Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 01:52 AM   #161
Waiter

Re: The New Hardware Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inanimate Carbon Rod View Post
The 5870 comes in stock every day, just check this link a couple of times a day.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=&srchInDesc=
Not over here (Germany). But I'm also aiming for the 5850, and they don't seem to be in stock at neweggs (eggstock?) either.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #162
NutWrench

All my other stuff has arrived! The boxed i7 CPU came with a much better fan than I was expecting. Looks like everything is here.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 10-08-2009, 12:06 PM   #163
Water12356

Ooo pretty.

And yes I recently built a new PC as well as some of you might know

mobo
Q9550
4GB DDR2 1066
Windows Vista Home 64 Bit (w/ free upgrade coupon to Windows 7)
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 black & blue

And im just using my current graphics card (GTX 260 216 OC) and PSU (Antec NeoPower 650W Blue)

"Men trade whatever they have for sex and women trade sex for whatever they want. That may be unromantic but theres truth to it."
- Nessus
Old 10-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #164
fast-1

what do you do with your old PC's when you buy new one.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #165
Water12356

Well I gave my old one to my mom because she wanted her own PC. Gave her my old monitor, bought a cheap graphics card (9600 GSO) because of no onboard graphics, new keyboard, new mouse.

But if you dont have someone to give it to, you can keep the newer parts as backups incase something falis. Otherwise sell the parts if they are worth anything, or toss it if its too old.

"Men trade whatever they have for sex and women trade sex for whatever they want. That may be unromantic but theres truth to it."
- Nessus
Old 10-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #166
NutWrench

Finished putting all the basic stuff together. It lives! Installing Vista now.
The motherboard has a power and reset switch directly on it, so I was able to test it out pretty quickly. I'll tuck all the cables and hook up all the headers and case fans once Vista is through installing.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 10-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #167
Wamplet

Oh No Re: The New Hardware Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast-1 View Post
what do you do with your old PC's when you buy new one.
I keep mine so i can play old games on them.
"By god... Wamp has a point." -Damien_Azreal
Old 10-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #168
NutWrench

Played Crysis for a bit with everything on Very High. Amazing.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #169
Water12356

How many frames you getting on very high Nut?

- Nessus
Old 10-08-2009, 11:26 PM   #170
NutWrench

It looks like it's averaging about 75 fps on the first level. I'll try to get some screenshots.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #171
Waiter

Could you guys give me a few tips on US webstores that might ship internationally. I checked newegg, but they dont.

The stores overe here expect you to pay Euro for Dollars, which means that a 5850 card would be about 160 dollars more expensive over here.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #172
8IronBob

I'm probably gonna wait for the 5850 to come back in stock, and hope for an overclocked model, was gonna go for the 5870, but with the room it takes up, and for that extra cost, it may not be as much worth the jump. OC'ed models from what I hear may almost perform on par, if not better than the 5870, anyway. I see that Newegg has PowerColor in stock, but I'm waiting for the Sapphire to come back in stock, they're a far better brand.

EDIT: N/m, I found out that Newegg DID have the Sapphire 5850 in stock.... WOOHOO! Just had to click onto the page in order to see Add to Cart instead of Auto Notify.
Last edited by 8IronBob; 10-09-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #173
NutWrench

I love my new card. I'm running Crysis with everything maxxed, including anti-aliasing and it still runs smooth as butter.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #174
8IronBob

Yeah, I like that it actually has a direct HDMI-to-HDMI port, as opposed to having to have an adapter to have HDMI capabilities. I assume that there's a sound/audio function to this card built directly into the card, too?
I can see why the Upgrade Advisor said that the X-Fi XtremeGamer would not be compatible with Win 7, since most DX11 cards may have this built into the GPUs, possibly. Especially since I have that Blu-ray burner in there, might be something to have HDMI as opposed to DVI on this rig. I think that the Dell UltraSharp has an HDMI port, I'll have to look at the back of this thing.
Last edited by 8IronBob; 10-09-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #175
NutWrench

I just got a new widescreen monitor today and it had a RGB plug and an HDMI plug. (I was expecting a DVI connector.) Fortunatly, the video card came with one of those DVI->RGB adapters, so I can use that until I get the HDMI cable tomorrow.

It's hard to get over how much quieter the computer is. Those big fans really do make a difference.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #176
8IronBob

Now that I think about it, I should've thought about including an HDMI cable with the HD5850 order, Newegg may have had a combo deal if I did that...oh well. That's all right, I can probably go to a Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, or Best Buy tomorrow to pick one up... Even tho I have a DVI cable, I'd much rather have the audio features of this included, and have the whole effect of the card.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #177
Nukkus

that 5870 is shexy.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #178
Wamplet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter View Post
Could you guys give me a few tips on US webstores that might ship internationally. I checked newegg, but they dont.

The stores overe here expect you to pay Euro for Dollars, which means that a 5850 card would be about 160 dollars more expensive over here.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/h...ernational.asp

Looks like tigerdirect does but only with wire transfers and over the phone.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #179
Waiter

Exactly. There is also the question if there is added taxes or so that will add to the end price.

Wire means it would take at least a week including shipping before I have the card, so I'll wait and see for a while. There are no cards to buy here yet,and I think that's the reason the prices are so high. Once the cards are actually in store, the prices will probably drop to about US levels, which are also the prices that are stated in german tests and magazines.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #180
Wamplet

yeah just be patient.

I think those cards just came out in the past 2 weeks, so there will be initial stocking problems.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #181
Inanimate Carbon Rod

amazon.com will also ship oversees.... well I know amazon.co.uk ships to the US.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #182
Phayzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutWrench View Post
All my other stuff has arrived! The boxed i7 CPU came with a much better fan than I was expecting. Looks like everything is here.
Thats actually the same fan that i5 and Core 2 had/have as well Adjusted to fit the different socket though, of course.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #183
8IronBob

Actually, Newegg does have US, Canada, and China shipping, but that's all the international that I really see from them.
I'm looking at the Chinese site, just for kicks... Mleh. http://www.newegg.com.cn/
Old 10-13-2009, 02:36 AM   #184
Waiter

Meh. All of a sudden, the stores are full of 57xx-cards that weren't even listed before. I suppose the 5770 may very well suit my needs, but where are the 5850 cards??
Old 10-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #185
8IronBob

I was one of the lucky ones to pull the trigger on a Sapphire 5850 myself. Got both that, and a Phenom II 955 BE from Newegg at my door this afternoon, so those are going to be a couple of very much needed upgrades off a Phenom 9550 and 9800GTX+ for the last...pfft, year and a half. Plus ASUS did say that would support this switch to the newer Phenom CPUs on the M3N78 PRO, so things'll go by smoothly before too long. Might wait until Win 7's released before doing the surgery, tho. Having fears that doing this now will leave me without a Windows License for the next couple of weeks, 'cuz I thought that CPU swaps would void further Vista usage.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #186
Inanimate Carbon Rod

You will have to reactivate windows via a phone call.

Don't worry about it.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #187
8IronBob

Doubt the HX520W would suffice for these higher-voltage components, tho. Wonder if the HX620W would be more recommended for the 5850/955BE combination. 125W for the CPU, 500W PSU minimum for the GPU, that's got me thinking now. Plus with 6GB RAM, a Blu-ray burner, hard drive, boy... I dunno.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #188
Phayzon

520W should be fine. The 5800 series is great on power (something like 27W idle ), and Ive had a CrossFire setup going on 530W.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:01 AM   #189
Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post
I was one of the lucky ones to pull the trigger on a Sapphire 5850 myself.
I'll be more than happy to hear your comments about it.

Speaking of power supply - mine is only 385 W ... I wonder if it'll still suffice as the 5800 are only supposed to need less than 150 W at full load.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #190
8IronBob

Yeah...now I'm thinking that the AM2+ architecture may hold the CPU back for its full potential. I'm wondering what difference in performance I'd get from 8GB DDR2-800 on an AM2+ mobo like mine, or if upgrading to an AM3 with perhaps 4GB - 6GB DDR3-1600 would unlock more overclocking/performance possibilities for the 955 BE? AM3 architecture sounds a bit more stable for the newer CPUs/GPUs, I'd think, whether or not DDR3 will really pump it up.
Last edited by 8IronBob; 10-14-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #191
Jiminator

ddr3 is presently not any type of reason to upgrade for amd. intel offers triple channel for their i7 (not i5 though) so that gives a boost in memory throughput, but since triple channel is not available from amd you would have to buy a new memory/board for nothing.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #192
8IronBob

Quote:
I'll be more than happy to hear your comments about it.

Speaking of power supply - mine is only 385 W ... I wonder if it'll still suffice as the 5800 are only supposed to need less than 150 W at full load.
Yeah, you will...I'll be taking care of the 5850 when I swap my CPU, and upgrade to 8GB DDR2-1066, then (someone told me that AM2+ mobos can see all 4 DIMMs as 1066MHz, if I manually override the memory controller in the BIOS, sounds cool). Sounds like something to take care of shortly after Win7 releases.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #193
Jiminator

Quote:
it depends on the quality of the psu. if it is a recent brand name psu that is fairly heavy then chances are that the ratings are real. other cheap psus generate the ratings based on false or unrealistic conditions. those would have a problem.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:17 AM   #194
Nukkus

i now has a GTX 275. It rawks ass compared to my 9800GX2.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #195
Waiter

I now has ordered an Asus EAH5850/G/2DIS
Old 10-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #196
Loke

Ordered a new PC today; the one I'm using at the moment can barely run newer games at an acceptable framerate; still it has served me well for the past 3 years.

Intel Core i7 920 Quad Processor
ASUS P6T SE X58 Motherboard
Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 6GB (Triple-Channel)
XFX Radeon HD 5850 1GB (no in storage, 27th this month though)
Corsair TX 650W (Hopefully it'll be enough )
Cooler Master CM 690 Midi Tower (Black)
Western Digital Caviar 500GB
Sony DVD±RW burner (originally a Samsung but they didn't have it in storage unfortunately)

All that for 'bout $1500. Funnily this will be my first ATI Radeon card; all my past ones have been Nvidia.
- The Stinger
Old 10-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #197
Phayzon

That 650W will be plenty. I'm CrossFiring HD4870s right now, which use significantly more power than that HD5850 (each), off 650W.

Also, hope you like the card. My 4870 was my first Radeon as well, and so far Im happier with it (well, them now ) than I ever have been with all my nvidia cards.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #198
NutWrench

The CoolerMaster cases have some really nice features. I especially like the sideways 3.5" bays. The drawers slide out individually, so you can put the whole hard drive in the drawer, then slide it into place. That way, you can tuck the power/data plug connections out of sight behind the opposite panel and they don't get in the way of your motherboard and/or video cards.

The most valuable gadget I got with the motherboard was the Q-link. It's basically a header adapter. You plug all your header connectors into the Q-link first, then just plug the entire Q-link into the motherboard. It saved me a whole lot of time and effort.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #199
Phayzon

^
My board had one of those as well. Convenient indeed
Old 10-21-2009, 05:26 AM   #200
Waiter

Got the graphix card!

Installing the drivers right now.

First impression: Is this what you call manuals?? For installing the hardware, there is nothing but some all-card quick installing tips. Nothing card specific at all including info about power connecions or any info about what's what on the card. Extremely bad imo.

Now let's see if my computer (power supply) wants to play game...