Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Non 3DR Game Discussion
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #201
KO Gilligan

Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederik Schreiber View Post
Our Pricing Strategy from the beginning was to supply content worth of a 60USD game, (20 level Singleplayer Campaign, Multiplayer, Modding Tools, DRM Free, etc), for a bargain price. We will never sell Rise of the Triad for 60USD. Not because we don't believe it's worth it, but because we believe Videogames of today, are way too expensive.
It's far fetched to act like your game has a $60 A-title value. The AI is hysterical, the levels aren't polished, the voice acting is students-in-media-class material, and things are rather buggy.

But don't worry about Damien, remember how he loved Aliens: Colonial Marines? The AI is hysterical, the levels aren't polished, the voice acting is students-in-media-class material, and things are rather buggy.
I still won't say your game is up to that caliber, but I wonder what their game cost to develop.

ROTT is a very fun game, and when the enemy has a leg sticking through a wall, it's funny and to be expected. When A:CM has an enemy wiggling and stuck half in the ceiling, it's just sad. I personally did not expect you to compete with the big boys.

I see Damien's post as quite flattering - as he is out of touch about what to expect on your budget, he thinks you should be making gold, and his opinions were hardened before he even got a chance to play it.

Keep up the good work, and I hope you make a ton of money and keep going down the road you are on. RoTT is obviously one of the best indie games in anyone's collection - that is something you can be proud of.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:13 AM   #202
crunchy superman

Anybody know if they have any intention of patching in a save system? Not sure I want it if checkpoints are all I'm gonna get.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #203
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
But don't worry about Damien, remember how he loved Aliens: Colonial Marines?
Where did I say I "loved" A:CM?
Nowhere. Nor did I ever post anywhere (be it these forums of GBX) what my honest thoughts on the game were... as I didn't feel it was even worth stating.

And, I'm not "out of touch" on what to expect for a 15 dollar price tag or budget title. I'm also not blinded by nostalgia because "ITS ROTT!"... a series I have no nostalgic memories for.
KO, you like it, great. But don't try and explain why I don't to Fresch. I don't like it simply because I don't like it.
I didn't expect Gold. Honestly, I had no expectations.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 08-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #204
crunchy superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
Honestly, I had no expectations.

Quote:
While I've said it before, I'll say it again.
I think it looks bad. Like a bad UT3 with a lazy Castle Wolfenstein copy... and bad lighting.
Quote:
Was trying to find a polite way to say "meh"...
But I give up.
Quote:
Yes, the gibs and blood in general look awful.
Quote:
Those achievements look so fecking awful.
Quote:
The more I see of this, the less I want it. And the achievement list is just terrible. It's playing to the lowest form of idiot humor with way too much nostalgia thrown in.
Quote:
Playing ROTT is like watching ice melt. Either running or walking. It's a horribly dull and tedious game.
Quote:
I'd rather put 15 bucks towards something I know I'll enjoy as opposed to something there's a slim chance I may have a little bit of fun with.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #205
KO Gilligan

Quote:
KO, you like it, great. But don't try and explain why I don't to Fresch. I don't like it simply because I don't like it.
Fair enough.... Sorry

I did think you were a little rough on what I think was a good effort on their part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy superman View Post
Anybody know if they have any intention of patching in a save system? Not sure I want it if checkpoints are all I'm gonna get.
The checkpoint system is combined with a game that has giant meat grinder type traps that you can accidently walk right into. There are floor traps you'll innocently walk right into. It is a frustrating combination. If you have a real dislike for a lack of game saves in other games, you'll really hate it in this one. There's one level where the spikey walls are running in a giant room with little rooms around it, and you see them easily, but you know you're bound to back into one, or forget they are there while you are resolving the puzzle like steps to get the room cleared - then it turns out there's even more things to do in there than I expected....
I was in there for a while, then I was shooting up an enemy and backed right into that bouncy spikey wall... LOL

So big props for actually having an old school room like that - the game is a hoot...
the lack of saves... I guess it helps build adrenaline
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 08-26-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #206
Thief

I can't believe any of you still argue with Damien, but I suppose it is something to do.
This is an internet forum, and he is by far, BY FAR, the proudest person I've never met. Every post that's not replying to someone who agreed with him on something he proudly stated (and even then) is peppered with his unwavering pride. All the way through.

You'll find his scattered posts in threads about games he claims to have "absolutely zero interest in" (pretty much anything that isn't an FPS or 3rd person action title) proudly stating how little interest he has in the game, how he couldn't care less about the game. In other words...contributing nothing to the discussion except his booming pride. READ MY POST AND FEEL. MY. PRIDE., which of course he sees as an extremely worthy contribution. But wait, even in threads of a type of game he likes, but claims to have little to no interest in, that he couldn't care less about (BioShock Infinite), his pride posts are everywhere, yet, within a week (give or take) of the game's release he had already dropped $70 on it and beaten it.

Try humility once in a while, even for something as fruitless as gaming...might make you a more joyful person.
We choose our profession in defiance of the greed of the monarchy. We will not live for the sake of taxes to fatten the nobles' pockets. We choose to live the only life available to those who would truly be free. We are Thieves.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #207
ZuljinRaynor

This game is bad though.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #208
Superczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
This game is bad though.
Beyond bad...

And this:

Quote:
You would think that as a "Representative" of 3D Realms, who has a big part in this game, and our other games, you would be a bit more supportive.
We have a lot of fans who loves the game, and it's a product created truly in the spirit of 3D Realms and Apogee.
What a crock of shit.

Quote:
We have a lot of fans who loves the game
Uh-huh... http://steamcharts.com/app/217140#All
At the time of this post, there are more people playing DNF than ROTT:R, and there are more people playing godawful shit like WarZ and E.Y.E as well.

Quote:
ROTT is the first game in a series of titles
God forbid anyone allows you to ruin anymore classics...
Last edited by Superczar; 08-26-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #209
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superczar View Post

God forbid anyone allows you to ruin anymore classics...
Yes, their incompetence in being consistent to the vision will certainly be an obstacle to the IP's chance for a major motion picture.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #210
Superczar

Quote:
Yes, their incompetence in being consistent to the vision will certainly be an obstacle to the IP's chance for a major motion picture.
Quote:
It's far fetched to act like your game has a $60 A-title value. The AI is hysterical, the levels aren't polished, the voice acting is students-in-media-class material, and things are rather buggy.

RoTT is obviously one of the best indie games in anyone's collection - that is something you can be proud of.
So they should be proud of making a game that by your own definition is a half-assed mess?
Old 08-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #211
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superczar View Post
So they should be proud of making a game that by your own definition is a half-assed mess?
You throw up a link to the Steam player numbers... did you compare those numbers to INDIE shooters? The typical Indie game has several hundred players on release, and then a small handful soon after - it's not unusual for the number to drop to 10 or 12 in the long run.

I consider this an indie game (sorry your beloved franchise went down that road).
The other Indie shooters are not as good.
As far as Steam stats; I dunno, but I see one of my Steam friends is playing it right now, and I don't have a lot of Steam friends.

In the relative sense of things, when Fred Schreiber says that a lot of fans love the game, I can see it might be true. It's wanky and amateur compared to an EA title, but I really do enjoy playing it, and I'm so sick of playing straight line corridor crawlers, it's a total breath of fresh air for me.
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 08-26-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #212
Superczar

Quote:
You throw up a link to the Steam player numbers... did you compare those numbers to INDIE shooters? The typical Indie game has several hundred players on release, and then a small handful soon after - it's not unusual for the number to drop to 10 or 12 in the long run.

I consider this an indie game (sorry your beloved franchise went down that road).
The other Indie shooters are not as good.
As far as Steam stats; I dunno, but I see one of my Steam friends is playing it right now, and I don't have a lot of Steam friends.

In the relative sense of things, when Fred Schreiber says that a lot of fans love the game, I can see it might be true. It's wanky and amateur compared to an EA title, but I really do enjoy playing it, and I'm so sick of playing straight line corridor crawlers, it's a total breath of fresh air for me.
Your post doesn't even answer what you quoted from me... you completely avoided answering it.

And I did put up the WarZ, its Indie, its crap, and a lot more people are playing it than ROTT:R, same with Killing Floor (which is at least a lot better overall than ROTT:R) and Guncraft. You act like no one on the planet outside these forums even knows about ROTT:R, even though it was pasted on the main Steam Storefront page for quite a while.
Last edited by Superczar; 08-26-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:23 AM   #213
KO Gilligan

Have you tried Tripwire's The Ball? Great game Tripwire (Killing Floor dev) is a great studio with 17 retail products on Steam. I play Killing Floor occasionally, but it's a different genre with a different following, and I don't really think it's better. I didn't expect you to compare Steam online attendance in RoTT to Zombie co-op games or the Minecraft crowd pleaser... I wonder what the non-Steam comparisons are like...

But I'm probably on a whole different level regarding what I think a successful indie product is - I bought and played Legend of Grimrock for gawds sakes.

...and if I seemed to imply that people don't know about RoTT, that's not my belief. RoTT was blessed with promo deals from NVidia card manufacturers and major front page placement with several digital distro sites. It's still getting great product positioning.
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 08-27-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:53 AM   #214
hellchicken
So I bought the game.

And it is just terrible.

Why won't the pain stop?

Old 08-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #215
KO Gilligan

eeghads...it's like Butthurt Island around here

well, I think it's a fun game
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 08-27-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #216
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Funny isn't it?

How nostalgia turns things from a normal forum discussion to an odd argument that seems really out of balance?
People continue to talk and post in threads on other games they have no interest in, yet, I do it here... it's fueled by pride (which makes no fecking sense)...

And, Thief (not sure when/how I managed to irk you.. but okay) did you happen to miss how I was completely against BioShock: Infinite... got the game on sale and played it. Only to say afterwards how much I loved it, how wrong I was before...

Yep. Damn pride getting in the way.
Seriously though... proud? That actually bugs me. The one thing I've never be accused of being... proud.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 09-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #217
KO Gilligan

GMG25-R7GA8-XTUCY

The above code works for -25% on many of the titles over at GreenManGaming.Com
Including ROTT for $11.25
Old 01-08-2014, 03:37 PM   #218
KO Gilligan

Talking Re: ROTT: The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned!
Interceptor came up with this ridiculous riddle for their forum - and I keep failing it.

ROTT featured a DRUNK Missile, Firebomb, and Flamewall.
Perhaps I'm not a real enough fan for them

CONFIRMATION OF REGISTRATION

Separate ROTT weapons from other weapons
Please drag the options to the correct list, to avoid automated registrations.
Other Weapons

Firebomb
FAL
Flamewall
.50 cal Sniper Rifle
AA-12
D.R.U.N.K. Missile
ROTT Weapons

Update - yes that's it - you just use the three weapons - WTF