Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem Forever
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-19-2007, 10:35 AM   #401
naddie
Re: New DNF screenshot in Game Informer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
Wrong. That's your interpretation of it. There are two issues here.

1) My personal opinion. Can't stand team based play. Hate it hate it. Will never like it.

2) My professional opinion. I know some people like it, but it is NOT the predominant way of play. However, keep in mind, I don't make the decisions on what go into the game. Whether I like it or not is totally irrelevant.
I was expressing a personal opinion. Just like you were. And just because I happen to work for 3DR, you automatically translated it as if it was company policy. It is not.
Fair enough. But with small quips, it's easy to misinterpret.

Quote:
Now keep in mind a lot of folks here aren't fans of team based play either. Some are. But the folks who make the decisions generally are not. I mean look at our past output. IF were fans of that, don't you think it would be in more games?
This is where it starts to steer into what I was afraid of. The people who ARE in charge of the game don't like it so they won't put it in the game. Yes, classic deathmatch was fun back in the day because it was new and exciting. Gamers are past that. It is why BF and Halo are lasting. It is also one of the reason I don't play Prey anymore. It was fun while it last (single player), but I wasn't feeling the deathmatch.

Quote:
Plus this really is off-topic. THis has nothing to do with the reason this thread exists. If you want to gripe about me, please do it in another thread. Thank you.
I agree. Moving on.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:37 AM   #402

Oh for the love of god, a 10 page thread and I'm looking around desperatley.....and all I find is a blurry tiny barely understandable image? Damnit guys, cut it out.

Excessive teasing leads to disfunction you know, is that what you want? Is it? Our collective little fellas can't take this much longer.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:45 AM   #403
naddie
I didn't exactly shat myself when I saw the screenshot. More like prairie dogging...
Old 06-19-2007, 10:47 AM   #404
Kalki

Dysfunction, huh? You do realize there won't be any stripper nudity in the game. They call it the "striptease" for a reason. If the tease-shots hurt so much, DNF might end up making you impotent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddie View Post
This is where it starts to steer into what I was afraid of. The people who ARE in charge of the game don't like it so they won't put it in the game. Yes, classic deathmatch was fun back in the day because it was new and exciting. Gamers are past that. It is why BF and Halo are lasting. It is also one of the reason I don't play Prey anymore. It was fun while it last (single player), but I wasn't feeling the deathmatch.
They're gamers themselves and will make the game they want to play. That about applies to any company with a fair degree of independance.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 06-19-2007, 10:48 AM   #405
Tedades

It will be a big shocker when the first high resolution screenshot is released (yippee! details!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dukeit.jpg (82.8 KB, 164 views)
Last edited by Tedades; 06-19-2007 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:51 AM   #406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalki View Post
Dysfunction, huh? You do realize there won't be any stripper nudity in the game. They call it the "striptease" for a reason. If the tease-shots hurt so much, DNF might end up making you impotent.
Well I can't be the only long time fan who's getting a little tired of these teaser shots. I'd prefer they show us nothing until they have the real media ready.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:54 AM   #407
Kalki

Close your eyes and stay away until you hear the news you're waiting for? George has given people that advice for years!
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 06-19-2007, 10:56 AM   #408
gt1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienAssKicker View Post
You know, you can only be teased for so long until you just say something like "screw it girl, I'm going to sleep". This is how I feel right now.
QFT21

"There's no Photoshop filter for talent!" - HotShoe, S&D
"One day when I get rich and win the lottery I'll buy the rights to DNF and finish it myself." - Yatta
Old 06-19-2007, 11:00 AM   #409
Kristian Joensen

Avatar, you are obviously not the only one because othres have sahred similar thought.

Personally I really like these small screenshots that they are sharing with us, I mean from my perspective something from DNF is better than nothing from DNF, in addition to that they have showed 3 screenshots, not 100 or anything remotely like that. It is a matter of do it, do it again twice. That is it so far.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:17 AM   #410
alexgk

Few months ago we were begging to 3DR for pixels of the game. Now we got not one, but three (small) images of DNF, the game we've been dying for, and we're not happy. WTF?
Old 06-19-2007, 11:18 AM   #411
naddie
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgk View Post
Few months ago we were begging to 3DR for pixels of the game. Now we got not one, but three (small) images of DNF, the game we've been dying for, and we're not happy. WTF?
lol, you're funny!

You have been longing for this sandwich for a long time - then you get a morsel. I can see where they are coming from - hunger pangs would be best tamed if they had nothing at all until the whole sandwich comes.

Personally, Starcraft II's unveiling was what I was expecting for DNF - a huge announcement with lots of fan fare and a video to go along with it. Just a standard res video of Duke saying "I'm back!" in 3D glory would be enough to set the media ablaze.
Last edited by naddie; 06-19-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:23 AM   #412
alexgk

Old 06-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #413
Talos

Quote:
1) My personal opinion. Can't stand team based play. Hate it hate it. Will never like it.
And I thought I was the only person...

The shot definatly has that sandworm vibe
Old 06-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #414
Dukefrukem

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgk View Post
those screenshots could be anything... concept art... pre-alpha-render-shots.. almost 10 years, no full res images, no video, barely any news, and three tiny pictures... you're happy with that?
Old 06-19-2007, 11:35 AM   #415
Kalki

Quote:
lol, you're funny!

You have been longing for this sandwich for a long time - then you get a morsel. I can see where they are coming from - hunger pangs would be best tamed if they had nothing at all until the whole sandwich comes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hors_d'oeuvres

Quote:
Personally, Starcraft II's unveiling was what I was expecting for DNF - a huge announcement with lots of fan fare and a video to go along with it. Just a standard res video of Duke saying "I'm back!" in 3D glory would be enough to set the media ablaze.
Who says they want to do that now or right away. They always said you'd be able to see DNF coming a mile away. They're going real slow with this so far, don't you think? Small steps before running past the finish line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukefrukem View Post
those screenshots could be anything... concept art... pre-alpha-render-shots.. almost 10 years, no full res images, no video, barely any news, and three tiny pictures... you're happy with that?
Now you're being anal. George has said that the first two shots were in-game. The GI shot is the only one I haven't heard him comment on and there might be a text description for that in the magazine.

Free Speech
Old 06-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #416
IHerman
What's all this we stuff?

We were begging for pixels
We wanted the next shot to be a level shot

I think only the people begging for screenshots are now the ones complaining about them, and the rest of us is just waiting until 3DR is ready to show some real content.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:41 AM   #417
Kristian Joensen

Quote:

Who says they want to do that now or right away. They always said you'd be able to see DNF coming a mile away. They're going real slow with this so far, don't you think? Small steps before running past the finish line?

Now you're being anal. George has said that the first two shots were in-game. The GI shot is the only one I haven't heard him comment on and there might be a text description for that in the magazine.
Actually Joe confirmed the GI shot in one of the first posts of this thread.

"Who says they want to do that now or right away. They always said you'd be able to see DNF coming a mile away. They're going real slow with this so far, don't you think? Small steps before running past the finish line?"

Heck who even says this is part of the "unveiling" or "hype" in the first place ?
Old 06-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #418
mysteryperfecta

Cannot get excited about this screenshot. I enjoyed the Duke and Pig screens, because while they were small, they were clear. I was anticipating an environment shot, but this particular environment is quite bland.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:53 AM   #419
Kalki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
Heck who even says this is part of the "unveiling" or "hype" in the first place ?
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryperfecta View Post
Cannot get excited about this screenshot. I enjoyed the Duke and Pig screens, because while they were small, they were clear. I was anticipating an environment shot, but this particular environment is quite bland.
I didn't expect different to be honest. You cannot really show environments in a thumbnail. Character models are ok and those were the focus of the earlier screens for a reason. That said, I enjoyed what I could make out of the detail and lighting in this pic.

Free Speech
Old 06-19-2007, 11:59 AM   #420
vivftp
Quote:
lol, you're funny!
It may be funny, but it's also true.

People won't be satisfied, it's as simple as that. I mean, it's not like there's anything seriously wrong with this, they released a small screenshot of DNF which was just a tiny blurb in the middle of a preview for another game. This sort of thing is very common.

Admittedly, it would be nice if we had a clue what we were looking at, but that still doesn't warrant a lot of the sillyness occuring here.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:02 PM   #421
naddie
Quote:

Who said this was a start of the media blitz?
Old 06-19-2007, 12:04 PM   #422
LeadBullet

I could care less about magazine scans these days. We may as well be given inkblots. Its cool some things are finally being shown, but newsprint and thumbnail images only really let you see what something is but not really anywhere near the full impact of what the thing will actually look like on your screen.

I wonder how long it is until we get a proper screen shot.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:04 PM   #423
Laxativum
This screenshot reminds me of one particular scene in the Do The Evolution music video of Pearl Jam.

Do the evolution on youtube
Right near the end, at 3'24" there are some giant metallic worms who eat their way through the world leaving nothing but chaos.

It would be awesome if Duke would have to face those large scale Enemys. Imagine, Duke at some Cliff, in the valley afront lies a beautiful view of Las Vegas. Suddently 2 or 3 of these Worms shoot out of the ground, destroying everything that crosses their way. Hell yeah, maybe even ride em would be cool!

I r riding teh worm, weee
Last edited by Laxativum; 06-19-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:13 PM   #424
Kalki

Quote:
Who said this was a start of the media blitz?
No one. But that doesn't mean the start can't be heralded by something smaller, just to create a little mind share and lay the groundwork for what's to come. Small steps, like I said. Not one big StarCraft 2 blowout.

Free Speech
Old 06-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #425
mysteryperfecta

Quote:
You cannot really show environments in a thumbnail.
A thumbnail won't do an environment justice, yes. This thumbnail is no different. But what I can see is boxy, bland architecture (not that there's anything wrong with a certain amount of that). I could have got excited by similarly-small screenshot of a dynamic environment. Not that I'm complaining-- we'll see DNF in all of it's glory eventually, making this little moment of no consequence.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:23 PM   #426
Kev_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoplessi View Post
That can't be realtime, in engine. Maybe in engine, but not realtime. The lightningsystem is too awesome to be run in realtime.
Lighting doesn't really need to be real-time, only in a few situations does it really pay off. But considering today's technology it might just be real-time.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #427
TonyPessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxativum View Post
Suddently 2 or 3 of these Worms shoot out of the ground, destroying everything that crosses their way.

ahm...like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocIcYKWC-KE
Old 06-19-2007, 12:31 PM   #428
Mr.Fibbles

I don't want Duke to be like Starcraft 2; SC2 was:
Here is the new game, we got neat stuff planned and we will be updating the page with more details. . .yada yada yada.
and then we get nothing more after the first preview. There hasn't been any news concerning any other race besides the Protoss and even that is little.

These little screens are better, IMHO, than what Blizzard is doing to SC2. At least 3DR is not just showing something and leaving us hanging on more info. Occasionally we get something here or there. There hasn't even been an official unveiling of DNF so I don't expect anything at all; yet we are seeing little bits of info and tiny screens trickle through the Media Blackout.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #429
corn wizard

Quote:

Hors D'oeuveres would be more like 640X480.

These screens are definitely of the amuse variety.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuse_bouche
Old 06-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #430
bokaj
I still think it is a strange way of marketing. Joe is saying they don't need the E3 because all the fuzz about the thumbnails .. but as I see it people are just loosing interest this way. the "screenshot" of the pigcop is not even mentioned on most sites which is quite understandable
Old 06-19-2007, 12:40 PM   #431
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokaj View Post
I still think it is a strange way of marketing. Joe is saying they don't need the E3 because all the fuzz about the thumbnails .. but as I see it people are just loosing interest this way. the "screenshot" of the pigcop is not even mentioned on most sites which is quite understandable
The thumbnails aren't designed as mega promotion. Come on - do you honestly thing we put those out for people to go "OH MY GOD - HERE COMES THE BIG MEDIA PUSH"? They are what they are. Small thumbnail pictures for specific purposes. The first two were for job adverts, the third was for a sidebar article in a magazine. Don't make it into something it is not.

All is well. When we release real media I'm sure people will bitch about something about that, too. It always happens.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 06-19-2007, 12:43 PM   #432
Laxativum
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyPessimist View Post
err well... exactly.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #433
Montykoro!

Quote:
All is well. When we release real media I'm sure people will bitch about something about that, too. It always happens.
Ok no more media... only release the game "When is done" and a demo in the same day.... Internet do the rest...

Old 06-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #434
Kalki

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryperfecta View Post
A thumbnail won't do an environment justice, yes. This thumbnail is no different. But what I can see is boxy, bland architecture (not that there's anything wrong with a certain amount of that). I could have got excited by similarly-small screenshot of a dynamic environment.
Well, that may be the set location for that creature/thing. Besides, that environment (bland-- perhaps...) could be designed for pure destructibility (like the wooden shack in the Crysis nuke explosion video). Funny, because whenever I've advocated a "worm in the apple" level design for DNF, I had exploration and not quite this in mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn wizard View Post
Hors D'oeuveres would be more like 640X480.

These screens are definitely of the amuse variety.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuse_bouche
Totally subjective, depending on how long you've been waiting and the depth of your hunger.

Free Speech
Old 06-19-2007, 12:47 PM   #435
Lethe

Quote:
People will bitch? That is a kind of attitude that puts off people here. I don't have more moderating experience then you but I'm pretty sure that it is not right to say "you bitch" to the potential fanbase that criticises your game.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:56 PM   #436
DavoX

Something strange happened to me. I always laughed at people that dreamt about DNF (I mean actually dreaming when you're sleeping) but for some reason after watching the last screenshot I went to bed...and had the most kickass dream ever, and guess what? It was DNF. It was so interactive I actually had to grab a kevlar armor, rip the velcro in both sides, turn it around, and put it on...
The whole thing was just awesome...I killed a guy with a knife and i had to decide how much force i wanted to push on the knife etc...
But the best part was...I didn't see duke until later on...I could only see his feet...on cinematic sequences you could only see his legs...and then...before the action started...i could see him in all his glory, he looked like a veteran this time, an angry guy that made one liners but in a more serious way...he had this 3 days shadow beard and a grown up flattop, with a pointier front side...he looked all sweaty and dirty because of all the struggle on battle...MAN that is definitely how i would picture the perfect DNF. I know it is unlikely to happen, since we'll be seeing duke on his tank top with the same colour and stuff (hopefully not) and he seems to have lost the awesome flattop...but i'll still play DNF, it's the game that will mark a beggining and an end at least to me.
I just KNOW it won't be the same for everyone and I feel sorry for the people that don't have a game like this one to look forward to with such anticipation.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:59 PM   #437

Quote:
Can you expect anything less after all these years? I'm just amazed at how we have a dozen pages and it's just a thumbnail.

Actually I should be asking myself WHY I keep expecting some full screen media after clicking the thread. It's like a lottery ticket, you keep scratching hoping to hit big but you know damn well you aren't going home a millionaire.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:02 PM   #438
Kalki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
People will bitch? That is a kind of attitude that puts off people here. I don't have more moderating experience then you but I'm pretty sure that it is not right to say "you bitch" to the potential fanbase that criticises your game.
It's true though. I've been (and still am) a part of the fanbase and even us fans do note how some people bitch even after being given what they ask for. Happened with the 2001 video believe you me, heck its happening in this thread too.

Joe is who he is for a reason. And he's famous for being blunt, even among fellow developers. As for the overall 3D Realms attitude- you have to live with it and learn to love it. There must be something in the Texas water that makes them act the way they sometimes do. But it is that which comes through in their games and makes their stuff so much fun to play imo.

Free Speech
Old 06-19-2007, 01:09 PM   #439
Dukefrukem

Quote:
I'm not being anal. You don't see other developers releasing a 60x60 pixel image of their game? this is the third time we've seen in here. fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice...
Old 06-19-2007, 01:10 PM   #440
Dukefrukem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fibbles View Post
I don't want Duke to be like Starcraft 2; SC2 was:
Here is the new game, we got neat stuff planned and we will be updating the page with more details. . .yada yada yada.
and then we get nothing more after the first preview. There hasn't been any news concerning any other race besides the Protoss and even that is little.

These little screens are better, IMHO, than what Blizzard is doing to SC2. At least 3DR is not just showing something and leaving us hanging on more info. Occasionally we get something here or there. There hasn't even been an official unveiling of DNF so I don't expect anything at all; yet we are seeing little bits of info and tiny screens trickle through the Media Blackout.
There's been tons of info released on SC2 what are you talking about? The fact that they've been in development in secrecy is the best part of SC2.

If one day, 3d Realms puts 15 videos on gametrailers.com, that will be the day i am happy.