Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Non 3DR Game Discussion
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-18-2005, 02:20 PM   #1
5ththrax
E3 cancelled May 18th?
http://ds.ign.com/articles/615/615907p1.html?fromint=1

DAMN IT!. I was 2 minutes away from a getting a live feed of audio and i get the message that the lights went out. Gamespy, i love and hate you at the same time.
1GB DDR400 Corsair VS
ATI Radeon x800XL
Old 05-18-2005, 02:22 PM   #2
Yenz

Re: E3 cancelled May 18th?
Aliens abduction of the Human Head team and Tommy Hawk
Kiss your mind goodbye
Old 05-18-2005, 02:24 PM   #3
Cerberus_e

HUH?
the whole e3 is cancelled because of that? can't be.
they say it's only for 6 hours...

and why in the prey forum?
Old 05-18-2005, 02:26 PM   #4
Kristian Joensen

Ehh, as I understand it the ligths have been back on for quite a while.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:29 PM   #5
5ththrax
Its in the prey forum because prey is at e3....isnt it?? lol.

They said it could take up to 6 hours, its been 3 hours already. Who knows. Oh and gamespy cancelled its livewire access for today.
1GB DDR400 Corsair VS
ATI Radeon x800XL
Old 05-18-2005, 04:27 PM   #6
Lengis

Bet all the gaming geeks are playing Magic the Gathering by candle light right now.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:25 PM   #7
QuiGonJ

Huh? I just came from E3. The lights were out in front of the South Hall, but that was about it. Might as well put my report on my first day of E3 here.

Got there first thing, saw the new Zelda game demo, and the most amazing thing I saw was a pond on the floor of the display area. It was a projection, and had a bunch of planks. As you cross the planks, they "sunk" into the water. This was not the game mind you, just the floor of the place. They also had a giant animatronic skeleton that attacks people and a person dressed in a Link outfit for taking pictures with. As for the Zelda game, seemed to me to be just more of the same. Run around, attack critters, break pots to get hearts. Pretty graphics though.

Would have tried to look at the Revolution, but there was no public showing of it, only VIP showings in the Nintendo conference rooms.

From there I went to the glass lined Turbine booth where I saw and played a level of D&D Online. There's a contest in which if you can defeat the dungeon, and an insanely powerful beast, you would be guaranteed a slot in the DDO beta. The interface reminded me of AC2 a bit, which is cool, since I have always thought that was a simple interface to use. My favorite part was the d20 image onscreen showing your attack rolls and damage. I did not kill the beast, but I was given a consolation bag of dice grey smoke D&D dice. The bag has the DDO and Turbine logos on it.

Walked past the Bethesda booth and immediately thought of Caella. I did to get info or a handout for the game they had plastered on the side of the booth, but they were not handing out anything. All I could find out about Fallout 3 is it's planned for the PC and at least one console.

From there I headed over and waited a half-hour at the Ubisoft booth to see the behind closed doors video/demo of King Kong. Uhm, wow. First, Peter Jackson came on to talk about how he played a wonderful game called Beyond Good & Evil, and felt that Michel Ancel had a unique talent for interactive storytelling, and absolutely had to have him to make the King Kong game. Then there was video of Michel Ancel, (who looked like Jason Priestly of all people) telling us in English of what he had in mind for the game, which would let us play as Jack Driscoll and in other places we would play as the Master of Skull Island himself! They then did some live playing of the X-box version. There was no on-screen HUD/UI of any sort, just the screen going red or hazy if you were badly hurt. Amazing looking stuff, and a must buy IMO. It'll be interesting to see if that is the way it's supposed to be played.

After that I decided to wander the hall for a bit, seeing the layout. Plenty of booth babes, saw Richard Dean Anderson in his SG1 outfit talking about a new video game, and the NCsoft booth had an amazing display of a tribal drum group and fire dancers, a Chinese dragon a girl with a fire-ringed hula hoop that was just amazing, and a guy with four lit blocks of flame dancing about.

Other titles I saw that look like fun were a JAWS game in which you are the shark, Serious Sam II, Prey (demo video only, which was drowned out volume wise by the din of the place), and I saw an X-Box 360 at the ATI booth running a demo. Didn't hit the Microsoft Pavilion nor did I seriously look for the PS3, but I will tomorrow.

I left at about 2:30 cause I have a certain movie to see tonight at midnight and wanted to get some rest.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:48 PM   #8
Gryph

Thanks for the report.

Quote:
QuiGonJ said:
All I could find out about Fallout 3 is it's planned for the PC and at least one console.
You know...I'm really beginning to wonder if there is any reason at all to keep upgrading my PC. I just hope they don't ***** it up.

Quote:
Prey (demo video only, which was drowned out volume wise by the din of the place)
How was it?!
Old 05-18-2005, 05:57 PM   #9
QuiGonJ

I know the feeling Gryph. Hopefully someday we'll be rewarded by seeing that Duke fellah come out of retirement. heh

Looked nice, what little I saw of it. I'll make an effort to look in detail tomorrow.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:17 PM   #10
QuiGonJ

Okay, second day... putting this here to make it all in the same thread.

Got there at 9AM and the doors were already open. Brought my new personal digital camera and gave it a thorough workout. 150+ pics in one day, mostly in the West Hall. And yeh, it included lotsa booth babes. There was an amazing amount of booth babes this year. Also took pics of the X-Box 360 and the MS and Nintendo areas. I'll try to get in to the PS3 area tomorrow and get some pics there.

Anyway, back to the blow-by-blow. Went by and saw an SWG Dev I know for a few minutes. We talked about Episode III, which we both enjoyed, and then he had to go back to work on a demo.

After that, I went by the Sega booth and stood in line for their demo, which was entirely live game renderings on "next generation hardware". Scored my first t-shirt of the day, a "GAMER" shirt in the the Sega lettering. The demo had a car game that was Carmageddon meets the PoP series called Full Auto. You could rewind time and make other driving choices and you can shoot anything with your cars mounted guns. Then there was a mech game that looked like a movie it was so beautiful, and a "find the serial killer, oh, and it seems he is you" game. And a movie quality Sonic game, of course. The kicker was, "Oh, by the way.. if you go out to our booth, please try all these games. I went... the booth had live X-Box 360s playing all these titles.

From there, I went to the Namco booth cause they had some guys doing swordplay, and then the usual Namco booth babes came out and danced and handed out stuff. I took pics of both, only finding out tonight a $100 digital camera is not the greatest camera in the world. Took 180 pics, 135 were acceptable to me, and the rest... let's just say the camera doesn't like movement much and I am probably gonna just accept the 15% restocking fee so I can get a better camera.

Anyway, for a while I just wandered about taking pics, signed up for a few contests. Watched the girls do a strange show for the "Singles 2" dating simulator which involved tying a guy from the audience and taking pics, and then giving another guy a temp tattoo. The girls were cute, so I stayed, and I snaked a T-shirt.

Then I made my way to the ATI booth to sign up for their end-of-day contest. It was there I found the Prey demo was up and running.

What did I say to the devs of Prey when it was over?
This is what I said to them: Half-Life 2 looks like a steaming pile compared to Prey. Looks great!

The demo begins in a bar. Two very naturally-animated looking folks are standing there, a lady tending, and a man drinking. Then everything begins to shake and a spaceship knocks a hole in the ceiling. The spaceship sucks up things into it, and it looks like it either digitizes or transports them as they go. The guy gets sucked up, and then you materialize on a spaceship. At the same time, a jetliner transports in, and crashes.

I don't pretend to understand the controls, but I watched Talon wander through the ship killing various things. Every so often he would walk on glowing white tiles that are something like gravity plates, and you walk up walls across ceilings, it feels like an Escher painting at some point, and I might add, a cool Escher painting at that. There's realistic physics, natch, and gravity rotating panels to shoot at various places that make doors slam down and you can smash things under falling (though non power-up and non-breaking) crates.

And of course, you can use the portal gun. It is seamless, moving through the portals had no load times, though I have no idea what hardware was powering the video. You can shoot through the portals, and the demo showcased the wide variety of levels available. There's open Arizona desert, there's spaceships, there's DooM 3 looking bases, and in one place you climb in a spaceship and it feels like the movie Independence Day.

The demo closed with Talon talking to his mentor, an older Indian who I assume was the medicine man of his tribe, offing the advice "Do not become Prey".

I came away thoroughly and completely impressed. This was one of the high points of E3 so far for me.

Afterwards, I pointed out that I would be happy to write this up on the 3DR boards for one of the cool Prey t-shirts HH had and were not giving out except to VIPs. They gave me the shirt, me did the writeup in the Prey forum before I came over here.

Took some more pics, including the Rockstar compound from the outside of the fence. It is a bunch of tour buses dressed in the graphics of the games they are working on, including GTA Liberty City Adventures and Bully.

After that, I got some lunch (yes, the $6.50 Freschetta pizza), and the line was so incredibly long I was able to just pay for an empty box and toss it. After that I looked through Kentia Hall which had the return of the Video Game Museum with a couple dozen arcade units including Asteroids Deluxe, Space Ace, Dragon's Lair, Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong 3, and the most popular was a sit-down Atari Star Wars unit. After that I discovered the Into the Pixel had indeed opened and I took pics. Again the camera failed me on my return home, but I tried.

After that I made my way to the South Hall and got some general pics of the hall, Nintendo and Sony displays. Headed back to the South Hall cause it was getting close to time for the ATI drawing, and I got in line to see the demo for "Alan Wake". They were handing out T-shirts, of course. While in line, the drawing started. Didn't win anything, but I did get an Alan Wake t-shirt.

Alan Wake is from Remedy, and follows kind of in the mold of the Max Payne games. Think Stephen King meets Twin Peaks. Alan Wake is a novelist, and his fiancee disappeared, and she was the muse for his novels. After she left, Alan Wake could no longer write, and could barely sleep. So he sought help from a sleep/dream treatment center in a small Washington town. During the game supposedly the line will blur between the "real" world and the "dream" world, and everyone's dirty little secrets will come to the fore.

The devs mainly focused the demo showing off the amazing game engine, which renders an entire town from a helecopter shot down to street level with the best shadowing ever made so far. They really can evoke time of day and even individual tree line and even mountain shadows. They then showed a scene from the game where Wake is going to a lighthouse at dusk, and is then stopped by men in dark hoods. It was nice.

After that it was down to Kentia to hope in vain about winning an ipod shuffle, and then it was 5 and time to head home. When I got home, the Net was out till 9PM, which is why this report was so late.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:25 AM   #11
Sayantan

Quote:
QuiGonJ said:
Didn't win anything, but I did get an Alan Wake t-shirt.
Give it to me you SOB.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:20 PM   #12
QuiGonJ

Guess I shouldn't tell you I ended up with two of 'em huh?

Okay, final day report. Got there at 10 and saw a house in the front of West Hall. The house was a promo for "War of the Worlds". We went inside, saw some props from the film, and then we were taken into the "basement" for safety. We were treated to a clip of Spielberg and To Cruise talking about the movie and we saw clips. Then we went out and got some t-shirts and a photo op in front of a Martian infected tree. Strange thing was, this was not a game related booth, just a very expensive though nice promo op for the film.

From there I went and checked out the PS3 demo. It was about an hour wait, then we were herded into a room and given a "pre demo", which was a trailer for HDTV and an action flick called Stealth followed by an interminable about of filler promo graphics stuff. A gal next to me said she thinks there had to be "Sony is God" and "Microsoft Sucks" subliminal messages hidden in there for that to have gone on so long. Then we went in and saw demos of many upcoming PS3 title in development, and despite some frameskip issues here and there, it was realtime movie quality imagery down to stubble and facial pores on the people. I was very impressed, and I will concur that the demos make the new X-Box look less impressive. But, demos are one thing, and real gameplay may be something else.

From there, saw the SOE booth, was allowed in where someone showed me some PSP projects he was demoing and I got to talk to Cinco Barnes, the lead mission designer of SWG. I told him I was giving up on the game, but after all, it's been three years from beta. I did tell him how much I enjoyed JtL and that made him happy.

Then I played a fun The Incredibles game on console, took pics, ended up with several more t-shirts, and watched some dance shows. Then I headed over for the open house at the LucasArts booth and saw Empire at War (which looks sweet though I'm not into strategy games much) and I asked Rhonda where the heck KOTOR3 was. I was surprised when she said she hadn't heard of anyone even working on one.

After that I looked around Kentia for a bit, and by then it was 3 and I decided to head home.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:36 AM   #13
Steve

Quote:
Lengis said:
Bet all the gaming geeks are playing Magic the Gathering by candle light right now.