Notices

Old 09-30-2008, 02:49 AM   #761
zwieback

Re: New screenshots of DNF in Duke3D XLBA
the new screenshots have the duke3d style. i like that - and the ass
Old 09-30-2008, 02:51 AM   #762
Reaper

I know this is probably a complete 180 for me, (as compared to my teaser impressions) but for some reason the model looks great in the current shots (for the Octobrain) and the color is great (pink again!). The only issue I have is this (I think it's from the Octobrain in behind the other one in the current shots, but not sure -- taken from page 15 of the thread):

Looks like it has more effects applied to it (or it is just a shitty quality image). It looks like it's actually dripping slime, which is sooo awesome.

EDIT: It is actually the frame of a structure below the dam, not slime. Sigh. It would be so cool to see slime dripping off the Octobrains.

EDIT 2: On comparison to the teaser, the model looks identical. I guess I just didn't give it enough of a shot the first time through. That, or the light was too dark or the color wasn't in yet.

On the 1911: I'm kinda glad it's not the Desert Eagle it's been done to death and it's not really a Duke weapon in my opinion. This one looks good overall, except for the grip looks kinda shitty.

On the ass: mmm.
Last edited by Reaper; 09-30-2008 at 02:59 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:26 AM   #763
Minty

Yes the handle looks odd, like its got green slime on it. But look in the background under the handle, I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but looks like there is a large tail back there.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:27 AM   #764
ZaphodB

Found this on http://www.tommy2feathers.com/1911andothergrips.html
!! Looks like Tommy from Prey made the grips for Duke's 1911!!!!!
Old 09-30-2008, 03:27 AM   #765
X-Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnly View Post
Btw, I have to agree that those 99 screens and 2001 looked more interesting. Colors were more vibrant. They weren't suppressed like they are now. Art style have changed.

The new shot with girls in the club with lots of various lighting and it's not vivid. It's actually dull.
Totally agree with you, colour vibrancy and diversity is very important to me and in that respect the older stuff trounces the new shots.
I also think that there was a richness and sharpness to the textures (see for instance the Club and Damguide shots) that I don't see in the current screens.

I do acknowledge that they're looking better than the teaser stills, but there's a bloomy and washed-out quality to the game now that I find displeasing.

As for Lethe's argument, I think he is referring to the strange "highlight" type of lighting that I have seen earlier in UT3 screenshots - see here for an example.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:42 AM   #766
Ravey
I think the new screenshots have awesome potential, the locations they've chosen are excellent and the models are perfect for Duke Nukem Forever. They've always had great models from my perception though, so I don't know what to think.

The handgun design looks neat with the engravings, but the gun from the original '98 trailer had a much more interesting design. What really matters is how the guns feel and sound, as long as they're fun to use I have no complaints.

What I really don't want to see, is a reliance on fancy effects that hides all the detail that I want to see. As someone pointed out, the highlights look strange, the effects remind me of UT3 and that game didn't exactly impress me. I still totally want to see this game in motion, i'm not even going to bother looking past what's blatantly obvious from the screenshots...

btw, Duke looks awesome.
Last edited by Ravey; 09-30-2008 at 04:28 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:01 AM   #767
MadMac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
An alien... should fit in with the game world, set on Earth... in Vegas.

Alien... stands out, doesn't fit in with Earth. They should look different, odd and weird.
Have you ever BEEN in Vegas?
Old 09-30-2008, 04:05 AM   #768
Lt.Havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetaman View Post
Capacity wise, the 1911 and the Deagle are very basically the same, both hold in their normal configurations around 7+1 rounds of ammunition.

PS: Actually, the 357 Deagle holds 9 rounds, the deluxe version of the gun has all three cartridges, the 357, 44 and 50AE, holding 9, 8 and 7 rounds respectively, but.....the bulk of the weapon makes it very cumbersome, so the 1911 is a great choice.
Yes and yes, but there are high-cap variants of the M1911 out there that hold up to 14 rounds in a double stacked magazine.

Aslo, I like the screens, then again, people pointed out that the hair of the stripper in the bg and the screens with the Octabrains had too much edges and therefor I would like to know what happend to the anti-alising in those screens. Also, are normal map used or something else? I read the forum thred that somone else linked here, and the tone was pretty much like "DNF looks like shit". They also said they do not belive Mr.Brussard because he "lied more thne once about DNF".

So, wehn these are really ingame engine shots, then there still needs to be done a lot regarding the use of normal maps and anti-alising and all that. We dont want to see and sharp edges in the final version. Fix that or die......its simple as that. Graphics have to be good, otherwise it dosent sell, no matter what you do with the gameplay. A FPS player wants graphic, not gameplay, DNF is not a RTS game where graphics dont play a major role. Then again, Starcraft 2 could fail because of the use of a very simple graphic compared to other RT games.

The tech is there, we can use ultra high quality textures and whatnot with DX10, so use it. Crysis showed what can be done with graphics and Crysis was only the beginning.

At least fix the edges and make everything more smooth and we are set.

"Go ahead, make my Day!" "Dirty" Harry Callahan
Last edited by Lt.Havoc; 09-30-2008 at 04:15 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:12 AM   #769
Steve

Goofy Re: New screenshots of DNF in Duke3D XLBA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
Have you ever BEEN in Vegas?
He has actually
Old 09-30-2008, 04:30 AM   #770
ash678
just shows no matter what 3drealms release for duke nukem forever people will bitch and complain about it. this 20 paged long thread just proves that. good going. i really do hope this game isnt gonna be released if screenshots alone which you have begged for, you just rip them apart.

as a picture on the net says stop being a ****
Old 09-30-2008, 04:38 AM   #771
Rider

Alright, I feel like I've seen the screenshots enough to give some form of healthy criticism on them.

First of all, I love them both. Let there be no argument on that. I love what you guys (3DR) are doing with this art direction. However I do agree with some points that where brought up that the 2001 screenshots had a certain vibrance to it that isn't as apparent in the newer shots. If that's a conscious decision, then so be it, it's your game after all

And then there's the hair... I'm not sure what methods you're using for it now but I noticed that it looks mediocre very easily. In the club shot, while present, it's not as apparent on Duke (probably because he's close to the camera) but it really shows on the stripper's hair. You move a little too far back and you're in jaggsville.

I'm not sure how noticeable that is ingame, but it really stands out in these screenshots, and it would be a shame to have something like that 'break the scene' ingame.

So that's my $0.02. And like I already mentioned, I just love everything else about these shots. Awesome job!
She's pretty, not "damn-she's-making-my-noodle-dance-samba"-pretty, but still very pretty... - Micki!
Old 09-30-2008, 04:38 AM   #772
WoodenSword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart View Post
EDIT: I liked the Crysis comparison, but you really need to compare it to the main character aswell, so I took a screenshot from Crysis Warhead and added a little sharp effect to them both:
....once again....i never said better than crysis...i said they are comparable!

anyway in my humble opinion, duke once again looks artistically much better because the face of main character of crysis looks like if it was created by chopping a real face photograph and placing it on the model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Broussard View Post
It's easy to bump resolution and use a 2048x2048 for a face or character, but the question is....what's better for gameplay and a game actually running, vs a screenshot. You don't sell screenshots. You sell games.

Don't miss the forest for the trees.
(cough cough - actually it is not in our benefit to look at the forest....Crysis' forests kick serious ass!!)
Old 09-30-2008, 04:38 AM   #773
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Havoc View Post
A FPS player wants graphic, not gameplay, DNF is not a RTS game where graphics dont play a major role. Then again, Starcraft 2 could fail because of the use of a very simple graphic compared to other RT games.
Starcraft 2 will not fail based on brand recognition alone. It's almost like a Sims 2 except without the casual market wanting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenSword View Post
....once again....i never said better than crysis...i said they are comparable!

anyway in my humble opinion, duke once again looks artistically much better because the face of main character of crysis looks like if it was created by chopping a real face photograph and placing it on the model.
He never said it was better than Crysis either.

And in my humble opinion, you're too much of a fanboy to compare Duke to Crysis. It's obvious your loyalty lies with Duke. Also: they look nearly identical in quality, if not the Crysis face looking a bit more realistic and the Duke face looking more vibrant.
Last edited by Reaper; 09-30-2008 at 04:43 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:39 AM   #774
Minty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash678 View Post
And would eventually be graphics in a game we will all be playing, imagine the complaints then!
Old 09-30-2008, 04:40 AM   #775
vcatkiller

Well, it's like starving dogs. Throw them a scrap of meat and it'll be ripped apart in seconds. We haven't had too much in the way of media tossed our way, so we tear apart every bit of media we get. It's kind of what happens when a community surrounding a game gets 'media starved' I guess.

Still, it's nice to see shots of the game.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:46 AM   #776
Ravey
The thing I liked about Crysis is that it basically did what other developers were getting wrong, they made the game very colourful and they didn't hide anything because it looked fantastic so they wanted to show it off.

That said, the gameplay was very repetitive, despite all the wonderful things you can do with the physics engine and the vague sense of freedom in that game. In some ways I thought they could've made a more entertaining experience 10 years ago.
Last edited by Ravey; 09-30-2008 at 04:50 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:07 AM   #777
Micki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcatkiller View Post
Well, it's like starving dogs. Throw them a scrap of meat and it'll be ripped apart in seconds. We haven't had too much in the way of media tossed our way, so we tear apart every bit of media we get. It's kind of what happens when a community surrounding a game gets 'media starved' I guess.

Still, it's nice to see shots of the game.
Actually, it's more like a group of starving dogs, that, when they finally DO get a lump of meat, they start discussing that it's too dirty, since it passed te 3-second rule, and that the edges don't look juicy enough...
Old 09-30-2008, 05:08 AM   #778
hiob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micki! View Post
Actually, it's more like a group of starving dogs, that, when they finally DO get a lump of meat, they start discussing that it's too dirty, since it passed te 3-second rule, and that the edges don't look juicy enough...
haha, so true.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:14 AM   #779
Ravey
My desktop is awesome.

I totally use 800x600.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:32 AM   #780
Altered Reality

Quote:
We dont want to see and sharp edges in the final version.
If YOU don't want to see them, that's YOUR problem. I don't want to play a myopia simulator. I have 20/20 in both eyes, and blurry games piss me off to no end. I want my games to be crisp and clear.
What I DO have a problem with in those screenshots is bloom and hazyness, for the same reason (they blur the graphics, parts of which are even COMPLETELY ERASED and replaced by SOLID WHITE PATCHES by those effects).
Last edited by Altered Reality; 09-30-2008 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:35 AM   #781
Thriller

Smile Re: New screenshots of DNF in Duke3D XLBA
Its pretty funny that they took a screenshot of a place they´ve already shown in an erlier version. I remember everyone bugging them to do so as "it woudnt spoil anything new".

"I thought everyone i Sweden looked like Duke Nukem...." - GreedyFly 2001
Old 09-30-2008, 05:36 AM   #782
Jonathan
anyone else miss the Desert Eagle?
Old 09-30-2008, 05:41 AM   #783
Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
I know this is probably a complete 180 for me, (as compared to my teaser impressions) but for some reason the model looks great in the current shots (for the Octobrain) and the color is great (pink again!). The only issue I have is this (I think it's from the Octobrain in behind the other one in the current shots, but not sure -- taken from page 15 of the thread):
Looks like it has more effects applied to it (or it is just a shitty quality image). It looks like it's actually dripping slime, which is sooo awesome.

EDIT: It is actually the frame of a structure below the dam, not slime. Sigh. It would be so cool to see slime dripping off the Octobrains.
That would be pretty awesome to see.

On a side note I love how there is a warning sticker on the guns laser... I find it ironic. Its those little details that I enjoy and I hope 3DR enjoy putting in.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:46 AM   #784
crunchy superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
For all we know it's still in there. Where is it written that Duke can't use different pistols at various points of the game?

This 1911 might be his wimpy little backup he keeps in his boot.

Either way, I don't really care. So long as all the weapons have a heavy duty sound & feel to them - worthy of Duke - then I'm fine.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:06 AM   #785
Altered Reality

Quote:
A FPS player wants graphic, not gameplay
An FPS player wants graphics AND gameplay. If one of them fails, the whole game fails. Why do you think HL2 was so successful, despite the delays, and Crysis was considered mediocre despite the jaw-breaking graphics?
Quote:
I think the Colt replaced the Desert Eagle to appeal to nostalgic Duke3D fans (after all, the Desert Eagle only appeared in Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes and Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project). But I agree that it looks odd. I'd prefer a solid gold () Colt like this one with black grips instead of white.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:19 AM   #786
Antikorper
Quote:
i just hope it it in too and maybe a .700 revolver
Old 09-30-2008, 06:26 AM   #787
WoodenSword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post

He never said it was better than Crysis either.

And in my humble opinion, you're too much of a fanboy to compare Duke to Crysis. It's obvious your loyalty lies with Duke. Also: they look nearly identical in quality, if not the Crysis face looking a bit more realistic and the Duke face looking more vibrant.
And in return...i never said that he said that!!!
And no its not that i am more loyal to a game that hasn't been released.
Why you say that i am too much fanboy to compare duke to crysis when you- yourself say "they look nearly identical in quality!!!!" I guess we are all duke fanboys here then....

Actually i really liked crysis (much better than the COD4).I just hope that dnf is more side by side with far cry 2.....rather than crysis...if you know what i mean....

Back to the screenshots i really love the stripper's face!!Too sweet....
Do you think that they were made with ready-to-use poser pro models?? They look like so....
Old 09-30-2008, 06:34 AM   #788
ReadOnly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash678 View Post
just shows no matter what 3drealms release for duke nukem forever people will bitch and complain about it. this 20 paged long thread just proves that. good going. i really do hope this game isnt gonna be released if screenshots alone which you have begged for, you just rip them apart.

It's inevitable and there is nothing bad about this. Nobody in this thread said George is an idiot and the game sucks. But there is some criticism of the graphics and art direction. And it should be addressed. And while they should be judged more thoroughly by at least the real trailer, there is some uneasiness about both right now.

P.S. Oh, no. I've just realised that I'm like those guys who were bitching about Diablo 3 art style. Well, at least I'm not doing a petition. It's still 3dr's game. And they can have art style like they want. It their game and I'm not in the position to demand something.
Last edited by ReadOnly; 09-30-2008 at 06:42 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:35 AM   #789
Mr.Fibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenSword View Post
Back to the screenshots i really love the stripper's face!!Too sweet....
Do you think that they were made with ready-to-use poser pro models?? They look like so....
No.

1. They can't use Poser models in a commercial product without giving money to the makes of Poser (I think that is how it works).
2. There is a reason why they have 3D modelers, so they don't have to use ready made junk.

Those models were all probably made in 3DS Max.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:57 AM   #790
Scream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravey View Post
My desktop is awesome.

I totally use 800x600.
Fun. I would like it better if you hadn't put the two little guys standing on him.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:12 AM   #791
Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Havoc View Post
Graphics have to be good, otherwise it dosent sell, no matter what you do with the gameplay. A FPS player wants graphic, not gameplay, DNF is not a RTS game where graphics dont play a major role.
Eh, just ... no.

You're welcome to speak for yourself, but calling myself a FPS player, I beg to differ.

I'm not saying that graphics doesn't make a difference. Of course it does. I love cool graphics and they are definately an important part of a game, but only the difference between good and incredible graphics won't make or break a game that has anything more interesting to offer in gameplay than running down endless corridors shooting everything that gets in your way. I think we've had enough examples in here in the previous posts, but just look at Duke Nukem 3D that people are still playing and that is the very reason we're still in here waiting for the sequel. It was graphically run over by Quake's "real" 3D-engine the same year it was released but it's still one of the most enjoyable games out there. If the graphics had been all that Duke was made of, he would have been long forgotten.
Last edited by Waiter; 09-30-2008 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:19 AM   #792
inotocracy
So is this the 6 month count down? I sure hope so. I've been waiting for this game for too damn long.. but, I wanted to say: thats the roundest strippers ass I've ever seen in a game. Good job.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:27 AM   #793
Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by inotocracy View Post
So is this the 6 month count down? I sure hope so. I've been waiting for this game for too damn long.. but, I wanted to say: thats the roundest strippers ass I've ever seen in a game. Good job.
No one has ever confirmed that there is a 6 month countdown if media was released that was just an assumption and no one ever said that these two shots are the beginning of the end yet either.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #794
Commando Nukem

Cool Re: New screenshots of DNF in Duke3D XLBA
Hats off to 3D Realms. You guys are doing some great work here. Aside from a few little gripes. I still feel some of the choice of color is TOO BLAND, but whatever, I trust you guys. Other parts look very vivd and atmospheric (good use of smoke, slime, and nitty gritty detail on some of the texturing.)

I like Dukes .45. Much better choice than the clumsy, overused Desert Eagle Seriously guys, have you ever seen one of these things in action? They're a piece of shit. A 45 is by far a CLASSIC handgun, reliable, powerful. It suites Duke a lot better. It also harkens back to Duke3D and 64... and I very much doubt that Duke has more than one handgun in the game. That plays against what the trend of his games has been. He has his "never leave home without" gun, and then collects everything else as he goes along.

These images excite me for future media releases and the eventual release of the game. I think 3D Realms has a winner on there hands, even if we dont agree with everything they do. Please-all perfection is unattainable.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:42 AM   #795
trucedAnimal

maybe this has been asked before but i see a huge tentacle in one of the screenshots.
between the octabrain and dukes hand there is a tentacle in the background that is way to big to be one of an octabrain. it's nead the wall but goes behind some crates.

What is this thing?

[edit]there is another one on the left side. I didnt see that one at first. looks like its coming out of the building. [/edit]
Last edited by trucedAnimal; 09-30-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:43 AM   #796
Psyrgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
No one has ever confirmed that there is a 6 month countdown if media was released that was just an assumption and no one ever said that these two shots are the beginning of the end yet either.
Shut up! We want to believe!
Old 09-30-2008, 08:04 AM   #797
Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucedAnimal View Post
What is this thing?
The trunk of an oliphant.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:33 AM   #798
peoplessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucedAnimal View Post
maybe this has been asked before but i see a huge tentacle in one of the screenshots.
between the octabrain and dukes hand there is a tentacle in the background that is way to big to be one of an octabrain. it's nead the wall but goes behind some crates.

What is this thing?

[edit]there is another one on the left side. I didnt see that one at first. looks like its coming out of the building. [/edit]
Remember the electric worm? I bet it has something to do with that.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:41 AM   #799
Denz

i'll be sure to take off that bloom, gee i hate bloom
Old 09-30-2008, 09:19 AM   #800
-DOG-
hmmm?
Both screenshots are taken at the same place, look at this worm-thing.

btw. good job 3DRealms, give us more of them

greetings from Germany,

-DOG-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unbenannt222.jpg (51.2 KB, 120 views)
Last edited by -DOG-; 09-30-2008 at 09:23 AM.