Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > Archives > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem Forever
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010, 04:02 AM   #1
Alithinos
How do you imagine DNF's levels ?
I make this question because I'm thinking a lot lately about the difference between old school games and newer.

Old school games had more levels,while the modern trend is to minimize the number of levels,but making them bigger.

Old FPS's had something like 30 different levels while modern ones have 8-15.

Would you prefer a DNF with 30+ medium levels,or a DNF with ~15 somewhat large levels ?
Alithinos is offline  
Old 07-16-2010, 04:56 AM   #2
Altered Reality

Altered Reality's Avatar
Re: How do you imagine DNF's levels ?
Less levels, but larger and thoroughly explorable. It shouldn't make me believe that I'm moving along a tight, convoluted compulsory path; it should give me the impression that I'm exploring a vast area.
__________________
[...] We view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time. (Gabe Newell, Valve)
I'm the worst enemy in film-making and a completely talentless idiot. (Uwe Boll)
Faith is why you are wrong. (Crosma)
Altered Reality is offline  
Old 07-16-2010, 05:39 AM   #3
marioman360

marioman360's Avatar
Re: How do you imagine DNF's levels ?
Linear but in the Half-Life 2 sense that although you're moving from point a to point b you still feel as though you're traversing large areas.
__________________
Please forgive the stupid username.
marioman360 is offline  
Old 07-16-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
glade23

glade23's Avatar
Re: How do you imagine DNF's levels ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by marioman360 View Post
Linear but in the Half-Life 2 sense that although you're moving from point a to point b you still feel as though you're traversing large areas.
what he said
glade23 is offline  
Old 07-16-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
cof_3pc

cof_3pc's Avatar
Re: How do you imagine DNF's levels ?
Yeah, +1. That's why I love Half Life 2, and even the old single player Unreal games. Big open levels, and changing scenery. That makes a FPS game for me.
__________________
RAWR! I'm in the Duketard Guild, because I am a lvl 70 bad ass. "Eat shit and die!"
cof_3pc is offline  
Old 07-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
Rapture_Rising

Rapture_Rising's Avatar
Re: How do you imagine DNF's levels ?
I imagine that every level in DNF will be absolutely awesome in every way, or i want my money back
__________________
Here we go folks... The rarest creature in nature... The Duketard. I will now approach him very quitely and... Jam my thumb in his butt hole. That should REALLY piss him off!.
Rapture_Rising is offline  
Old 07-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
crunchy superman

crunchy superman's Avatar
Re: How do you imagine DNF's levels ?
I imagine being very disappointed. Not necessarily by any fault of the developers, but by my own subconscious expectations brought on by the ridiculous development time, and by the namesake of the title.

Of course, that I would actually ever get to be be playing in the first place is a very big leap in logic, so perhaps I should just go ahead and imagine it being perfect in every way.
__________________

crunchy superman is offline  
Old 07-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
conantheking

conantheking's Avatar
Re: How do you imagine DNF's levels ?
Duke Nukem 3D style, less levels but each stage would be longer. Today, the trend in an FPS game however is to offer a campaign that is roughly six hours in length so who knows.

But imagine it with secret levels and lots of secret stashes and it would be an explorable game like DN3D.
__________________
Just an average Duke fan.
conantheking is offline  
Old 07-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
thunderPIN

thunderPIN's Avatar
Re: How do you imagine DNF's levels ?
Judging by the clip of Duke tearing around in the monster truck, that level seems to be large and explorable and that is what I would expect it to be like throughout the game. I agree with Altered Reality.
thunderPIN is offline  
Old 07-18-2010, 06:24 AM   #10
KareBear
Re: How do you imagine DNF's levels ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alithinos View Post
I make this question because I'm thinking a lot lately about the difference between old school games and newer.

Old school games had more levels,while the modern trend is to minimize the number of levels,but making them bigger.

Old FPS's had something like 30 different levels while modern ones have 8-15.

Would you prefer a DNF with 30+ medium levels,or a DNF with ~15 somewhat large levels ?
Uh take a look yourself.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/46...Revealed-Redux
KareBear is offline  
Old 07-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
cof_3pc

cof_3pc's Avatar
Re: How do you imagine DNF's levels ?
Argh! Stop posting that. We had to try hard enough the last time to not read it.
__________________
RAWR! I'm in the Duketard Guild, because I am a lvl 70 bad ass. "Eat shit and die!"
cof_3pc is offline  
Old 07-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
alexgk

alexgk's Avatar
Re: How do you imagine DNF's levels ?
Quote:
How do you imagine DNF's levels ?
Huge.
__________________
Playable demo this year! Confirmed!!
alexgk is offline  
Old 07-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #13
Mighty Boot

Mighty Boot's Avatar
Re: How do you imagine DNF's levels ?
Half of the reason Duke 3D was so fun was because of level design: lots of small levels with great floorplans, multiple ways to tackle most levels, and a great deal of verticality when most fps'es were flat mazes. There were lots of locations, but they didn't seem too different from each other (besides maybe episode 4) like in Painkiller.

I expected huge levels that were basically a few Duke 3Dish levels tied together. I was always prepared to lose the vertical aspect though. I hoped for lots of puzzels. Shadow warrior had fun levels so I didn't think they lost the touch or anyting.

That being said, I haven't read the design docs and I refuse to.
__________________
You gots ta believe!
Mighty Boot is offline  
Old 07-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #14
Mr Bear

Mr Bear's Avatar
Re: How do you imagine DNF's levels ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cof_3pc View Post
Argh! Stop posting that. We had to try hard enough the last time to not read it.
Who's "we"? I, for one, was very glad to see that when it first came about; probably the closest I'll ever come to playing DNF.
Mr Bear is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 09:43 AM   #15
cof_3pc

cof_3pc's Avatar
Re: How do you imagine DNF's levels ?
A lot of people don't want to see that because some of us would still like to enjoy the game when it comes out.
__________________
RAWR! I'm in the Duketard Guild, because I am a lvl 70 bad ass. "Eat shit and die!"
cof_3pc is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #16
Altered Reality

Altered Reality's Avatar
Re: How do you imagine DNF's levels ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cof_3pc View Post
A lot of people don't want to see that because some of us would still like to enjoy the game when it comes out.
Except that the two things (reading the document and enjoying the game) are not related. Especially if the leaked document is fake, as these clues seem to suggest.
__________________
[...] We view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time. (Gabe Newell, Valve)
I'm the worst enemy in film-making and a completely talentless idiot. (Uwe Boll)
Faith is why you are wrong. (Crosma)
Last edited by Altered Reality; 07-20-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Altered Reality is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 02:40 PM   #17
cof_3pc

cof_3pc's Avatar
Re: How do you imagine DNF's levels ?
How are they not related? If you already know the storyline of the game, that's half of the experience of playing it through the first time ruined.

They might be fake, yes, but how the hell does knowing the entire story not ruin the game? I realize this could become a matter of opinion, but I am willing to bet I'd have more people on my side than not.
__________________
RAWR! I'm in the Duketard Guild, because I am a lvl 70 bad ass. "Eat shit and die!"
cof_3pc is offline  
Old 07-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #18
Mr Bear

Mr Bear's Avatar
Re: How do you imagine DNF's levels ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Reality View Post
Except that the two things (reading the document and enjoying the game) are not related. Especially if the leaked document is fake, as these clues seem to suggest.

I read some of the replies to your hypothesis on duke4.net.....I'm pretty convinced that the plotline overview is genuine.

Not to mention that Charlie Wiederhold himself pretty much confirmed its legitimacy.
Mr Bear is offline  
Old 07-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #19
cof_3pc

cof_3pc's Avatar
Re: How do you imagine DNF's levels ?
Well what I thought made it pretty plausible was the fact that we already had heard things from 3DR sources about the intro and the casino and things along that line, and it fit into the plot perfectly.

On the other hand someone could very easily have taken what we do know, and mixed it with a bunch of bullshit.

I will not put all of my eggs in either basket, as there is no proof either way.
__________________
RAWR! I'm in the Duketard Guild, because I am a lvl 70 bad ass. "Eat shit and die!"
cof_3pc is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:27 PM.

Page generated in 0.17281890 seconds (100.00% PHP - 0% MySQL) with 18 queries

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Website is 1987-2014 Apogee Software, Ltd.
Ideas and messages posted here become property of Apogee Software Ltd.