Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2005, 09:43 AM   #41
subbie
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Quote:
TerminX said:
Quote:
subbie said:
PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE!!!!

Release shadow warrior. I can't stand it anymore. It's just been way too long since I have played this game. I would still play it now if not for the lack of sound ( A HUGE PART OF THE GAME, Specialy his comments ).

I would so port this game in my free time to other devices (and yes i do know how to code).

Oh just a note joe, My BDAY is on march 9th. Any chance you can make it a great bday with sw src? *nudge* *nudge*
Dude, just hold your damn horses.
Why ? I've never been good with waiting.

I'm a bigger shadow warrior fan then any other fps to date. I seriously have been dying to play this game since a long time ago. (curse me for being an adopter of nt4 & 2k over 98 long long ago).

Also I am a comercial coder and would gladly take more time out to port it my self insted of trying to get someone else to port it.
subbie is offline  
Old 01-28-2005, 11:26 AM   #42
Eddy Willson
Re: Older Games & Source Code
There aught to be some 'WID' style saying by Joe/George/Other 3DR staff about whenever a fan asks for the Shadow Warior source code.

(although subbie didnt use the usual annoying tactics thankfully)
__________________
YOU.HAVE.GOT.TO.BE.KISSING.ME - Ivan

If i was a preteen id probably love you too - Fat John

AcornArcade
---------------
The Icon Bar
Eddy Willson is offline  
Old 01-28-2005, 04:25 PM   #43
TerminX

TerminX's Avatar
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Quote:
subbie said:
Also I am a comercial coder and would gladly take more time out to port it my self insted of trying to get someone else to port it.
Someone else is already going to port it. And, quite honestly, being that he works with Ken Silverman, I don't see anyone ever, ever making a better port than what he'll make.
TerminX is offline  
Old 01-28-2005, 06:52 PM   #44
subbie
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Quote:
TerminX said:
Someone else is already going to port it. And, quite honestly, being that he works with Ken Silverman, I don't see anyone ever, ever making a better port than what he'll make.
Cool but truthfuly my real targets would be handhelds (my speciality). So Cell phones, GBA, DS, and any other devices I gets my hands on.
subbie is offline  
Old 01-28-2005, 08:58 PM   #45
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Joe Siegler's Avatar
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Quote:
subbie said:
Quote:
TerminX said:
Someone else is already going to port it. And, quite honestly, being that he works with Ken Silverman, I don't see anyone ever, ever making a better port than what he'll make.
Cool but truthfuly my real targets would be handhelds (my speciality). So Cell phones, GBA, DS, and any other devices I gets my hands on.
We're aware that people want it. Asking for it won't make it come any faster. Our company history should show that we do things when we want to.

TerminX - how long were people badgering us for the Duke3D source before we finally decided to release it? Quite awhile, if I remember right.
__________________
Apogee / 3D Realms Employee: Dec 14, 1992 - May 22, 2009, Oct 23, 2014 - current

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Joe Siegler is offline  
Old 01-28-2005, 10:02 PM   #46
TerminX

TerminX's Avatar
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Quote:
Joe3DR said:
Quote:
subbie said:
Quote:
TerminX said:
Someone else is already going to port it. And, quite honestly, being that he works with Ken Silverman, I don't see anyone ever, ever making a better port than what he'll make.
Cool but truthfuly my real targets would be handhelds (my speciality). So Cell phones, GBA, DS, and any other devices I gets my hands on.
We're aware that people want it. Asking for it won't make it come any faster. Our company history should show that we do things when we want to.

TerminX - how long were people badgering us for the Duke3D source before we finally decided to release it? Quite awhile, if I remember right.
Years upon years upon years. As I recall, the company policy was simply that you guys weren't interested in releasing source -- so glad that changed.

Also, to everyone begging for more source: do realize that these things take time to prepare. 3DR can't just rar up the SW source and post it. No, it needs to be cleaned up (at least made buildable) and any code that 3DR doesn't own full rights to (such as licensed code that might've been used with the game) needs to be removed and stubbed off.

Also, do keep in mind that the guy who prepares this shit for release (Charlie, in this case) has a full time job at 3DR working on DNF. These things don't just happen overnight.
TerminX is offline  
Old 01-28-2005, 11:05 PM   #47
subbie
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Quote:
Joe3DR said:
We're aware that people want it. Asking for it won't make it come any faster. Our company history should show that we do things when we want to.

TerminX - how long were people badgering us for the Duke3D source before we finally decided to release it? Quite awhile, if I remember right.
Yeah I know and fully understand. Still dont feel it doesn't hurt to try and ask again. If nobody request it, then you would not consider it in the first place. Also if one person request it, many will want to request it.

But hey if you want a new request. How about releasing a build of this old fella that never saw the light of day.

http://www.shooterplanet.de/Shooter-.../Prey/logo.jpg

:P

Quote:
TerminX said:
Also, to everyone begging for more source: do realize that these things take time to prepare. 3DR can't just rar up the SW source and post it. No, it needs to be cleaned up (at least made buildable) and any code that 3DR doesn't own full rights to (such as licensed code that might've been used with the game) needs to be removed and stubbed off.

Also, do keep in mind that the guy who prepares this shit for release (Charlie, in this case) has a full time job at 3DR working on DNF. These things don't just happen overnight.
Truthfuly I already know and understand. I do code for a living as well. I'm just shooting into the dark and hope that another request on shadow warrior would better make it the next src release. Untill then I am just gonna maybe play with the ROTT src (dont know why I though it was going to be hell when I looked at it months ago. now looking at the win port it's going to be pretty straight forward to port to a cell phone).
subbie is offline  
Old 01-28-2005, 11:20 PM   #48
peter_m_green
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Quote:
TerminX said:
Quote:
Joe3DR said:
Quote:
subbie said:
Quote:
TerminX said:
Someone else is already going to port it. And, quite honestly, being that he works with Ken Silverman, I don't see anyone ever, ever making a better port than what he'll make.
Cool but truthfuly my real targets would be handhelds (my speciality). So Cell phones, GBA, DS, and any other devices I gets my hands on.
We're aware that people want it. Asking for it won't make it come any faster. Our company history should show that we do things when we want to.

TerminX - how long were people badgering us for the Duke3D source before we finally decided to release it? Quite awhile, if I remember right.
Years upon years upon years. As I recall, the company policy was simply that you guys weren't interested in releasing source -- so glad that changed.

im sure 3DR said that there were legal issues that meant they could never release the duke source.

what were those issues and why did they go away and allow the duke source to be released?
peter_m_green is offline  
Old 01-28-2005, 11:49 PM   #49
Lengis
 
Re: Older Games & Source Code
>>>>>>>And, quite honestly, being that he works with Ken Silverman, I don't see anyone ever, ever making a better port than what he'll make.


Speaking of Ken Silverman, wasn't he in middle school when he first made the Build Engine? How old is he now, and what's he up to?
Lengis is offline  
Old 01-29-2005, 12:24 AM   #50
TerminX

TerminX's Avatar
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Quote:
subbie said:
I'm just shooting into the dark and hope that another request on shadow warrior would better make it the next src release.
Uh, the SW source is going to be the next source release, unless Joe gets around to releasing the Kroz (I think, recall reading something of the sort in one of those "hey, where's our Christmas present?" type threads, could be a different older game) source that George cleared him to release first. The SW source release is likely a lot closer than you think it is.
TerminX is offline  
Old 01-29-2005, 01:13 AM   #51
subbie
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Quote:
TerminX said:
Quote:
subbie said:
I'm just shooting into the dark and hope that another request on shadow warrior would better make it the next src release.
Uh, the SW source is going to be the next source release, unless Joe gets around to releasing the Kroz (I think, recall reading something of the sort in one of those "hey, where's our Christmas present?" type threads, could be a different older game) source that George cleared him to release first. The SW source release is likely a lot closer than you think it is.
Great, then I will just keep my self entertained with ROTT for a while (it could use some cleaning).
subbie is offline  
Old 01-29-2005, 07:09 AM   #52
jbailey

jbailey's Avatar
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Winrott on a cellphone? Now there's a platform I would have
never thought of, I don't have a fancy cellphone (just a
regular on), but out of curiosity, what resolution would that
be? and how would the player be controlled? I'm not
saying it won't work, I'm just saying that I've never heard
of anyone converting old pc games to be playable on a
cellphone. But it souds like a intresting concept, post here
with some screenshots once you have gotten winrott
going....
__________________
Download Winrott here:

http://www.riseofthetriad.dk/DL_GlROTT.htm

jbailey
jbailey is offline  
Old 01-29-2005, 08:44 AM   #53
Sir Lemonhead
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Quote:
peter_m_green said:
im sure 3DR said that there were legal issues that meant they could never release the duke source.

what were those issues and why did they go away and allow the duke source to be released?
Perhaps that was Ken Silverman, as he only released the source code for build a few years ago.
Sir Lemonhead is offline  
Old 01-29-2005, 10:47 AM   #54
subbie
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Quote:
jbailey said:
Winrott on a cellphone? Now there's a platform I would have
never thought of, I don't have a fancy cellphone (just a
regular on), but out of curiosity, what resolution would that
be? and how would the player be controlled? I'm not
saying it won't work, I'm just saying that I've never heard
of anyone converting old pc games to be playable on a
cellphone. But it souds like a intresting concept, post here
with some screenshots once you have gotten winrott
going....
I have a P900 from SonyErricson. I got the idea to finaly try porting another FPS to my phone after person did a perfect port of wolfenstine to the p900.

The pixel resolution is 208x320 when flipped open (so in landscape it gives a nice 320x208. When closed it gives an even 208x208.

The CPU should hold up to run ROTT at a playable framerate. Its an arm9 cpu at 156Mhz.

http://my-symbian.com/uiq/techdata_p900.php
subbie is offline  
Old 01-29-2005, 10:18 PM   #55
Xantheous

Xantheous's Avatar
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Quote:
Lengis said:
Speaking of Ken Silverman, wasn't he in middle school when he first made the Build Engine? How old is he now, and what's he up to?
Here is a link to Ken Silverman's website which has quite a bit of info.
__________________
"The Path of Excess Leads to the Tower of Wisdom." - W. Blake
Xantheous is offline  
Old 02-01-2005, 11:57 AM   #56
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Joe Siegler's Avatar
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Quote:
Yeah I know and fully understand. Still dont feel it doesn't hurt to try and ask again. If nobody request it, then you would not consider it in the first place. Also if one person request it, many will want to request it.
My point is that you asking again makes no difference. We aware of the desire. More asking will make no difference except us to say "Stop asking!".

I'm being totally honest. repeating your request makes no difference; it doesn't help it get there any faster. If there's anything you should know about this company by now is that we'll do it when we're ready to do it, not when people ask us.
__________________
Apogee / 3D Realms Employee: Dec 14, 1992 - May 22, 2009, Oct 23, 2014 - current

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Joe Siegler is offline  
Old 02-09-2005, 02:36 AM   #57
Croaker
Guest
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Howdy everybody,

I hate it, but because nobody (outside this forum of course) has even considered to give me an answer, I thought it's maybe the best to ask this time directly

@Joe3DR: Would you please answer the question wether 3drealms is holding the copyright for Terminal Velocity or not.

Thanks in advance
Croaker
 
Old 02-10-2005, 03:23 PM   #58
Kristian Joensen

Kristian Joensen's Avatar
Re: Older Games & Source Code
I doubt it, afaik 3D Realms/Apogee always let 3rd party developers keep the IP back when they where a publisher.
Kristian Joensen is offline  
Old 02-14-2005, 02:30 PM   #59
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Joe Siegler's Avatar
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Quote:
Croaker said:
@Joe3DR: Would you please answer the question wether 3drealms is holding the copyright for Terminal Velocity or not.
I don't know the answer. It's likely TRI holding the rights to that, but I'd have to research it.
__________________
Apogee / 3D Realms Employee: Dec 14, 1992 - May 22, 2009, Oct 23, 2014 - current

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Joe Siegler is offline  
Old 02-15-2005, 12:34 PM   #60
subbie
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Hey Joe,

Any idea who owns the rights to redneck rampage now that interplay/titus is dead?
subbie is offline  
Old 02-15-2005, 01:02 PM   #61
Sir Lemonhead
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Quote:
subbie said:
Hey Joe,

Any idea who owns the rights to redneck rampage now that interplay/titus is dead?
Grey Matter.

http://www.gmistudios.com/Welcome.htm

I e-mailed them a few times about Redneck Rampage, but got no reply. Oh well.
Sir Lemonhead is offline  
Old 02-15-2005, 01:13 PM   #62
Kristian Joensen

Kristian Joensen's Avatar
Re: Older Games & Source Code
No, when Interplay went down Infogrames/Atari bougth the rigths to Redneck Rampage.
Kristian Joensen is offline  
Old 02-15-2005, 02:48 PM   #63
Sir Lemonhead
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Right...so why do Grey Matter have the Redneck Rampage series mentioned on their site, whereas Atari does not?
Sir Lemonhead is offline  
Old 02-15-2005, 02:56 PM   #64
Kristian Joensen

Kristian Joensen's Avatar
Re: Older Games & Source Code
I don't know why Atari hasn't got the Redneck Rampage series on their website, but Grey Matter has got it mentioned on their site becuase they where Xatrx the original developer.
Kristian Joensen is offline  
Old 02-15-2005, 03:01 PM   #65
Sir Lemonhead
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Well ok, Interplay published it. When did Atari aquire Interplay?

All I see is Infogrames aquired Shiny, who were part of Interplay. Interplay and its games were never aquired by Inforgrames were they?
Sir Lemonhead is offline  
Old 02-15-2005, 03:22 PM   #66
Kristian Joensen

Kristian Joensen's Avatar
Re: Older Games & Source Code
When Interplay went bankrupt Atari bougth the rigths to the Redneck Rampage games for 1 million $, but only the Redneck Rampage games.
Kristian Joensen is offline  
Old 02-15-2005, 03:27 PM   #67
Sir Lemonhead
Re: Older Games & Source Code
For 1 million? madness. What the hell for? :\

So we're not likely to see the source code for that either :\
Sir Lemonhead is offline  
Old 02-15-2005, 03:41 PM   #68
Kristian Joensen

Kristian Joensen's Avatar
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Why ? I have no idea, but if the Redneck Rampage fans could raise maybe 1.5-2 million $ then they could buy the rigths from Atari and relase the source code.

Maybe Atari is gonna mke a sequel with a modern 3D Engine ?
Kristian Joensen is offline  
Old 02-15-2005, 03:46 PM   #69
Sir Lemonhead
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Quote:
Kristian Joensen said:
Why ? I have no idea, but if the Redneck Rampage fans could raise maybe 1.5-2 million $ then they could buy the rigths from Atari and relase the source code.

Maybe Atari is gonna mke a sequel with a modern 3D Engine ?
Thinking about how much they'd want for the Blood source code scares me slightly..

No offence to RR fans, but Blood was miles better. Even Atari have Blood listed on their support page :\

It seems unlikely they'd ever make a new RR game, but god...after this finding this out, I really don't know.
Sir Lemonhead is offline  
Old 02-15-2005, 03:54 PM   #70
Kristian Joensen

Kristian Joensen's Avatar
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Why else would they spend that much money on it ?
Kristian Joensen is offline  
Old 02-15-2005, 03:58 PM   #71
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Joe Siegler's Avatar
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Quote:
subbie said:
Hey Joe,

Any idea who owns the rights to redneck rampage now that interplay/titus is dead?
I don't know - we never had anything to do with that game.
__________________
Apogee / 3D Realms Employee: Dec 14, 1992 - May 22, 2009, Oct 23, 2014 - current

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Joe Siegler is offline  
Old 02-15-2005, 04:00 PM   #72
Kristian Joensen

Kristian Joensen's Avatar
Re: Older Games & Source Code
"When we were lost in texas, george and scott showed us the way. they also licensed us the build engine and the duke nukem source code for all three redneck rampage games. they've been making games forever... actually one game in particular. sorry george, i couldn't resist. you know we'll be the first in line to buy it."

- Source: http://www.gmistudios.com/friends.html
Kristian Joensen is offline  
Old 02-15-2005, 04:05 PM   #73
Sir Lemonhead
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Quote:
Kristian Joensen said:
Why else would they spend that much money on it ?
Where did you hear about this?
Sir Lemonhead is offline  
Old 02-15-2005, 04:11 PM   #74
Kristian Joensen

Kristian Joensen's Avatar
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Sorry, it wasn't 1 million or Atari but Vivendi and 300000$, source:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/news.php?aid=4926
Kristian Joensen is offline  
Old 02-15-2005, 04:32 PM   #75
Sir Lemonhead
Re: Older Games & Source Code
aah that makes sense now.
Sir Lemonhead is offline  
Old 02-15-2005, 04:51 PM   #76
Kristian Joensen

Kristian Joensen's Avatar
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Why dows Vivendi make more sense than Atari ?
Kristian Joensen is offline  
Old 02-15-2005, 04:54 PM   #77
Sir Lemonhead
Re: Older Games & Source Code
It makes sense that it's not Atari, basically
Sir Lemonhead is offline  
Old 02-15-2005, 05:03 PM   #78
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Joe Siegler's Avatar
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Quote:
I'm a bigger shadow warrior fan then any other fps to date. I seriously have been dying to play this game since a long time ago. (curse me for being an adopter of nt4 & 2k over 98 long long ago).
Have you tried DOSBox with this?
__________________
Apogee / 3D Realms Employee: Dec 14, 1992 - May 22, 2009, Oct 23, 2014 - current

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Joe Siegler is offline  
Old 02-15-2005, 05:07 PM   #79
Sir Lemonhead
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Quote:
Joe3DR said:
Quote:
I'm a bigger shadow warrior fan then any other fps to date. I seriously have been dying to play this game since a long time ago. (curse me for being an adopter of nt4 & 2k over 98 long long ago).
Have you tried DOSBox with this?
Is it worth their while, with the source code release somewhat imminent?
Sir Lemonhead is offline  
Old 02-16-2005, 10:15 AM   #80
subbie
Re: Older Games & Source Code
Damn why couldn't it be atari. Then I would have known someone to pester about porting the game.

Quote:
Joe3DR said:
Quote:
I'm a bigger shadow warrior fan then any other fps to date. I seriously have been dying to play this game since a long time ago. (curse me for being an adopter of nt4 & 2k over 98 long long ago).
Have you tried DOSBox with this?
Recently no. In the past. I tried every posible thing.

I'll have to try it.
subbie is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Tags
source code

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:43 PM.

Page generated in 0.24805689 seconds (100.00% PHP - 0% MySQL) with 16 queries

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Website is 1987-2014 Apogee Software, Ltd.
Ideas and messages posted here become property of Apogee Software Ltd.