Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Non 3DR Game Discussion
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Between MGS or SC, which stealth action franchise seems to be on top?
Splinter Cell Franchise 23 48.94%
Metal Gear/Metal Gear Solid Franchise 24 51.06%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2006, 12:28 AM   #41
Gatinater

Re: Splinter Cell or Metal Gear Solid, better stealth action game...
Yes, Syphon Filter was good. In fact I think even though it was under publicized it made enough sales to become a greatest hit.

I ended up with it because some guy from my vocational school worked at target and stole a case load of them and was selling them for $30.At that time it retailed for $50 and it looked like an ok game.

It ended up being one my favorites. The graphics at the time were really shitty for even back then, but it was fun for some reason. I think it was the total action movie feel of it. Diving and rolling while spraying bullets everywhere with action music. It was just cool.

I think the lock on aiming was one of the mechanics that made the game different, made it fun. Run in on direction while blasting some guy behind you. It was alot like Max Payne. Instead of having bullet time it has lock on. Which aren't similar. Just the only two things that make them different.

I ended getting part 2. It was also a good game at the time, but I never played 3. I also have Omega Strain, but I haven't played any further than the first or second level.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:28 AM   #42
Boo Boo Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatinater
That's just dumbest thing I've ever heard anybody say.

WTF?! why is stealth it's own genre? Whatever happened to being a either an action game, stradegy game, adventure game or a combination and not focusing on one gameplay mechanic?

I remember when Resident Evil and Silent Hill were considered action+adventure games, not survial horror. Splinter Cell and MGS are action adventure games. But now they are STEALTH?! BUT WAIT!! MGS isn't truely generic because the designers put a margin of error in the gameplay. Shame on Konami for being anti generic when approaching design.

In MGS they know an intruder is present so it doesn't matter if they spot you. It just makes the game harder. They know several intruders are there. If you play the game you will realize why your presence is welcome.

The story plays on the assumption that your a super good commando that know can detect. So the enemy uses you to their advanatge. How you actually play the game is a different story. It all runs on the assumption that the enemy never locates except during certain scripted events and cut scenes.
What is so stupid about what I said?

In "Splinter Cell" you pretty much are required to play the game in a stealthy manner. You get caught, mission failed. Why? Because you weren't stealthy.

In MGS it doesn't do that. You don't really have to play the game in a stealthy form. You can just treat it like an action game.

I still consider both to be action games, but the title of the thread was asking which was the better stealth action game.

So how about discussing it in a mature manner. I explained why I thought Splinter Cell was the better stealth action game. Just like the title of the thread says. I called it that because that is how the title of the thread is classifying the games.

One game requires you to be stealthy, the other doesn't. Therefore, I think the one that requires you to be stealthy would be the better stealth action game.

So instead of going and saying that what I said was stupid, you think about it more. It makes sense. The title of the thread already spicifies stealth action as a genre, so I just went off that.

You just made yourself sound like an effing ******* responding the way you did...
Last edited by Boo Boo Juice; 07-21-2006 at 02:32 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:07 AM   #43
Gatinater

In Snake's situation he's in enemy territory which happens to be the middle of nowhere and won't be caught doing anything illegal. Not there. He has no support and nowhere to fallback to. So what can he do other than fight or hide? He can't go anywhere.

Fisher has the option of aborting and exfiliating He's involved in highly illegal operations. He has to get out of there before anyone can identify him and he cannot afford to be caught. Plus he's only sanctioned to engage specific targets. If he gets caught how would his supervisors explain why an American agent is violating international law and who gave him authority to be there? Regardless of self defense he's an intruder and his presence there is illegal. It's foreign espionage which violates international law. He must not be caught there.

Snake's Mission was to infilitrate a U.S Military base that was hijacked and gather intelligence. If he get's caught so what.

Really though, when you insert covertly you do it a few miles outside at night where they can't see you and make your way in. If they notice you, you're screwed. Everyone in the area will be after you and unless you can run faster than them and their vehicles and their bullets for a couple of miles to an EZ they will either kill you or take you prisoner. Probably just shoot you. Engaging is a futile effort. You couldn't possibly win.

Really in Metal Gear if they saw him he would be dead. He wouldn't be able to fight all of them. It wouldn't be 2 or 4 after him. More like 10 or 20 or more, the facility would be on alert and they would comb the area and tear it apart until they found him. They would let loose the Sentry dogs to track him down.

But that is where the game part of the game comes into effect. And creates that Television action hero with a margin of error because all of the enemys happen to be stupid. And since you get into several unavoidable shootouts.. five minutes into the game being spotted and losing wouldn't makes sense.
Last edited by Gatinater; 07-21-2006 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:32 AM   #44
Denz

It's just a game, keep it fun.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:47 AM   #45

I wasn't aware anyone took MGS seriously when it was clear that it mocked itself as a game many times over. That was the beauty of it, with the exaggerated "!" enemy alerts and the constant "Hey I'm a game!" exclamations Really you shouldn't look too far into its realism.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:50 AM   #46
Imfamous
Both games blew me away the first time I played them. I beat both, and loved em both, but have to say MGS has stood the test of time much better than SC. I can replay MGS over and over again, and I still get sucked into it... the awesome dialogue, characters, story, music, etc. You just didn't get that with SC.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:53 AM   #47
Denz

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58
I wasn't aware anyone took MGS seriously when it was clear that it mocked itself as a game many times over. That was the beauty of it, with the exaggerated "!" enemy alerts and the constant "Hey I'm a game!" exclamations Really you shouldn't look too far into its realism.

And they could put a serious story in all that. \o/
Old 07-21-2006, 11:36 AM   #48
hiob

and they referenced Snake Plissken from the "Escape from NY" and "Escape from La" movies \o/
Old 07-21-2006, 03:39 PM   #49
Daveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo Juice
What is so stupid about what I said?

In "Splinter Cell" you pretty much are required to play the game in a stealthy manner. You get caught, mission failed. Why? Because you weren't stealthy.

In MGS it doesn't do that. You don't really have to play the game in a stealthy form. You can just treat it like an action game.
Not in the original or in Sons of Liberty, really. If you play it on the hard difficulty, Snake Eater is the same way. I mean, it's meant to be more action-oriented than the others, but if you don't know what you're doing and you're against harder enemies, they're going to make you HURT for messing up.

Also I think Snake Eater's easier action allowed for MUCH better replayability. I finished it three times and nearly a fourth before my PS2 crapped out on me.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:05 PM   #50
Gatinater

I've never had a console crap out me. You guys must be hardcore.
Last edited by Gatinater; 07-21-2006 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:09 PM   #51

Quote:
I've never had a console crap out me. You guys must be hardcore.
Not even the NES? That thing crapped out on everyone.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:10 PM   #52
Mongorian

I still have my NES. God that thing is old. Still works.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:20 PM   #53
Phayzon

^
Mine does too (well, its picky about games now). The only console that crapped out on my was my beloved SNES. Still have it though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orochi Avlis
I say Splinter Cell.

5chars
Old 07-21-2006, 06:53 PM   #54
Gatinater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongorian
I still have my NES. God that thing is old. Still works.
Yup, I played that bad boy like a bastard. The hunk of shit is still residing somewhere around here and it still works.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:01 PM   #55
Phayzon

Quote:
Yup, I played that bad boy like a bastard. The hunk of shit is still residing somewhere around here and it still works.
Your attempt to sound hardcore has failed. Miserably.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:23 PM   #56
Gatinater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phayzon
Your attempt to sound hardcore has failed. Miserably.
Why, because I didn't break mine by spilling pop out and throwing it?
Old 07-21-2006, 11:27 PM   #57
Daveman

Well, my PS2 breaking has less to do with me playing it too much and more to do with Sony being cockshits with regards to hardware quality and with the fact that GTA San Andreas had so much shit on it that it was too heavy for the PS2 and it scratched the lens.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:21 AM   #58
hiob

usually what happens to ps2īs is that when itīs running too long, the heat deforms the plastic of the DVD drive, thatīs why it begins with the PS2 only reading a few Games and doesnīt recognize others, after some time it will take hours to get a game working. If thatīs what happened to your PS2 then you can repair it yourself (mine worked perfectly after repairing it myself)
This website helped me alot: http://arstechnica.com/articles/paed...ware/ps2.ars/1
this guide is for older PS2s, the newer versions (that can read burned DVD movies) are a bit more complicated to repair yourself (thanks Sony), they have 2 white gears that adjust the level of the lens, it will take you a bit more time to configure but eventually it will work just fine.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:56 PM   #59
Daveman

I tried doing that a while ago but the only result was my PS2 completely breaking. Now it doesn't receive any power at all.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:50 AM   #60
hiob

that sucks, how did you manage that, i did it exactly as written in the guide and mine worked absolutely fine after that
Old 07-24-2006, 04:10 AM   #61
Tang Lung

This reminds me of my anger that MGS3:Subsistence isn't out in Europe yet. I had to trade in Snake Eater a while back to pay for stuff, and I've had the urge to replay it ever since.

MOON PRINCESS POWER!
Old 07-24-2006, 09:57 AM   #62
8IronBob

Yeah, and to think that MGS 4's right around the corner this fall, so Konami's got very little time, and has their work cut out on delivering to a global basis in time. Hideo Kojima probably never gave the European gamers a chance with MGS 3 at all. I guess that Splinter Cell seems to take the cake on that one, at least Ubisoft doesn't fool around getting their game out on a full global basis...
Old 07-24-2006, 12:04 PM   #63
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Am I the only one who finds the concepts of "stealth" and "action" in the same sentence incompatible?

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 07-24-2006, 12:20 PM   #64
Denz

I guess it fits MGS, because you have to fight big bosses, it's most of the action part.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:13 AM   #65
hiob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler
Am I the only one who finds the concepts of "stealth" and "action" in the same sentence incompatible?
you can say the same about movies that mix Drama and Comedy, like "American Beauty" - the mix is what makes it even more interesting (though not for all people i guess)

btw: i like the fact that MGS and Splinter Cell each got 23votes (in another forum this thread would burn)
Last edited by hiob; 07-25-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:43 AM   #66
Denz

i forgot to vote.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:33 PM   #67
qwerty

there is no option for me

I never played any splinter cell or metal gear solid
Old 07-25-2006, 01:00 PM   #68
Gatinater

Stealth shouldn't be a genre. Next we would have to make walking a genre. Konami Offically considers the Metal Gear games as action-adventure games anyway. UbiSoft also catagorizes Splinter cell as action-adventure.

But if my favorite games with a stealth mechanic in 3rd person is MGS1. I also like Deus Ex, NOLF for their stealth capabilitys. Rainbow Six goes a lot smoother when Stealth is used over deliberate assault.

Full out action just means less work on the AI for the designers. Giving the player the choice of staying out of the enemy's sight and creeping by or up on them would mean the AI would have to be smarter. They require a line of sight and awareness over the much simpler method of being activated by proximity.