Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-01-2006, 02:02 PM   #1
8IronBob

Well, seems like AMD does it again!
http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...ATHLON.XML&rpc

Could this be the hope for Vista gaming as we know it, or do you think this is a hoax?
Old 12-01-2006, 04:32 PM   #2
Phayzon

Re: Well, seems like AMD does it again!
FX-70

Me want
Old 12-01-2006, 05:44 PM   #3
Hudson

I was waiting for AMD to come back and kick Intel off their little pedestal.

Not to mention you can use the same boards to upgrade to eight cores

Soon, soon you will be mine...
[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Old 12-01-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
Jiminator

eh, I don't really see anything to be impressed about. it looks like they have taken x2s, added more pins for the board logic and are now selling them in pairs at jacked up prices for which you will have to get an expensive MB also.
Memory is two slots per cpu, so you have 4 gb total (so you need 4 sticks to start).

Photos and review here.
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36064

better review here:
http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2879
they essentially bash the hell out of the cpu. core2 system dominates over virtually all tasks. also dual core is faster than quad core on non-multithreaded apps.

essentially this solution is much more expensive, uses more power and is much slower than the core2 solution.

don't get me wrong, I love amd and am using an x2, but I don't think they should come out with half-assed solutions like this.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:13 PM   #5
Jiminator

another thing that is getting to be laughable is the power supply requirements. For these cpus and a couple of 8800s you could run a couple of refrigerators...
Old 12-02-2006, 05:29 AM   #6
IwantMORE

I used to love AMD but I think Intel has a better roadmap with it's more power per watt policy than ADM's 600W processors. One tester said it was the loudest machine they had ever tested.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:10 AM   #7
peoplessi

I do not love either AMD or Intel. Have had systems in the past that have AMD and Intel CPU's. To me, better value is the key, currently it is Intel that delivers. Fanboyism is disease that clouds one's judgement. And the markets we all buy our stuff from are: marginal. OEM markets are the place where the money flows. Intel is bigger GPU maker than nVidia or ATI.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:05 PM   #8

I read a few reviews that seem to point out that AMD hasn't quite "got it" this time. 600W for the CPU alone? Not to mention it apparently sounds like a jet engine when you turn it on. The speed isn't even better than the Core 2 Duo.

I honestly think Intel has this generation, at least for now. If I were personally building a PC today (which I'm not) I'd get an Intel. Whether or not that is true in 6 months time is another story.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:52 AM   #9
peoplessi

Yes, Intel has the generation at this point. But AMD 4x4 isn't a direct competitor to C2D, K8L architechture is, and that is due out 2007 Q2 - 2008. You can read more about it on wikipedia for example.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:23 PM   #10
ZuljinRaynor

So they both have half-asses things right now. Intel's Quad-Core is just 2 dual cores stuffed together, and AMD is just getting something out to give a choice... a pretty high requirements one.

Core 2 Duo has bascially owned the old AMD CPUs but their Quad-Core is too messy for me to call it nice.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoplessi View Post
Yes, Intel has the generation at this point. But AMD 4x4 isn't a direct competitor to C2D, K8L architechture is, and that is due out 2007 Q2 - 2008. You can read more about it on wikipedia for example.
Well no, but the point is that these are their best offering at the moment and will be compared. When the new K8 comes it will no doubt blow Core 2 away, but god only knows if Intel is already anticipating that with their own upgrade.

Thats why tech is so fun to watch, a leader never remains a leader for long.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:42 PM   #12
8IronBob

If only a Cyrix chip can come back with a 16-core processor in the next five years...
Old 12-03-2006, 05:20 PM   #13
FireFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
So they both have half-asses things right now. Intel's Quad-Core is just 2 dual cores stuffed together, and AMD is just getting something out to give a choice... a pretty high requirements one.

Core 2 Duo has bascially owned the old AMD CPUs but their Quad-Core is too messy for me to call it nice.
How is it messy? It's socket compatible with the Core 2s and performance is excellent.

John Carmack
Old 12-03-2006, 06:04 PM   #14
tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
How is it messy? It's socket compatible with the Core 2s and performance is excellent.
..and it doesnt require a significant amount of retooling to produce them. It can increase yield rate as you dont have to throw away all four cores if one of them goes bad durring manufacturing.

You get all the performance out of the four cores, why does it matter how they're arranged? I just dont get what warrants the critisizm.

Intel will most likely put all four cores on one die when they go 45nm. When that happens, they'll most likely have a chip with 8 cores and two dies. AMD would be smart to follow suit.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:15 PM   #15
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
It's messy in that it's not built from the ground up as a true quad core. It's just two dual cores smushed on one chip. That's what I'm talking about.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:24 PM   #16

You know its actually a scary thought that the FX-70 is here.....considering my chip is the FX-53. I feel very outdated now. Oh well, she's still going pretty strong.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:29 PM   #17
ZuljinRaynor

I got a FX-53 hiding as an AMD 4000+. It's fine.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:30 PM   #18

I *could* overclock it, but knowing my luck I would only cause problems. The small increase in performance just wouldn't be worth it.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:20 PM   #19
Ecmaster76

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony View Post
..and it doesnt require a significant amount of retooling to produce them. It can increase yield rate as you dont have to throw away all four cores if one of them goes bad durring manufacturing.
Thats true, although the packaging procedure probably had to be revamped a lot more than you would think.

One the other hand I'm not totally sure either AMD or Intel through away chips with defective cores.

I am pretty sure Intel can disable one of Conroe's cores to produce a Core 2 Solo or Celeron or whatever (since Yonah could can do it).

I would bet money AMD can because their current dual core cpus are completely modular. The cores do not share cache at all.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:14 AM   #20
IHerman
Well, from what I've read, it's slower, about twice as power hungry and not all that overclockable (which I don't care about though).

So no, AMD does not do it again.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:49 AM   #21
FireFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
It's messy in that it's not built from the ground up as a true quad core. It's just two dual cores smushed on one chip. That's what I'm talking about.
Yes, and that will have very little effect on performance, so from the perspective of the consumer there's really no need to be concerned about it.

John Carmack
Old 12-05-2006, 01:47 PM   #23
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Yes, and that will have very little effect on performance, so from the perspective of the consumer there's really no need to be concerned about it.
How do we know that it'll have very little effect on performance?
Old 12-06-2006, 10:31 AM   #24
FireFly

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2005/11/07...uk/page10.html

John Carmack