Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Non 3DR Game Discussion
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-28-2007, 09:19 AM   #1
8IronBob

XNA or WiiWare, which would you much rather design games on?
As you well know, I pointed out that Nintendo announced that they were coming out with an idea similar to Microsoft's idea of opening up the Wii to those wanting to design their own games or other applications, as well as teaching you on how to program around the Wiimote, and all that jazz. However, XNA has been around for almost a year on the X360, am I not correct? Now, that leads to mind the question, which one of these two would you much rather develop a game on, WiiWare or XNA?

These two seem to have quite some great ideas when it comes to bringing your own talents into the game console world. I also wonder if Sony had anything in mind for PS3 like this at all... Seems like this is a great idea, because sometimes the best games you can play, are the ones you build yourself, right?
Old 06-28-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
peoplessi

Re: XNA or WiiWare, which would you much rather design games on?
Both, depending on the outline of the project. I would surely wan't to take advantage of Wiimote - but if the gameconcept doesn't really fit to wiimote I wouldn't force it.

I've been dreaming of some decent Liero/CortexCommand/Moles/Wings/TriplaneTurmoil -like game. Key's being simple, straight forward non-stop action with some flavours. Cooperative play, team play, objectives, everything. I don't remember if XNA allows you to use Live services.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
8IronBob

Heh, yeah. I only wish that Sony would bring back the Net Yaroze, tho, that may be one of the only saving graces that they would have to save the PS3. I'm quite sure that having one of those development consoles that were meant for the PS3 would probably run about $3K, which is the only downside. I'm hoping that even some original Net Yaroze games can be played on the PS2 or PS3. Should've gotten one of those the first time around. Sorry I didn't...

Anyway, XNA and WiiWare are great options for the other two consoles, and there's always the good ol' faithful PC, but no matter where you build your games on, it's always nice that consoles can be made for more than just playing those $50 - $80 games on.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:46 PM   #4
Simon Charles

Both Microsoft and Nintendo are good companies when it comes to developers. They have good tools. Programming is tough no matter what but out of the three, they're the best two (Sony's the hardest to work with).

For small guys who just want to goof off in map editors and learn a thing or two, it won't matter. But as you get more serious in the mod community, I'm sure there'll be just as many people interested by both.

My personnal preference goes to Nintendo, because I feel the Wii has a bit more potential to make people feel eager to see what they can do with this new stuff, as well as looking forward to what their peers will come up with. If some game developers call themselves creative, I think they'll be more drawn to the Wii.

-Hercule Poirot
Old 06-28-2007, 08:16 PM   #5
Reaper

WiiWare is just another downloadable game service for Nintendo: pretty much the same as Virtual Console except for new games. It's not a development platform, like XNA.

EDIT: Seems I was wrong. Evil Avatar just didn't give me enough information on it.
Last edited by Reaper; 06-28-2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:32 PM   #6
8IronBob

Yes, now, that leads to mind the question, how easy is it to program a game around a Wiimote? Is it like programming a mouse at all, or are there different steps involved outside of that? I mean, the Wiimote seems to have some mechanics similar to a mouse, AFAIK, as well as traditional joystick commands, but even so...
Old 06-29-2007, 02:00 AM   #7
IHerman
Nintento probably made some component to make it easy. The Wiimote has 3 different kinds of controls: Buttons, motion sensors and IR/Aiming. Then there's the Nunchuck which adds another motion sensor and a few buttons.

Personally I think the nunchuck should only be used when absolutely necessary. The Wiimote by itself is just a lot easier to handle and keeps controls simple, that's pretty much a must have when you don't have time to get 8 people used to the controls in a short time.

I think it would be pretty cool to think of and create stuff for that. So far I've played about 10 games, and there are many, many used for the different technologies.

I'm pretty excited about the WiiWare thing, a lot of people with great ideas are now able to make something of it, and I'd love to see what they come up with.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:48 AM   #8
Kev_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Charles View Post
For small guys who just want to goof off in map editors and learn a thing or two, it won't matter. But as you get more serious in the mod community, I'm sure there'll be just as many people interested by both.
Does both point to Nintendo and Microsoft?
If so, you've got it all wrong.

Map editors allow you to do anything, within the restrictions of the game. In high profile games like Half-Life 2 or Doom 3 that's absolutely huge. Why spend countless hours programming some 'pong 2.0' game if you can actually go out and make what you want?
Old 06-30-2007, 05:16 AM   #9
NetNessie

Personally I'd prefer developing for the Wii. Since I'm not a developer I can't really say. Then again, if either company can produce a simple toolkit that allows easy and rapid development, both are just as good as the other.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:27 AM   #10
Krust

Too bad they released this info after I sold my wii. Would've loved to experiment with this type of thing. I've been toying with xna for a few days now, since I bought a book about it, and I'm liking it so far. It's real easy to get some basic games done, but I'm still at 2D.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:58 AM   #11
peoplessi

XNA is good and bad, it teaches some platform specific things, which are harder to "unlearn" later on. But then again if you aren't deadserious it doesn't really matter that much It is really easy to setup and get running on tilebased mode. There are loads of small quick to tackle on tutorials, and what you see is what you get, XNA makes sure it works on X360.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:03 AM   #12
Mblackwell

If Wii had a sdl and python solution I'd say I'd port one of my projects over.
I want it to be free, I want it to be true

Eduke32.com : The Rejected Applications : The Meadhall of the Comitatus
Old 06-30-2007, 08:05 AM   #13
8IronBob

Heh, right, after all, ever since this technology was somewhat introduced for Duck Hunt on the original NES with the Zapper Gun, I thought about developing some shooting gallery-type games for the Wii myself. It will test your reflexes by pointing your crosshair icon on a fast moving target, somewhat like between a Duck Hunt and a Whack A Mole idea. I can see those types of games being very common on the Wii from amateur developers.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:13 AM   #14
Twin

i'm looking forward to seeing what these indie developers can create on the Wii

"Cha'mone MuthaF**KAH! heeee heeee"

"He clobbers the mob as....BLACK BELT JONES!"
Old 06-30-2007, 05:47 PM   #15
8IronBob

I had the craziest idea for a "Swat the Fly" type game on the Wii. After all, the Wiimote can be used like a fly swatter, can it not? I see a game or two made like this. Whether or not Nintendo would think that would be good talent, that's another thing...
Old 07-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #16
Fraeon Waser Duhni

The problem with XNA is that to get your games working on the X360, you have to pay Microsoft (What was it? $100/year?) for a "Creator's Club" subscription. I'd rather not pay for a subscription to get my homebrew apps running. A one-time fee is the line where I draw it.

I'm not sure whether this WiiWare stuff has anything to do with homebrew, though. I'm hopeful.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:26 AM   #17
Simon Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_Boy View Post
Does both point to Nintendo and Microsoft?
If so, you've got it all wrong.
Well, since I wrote the word "both", it's safe to assume I meant both, eh? And no, I'm not wrong because...

Quote:
Map editors allow you to do anything, within the restrictions of the game. In high profile games like Half-Life 2 or Doom 3 that's absolutely huge. Why spend countless hours programming some 'pong 2.0' game if you can actually go out and make what you want?
...I have absolutely no idea what the hell you're talking about here. This is completely unrelated to what I wrote.

Allright, gonna go get coffee. Slow morning today (2 weeks of holidays starts today too... went to bed late yesturday). Maybe I'll understand later.

-Hercule Poirot