Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Non 3DR Game Discussion
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #41
DragonsLover

Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
ROTT has a style while DOOM has his own style.

In my case, I love ROTT because of his gameplay. His "ingredients" make it an addictive and fun game to play. Sure, it's perhaps not as good as today's FPS, but it has longer been a game I enjoyed playing even back when I was a kid. That's a reason why I'm helping jbailey and Birger to help their WinRottGL version.

It has things no other FPS have (or in some case, not a lot): GADs, firechutes, moving traps, squishing moving walls, lava walls that burn, jumppads... and well, combined together, it makes that game rather special, at least to me.

Shareware version is still memorable and I must agree that the original levels weren't perhaps not as good. But some of them were nice, like "The Room" or "Dead in five seconds". And the Extreme Rott levels are, indeed, extreme. There's a lot of crazy things you must deal with.

And the weapons in that game, ooooooh boy, I so enjoy them. The Firebomb is a blast, the Firewall can be messy if there's tons of enemies, muhuhahaha!!!

No, seriously, I love what Apogee did to the game, but I can understand it's not for anyone.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:55 AM   #42
evilemperorzorg

I don't get it! Why this topic isn't in Apogee/3D Realms games. It's an Apogee project isn't it?
Can't wait though!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #43
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

It's Apogee LLC. Not Apogee LTD.
This is not a 3DRealms project.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 08-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #44
evilemperorzorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
It's Apogee LLC. Not Apogee LTD.
This is not a 3DRealms project.
What I'm telling is, 3D Realms never sold Rise Of The Triad right? And they're really close with Apogee LLC. So they have to be involved somehow!
I don't get it though, no news on 3D Realms page about Rise of the Triad remake and Earth No More which is actually a 3D Realms project. Why it's such a dead place....
Old 08-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #45
MrFlibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonsLover View Post
ROTT has a style while DOOM has his own style.
Word.

Quote:
It has things no other FPS have (or in some case, not a lot): GADs, firechutes, moving traps, squishing moving walls, lava walls that burn, jumppads... and well, combined together, it makes that game rather special, at least to me.
I think one thing that is awesome about ROTT (and I think it was discussed in these forums before) is that the developers took the engine and literally pushed it beyond limits by introducing a lot of very innovative things, which, in turn, affected the gameplay. Then again, let us not forget that the creative mind of Tom Hall is behind ROTT

Another thing that is really appealing to me in ROTT is that the DIP team quite clearly enjoyed very much what they were doing, and they put a lot of personality into the game (among other things, literally by appearing themselves in the game as enemies).

There's also the brilliant soundtrack courtesy of Lee Jackson (mostly, with some tunes by Bobby Prince; the title theme is by him and is also very nice). It fits very well to the atmosphere and the pace of the game.

Quote:
No, seriously, I love what Apogee did to the game, but I can understand it's not for anyone.
I believe that the reason behind the lack of universal acknowledgement of ROTT lies in that it is so much different from the mainstream "Doom clones" that it appears unusual to many players, and consequently not everyone appreciates the peculiar style of the game. From my own experience, I can say that it takes some getting used to to fully understand and enjoy the game.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #46
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilemperorzorg View Post
What I'm telling is, 3D Realms never sold Rise Of The Triad right? And they're really close with Apogee LLC. So they have to be involved somehow!
I don't get it though, no news on 3D Realms page about Rise of the Triad remake and Earth No More which is actually a 3D Realms project. Why it's such a dead place....
Due to the legal details of allowing them to operate under the Apogee title, they are allowed to work within certain IPs licensed under the Apogee brand.

So, they can develop a new RotT without 3DRealms direct involvement.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 08-16-2012, 03:24 AM   #47
ScrewingUpMyRide

Here's the Quakecon Panel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8f5i...layer_embedded
Old 08-16-2012, 04:10 AM   #48
evilemperorzorg

Let's hope this will not end up like the Duke Nukem Trilogy
Old 08-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #49
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
I think Doom stinks. It was about all we had at first, that's all. - and ROTT plays as fast as any of the other shooters we've been talking about. The complaint that the pistol takes a few shots to put the enemy down is irrelevent. Most of the game you can mow them all down if that's your play style. I don't like testing the walls and grunting the whole time as much as others, so perhaps that puts me in that category.
The MP40 takes a ton of shots to kill enemies as well. Maybe on the lower difficulties it isn't a big deal, but it makes the game boring on Crazy Man because it is fake hard a lot of the time.

And yeah all old school shooters are actually slow paced if you aren't constantly holding run or in auto-run.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #50
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Yeah, I never had auto-run on in older games.
So to me, Blood, SW, DN3D... Heretic... none of them are "super fast paced".

But the complaints about the bullet weapons are valid. On the normal skill, or even hard... the heavy gunner guys (whatever they are actually called) that toss grenades. They are pathetic.
Sit there, hold fire with the MP40... they stand in place doing the pain animation for about ten seconds then fall over dead. If you hold the button down they can't fire back at all.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #51
ZuljinRaynor

Yeah. However, on Crazy Man they don't flinch.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #52
MrFlibble

Quote:
But the complaints about the bullet weapons are valid. On the normal skill, or even hard... the heavy gunner guys (whatever they are actually called) that toss grenades. They are pathetic.
Sit there, hold fire with the MP40... they stand in place doing the pain animation for about ten seconds then fall over dead. If you hold the button down they can't fire back at all.
They're called Triad Enforcers, and PsychedelicSA has a different opinion about that (he's playing on the highert difficulty level BTW).
Old 08-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #53
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
Yeah. However, on Crazy Man they don't flinch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble View Post
They're called Triad Enforcers, and PsychedelicSA has a different opinion about that (he's playing on the highert difficulty level BTW).
Yeah, I know on the hardest difficulty they don't do that. But... they shouldn't do that on any difficulty.
The MP40 completely nerfs the difficulty on any level other then the hardest one because it locks the enemy in place, making them do the pain animation over and over until they die.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #54
ZuljinRaynor

He is playing on Crazy Man. But on the lower difficulties they are bullet sponges that don't do much unless they get lucky.

Psychedelic Eyeball also hates the Excalibat, which I loved to use to knock back Triad Enforcer grenades.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #55
Johnnien
Some new footage released showcasing a creation time-lapse of episode 2 level 2.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #56
Nihilanth

I love the music in that clip!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #57
Drazula

This looks interesting. But that was timelapsed?! I thought all levels were built in a day.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #58
crunchy superman

Nice to see ya, Draz.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #59
Rapture_Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilanth View Post
I love the music in that clip!
According the the ROTT facebook page it was composed by Lee Jackson, iirc... didn't he compose the original ROTT soundtrack?
Old 09-01-2012, 02:25 AM   #60
Johnnien
Found an interview with Dave Oshry.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #61
Johnnien
Interceptor released som behind the scenes footage called Alpha Crunch
Old 11-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #62
Johnnien
Sorry for the tripple post, but Production Diaries - Part 1 was just released yesterday.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #63
ZuljinRaynor

I like how all the old ROTT stuff is nice and bright but the new ROTT is completely pitch black.

Also play ROTT with RUN MODE OFF. It's no longer fast paced.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #64
KO Gilligan

Quote:
I like how all the old ROTT stuff is nice and bright but the new ROTT is completely pitch black.

Also play ROTT with RUN MODE OFF. It's no longer fast paced.
Not like you can really compare games generations apart, but the game looks fun. Some of the environments are sterile concrete grey courtyards - hope half the game isn't like that.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #65
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Not like you can really compare games generations apart...
Tell that to the Duke Nukem "fans"....

And really, to me this doesn't look fun. It just looks like an UT3 mod.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #66
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Tell that to the Duke Nukem "fans"....

And really, to me this doesn't look fun. It just looks like an UT3 mod.
I don't remember comparison from the "fans" about the darkness or graphical look of the game. Some Duke things seemed a bit dated for current gen, but no real comparisons over the "look".

There's a difference between comparing graphics and expecting Duke to not be a goofy perverted tea-bagger. So if you want to bring the Duke into this - I loved the game, but I tend to side with the "fans" on that one.

You do bring up a good point though - ROTT had a combined Nazi/California Cult thing going on. Some would attribute the effort back then towards another Wolfenstein game. In any event, there was not much depth in the themes and humor - I hardly think you'll see RoTT fans worrying about keeping to canonical and thematic elements. That part looks good - and the weapons look like a hoot. It's plenty of bloody - we expected that.

I can see your point about the UT3 mod - a damn good UT3 mod perhaps...
Old 11-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #67
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I wasn't limiting my comment to graphical style, or lighting.
It was simply a snide comment directed at the fact that if people are going to try and defend RotT's reboot when it's lighting looks like Gears of Unreal Gritty Modern Tournament War... they should be consistent.

Off topic, yes DNF wasn't a top end graphical game, but anyone who thought it would be considering the age of it's engine and how long it had been worked on... was way past reaching.

On topic, it's not a matter of themes, setting or weapons. It's just that to me between the trailer, this video and the few other little snippets we've seen of it... it just doesn't look fun to me.
The weapons look overdone and overly embellished, like a desperate cry of "look at me I've got all this stuff!!"
And while the game is currently in an alpha state, and I fully get how things can and will change in this time (I've had plenty of hands on time with enough alphas and betas to know how things go)... there's so much about it that just underwhelms me.

From the terrible gore system, the horrid lighting and the fact that is just looks like UT3 with Wolfenstein. It doesn't look like something someone should have to pay for.

But, I openly admit that I'm not a RotT fan. I strongly disliked the original and found it ungodly boring and contrived. It's a mess of gameplay designs and styles and doesn't feel like a focused game.
So maybe this is just far more appealing to die hard RotT fans. But, the goal should be to appeal to those people, and draw in people who didn't enjoy the original, and those that haven't even heard of it.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #68
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Not like you can really compare games generations apart, but the game looks fun.
Doesn't mean the game has to be pitch black.

The pitch black levels in DOS ROTT sucked.

And this game is going to be an identity crisis game. They have to bill that this is a re-imaging every second they can or else it's not gonna be pretty. Hell it won't be pretty either way. Some fans ignore developers when they say they are changing things. See XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Some fans of the old game scream heresy.
Last edited by ZuljinRaynor; 11-04-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #69
KO Gilligan

Quote:

And this game is going to be an identity crisis game.
Well, that would pretty much shatter my theories about RoTT fans not worrying about the "re-imaging".

... and it's a little dark, but I'm holding off worrying about it until I actually see what playing the game feels like.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
The weapons look overdone and overly embellished, like a desperate cry of "look at me I've got all this stuff!!"
I'm a sucker for over-the-top weaponry,
Old 11-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #70
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Well, that would pretty much shatter my theories about RoTT fans not worrying about the "re-imaging".

... and it's a little dark, but I'm holding off worrying about it until I actually see what playing the game feels like.
I'm worried because it is fresch who is making it and I hated everything about Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded and felt he didn't get it so I feel he won't get ROTT either.

Plus ROTT might be that one trick pony game that only works once.

We shall see...
Old 11-11-2012, 05:01 AM   #71
Johnnien
Found another ROTT interview yesterday.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #72
KO Gilligan

I never heard it actually called "rot" until the ROTT marketing kid did in talking like he was all about the original game -Joe will probably correct me and say they called it "rot" at the studio - but we wrote it as ROTT and I think gamers and the promotion at the time prounounced the whole title. He must have been about 4 at the time. Sorry bro, I'm thinking this might be a great new game, with it's old school cool and all, but for an actual old schooler, that interview was abrasion on my ear drums...

At least he didn't call it "R"-"O"-"T"-"T" like some kind of verbalized text message.

Last edited by KO Gilligan; 11-11-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #73
Rapture_Rising

Quote:
I'm worried because it is fresch who is making it and I hated everything about Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded and felt he didn't get it so I feel he won't get ROTT either.

Plus ROTT might be that one trick pony game that only works once.

We shall see...
Isn't Joe working as a consultant on this game?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #74
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
I never heard it actually called "rot" until the ROTT marketing kid did in talking like he was all about the original game -Joe will probably correct me and say they called it "rot" at the studio - but we wrote it as ROTT and I think gamers and the promotion at the time prounounced the whole title. He must have been about 4 at the time. Sorry bro, I'm thinking this might be a great new game, with it's old school cool and all, but for an actual old schooler, that interview was abrasion on my ear drums...

At least he didn't call it "R"-"O"-"T"-"T" like some kind of verbalized text message.

I used to call it ARE OH TEE TEE because ROT made it sound like it was rotten.

Now I just call it by the full name or "Rise" if I don't want to say the full name.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #75
MrFlibble

There's some very clear evidence that it's pronounced [rot] in the official FAQ:
Quote:
[2-4]
Why RotT? Where did the idea for RotT?
To "Why RotT", Joe Siegler(Apogee's Online Support Manager) says:
"Why not? Besides, if the market is so small as to only allow
Doom, then we might as well pack up and go home now. Besides, if you
look at the list of features in ROTT, there's a lot in ROTT that can't
be done in Doom."
Old 11-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #76
ZuljinRaynor

That is funny because there are a lot of things in Doom that couldn't be done in ROTT.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #77
MrFlibble

And that, sir, is called complementary distribution
Old 11-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #78
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble View Post
There's some very clear evidence that it's pronounced [rot] in the official FAQ:
Hmmm - I just don't see it. Especially from their young marketing guy. Calling it "rot" just doesn't get the brand out there, and it sounds to me like lazy speech since I think out the words in my head, and never really think "rot". I suppose it's similar to when my my daughter says "O"-"M"-"G" (although I don't allow it). I can see the utility of spelling out the acronym, like A-T-F and K through 12, and that's very common with big words - but if he said "R"-"O"-"T"-"T", I would have wondered, "why bother" when it would only save you a nearly negligable syllable.

I'm a pretty active poster over at Give away of the Day. There are several variants in the way we write it; GAoTD, GAotD, GAOTD... But we obviously wouldn't say it "gowt-ed" or something. More importantly, if the giveaway site had a promoter, wouldn't it be in his best interest to say "Giveaway Of The Day"?

Perhaps I am over-analyzing, and there is no "proper" way. Perhaps a lot of people called it "rot", so it is common and acceptable. I still think the marketing guy should actually say the whole thing.
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 11-20-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:59 AM   #79
Ras

I always pronounced it and read it in my head as "rot." I think acronyms are usually pronounced if they resemble a word, and not if they don't. NASA is NASA, not N-A-S-A. On the other hand, the ROTC is the R-O-T-C, not the rotic or rotsy. SCUBA. LASER. N-A-A-C-P.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #80
MrFlibble

Quote:
Hmmm - I just don't see it. Especially from their young marketing guy. Calling it "rot" just doesn't get the brand out there, and it sounds to me like lazy speech since I think out the words in my head, and never really think "rot".
By "clear evidence" I meant the "Why ROTT? - Why not?" part (the answer is obviously supposed to rhyme with the question). Also, Joe wasn't just a "young marketing guy" back then, he was part of the DIP team (BTW, do you pronounce DIP like "dip" or like "D-I-P"?).

Also, there's the very informative article about the game called ROTT in Hell.