Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Non 3DR Game Discussion
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
8IronBob

EA Buys PopCap Games For $750 Million
Quote:
Game publisher Electronic Arts just made a huge deal, purchasing "casual" game company PopCap Games for the very un-casual sum of $750 million dollars. That's $650 million in cash, and $100 million in stock and other payments. I'm no mathematician, but a person could buy over 43 hamburgers for that kind of money!

"EA and PopCap are a compelling combination," said EA CEO John Riccitiello in a statement. "PopCap's great studio talent and powerful IP add to EA's momentum and accelerate our drive towards a $1 billion digital business. EA's global studio and publishing network will help PopCap rapidly expand their business to more digital devices, more countries, and more channels."

Read more: http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/pos...#ixzz1SNXHy6dd

Wonder what this means for the future of the Bejeweled franchise.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
Thriller

Re: EA Buys PopCap Games For $750 Million
Holy shit, had no idea PopCap was worth that kind of money.

For Bejeweled I suppose it means more sequels but smaller steps between each (2011, 2012, summer edition, winter edition, 6 year jubilee edition, HD, classic, HD classic).

"I thought everyone i Sweden looked like Duke Nukem...." - GreedyFly 2001
Last edited by Thriller; 07-17-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
8IronBob

Would have never known Pop Cap's worth myself until I read that article. Guess that means that they must have sold a lot of units of their games over the course of the last few years.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
Ras

Some people have a mad-on for Popcap (when Bejeweled 3 ports were announced at one gaming site, the talkbacks were full of hostility), but I really like their games. You can like casual and "hardcore," too! Bejeweled had gotten kind of stagnant, but 3 is a really good iteration. The Poker mode keeps me entertained for hours.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
KO Gilligan

I wonder what happened to the handful of game makers like Levelord, who were absorbed into Mumbo Jumbo from Ritual when they closed. I think the casual games market is played out, there's just not much potentail for growth and a zillion indies. They will probably shift Pop Cap into making phone apps.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
Sang

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
I wonder what happened to the handful of game makers like Levelord, who were absorbed into Mumbo Jumbo from Ritual when they closed. I think the casual games market is played out, there's just not much potentail for growth and a zillion indies. They will probably shift Pop Cap into making phone apps.
Did you know Zynga, the guys making those shitty Facebook flash games, is one of the richest game companies in the world (at least AFAIK)? If you've got an original idea that appeals to people, anything can happen.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
Crosma

Exclamation Re: EA Buys PopCap Games For $750 Million
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sang View Post
Did you know Zynga, the guys making those shitty Facebook flash games, is one of the richest game companies in the world (at least AFAIK)? If you've got an original idea that appeals to people, anything can happen.
Yeah, but those games are al based around buying virtual items. I know people who've spent hundreds of dollars just so they can grow certain vegetables on their made-up farm, or whatever. It's like a phone-in quiz on the telly - there's no actual game, it's all about fleecing people for as much scratch as you can.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
Sang

Very correct, but PopCap, Zynga, MumboJumbo and some others I'm sure are a perfect example that with the right idea - and perhaps more importantly with the proper exposure - a casual game can make shitload of money. I really don't believe they will "shift PopCap into making phone apps".. that would be really stupid. I mean they'll make phone apps on the side too (not doing that at all would also be really stupid) but they won't discard the PC market...
Old 07-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
Pansa
Quote:
Very correct, but PopCap, Zynga, MumboJumbo and some others I'm sure are a perfect example that with the right idea - and perhaps more importantly with the proper exposure - a casual game can make shitload of money. I really don't believe they will "shift PopCap into making phone apps".. that would be really stupid. I mean they'll make phone apps on the side too (not doing that at all would also be really stupid) but they won't discard the PC market...
aH COMMON, don't bunch popcap in with "those" bunch..

popcap doesn't sell incremental items. they sell "casual" games.
And they do so for a bit longer than the "flash indiy" revolution happend, and with games that while "fundamental" in themselves, are quite specific in their execution.

I alwas compare popcap games to crack, because their sound and grafics department seem to have people that just KNOW how to *ZUMA* create effects that just feal *Zuma* right *ploing PLOing PLOING" ...

sure , the games aren't anything like hl, or dnf or battlefield...

but they alwas are in a weird way adictive, even the ones that subconsciesly are just minigames....

There was a time where they just added actually new kgames, posted them on the website and allowed you to pay for them....

ANd i personally don't like the move to release bejeweled 25 and cash in on that, and sadly I don't think this mariage with EA will help that cause much, but please don't confuse popcap with zynga.....
Old 07-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
Sang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansa View Post
aH COMMON, don't bunch popcap in with "those" bunch..
They all develop casual games for casual gamers. Yes I will shove them in with "that" (not those) bunch.

Quote:
I alwas compare popcap games to crack, because their sound and grafics department seem to have people that just KNOW how to *ZUMA* create effects that just feal *Zuma* right *ploing PLOing PLOING" ..

Quote:
sure , the games aren't anything like hl, or dnf or battlefield...

Quote:
but they alwas are in a weird way adictive, even the ones that subconsciesly are just minigames....
Oh shit, kinda like Zynga's games for many people.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #11
Yenji

I can see PopCap worth that much after games like Bejeweled, Plants VS Zombies and Peggle. Not too thrilled about the idea of EA buying them though.

I also think bigger game makers could learn a lesson from the casual game market. Some of us can only allocate short amounts of time for gaming these days. I've found it quite difficult to play Dragon Age Origins in short bursts and still understand whats going on or what I need to do (yes my game catalog is extremely backlogged). However I can always have a quick game of Alchemy, Bejeweled and the likes
Old 07-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
Sang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenji View Post
I also think bigger game makers could learn a lesson from the casual game market. Some of us can only allocate short amounts of time for gaming these days. I've found it quite difficult to play Dragon Age Origins in short bursts and still understand whats going on or what I need to do (yes my game catalog is extremely backlogged). However I can always have a quick game of Alchemy, Bejeweled and the likes
Some games are intended for an audience that has the time to play and understand some titles. If you're not a part of that then I guess for some games, you're just not part of the audience they wanted to reach Though it seems nowadays game makers are mostly like "**** the audience, let's just do whatever's popular to sell lotsa copies"
Old 07-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #13
Pansa
Quote:
Oh shit, kinda like Zynga's games for many people.
It is still like comparing "harvest moon" with "tetris".

And as for all the puzzled smilies, I find most popcap games weirdly circumventing certain barriers of my bullshit detector.
And a huge part of that is their sound design.

It reminds me of "dr robotnic's mean bean machine" vs "kirbys... (forgott the name)
essentially they are the exact same game. Save for the characters (who cares in a tetris game) and the sounds. And still, the sound desing on robotnick's is that much "better" for me that i would gladly play one, and never play the other.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #14
Yenji

Quote:
Some games are intended for an audience that has the time to play and understand some titles. If you're not a part of that then I guess for some games, you're just not part of the audience they wanted to reach Though it seems nowadays game makers are mostly like "**** the audience, let's just do whatever's popular to sell lotsa copies"
Although I admit it can be a target audience issue I still think they could learn a lesson or two. Casual games are popular for a reason.

I know some areas in Dragon Age that took a few hours to complete. Like quests that deeply layered into each other like: want to save the boy? Go to the tower! Oh wait, the tower now has its own subplot. Finally made it to the tower boss? You silly thing - here's a new sub world for you to explore! Oh and you only get to do it with one character and cannot replenish your supplies. Enjoy!

Even if I sat down and dedicated all my time to it that part would have frustrated me to no end.

Quote:
It reminds me of "dr robotnic's mean bean machine" vs "kirbys... (forgott the name)
Ah I love Kirby's Avalanche!