Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem Forever
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-26-2006, 05:03 AM   #1
StainedCheeks
Secret Levels?
Whats ur idea of a good secret level?

I would like to see Dukes house as a secret level where you can get a 2nd Gold D.Eagle and duel up. There would also be a large amount of explosive rounds for ur dueled D.eagles.. what would you make?

Old 07-26-2006, 07:40 AM   #2
hell-angel

Re: Secret Levels???
A good secret level? I guess a level with lots of action and even more explosions.
Also with a small reward at the end like more ammo for the next level or a new weapon. which you would otherwise get a bit later.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
Arc-Demon

Post Re: Secret Levels???
I'd like to see an exact replication of the 3D REALMS building (or suite) as a secret level. Just like the level POSTAL in DN3D was a real post office near 3D REALMS.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:13 AM   #4
the true duke

secret levels really arnt that great. they add a extra levels but is the game gonna just be get to point a to b, but there's a point c and going through c you get to b and to the next level.

im hoping the game isnt like duke 3d. where you start here and go to there and have to find key cards and shit like that. that would suck.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:46 AM   #5
StainedCheeks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc-Demon
I'd like to see an exact replication of the 3D REALMS building (or suite) as a secret level. Just like the level POSTAL in DN3D was a real post office near 3D REALMS.
dude, was the north Garland post office in DN3D? i didnt find that one. thats cool! damm..just goes to show how much replay value is in the Duke

Old 07-26-2006, 12:39 PM   #6
Arc-Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainedCheeks
dude, was the north Garland post office in DN3D? i didnt find that one. thats cool! damm..just goes to show how much replay value is in the Duke
-It's in "The Birth" Episode and it's not a secret.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:35 PM   #7
Destroyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by hell-angel
A good secret level? I guess a level with lots of action and even more explosions.
yes lots and lots of explosives with lots of explosive environment.
say a fireworks factory
Old 07-27-2006, 01:00 AM   #8
hell-angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer
say a fireworks factory
OH.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:04 AM   #9
SyntaxN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer
say a fireworks factory
The ultimate performance killer...
Old 07-27-2006, 01:05 AM   #10
DeeperThought

Re: Secret Levels?
Haven't you noticed? In DNF, all the levels are secret levels.

DUKE NUKEM: ATTRITION
XP based weapon upgrades, progressive difficulty, and more.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:08 AM   #11
hell-angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperThought
You know, this is kind of funny.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:09 AM   #12
StainedCheeks
yeah, no shit. cant wait to find them!

Old 07-27-2006, 02:15 AM   #13
brabee

dunno, but the secret level should have a totaly different setting and atmosphere than rest of the game... like the missile silo in original sin...
Old 07-27-2006, 04:01 AM   #14
hell-angel

It should be flowing though with the place that you find the secret level, so no moonbase when you come out of the sewers unless you a teleporter.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:04 AM   #15
Commando Nukem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell-angel
It should be flowing though with the place that you find the secret level, so no moonbase when you come out of the sewers unless you a teleporter.
Yeah if you find a side street it should take you where the side street goes. Not to the artic. Unless DNF has been changed to an artic setting, in which case I think i'll cry. No, really. I'll bawl like a baby who drops his ice cream.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:43 PM   #16
Phayzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperThought
Im considering sigging that...
Old 07-27-2006, 08:09 PM   #17
the true duke

i like exotic places where i cant go in real life. so going to the antartica is cool with me, but not the moon anymore. too many games used that so many times its not that fun anymore.

i cant stand to play the space-station missions, there not fun anymore.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:35 PM   #18
Shadowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brabee
dunno, but the secret level should have a totaly different setting and atmosphere than rest of the game... like the missile silo in original sin...
It would be funny to see duke plunged into some kind of zombie survival horror for no apparent reason but i agree with hell-angel about the levels connecting to one another.

I would like to see a time-travel secret level, where duke uses alien technology to travel into the future and finds out what happens if Earth falls. (i know this is kind of a contradiction of what i just said but with Duke it could be possible.)

*Now a little fist person fiction to explain (possible intro cutscene to the secret level)*

'You emerge from the time-travel pod to find yourself standing on the Las Vegas strip, only this time the buildings are in a state of decay, a thick layer of sand covers the ground in the now near-desolate city.

You swear you could see shadows moving in the dark spots around the landscape. Your investigation of the landscape is cut short as a grunting noise approaches from behind. You turn to see the vague figure of a pigcop standing before you, only this specimin is larger and more muscular than before. A strange device protrudes from his neck. He grunts again and a robotic voice emenates from the device: "Relinquish your weapons human!".

You hold a single pipebomb in your hands which you prompty shove into the pigcops drooling mouth. A swift kick from the mighty boot launches the pigcop into what you suspect to have been a fountain. As the pigcop tries to regain his senses you turn and walk away drawing the detonator for the pipebomb. Pressing the trigger the pigcop flies into the sky in many pieces surrounded by a cloud of sand and flame.

"Still just bacon in a different wrapper..."

Pondering the landscape once more you trudge through the sand.

"Time to find out what happened here."

*Finish*

You procede through the rest of the level uncovering little pointers that indicate what happened (like that aliens took most of the babes, the EDF were destroyed, Earth's weaponry was taken and integrated to the alien technology etc). The level ends with you tracking down your time pod (which was seized by the enemy forces) and battling some big creature, alien or whatever to get back to your own time and prevent the fall of Earth.

"If I did nothing wrong, then why do i feel like a traitor?" -Me in March 2006
Old 07-28-2006, 04:14 AM   #19
StainedCheeks
thats cool
they could do this, it sounds really good. id rather go into the future then to go back in time. that is a great concept and could verry well be the story of Duke 5, provided there is still plenty of chicky babes left in the future to save.

great little story, i like it

Old 07-28-2006, 04:18 AM   #20
Micki!

I really liked this part Shadowy: (bolded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy
You turn to see the vague figure of a pigcop standing before you, only this specimin is larger and more muscular than before. A strange device protrudes from his neck. He grunts again and a robotic voice emenates from the device: "Relinquish your weapons human!".

You hold a single pipebomb in your hands which you prompty shove into the pigcops drooling mouth. A swift kick from the mighty boot launches the pigcop into what you suspect to have been a fountain. As the pigcop tries to regain his senses you turn and walk away drawing the detonator for the pipebomb. Pressing the trigger the pigcop flies into the sky in many pieces surrounded by a cloud of sand and flame.

The One-liner is very fitting, that's why i like it...
Old 07-28-2006, 04:32 AM   #21
brabee

but... I said like the missile silo in original sin... and that meant you had to go to the silo to stop a few rocket launchs and after that you "returned" to the main story line...
and of course, probably no sideway leads to antarktida or something...
Old 07-28-2006, 05:18 AM   #22
Shadowy

Hhg Re: Secret Levels?
Thanks Micki and StainedCheeks for the praise . Glad you liked it. I do little creative stories like that all the time. I was particularly proud of the one liner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brabee
but... I said like the missile silo in original sin... and that meant you had to go to the silo to stop a few rocket launchs and after that you "returned" to the main story line...
and of course, probably no sideway leads to antarktida or something...
i was just trying to get at the different atmosphere and setting, not a particular reference to the sin level you mentioned, so i suggested a different atmosphere and setting for Duke.

Last edited by Shadowy; 07-28-2006 at 05:21 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:16 AM   #23
brabee

No problem, Shadowy, I just wanted to make myself clear. And... I must confess that I didnt read the whole of your post 'caus I didn't have time earlier...
But, I think I can agree with you, what you suggest is just like in sin - out of the place (and time...) but not ou of the story itself.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:20 AM   #24
Arc-Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy

No...I'm sorry but that is just way too damn corny for Duke to say...
Old 07-28-2006, 04:56 PM   #25
the true duke

i agree and the time machine and duke has been done to death already.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:32 PM   #26
StainedCheeks
yeah but its been so long they could rehash it. and it was in 3rd person.

Duke 5 will be fps, zero hour and the other 3rd person side scrollers type duke games seem apart from D3D and DNF. well to me they do. i think they will rehash thier old ideas and that is great because they were awwsumm ideas. there is plenty of room for duke to get stuck in the future in a ravaged earth.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:37 PM   #27
Telee

I think the secret levels should just be alernative routes to get to the next area. If you find the regular exit, you take that way to get somewhere - if you find the secret exit, you take that way to get that same place.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:09 AM   #28
Shadowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the true duke
i agree and the time machine and duke has been done to death already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainedCheeks
yeah but its been so long they could rehash it. and it was in 3rd person.

Duke 5 will be fps, zero hour and the other 3rd person side scrollers type duke games seem apart from D3D and DNF. well to me they do. i think they will rehash thier old ideas and that is great because they were awwsumm ideas. there is plenty of room for duke to get stuck in the future in a ravaged earth.
If not time-travel, Duke could get captured and held in a stasis prison, where he is trapped in a world of pure nightmare, where Duke is not cool or buff, there are no chicks to save and the world is totally boring. To prevent it being a boring level to play, the aliens under attack by the EDF could start having system failures so Duke's nigtmare world begins to develop faults, until an eventual system crash (end of level) when Duke gets thrown back into reality.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:52 AM   #29
qed
Secret levels in DNF?
i think that this will be the game of the year ones they have released it and really is ready for action! Well..... that is my opinion, maybe you will think differently?! There is one question that is really bugging my mind for a long time now: for crying out loud, will there be secret levels in duke nukem forever, just like in duke nukem 3d? I really hope so because this is one of the reasons i am still playing dn3d. The first time i played this game was in 1997, and i ended it in 1998. I found 2 secret levels in the end, the other three are still a mystery to me. So i decided to play it again on my pentium 2,6 ghz, not under a dosbox, because it doesn't work properly in that manner, noooooooooooooooooo, i am playing it under the dos- prompt, and i am glad to tell you that it runs very smoothly under it. But WILL THERE BE SECRET LEVELS IN DNFOREVER? There certainly will be secret areas i think, but for the third time :................, well, you know what i mean by now, hopefully?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greetings, andre
Old 07-17-2007, 05:23 PM   #30
Colicedus

Re: secret levels in dn forever?
I hope so too...
Thats what got me hooked to Tomb Raider one, three, and five.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:25 PM   #31
alexgk

Secret areas are a Duke Nukem's trademark, they'll be there.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:56 PM   #32
Steve

Secret levels kick ass.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:15 PM   #33
Nacho

Well made secret levels make games awesome. Take a path you normally would not be able to take in a level and you get to run through a bonus level with things you might not see in the rest of the game. Adds replayability and compells you to explore.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:18 AM   #34
Sharpie

I hope there is secret levels
I love that feeling when you find a secret path that takes you to a new level

Quote:
Well made secret levels make games awesome. Take a path you normally would not be able to take in a level and you get to run through a bonus level with things you might not see in the rest of the game. Adds replayability and compells you to explore.
And yes when you have well made secret levels it makes a game AWESOME AND ADDS A GREAT AMOUNT OF REPLAYABILITY!!!!

I am so excited about the next release of media for DNF!!! something tells me its going to be big!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFct6lg0Vmo <<<< Watch for a laugh
Old 07-18-2007, 02:30 AM   #35
Ellolo17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
I am so excited about the next release of media for DNF!!! something tells me its going to be big!!
The same i though after every screenshot...

(first one: yeah, finally. So the project is on again, next one = trailer.
Second: yeah, a pig cop and a "dark level", they are going. Next one = trailer.
Third: yeah, on magazines, also a new 3dr game. Next one = trailer

...)

Old 07-18-2007, 03:23 AM   #36
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellolo17 View Post
first one: yeah, finally. So the project is on again, next one = trailer.
Second: yeah, a pig cop and a "dark level", they are going. Next one = trailer.
Third: yeah, on magazines, also a new 3dr game. Next one = trailer
Don't get your hopes up, why would they jump from absolute media silence for 4-6 years to a few thumbnails to trailer? That last step seems a little insane IMO...

On-topic though:

Yeah I really want to see secret levels/paths, because of reasons mentioned above, but also because it gives 3DR legitimate reasons to make goofy references. (Dopefish spraytags anyone?)
She's pretty, not "damn-she's-making-my-noodle-dance-samba"-pretty, but still very pretty... - Micki!
Old 07-18-2007, 04:53 AM   #37
Ellolo17
Dont worry Rider,

I'm made of hope

On-topic: in Sonic Adventure sega made (after release) an remake of the first level from sonic 1 (megadrive/genesis) in 3d. It would be good if we see any apogee map re-made in 3d for DNF. What about an broken arcade machine hidden in a map? when duke "uses" it, the machine "teleports"/abduce duke into that secret map. If duke looks to the right side he can see the glass of the screen and the room where arcade is.

What about duke nukem 2 first level?

Old 07-18-2007, 10:29 AM   #38
ash678
thats what i think is bland about most fps at the moment theres not many secrets there is never any secret levels and its just straight forward. ah man i guess the good old days are nearlly gone
Old 07-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #39
hell-angel

Re: Secret levels in DNF?
I think they are coming back actually. Gameplay is getting more important for the developers
Old 07-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #40
Master Blaster

Re: Secret levels in DNF?
Yeah, secret levels would be cool.
Ok you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The 12-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that? - Ash (Army of Darkness)