Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem Forever
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #1801
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Re: The Jace Hall DNF Footage Thread
The footage shown is the trailer. So, the trailer does make you want to play the game... because of what it shows.

Which was it's purpose.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 06-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #1802
Kitsumi32
I don't want to be a me-too, but Music/Editing/Duke being Duke was what I loved about the trailer as well.

And for whatever reason I get a Die Hard vibe out of the 2001 trailer.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:41 PM   #1803
Superczar

I gotta agree with the '01 trailer music - it simply blows away the music in the last teaser and it's one of the reasons I watch the trailer a lot (and I have the theme on CD too). But the trailer also was just flat-out full of cool shit at the time, the destructible environment, the Octobrain was definitely a HOLY SHIT moment for me, and the attention to detail which was superb for it's time...
Old 06-08-2008, 10:43 PM   #1804
MeatWagon

They ought to finish up that old 2001 build of duke and put it out on the Wii
Old 06-08-2008, 10:52 PM   #1805
rockmanekuzu8

Arrow Re: The Jace Hall DNF Footage Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaloS View Post
What exactly do you mean with that?

I think it's fearly certain that grab will grab things like a sandwich for example, or a coke, some things that are just small enough to grab... You know. But I could also imagine, that there will be interactivity where you just use your mouse to do stuff. Like the doom 3 computerpads. Such interactivity can also be seen in the 2001 trailer and I doubt they ditched it because it's a very natural kind of interaction. So using a computer, a phone, a microwave, etc... could very well be done without using any buttons whatsoever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeholder View Post
in the weapon selection menu, and on the right of the crosshair. The Ego health on the left. i think

Use/Grab is for interactivity. so you can use the use key on everything...

and WTF is a glopp gun.. its a shrink ray people GODDDD!@!!!
Thanks guys!! I just really needed to know about the Interactivity and Ammo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgk View Post
1.- MUSIC

EPIC. Being orchestrated helped a lot to the general feeling of the game. I'd suggest to combine both (rock & orchestra) for the new trailer...

2.- GAMEPLAY

Of course, seeing glimpses of the real deal was amazing. The shown gameplay didn't spoil anything about the story, and reflected the action and interactivity elements of the 2001 build of DNF...

3.- INTRO

The trailer started with a blast right in your face. You knew something really good was going to blow your mind in a few moments. It gave the fans time to prepare themselves emotionally...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Miller View Post
Excellent comments. George, Brian Hook (producer), and I are reading them all. I'll post the inspiration for the trailer late tomorrow.
Holy shit it's Scott!! I never seen him here!! That's Awesome and nice to see him reply to us it's an honor as well as George, Joe and the Rest of 3DR talking to us their loyal fans!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserSoze View Post
1.) The music and editing. Why both #1? You can't have one without the other. The music fits perfectly with the epic feel of the footage. The editing is just about perfect which leads to.....

2.) The trailer tells the story. Many trailers(both movie and games) often make the mistake of just showing us the "holy shit" moments and forget they're supposed to *sell* the property while leaving us wanting more.

The 2001 trailer began by letting you know shit has hit the fan(great hook) and guides the viewer into what we should expect to do/see. A very good balance of small details like the npcs talking about the aliens up to Duke jumping on a motorcycle. Left me saying "Hey man, I want to do/play that right now!"

3.) Length of the trailer. Deserves it's own point aside from editing mentioned in point 1. They could have edited together 10 minutes of footage if they'd wanted to. A couple of minutes(pretty much like a full movie trailer) accomplished all that needed to be shown. Kept me glued to the monitor watching it without it being excessive.

BTW: I think the "Aliens" movie trailer was the inspiration.
Great ideas dudes!! I'm sure they will do better, they're 3DR of course!! Oh and 3DR please release the Trailer this year and as soon as you can... Thanks and later good luck and god bless!! You guys rock regardless of the time it's taken for DNF!!
Last edited by rockmanekuzu8; 06-08-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:09 PM   #1806
Kalki

Quote:
Originally Posted by wieder View Post
You don't say...!
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 06-08-2008, 11:13 PM   #1807
Angilion
Quote:
Yeah, also it's fairly hard to top the 2001 trailer - It's simply the best trailer in gaming history.
True. If the 2001 DNF (version 2) was released as a finished game today, I'd buy it. Sure, the graphics are 7 years old and it shows, but I don't care. The game I play most is an ASCII Roguelike called Adom. Obviously, that wouldn't work for a FPS game, but the graphics on the 2001 DNF (version 2) are adequate.

If 3DR ever release DNF (version 3 or whatever), I'd be happy if it's as good as the trailer they made 7 years ago. If it has better graphics too, that will be a bonus for me, but not important. It will need to have far better graphics than the 2001 version to sell on the mass market, though.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #1808
Angilion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeholder View Post
you'd be surprised how many people think its all a hoax, well who's laughing now
Don't laugh too soon. We currently have a random 30 seconds of a small part of small pieces of DNF, as seen by a camera filiming a monitor. We had a lot more than that 10 years ago, and again 7 years ago.

If DNF is ever released, it will be time for you to laugh. Not that I'd hear you, because I'd be playing DNF.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:19 PM   #1809
Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy2 View Post
Actually that stripper looks better than the ones in GTA IV.
that's exactly what i thought
Old 06-08-2008, 11:24 PM   #1810
Angilion
Quote:
Originally Posted by duubhglas View Post
Me too!

But in Vista, I need to use DosBox and I can't play it fullscreen... Any ideas?
eduke32 and the High Resolution Pack.

Really. Do it now. It's slightly more fuss than usual to install, so read the installation instructions for both. You need to manually move a file or two, nothing major.

You then get DN3D running fullscreen on Vista (or XP, for anyone reading who wants that) with vastly better graphics. You can get better sound if you want, too. Game levels take much longer to load with the HRP, but it's a very small price to pay.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:39 PM   #1811
Angilion
Quote:
Originally Posted by duubhglas View Post
I have an Intel DG BUC33 motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2,4 Ghz processor, 8600 GT XXX, 2 Gb ddr2 800 Mhz ram, 320 Gb hard-disk and Crysis just run in medium quality.

I hope Duke runs smoothly in my computer.

But if it don't, I'm so freaking sure I'll upgrade it. Just 'cause of Duke.
Crysis is notorious for hardware requirements.

On the plus side, you have a strong CPU, especially if you overclock it. With the next generation of GPUs due to market this month and the raw data on the specs of them looking surprisingly powerful, in a few months you'll probably be able to buy a graphics card much better than an 8600GT for high-budget/low-midrange prices. 8800GTs are in that range already, but they're probably going to be well below the midrange of the new models. DDR2 memory is also extremely cheap at the moment. Depending on your board and how many sticks your current 2GB is on, you might be able to drop another 2GB straight in, which you might want for gaming under Vista.

But it's all pointless speculation because you can't buy DNF. So don't worry about whether your current kit can run it - what is the point?
Old 06-08-2008, 11:51 PM   #1812
zetcom

In my opinion requirements of Duke Nuke Forever will be:
1 GB RAM, AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core 2,5 GHz
GeForce 8500 256MB
Minimal Windows XP with DirectX 9
Old 06-08-2008, 11:57 PM   #1813
Syph

If not for Marty that would have been a quad post... And a little off topic at that.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:02 AM   #1814
Angilion
One point about the 2001 trailer that I think has been touched on but not explicitly stated is the sense of heroism. It's all going down the shitter and a hero is needed to stop it. A hero in the epic saga tradition, a person and not a magic-powers superhero. A modern-day Conan, a contempory Arthur. A person who will stride forward and say "This is wrong. I will end it.", a person who can do that.

The characterisation and interactivity made it possible to envisage yourself properly playing the role of that hero.

That's the core of it, I think. The other things mentioned (the superbly epic version of grabbag, the skilled editing and storytelling, the scope of things the player could do, e.g. riding and sliding a motorbike) were ways in which the core impression was achieved - an interactive epic heroic saga you can truly play.

EDIT: Oh, and keep the Duke speech. It's part of the character. It will have to be worked in properly (cheesiness would jar in a serious setting), but you can do that. Most of the time it's Duke talking to himself - I've always interpreted it as his thoughts - so cheesiness is fine when it's in character. Speech is very much appropriate when interacting with other characters too - I think it's a strong part of making Duke a richer character and thus making the game a more immersive experience. Even just a word can make a difference. For example, when the EDF soldier, hiding behind cover, sarcastically asks if Duke is going to save the world by himself, Duke could just say "Yes" and move out from cover, fighting his way forward. The EDF soldier is brave and sensible. He seeks cover and holds his ground when out-gunned, holding the enemy while other people can flee. Duke is a hero, the hero, so he does more. He can. He does. He is the hero. You then get the classic one on one fight, the agon of classical Greek culture, with every boss fight.
Last edited by Angilion; 06-09-2008 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:20 AM   #1815
J.P.
2001 DNF TRAILER SUCCESS POINTS

1. The Musical Score, sooo cool, definitly "epically" oriented. Very Dramatic. On that note, I think the score set pace as opposed to a storyboard process. So, like a good monologue, the music had a defined beginning, middle and end. A clear, rising arch of action is established (eventually fading into credits and Gus's bit).

2. The Cinematic Direction, fantastically composed! Also features an excellent balance of revealed features including several interactive bits highlighting a variety of environments, scenarios, etc. Lots of dramatic "builds", including the introduction & evolution of prior 3DRealms titles.

3. The Provocation of In-Game Characters to do something about it, and or suggest that it can't be done. The "it" in the previous sentence is defined as a problem, a conflict, "something is rotten in the state of Denmark". Furthermore; something not to be overlooked, ALL CHARACTERS TALK TO YOU! The protagonist(Mr. Nukem/You), is never shown in third-person ("as object", a la the famous Gears of War trailer or new DNF teaser). This is perhaps why some of us have described the trailer as "hooking".

NOTE: The above points listed do not represent THE single blueprint for success. Plenty of the Halo 3 commericals are Very creative, Very cool, and quite different.
Criticisms of the 2001 trailer also exist.
Think this borders the snoody?..HAH! and I held back soo much...
Last edited by J.P.; 06-09-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:21 AM   #1816
alexgk

Actually, the 2001 trailer made me a Duke fan. Somewhere in the Internet I found this little piece of art, and discovered the hero that is forever. After researching everything about Duke Nukem, I arrived at these forums, just to stay and be part of this fabulous community. I owe this trailer a lot...
Old 06-09-2008, 12:53 AM   #1817
Ironside

Scott,

I think you should stick to the same pattern as in the 2001 trailer. The little hero tune in that trailer is what made everyone want to be Duke. The music was perfect and I for one would love to see a remake of that trailer using the same music.

cheers
Old 06-09-2008, 01:59 AM   #1818
Micki!

Re: ingame footage: what about the leg???
Since we're talking about the leg, it mildly annoys me that his pants are not tucked inside his boots like in Duke3D... It's clearly seen in the 2007 Teaser, it really looks more than a shoe than a boot...

And i do think, he looks more badass with Boots showing clearly, and not almost completely covered by his jeans... It just feels more millitary/combat-ready like
Old 06-09-2008, 02:17 AM   #1819
Malgon

Cool I can't wait to hear what Scott has to say about the inspiration behind the 2001 trailer.

So many people have put it well on why the 2001 trailer was such a success. For me the 3 elements would be:

1. The music. One of the defining elements in the trailer, it set the epic mood for everything being showcased, and complimented it perfectly.

2. The pacing and editing of the trailer. The trailer had the right buildup with all the scenes, which allowed ample time for all the necessary information to be conveyed to the viewer. Not a single moment was wasted.

3. The gameplay. What was shown was mindblowing, and executed in such a fashion that whether you were following the game or not, you wanted to play it badly. All the way from the old games to the closing line from Gus, was just pure awesome.

I think all these aspects combined to create something truly special that has stuck with many of us for all these years.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:22 AM   #1820
rockmanekuzu8

Arrow Re: The Jace Hall DNF Footage Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgerda View Post
Maybe thats where the Grab in Use/Grab comes in.
Now that would be cool if you can interact with the Strippers like that...

By the way 3DR please show us the Trailer this Summer, if the game gets delayed you can always make another Media Release. To get the people to comeback and get ready to buy DNF when it Releases Finally this year or the next Afterall...
Last edited by rockmanekuzu8; 06-09-2008 at 02:25 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:43 AM   #1821
Spooger

Hell, I'm sure someone has already said this, but there's a deluge of variety in the 2001 trailer where every following scene felt, somehow, consistant with what came before it.

The trailer consists of a rising action all the way up to the title. There's a minimal amount of setup, which leads the viewer into scenes that, really, are only connected by guns, blood, screaming, and finally, a stripper after the climax.

In a trailer, people aren't usually interested in the "why" of what they're seeing; they're intrigued by the context, of course, but the imediate action of the scene takes centerstage. Each scene in the trailer is showing you something: maybe some interactive set (such as the pinball machine), or methods you can use to dispatch your enemies. The old DNF trailer magically strung together scenes of immediate action -- none of which rely on each other -- that rise into the overall excitement you get from watching it. Every scene in the trailer tells a half-story just well enough that you want to be there.

While it'd be hard to beat the old trailer, I would suggest throwing away the need for a historical buildup. Don't bother showing the 2D DNFs, or even Duke 3D -- let DNF stand on its own two legs and string together "scenes" from the game that speak for it as its own product. For people who don't know Duke, pick a great one-liner to introduce the character to a new audience immediately. The music and editing are hugely important, but in the end it's the game people will be playing: tap into that rising action with each scene you choose to show.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:16 AM   #1822
Talos

Another thing: I think that the Indiana Jones 4 trailer has got a similar approach in it's presentation of things in regards to the 2001 DNF trailer. Regardless of the film being any good or not, the trailer got Indi fans uberly exited (Link to the trailer).
Now I'd like to point out what exactly hit the nail in the Indi trailer. You guys at 3DR might want to consider this in a new DNF trailer ...

DNF 2001 - Trailer
You started the 2001 trailer for DNF with scenes from old Duke Nukem games, which was perfect (I said that already in my three points).Then you switched to an panoramic view over Las Vegas. Okay... Let's take a look at the Indiana Jones 4 trailer.

Indiana Jones 4 - Trailer

First you get your scenes from the old movies with some text lines. So far it's pretty reminiscent to the 2001 trailer, although I have to admit that it's put together quite a bit more illustrious. Mind the coloring as well as the text fonts and other effects for image transition for example. Also mind the carefully chosen scenes from the other movies. You know that this is an Indi trailer the second you begin to watch it.
But here comes the BIG difference: The hero introduction. That is what got fans pumped! I think the introduction to Jones himself in this particular trailer is just perfect. The original music starts and you see an all too famous silhouette.
After that it's basically your standard hollywood big budget trailer (not too shabby either but nothing too special). Note though that you get to see him punching people quite often towards the end of the trailer which is a thing that establishes connection to the old movies. Punching is what Indi's best at

My point is
I believe that if you pull something similar off you really might top the 2001 trailer. You should really think about the introduction to the hero, since this might be something thats a bit missing in the 2001 trailer. Think about connections to the old Duke Nukem games (above all Duke Nukem 3D of course), even if they're subtle (like the punching scenes in the Indiana Jones 4 trailer). Also you might want to consider watching other trailers for "epic" movies. You might find some things that give you goosebumps. If you do - write them down and consider them for a new DNF trailer.

These are basically my tips for you guys. I hope it helps you to forge a new kick a$$ trailer.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:41 AM   #1823
peoplessi

Good points, but I don't really agree on Indiana Jones 4 trailer being a good reference point. The latter half of the trailer is bit empty, and doesn't really bond so that it flows well.

For me, 2001 trailer of DNF was

- action packed
- well paced, meaning editing, music and all that
- foremost showed the things that make DNF differ from other FPS games

Also, the funny end is thing to credit also
Old 06-09-2008, 03:45 AM   #1824
Talos

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoplessi View Post
Good points, but I don't really agree on Indiana Jones 4 trailer being a good reference point. The latter half of the trailer is bit empty, and doesn't really bond so that it flows well.
Oh absolutely! I think the beginning of the Indi 4 trailer is what really stands out. The rest ist mediocre at best. My point is all about the hero introduction I guess. I could've said that with one sentence I guess but oh well ...
Old 06-09-2008, 03:45 AM   #1825
yossa

A couple of years ago Scott spilled the beans on 2001 trailer inspiration and all I can say is that it just goes to show that a lot of times you shouldn't judge the final product by its trailer
Last edited by yossa; 06-09-2008 at 04:09 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:04 AM   #1826
JobivanHiob

If we are at it. How long did it take to finish the trailer?
Old 06-09-2008, 04:46 AM   #1827
Parkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossa View Post
A couple of years ago Scott spilled the beans on 2001 trailer inspiration and all I can say is that it just goes to show that a lot of times you shouldn't judge the final product by its trailer
So I wasn't imagining things. I think I recall which film it was now to.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:52 AM   #1828
Parkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micki! View Post
Since we're talking about the leg, it mildly annoys me that his pants are not tucked inside his boots like in Duke3D... It's clearly seen in the 2007 Teaser, it really looks more than a shoe than a boot...

And i do think, he looks more badass with Boots showing clearly, and not almost completely covered by his jeans... It just feels more millitary/combat-ready like
Actualy he only had the pants tucked into his boots in 3rd person. In first person he had the pants over the boots. I prefer them over the boots. If he had some type of combat pants it would look beter to have them in the boots though.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:11 AM   #1829
Steve

Just watched the 2001 trailer. Pretty depressing, really. It was an amazing looking build of a game
Old 06-09-2008, 05:32 AM   #1830
WestSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Just watched the 2001 trailer. Pretty depressing, really. It was an amazing looking build of a game
Imagine how it would feal to have actually worked on it.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:34 AM   #1831
Angilion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooger View Post
[..]
For people who don't know Duke, pick a great one-liner to introduce the character to a new audience immediately. The music and editing are hugely important, but in the end it's the game people will be playing: tap into that rising action with each scene you choose to show.
If they go that way, I suggest "I'm back and I'm in a bad mood", prior to bullets and boots flying. That way, people who don't know will realise that there were previous Duke Nukem games.

Although it's possible that 3DR don't want to remind people of that fact, or tell people who don't already know.

Or maybe, perhaps more in character, "Those alien bastards shot up my ride again", if that fits with the trailer.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:38 AM   #1832
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen4ever View Post
There were some parts of the trailer that prevented it from being the Trailer that is Forever. Like the crappy face of that chick and the security guard. Sure it was good for the time but it still held the trailer back. Also the motions of that rat like monster that broke through the door wasn't that good.
It wasn't a rat-like monster. It was a pig-like monster. Specifically of the cop variety.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:13 AM   #1833
Plagman

I always thought the inspiration for the 2001 trailer was the trailer for The Phantom Menace. They're nearly identical if you think about it.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:20 AM   #1834
djc23
Quote:
Originally Posted by django View Post
* Duke has more than one dimension - the only videogame character I know who has this.
I love Duke but this is complete bullocks. What is great about Duke is that he is so one-dimensional. So far 3drealms have had no pretentions of making him anything other than an 80's style action hero. That said, I would welcome some depth in 3drealms. Having Duke being intially treated as 'dinosaur' whose methods and attitude do not fit in the modern world, which could also be a commentary on current game trends too, would be interesting.

And if you seriously think Duke is the only videogame character with more than one-dimension you really need to play some more games.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:43 AM   #1835
Talos

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc23 View Post
That said, I would welcome some depth in 3drealms. Having Duke being intially treated as 'dinosaur' whose methods and attitude do not fit in the modern world, which could also be a commentary on current game trends too, would be interesting.
No... I don't think so. What you suggest sounds like the crapload of sh*t that Die Hard 4 is. McClane is having problems with his hero role and is nearly crying when he talks to that boy in the car - oh boohooo gimme a break!

Duke is about kickin a$$ and I don't think that anyone would treat him like a "dinosaur" like you said. Why? Because he would trash his balls and make him kiss the sidewalk, thats why!

Make this game old school - no duke psycho dilemma crap ...
Old 06-09-2008, 06:46 AM   #1836
duubhglas

Quote:
Make this game old school - no duke psycho dilemma crap ...
Totally agreed.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:48 AM   #1837
Micki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkar View Post
Actualy he only had the pants tucked into his boots in 3rd person. In first person he had the pants over the boots. I prefer them over the boots. If he had some type of combat pants it would look beter to have them in the boots though.
I was in all, refering to the 3'rd person view...
It's the same with the box cover, Action Figures, the Statue, pretty much all art i've seen of Duke...
I just get the idea this way, that it aperrantly was the intended way of him to look like this, with tucked in pants in his boots...

I find him to look slightly more casual dressed all of a sudden, it just makes him look un-Duke3D-ish kind of...

I guess i can get used to it though, it's not like it's a problem
Old 06-09-2008, 06:50 AM   #1838
duubhglas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plagman View Post
I always thought the inspiration for the 2001 trailer was the trailer for The Phantom Menace. They're nearly identical if you think about it.
"Nearly identical", no way; but fairly similar at some points - course! Nice catch!

edit: Take a look at the "The attack of the clones" trailer too. "Attack" was released may 2002. E3 2001 occured may 2001. I don't know if the "Attack" trailer was released this soon, but the traffic scene looks like the Duke's trailer traffic scene.
Last edited by duubhglas; 06-09-2008 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:08 AM   #1839
Micki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plagman View Post
I think you are correct...

Also keeping in mind that 3DR were all going to the premier of the movie that day (i remember the photos)

It might very well be this movie
Old 06-09-2008, 07:21 AM   #1840
Unbeholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanekuzu8 View Post
Now that would be cool if you can interact with the Strippers like that...

By the way 3DR please show us the Trailer this Summer, if the game gets delayed you can always make another Media Release. To get the people to comeback and get ready to buy DNF when it Releases Finally this year or the next Afterall...
discussing release dates = no no

and your pathetic attempts and groveling for a trailer is laughable.

.... but i agree... TRAILER NOWWW!!! lol