it. It's inevitabe that it will be dark and gritty.

I'd bet it's going to be alot better than some of the games you've played over the last couple years - I'm thinking it'll look a bit like Painkiller.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjVgt View Post
I know game is somethin like 55% complete (I believe it is even less) but I worry about programming side of it. I worry they won't be able to complete the game. I worry they will either wear off or Scott will just pull the plug.
This is my biggest worry - a new entry into the vaporware awards. Who's money is driving this thing, and what's the likelyhood they have enough to go all the way without doing an 11th hour pitch to Take2 or something?
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 08-07-2012 at 03:48 AM.
KO Gilligan is offline  
Old 08-07-2012, 03:59 AM   #30
Rapture_Rising

Rapture_Rising's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
This is my biggest worry - a new entry into the vaporware awards. Who's money is driving this thing, and what's the likelyhood they have enough to go all the way without doing an 11th hour pitch to Take2 or something?
That is good question, my guess would be Apogee Software considering that they are the publishers but where did they get the money? its not like Apogee would be rolling in money, i think the only games they have released is the Apogee legacy pack on GOG, iPhone port of ROTT and DN: Critical Mass.

Im also guessing that they also have a few private investors who will get a cut in the profits when released.

As for me personally, i dont care what it looks like, dark and gritty or sunshine and rainbows, i will be buying it.
__________________
Here we go folks... The rarest creature in nature... The Duketard. I will now approach him very quitely and... Jam my thumb in his butt hole. That should REALLY piss him off!.
Rapture_Rising is offline  
Old 08-07-2012, 05:28 AM   #31
ZuljinRaynor

ZuljinRaynor's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
Turn your brightness up and deal with it. It's inevitabe that it will be dark and gritty.

I'd bet it's going to be alot better than some of the games you've played over the last couple years - I'm thinking it'll look a bit like Painkiller.
Yeah, Rise of the Triad was dark and gritty. The original ran the gamut from dark and dim (and boring) to colorful and bright. Or did you not play Rise of the Triad? I didn't have to adjust my brightness at all. The only reason it is inevitable, as you say, is because fresch's vision calls for dark and gritty; just like how Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded was supposed to be dark and gritty and that is what made it look awful.

I have a felling it is going to be one of the worst games I've played over the last few years because 1) UT3 sucked and this looks like it plays like UT3, 2) Painkiller wasn't fun for me at all, rather it was dull and boring and nothing like classic FPS games, in fact I think Painkiller is an overrated pile of garbage, and 3) a project run by fresch is destined for failure like the previous attempts (all of which looked terrible).
__________________
My vision is augmented.
ZuljinRaynor is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 01:36 AM   #32
KO Gilligan

KO Gilligan's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
Yeah, Rise of the Triad was dark and gritty. The original ran the gamut from dark and dim (and boring) to colorful and bright. Or did you not play Rise of the Triad? I didn't have to adjust my brightness at all. The only reason it is inevitable, as you say, is because fresch's vision calls for dark and gritty; just like how Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded was supposed to be dark and gritty and that is what made it look awful.

I have a felling it is going to be one of the worst games I've played over the last few years because 1) UT3 sucked and this looks like it plays like UT3, 2) Painkiller wasn't fun for me at all, rather it was dull and boring and nothing like classic FPS games, in fact I think Painkiller is an overrated pile of garbage, and 3) a project run by fresch is destined for failure like the previous attempts (all of which looked terrible).
LOL - no it was not dark. It's been a long time, but I was the one who started this thread because I loved ROTT. Joe voted for ROTT.

SHADOW WARRIOR 2 vs RETURN OF THE TRIAD
(It's a great thread, looking back now that it's happening)

Yea - I'm hoping it'll be more innovative and flashy than Painkiller, which was rather mediocre, a bit dark, and definitely gritty, and the iconic imagery seems like a gimmick rather than a well thought out environment.

I kinda expect similar from ROTT - but that's alright, if they have a single weapon that's as fun as the stake gun, I'll be giddy like a school girl.

In fact, just thinking about it makes me want to run through a few PK levels right now


So I'm not expecting it to have those great mazes, and any notable innovations. But as much as I love ROTT for those designs, I'd still rather play a new version, and see the story and environment done high-tech than play the old game.



................................................
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
ROTT wins because of this:
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 08-08-2012 at 01:44 AM.
KO Gilligan is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #33
ZuljinRaynor

ZuljinRaynor's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
LOL - no it was not dark.
Exactly, so why is the new one? (Also ROTT did have a few pretty dark levels. But it was like 3 or 4 tops).

And what is the point of the other quote? Everything I said about ROTT there I meant. After replaying it, however, my nostalgia for it has worn off. Shareware game is great, but the full game gets worse with each episode.

Also, when I wanted ROTT2, I was expecting it from 3DR; not from the mod team that was working on Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded. That I am not interested in.
__________________
My vision is augmented.
ZuljinRaynor is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #34
KO Gilligan

KO Gilligan's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
I quoted it because it was really funny.

and the other stuff, I agree with you... except for the nostalgia part - I forgot how cool the game was until I replayed it. The nostalgia wears off for me when I'm looking at 640x480 block decor on a flat wall of sprites.

We haven't seen much, but the concensus is ... dark and gritty. I'm going to try and look on the bright side and hope for some cool weapons or something - I suppose we'll have plenty of time to highlight what's not RoTT about RoTT 2 when it finally comes.
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 08-08-2012 at 11:08 AM.
KO Gilligan is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #35
ZuljinRaynor

ZuljinRaynor's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
I wish the MP40 looked like an MP40.
__________________
My vision is augmented.
ZuljinRaynor is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #36
MrFlibble

MrFlibble's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjVgt View Post
this seems like RCTW with bit funnier weapons.
Yeah, RTCW came to my mind as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
We haven't seen much, but the concensus is ... dark and gritty.
What I really like about the original game is that, in fact, the levels are pretty diverse in their atmosphere. There are outdoor environments with dark skies and lightnings, and then there's gloomy daylight coming through thick fog; the indoor dungeons are also rather different. I'm hoping that the new game will also have a certain diversity of environments.

However I must say I've got a feeling that I generally don't like how Unreal Engine 3 looks (even in the pretty cool Renegade X mod, and I'm a C&C fan).
__________________
It's time to go retro and play old games. Come get some!
MrFlibble is offline  
Old 08-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #37
KO Gilligan

KO Gilligan's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
LOL

I had to play it today just to see what all the grief is about.
Once I got the keyboard controls rigged with the A-D straffe and all the controls on my left hand, this game is fun as hell. Aiming is a little funky, but it's not like the game depends on pointing up much.

I think people forget that this was 1995. Just puts Doom to shame.

My first run was pretty amateur killed about 40 or 50. Playing the female is better for the first run because the voice is more distinc when you get hit. I died going back for some pie - not even sure what hit me, but I was on "I name my grenades" difficulty. KO Gilligan doesn't fit. I have to take the space out between O and G

KO Gilligan is offline  
Old 08-09-2012, 05:41 AM   #38
ZuljinRaynor

ZuljinRaynor's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Doesn't put Doom to shame. Doom had much better levels. Doom 2 even more so. Doom is also much faster and the health of enemies is more balanced to the guns. (Enemies in ROTT take way too long to kill with bullet weapons where it gets to the point of being a chore).
__________________
My vision is augmented.
ZuljinRaynor is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #39
MrFlibble

MrFlibble's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
Doom is also much faster and the health of enemies is more balanced to the guns. (Enemies in ROTT take way too long to kill with bullet weapons where it gets to the point of being a chore).
Well, let's not forget that ROTT uses a completely different playing mechanic with unlimited ammo for bullet weapons and limited missile weapons of which only one can be carried. It makes a great impact on the whole playing style.

And no, I don't agree with the "puts to shame" statement either. I believe that the two games are just so drastically different, comparisons are almost useless. It just so happened that Doom has come to represent the mainstream line of the genre, while ROTT can be considered a kind of an "alternative".
__________________
It's time to go retro and play old games. Come get some!
MrFlibble is offline  
Old 08-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #40
KO Gilligan

KO Gilligan's Avatar
Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
I think Doom stinks. It was about all we had at first, that's all. - and ROTT plays as fast as any of the other shooters we've been talking about. The complaint that the pistol takes a few shots to put the enemy down is irrelevent. Most of the game you can mow them all down if that's your play style. I don't like testing the walls and grunting the whole time as much as others, so perhaps that puts me in that category.
KO Gilligan is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:37 PM.

Page generated in 0.21404099 seconds (100.00% PHP - 0% MySQL) with 18 queries

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Website is 1987-2014 Apogee Software, Ltd.
Ideas and messages posted here become property of Apogee Software Ltd.