Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-28-2007, 07:22 PM   #41
Hudson

Re: AMD Phenom Reviews... Worse than Penryn?
Oh wow this random internet guy is going to shut down AMD

[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Old 11-29-2007, 12:49 AM   #42
Zero

I am still curious about this.. because if you don't need a new mobo for say 2009 that would be a huge benefit.. I just don't know if the performance cut is worth it..

See I have always been a fan of AMD's hardware...

PROS:
Pins are on the CPU (easier to install)
Upgradeable CPU's for longer due to spider
Less expensive for the CPU and overall upgrades
1200 MHz bus
L3 cache
SSE4A instruction set

CONS:
Slower performance
65nm core

I look at these and say AMD is the winner here, because my next rig, will not be strictly for gaming, If games work they work, my next rig will be solely Linux based and will be used for work more then games, so AMD's new product has some interesting features that sound appealing to me.

I don't see the Linux gaming world taking off, (if it does yay) so long term upgrades seem more valuable to me. I don't need the fastest processor because most of my programs I will be compiling myself seeing how I built my entire OS from scratch using SSE4A instructions for X.org and KDE4 should give me good results. This means these programs will be optimized for my chipset only which will allow for the extra 13% of power back (or atleast I am hoping, my X2 +4400 gives me somewhere around 10% performance increase when I compile everything so I am hoping with 4 cores and more power I can get 13%. But who know it could be slower.. only time will tell really.)
Old 11-29-2007, 08:39 AM   #43
8IronBob

I'm gonna have to say that even tho AMD is easier to work with, it may wait for 2009 before I build again.
Just need to see what their next generation after Phenom will do.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:38 AM   #44
8IronBob

Breaking News... Black Edition Phenom 9600 Announced:

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-bit Labs - AMD Readies “Black Edition” Phenom Processor, Phenom FX May Face Further Delay.
AMD Preps AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition Chip as Phenom FX Slips

Category: CPU

by Anton Shilov

[ 11/28/2007 | 12:07 PM ]

Advanced Micro Devices said at a presentation of its new platform in Japan that although it will not be able to offer any high-end AMD Phenom FX processors for many months from now, it will unveil “Black Edition” of its AMD Phenom 9600 chip that will allow easy overclocking capabilities already in December.

AMD Phenom processor 9600 Black Edition will operate at 2.30GHz clock-speed, 2MB shared L3 cache and 512KB dedicated L2 cache per core and will have support for dual-channel PC2-8500 (DDR2 1066MHz), just like the typical AMD Phenom 9600 chip. However, the Black Edition processor has unlocked clock multiplier, which allows enthusiasts to clock the new chip higher than 2.30GHz without any issues. If the roadmap that AMD recently unveiled in Japan is correct, then AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition is due in December, 2007.

The customizable clock multiplier and auto-adjustable memory frequency of the new chip enables amateurs and value-conscious enthusiasts to maximize the performance of their desktop computers without substantial hassles. Typically enthusiasts have to increase base HyperTransport bus speed from default 200MHz, which eventually causes not only CPU clock-speed boost, but also alters HT bus and memory frequency, meaning that other components apart from the microprocessor also should be able to handle increased speeds. Previously customizable clock multiplier were only available on high-end AMD Athlon 64 FX processors that could retail for as much as $1000 per chip.

A slide that AMD demonstrated during AMD Phenom official launch in Japan.
Photo by Ascii.jp web-site

Earlier this month AMD said that it could not release any high-end AMD Phenom FX or even AMD Phenom processors clocked at 2.40GHz and above due to errata that causes system instability under high load. Even though the company said that the errata can be corrected by implementing a fix into BIOS of AMD Phenom-supporting mainboard, AMD itself has no plans to release current revision of Phenom at speeds beyond 2.30GHz. As a consequence, it is unclear whether AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition provides high overclocking potential without causing system instabilities or not.

AMD did not reveal pricing of the new central processing unit (CPU), but it will hardly be considerably more expensive than $283, the price of AMD Phenom 9600 chip in business quantities.

Separately, AMD reconsidered the release timeframe of its AMD Phenom FX processors as well as AMD Phenom 8000-series triple-core chips. If earlier it was claimed that the novelties will emerge in Q1 2008, then now AMD slides imply that the new CPUs will be available only in the first half of 2008, which typically would mean that the new chips are only projected to emerge sometime in Q2, a massive delay from initially announced Q4 2007 timeframe for the new high-end enthusiast platform called FASN8.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...her_Delay.html

EDIT: I feel that something like this can really compete dead on with the Q6600, with all the OCing bits. I'm wondering how far above 3 GHz this bad boy can go with the way they're talking here? Actually, now that I see it, it seems like the errata hasn't been corrected yet for high-end OCing, so it'll be tough to say if AMD will ever compete head on with Intel's quads before too long.
Last edited by 8IronBob; 11-30-2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:57 AM   #45
Jiminator

the chip does not overclock. not it doesn't overclock well, but it barely overclocks at all, so the black edition means nothing, just the same as it does for the last black edition (+200mhz, whoppie) this is why amd has the tri-core initiatives, to sell more chips with poor performing cores. That also brings to mind AMDs original dual chip quad core solution, along with the promise that they would be able to upgrade to 8 cores. suckers, all of them. good luck if you buy anything AMD.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:35 PM   #46
Zero

^^^
Actually the 8 core thing was not a lie, look at what socket it is Socket F what does spider allow? 8core CPU's if AMD makes them will proby be able to run on the Socket F platform, meaning AMD has not lied at all.

Even if were AM2 AMD said all CPU's to 2009 will work in an AM2 board without any problems.

Why do people always jump the gun when something looks like it might turn sour? Do you know how many times intel has promised shit, or done shit that totally made people hate them? I lost count.

And they might not Overclockwell, or so you think, you think all about the CPU MHz all the time, AMD's CPU will allow you to change the HYPER TRANSPORT frequency, this means not only does the CPU get a little faster, but the whole system gets a little boost.
Last edited by Zero; 11-30-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:17 PM   #47
Jiminator

overclocking the HT speed will not do anything for you, anyway its irrelevant. the HT speed is a fraction based on the memory frequency, the black editions don't need to oc the fsb for the boost. my last system was an amd. it was great at the time, I hope they can recover, as competition is good.