Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem Forever
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2010, 02:26 AM   #721
OttoMoto

OttoMoto's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
pjVgt

"Majority of gamers". DNF and DN3D are games for adults. Now name me one adult gamer who know's nothing about DukeNukem? And show me that adult gamer who's not interested in kicking ass being an old-school movie hero? (if you don't believe in old-school heroes watch Expendables and it's success) Besides there are new games that takes ppl attention and some of them becomes very popular. From scratch. What makes you think that new game bout Nukem can't do that?

Yeah and remember dude - DNF is not another shooter. For example - compare new Crysis trailers with old DNF one. Even if they'll have the same interactivity (i doubt it)(DNF has much more)(cuz George promissed much) gamers will get a real interesting game, not just a clone. And not just some new levels of DN3D with upgraded graphics!

Well...if you don't like DNF as a game then i guess nobody will be glad to share their hype with you anymore. As someone said - what are you doing here?
OttoMoto is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 02:27 AM   #722
Steve

Steve's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
He can be here and post if he wants. I don't agree with him, but he has the right to post.
Steve is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 02:39 AM   #723
JobivanHiob

JobivanHiob's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashgibber View Post
Greetings.

I have investigated the situation closely with a crack team of scientists flown in from all over the world, the best people
from their respective fields joined me to help solve this mystery. We also recieved help from the FBI, CIA, DEA, MIA and
Chuck Norris. I have decided to share of this investigation with you.

What follows are log entries from the investigation during the days after the rumors surfaced and leading up to today.


August 12th:

As soon as the rumors surfaced we began collecting soil samples around both 3DR's HQ and Gearbox's HQ, I don't know
what good that will do but you can never be too thorough.

We put Gearbox's HQ under surveillance, as well as having both Pitchford and Broussard tailed at all times.

-Slash


August 13th

Our tail on Broussard reports that they spotted Broussard "marking his territory" in the immediate area surrounding Gearbox's HQ.

Including the following locations:

Gearbox's HQ
Steake 'n Shake
Original Pancake House

This is compelling evidence to can be seen as related to what is stated in the rumors. Though we're not satisfied yet.

-Slash


August 14th:

The test results from the soil samples arrived and proved to be very interesting. For some reason the soil contained trace
ammounts of Duke Nukem, this baffled the scientists as this makes no sense. Have we discovered a new chemical element?

-Slash


August 15th:

After several days of surveillance turning up nothing we decided to send in a spy. Chuck Norris quickly volunteered for the job
and went in under the guise of a pizza delivery guy. He soon realized that this wasn't fooling anyone, and that for some reason
everyone in there was dressed up in ninja outfits. Chuck decided not to be stupid today and legged it.

In retrospect, it was kind of stupid putting such a responsibility in a bad actor. What were we thinking?

-Slash


August 16th:

Our surveillance team reported that a couple of Take-Two lawyers arrived at Gearbox's HQ but quickly left after failing to work out the
complex and sophisticated mechanics of opening a door.

-Slash


August 17th:

Our scientists have extracted all the Duke Nukem from the soil samples, it turns out that Dukium (as they named it) possess an extreme explosive power.
I now suspect that the reason DNF was cancelled wasn't lack of funding, but that Duke accidentally lit himself on fire and exploded, taking most of the
development team with him. To cover this up they covered it up and told the public that they had to let the team go. The rest of the team saw fit to
point out that this idea is in fact retarded, and now some of them refers to me as "a bumbling idiot" and "numbskull" behind my back. They are starting
to question how I got the most powerful government in the world to lend me the time and the resources of its intelligence agencies, as well as Chuck Norris.

-Slash


August 18th:

Not much happened today. Except that Randford noticed our surveillance team that was tailing him. He said "Get off my lawn or I'm calling the co...
Wait a minute! Didn't I see you two idiots earlier today, are you following me?! Yeah! I saw you yesterday too! That's it! I'm getting my gun!".

We decided to temporarily suspend the tail on Randford for a couple of days. Not related.

-Slash



There's nothing more to report at the moment. We will continue to monitor the situation.


I like it!
__________________
Stay up to date with http://dukewatch.blogspot.com for the UNEXPECTED and PREPARE YOURSELF for SHOCK and AWESOME on Penny Arcade EXPO from September 3-5!
Onebullit: "If DNF comes out in 2010 i will buy 2 copies and send you one."
pjVgt regading DNF at PAX:"I would seriously shit my pants and pre-order three copies - one will be sent to Jobi"
JobivanHiob is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 02:48 AM   #724
OttoMoto

OttoMoto's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
And about PAX. I think thats gonna be as simple as that: "first of all: yeah guys we r workin' on new Duke title. Second: prepare for schok and awe - Borderlands2!!!"

Actually i'd like to see some shots of DukeBegins too. Or maybe some details about gameplay... I don't understand why they keep that silence-strategy. Yeah in case of DNF - it's one of a kind with a brand new gameplay features (which may be stealed). Will DukeBegins evolve first-person genre? If not - show us some info at last.
OttoMoto is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 03:03 AM   #725
JobivanHiob

JobivanHiob's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
I wonder how much of the interactivity they cut out of DNF! I will be minor dissapointed when I can't write email on a pc and get a real email back! Or putting food or other stuff into microwaves. Those kind of things!
__________________
Stay up to date with http://dukewatch.blogspot.com for the UNEXPECTED and PREPARE YOURSELF for SHOCK and AWESOME on Penny Arcade EXPO from September 3-5!
Onebullit: "If DNF comes out in 2010 i will buy 2 copies and send you one."
pjVgt regading DNF at PAX:"I would seriously shit my pants and pre-order three copies - one will be sent to Jobi"
JobivanHiob is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 03:21 AM   #726
Altered Reality

Altered Reality's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Quote:
Majority of gamers now nothing about Duke and dont care - for them it is the same as Alex Kidd - prehistory not worth mentioning.
And the totality of gamers know nothing about new IPs as well - but if the games based on them are good, they sell well. You are implying that it's necessary to remember past Duke games to enjoy an eventual good new Duke game, but it's not so.

Besides, it's not even true that only adult gamers know Duke Nukem. One of my friends is 14, and one of his favorite games is Duke3D. Guess what he said when I showed him Duke Nukem Manhattan Project for the first time: "This is cool! Why don't they make more games like this?"
And before you say "it's just one person": a single counterexample is enough to invalidate a claim.
__________________
[...] We view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time. (Gabe Newell, Valve)
I'm the worst enemy in film-making and a completely talentless idiot. (Uwe Boll)
Faith is why you are wrong. (Crosma)
Last edited by Altered Reality; 08-19-2010 at 03:28 AM.
Altered Reality is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 03:21 AM   #727
Steve

Steve's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
If it was already coded, I would suck if it was taken out (if gearbox do indeed have the game)
Steve is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 03:33 AM   #728
Slashgibber

Slashgibber's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Why do people assume, that if Gearbox is finnishing the game, that they have complete creative control of it? If they are finnishing it, it will be under the direction of 3DR because 3DR still owns the IP. They will have to do what they are told to do, because 3DR will be their clients. They do what they are hired to do.
Slashgibber is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 04:33 AM   #729
JobivanHiob

JobivanHiob's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
you have been reported.

The e-mail thingy i read in a pc gamer preview some years ago. Maybe this was taken out due to cutting is shipping.
__________________
Stay up to date with http://dukewatch.blogspot.com for the UNEXPECTED and PREPARE YOURSELF for SHOCK and AWESOME on Penny Arcade EXPO from September 3-5!
Onebullit: "If DNF comes out in 2010 i will buy 2 copies and send you one."
pjVgt regading DNF at PAX:"I would seriously shit my pants and pre-order three copies - one will be sent to Jobi"
JobivanHiob is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 05:00 AM   #730
Kyphros
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashgibber View Post
Gearbox is finnishing the game
Gearbox won't make DNF more finnish. And it probably won't be released with finnish text/voices.

Anyway, even if Gearbox are clients, they aren't 3DR, and so will put some of their style in the game. Even if Mr. Broussard orders them to do what he wants and only what he wants, it will be done but it will be done according to their methods. That's the important point here.
Kyphros is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 05:27 AM   #731
crunchy superman

crunchy superman's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashgibber View Post
Gearbox is finnishing the game
Remedy will be crushed. lol.
__________________

crunchy superman is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 05:32 AM   #732
Slashgibber

Slashgibber's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyphros View Post
Anyway, even if Gearbox are clients, they aren't 3DR, and so will put some of their style in the game.
That's not necessarily true.

The game is already a long way into being finished, meaning that the game already has it's particular style established. Any good game dev can conform to an already established style and go from there. Which Gearbox can do and already has as they did, not just one, but two expansions for the original Half-Life, yet still managing to conform to the visual, atmospheric and gameplay styles that Valve had created with the original.

Sure they did it with their own flair, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but that doesn't mean they are going to completely change the style and essence of the game completely.

It has also been mentioned in another thread that there are 6 devs at Gearbox that used to work on DNF, and they were all in some kind of lead position. I have faith in Gearbox that they will put these put these people to work on DNF, if Gearbox in fact are working on DNF. Which we don't know yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyphros View Post
Even if Mr. Broussard orders them to do what he wants and only what he wants, it will be done but it will be done according to their methods. That's the important point here.
You are right that they will use their own methods, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they'll change the game because of it.

Now, I'm not saying that they won't change anything, because I don't know that. But it would be nave to assume that they will change it, because there is nothing to base those assumptions on.
Slashgibber is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 05:34 AM   #733
crunchy superman

crunchy superman's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Do we even know for sure that 3DR still owns the IP?
__________________

crunchy superman is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 05:36 AM   #734
ferran275

ferran275's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
He certainly did
Is it real? Or isn't it real? OMG RIGHT?!

Ehhh what's the problem now? I dragged out a selection so yeah, I didn't feel I needed the entire page, if it's really bothering you all so much I can get it again
ferran275 is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 05:54 AM   #735
Steve

Steve's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferran275 View Post
Ehhh what's the problem now? I dragged out a selection so yeah, I didn't feel I needed the entire page, if it's really bothering you all so much I can get it again
I thought the picture of bender stated that I was obviously joking


Steve is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 05:56 AM   #736
Altered Reality

Altered Reality's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy superman View Post
Do we even know for sure that 3DR still owns the IP?
If we search "Duke Nukem" on TESS, this is what we find:

Owner (REGISTRANT) APOGEE SOFTWARE, LTD. Action Entertainment, Inc., a Texas corporation LIMITED PARTNERSHIP TEXAS 1661NORTHWEST HWY. GARLAND TEXAS 75041

So yes, they still own the IP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyphros View Post
Anyway, even if Gearbox are clients, they aren't 3DR, and so will put some of their style in the game. Even if Mr. Broussard orders them to do what he wants and only what he wants, it will be done but it will be done according to their methods. That's the important point here.
If this is true, and their methods are "get the game done", I approve.
__________________
[...] We view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time. (Gabe Newell, Valve)
I'm the worst enemy in film-making and a completely talentless idiot. (Uwe Boll)
Faith is why you are wrong. (Crosma)
Last edited by Altered Reality; 08-19-2010 at 05:59 AM.
Altered Reality is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 06:04 AM   #737
Slashgibber

Slashgibber's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Reality View Post
If this is true, and their methods are "get the game done", I approve.
What does that even mean?
Slashgibber is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 06:08 AM   #738
ferran275

ferran275's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I thought the picture of bender stated that I was obviously joking




Ahh

Obviously
ferran275 is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 06:12 AM   #739
KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy superman View Post
Do we even know for sure that 3DR still owns the IP?
All will be revealed soon. ALL.
KaiserSoze is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 06:15 AM   #740
Kristian Joensen

Kristian Joensen's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
You know that how?
Kristian Joensen is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 06:19 AM   #741
KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
You know that how?
Because the force is strong with me.

That's how!
KaiserSoze is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 06:25 AM   #742
crunchy superman

crunchy superman's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
So are these the droids we're looking for?
__________________

crunchy superman is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 07:10 AM   #743
1sors1
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Good news, but i am starting to hate GB since he doesnt say sh1t. Wtf is a problem posting a simple yes or no on the forums of the only left fans of your fking game?!?!

Sh1tty!
Last edited by 1sors1; 08-19-2010 at 07:27 AM.
1sors1 is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 07:13 AM   #744
Commando Nukem

Commando Nukem's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserSoze View Post
Because im full of sh*t, dude.

See what I did there? Yeah.
__________________
Open Maw Productions
Last edited by Commando Nukem; 08-19-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Commando Nukem is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #745
Edli

Edli's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
You censor "shitty" but don't censor "shit?" lolwut.

Anyways, it's his decision on whether or not to post things like that. Although he really should talk a LITTLE bit more at least, and no more of this "omg he farted its a sign" crap.
Edli is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #746
1sors1
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edli View Post
You censor "shitty" but don't censor "shit?" lolwut.

Anyways, it's his decision on whether or not to post things like that. Although he really should talk a LITTLE bit more at least, and no more of this "omg he farted its a sign" crap.
Fixed censoring.
1sors1 is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 07:33 AM   #747
Edli

Edli's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sors1 View Post
Fixed censoring.
I'm just messing with you
Edli is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 07:44 AM   #748
KO Gilligan

KO Gilligan's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
He can be here and post if he wants. I don't agree with him, but he has the right to post.
I don't recall anyone saying he doesn't have a right to post. It is a valid question - look at his posts - what is he doing here if he KNOWS Duke Nukem Forever will never come out, that there is only a handful of loser fans, and that everything about 3DRealms sucks?

It might be "permissable" trolling, I don't know, but it is trolling nonetheless. It is reasonable to wonder what the motivation is.
KO Gilligan is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #749
ferran275

ferran275's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sors1 View Post
Good news, but i am starting to hate GB since he doesnt say sh1t. Wtf is a problem posting a simple yes or no on the forums of the only left fans of your fking game?!?!

Sh1tty!
The way I think about it is this: 3D Realms is a group of game creators, they're not an advertising agency, they don't have a PR dept (for those that don't know, Public Relations) so the only people talking to the public (us) is anyone who feels like talking to us. The way things are right now they have probably taken a stance of "no talking at all" because it is just simpler that way. If they had a PR person, that persons sole purpose, and their 40 hours would be talking to us, pointing us in the right direction, debunking rumors that are not true, etc, they obviously don't have that right now
ferran275 is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #750
KO Gilligan

KO Gilligan's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferran275 View Post
The way I think about it is this: 3D Realms is a group of game creators, they're not an advertising agency, they don't have a PR dept (for those that don't know, Public Relations) so the only people talking to the public (us) is anyone who feels like talking to us. The way things are right now they have probably taken a stance of "no talking at all" because it is just simpler that way. If they had a PR person, that persons sole purpose, and their 40 hours would be talking to us, pointing us in the right direction, debunking rumors that are not true, etc, they obviously don't have that right now
It's not just a matter of having the right - they might have imposed the gag on themselves voluntarily. I think they've agreed to it with the publisher, but we don't know.

Whatever the reason, they don't get involved with the trade shows anymore as well. After their long history on this they want to leave ane hype-making/rumor control to the publishers.

When Scott said E3 was irrelevant, he also said that such things were up to the publishers. Meaning shows like PAX, and press releases in general were out of their hands.

The official 3DR word is "WID", not
"within months before it's done, we'll discuss the status of the game"

People who come here and rage that George should tell us something don't even realize that he's spent years telling us more than he should, and probably more than he agreed too.
KO Gilligan is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #751
ferran275

ferran275's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
It's not just a matter of having the right - they might have imposed the gag on themselves voluntarily. I think they've agreed to it with the publisher, but we don't know.

Whatever the reason, they don't get involved with the trade shows anymore as well. After their long history on this they want to leave ane hype-making/rumor control to the publishers.

When Scott said E3 was irrelevant, he also said that such things were up to the publishers. Meaning shows like PAX, and press releases in general were out of their hands.

The official 3DR word is "WID", not
"within months before it's done, we'll discuss the status of the game"

People who come here and rage that George should tell us something don't even realize that he's spent years telling us more than he should, and probably more than he agreed too.
true dat

werd
ferran275 is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #752
Valdsator

Valdsator's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobivanHiob View Post
I wonder how much of the interactivity they cut out of DNF! I will be minor dissapointed when I can't write email on a pc and get a real email back! Or putting food or other stuff into microwaves. Those kind of things!
Does anyone else feel like DNF won't be very interactive? From the leaked footage, I didn't see any interactivity, and with all these engine changes, and better graphics, 3DR might not have had time to put in the amount of interactivity Duke3D had.
Valdsator is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 08:33 AM   #753
KO Gilligan

KO Gilligan's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
I just want to be able to make it alive to a telephone where I enter the number for "order pizza" and it actually charges my credit card, and calls the Pizza Hut delivery for me... all games should have that interactive feature.
KO Gilligan is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #754
ferran275

ferran275's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
I just want to be able to make it alive to a telephone where I enter the number for "order pizza" and it actually charges my credit card, and calls the Pizza Hut delivery for me... all games should have that interactive feature.
HAH that would be BAD AAAASSSSSSS
ferran275 is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #755
Kristian Joensen

Kristian Joensen's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
"
The official 3DR word is "WID", not
"within months before it's done, we'll discuss the status of the game""

WID = Release date policy, NOT marketing plane or policy about length of hype period. Hype period is something George actually addressed on Formspring recently:

Quote:
When do you think is the right time in the development cycle of a game to release screenshots?

At least a year out, if not a little longer. Basically, as soon as your game looks great and is representative of what you will ship. You need at least a year these days to properly launch a new IP.

You need time to build a fan community and time for people to learn about your game. You can't do that in 3 months or even 6 months. The biggest game releases all start by showing their game > 1 year from release.

The worst publisher marketing is where you don't see much from a game until 6 months out, then they spam the press 3 months out. That's ABC marketing and it usually fails, because there's no time to really build a community or awareness of the game.
Obviously the above doesn't apply unchanged to DNF as it isn't a new IP and since it has had a unique development history. But still there is no way that any of the parties involved (if this rumor is true) 3DR, TT or GBX while just go "It's done". I have no idea were that notion comes from, but for several years people on these forums have suggested trailers and/or website updates with "It's done" and/or a release date as the way to unveil DNF, but 3D Realms has never had that intention and doing so would be plain crazy and hurt sales a lot because of lack of awareness and retailers refusing stock a game without any hype period.
Kristian Joensen is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #756
cof_3pc

cof_3pc's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
What is this? New registrants come in and talk shit day?
__________________
RAWR! I'm in the Duketard Guild, because I am a lvl 70 bad ass. "Eat shit and die!"
cof_3pc is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 09:42 AM   #757
ferran275

ferran275's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by cof_3pc View Post
What is this? New registrants come in and talk shit day?
lol, its just that all the new hype has stirred the up until now stagnant pot of Duke Soup
ferran275 is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #758
KO Gilligan

KO Gilligan's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Joensen View Post

WID = Release date policy, NOT marketing plane or policy about length of hype period. Hype period is something George actually addressed on Formspring recently:



Obviously the above doesn't apply unchanged to DNF as it isn't a new IP and since it has had a unique development history. But still there is no way that any of the parties involved (if this rumor is true) 3DR, TT or GBX while just go "It's done". I have no idea were that notion comes from, but for several years people on these forums have suggested trailers and/or website updates with "It's done" and/or a release date as the way to unveil DNF, but 3D Realms has never had that intention and doing so would be plain crazy and hurt sales a lot because of lack of awareness and retailers refusing stock a game without any hype period.
"Length of Hype period"?
Considering he was talking about publishers (as you so eloquently note in your post as well), the WID statement applies perfectly. 3DRealms will talk about it when it's done. As Scott said, they are not promoting it, so E3 (as well as any promotional trade shows, and marketing mayhem) is "irrelevant".

As far as what George said, what the hell do his ramblings about new game promotion have to do with DNF? We won't hear it first here. Take2 will make an announcement (or endorse one), then we'll disect it to death. He's obviously having an opinion, as usual, about nothing that he's involved with. Nothing personnal about George, we all take the arm chair opinion approach on things.

Is that so hard to understand?
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 08-19-2010 at 10:24 AM.
KO Gilligan is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #759
alexgk

alexgk's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Just remember one thing: 3DR released media of the latest DNF build YEARS before the (later established) launch date. And that was just the beginning.

DNF might be one of the most controversial cases of gaming history, but still is a game, like many more. It needs its time to make presence among gamers worldwide. Sure, there are a lot of fans. However, that's no guarantee it will sell well. It's not like 100% of people who played DN3D will instantly buy it.

Hype is very important nowadays, to attract old and new consumers, that meaning money, which is 3DR's goal, as a game company.
__________________
Playable demo this year! Confirmed!!
Last edited by alexgk; 08-19-2010 at 11:12 AM.
alexgk is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #760
Dukefan24

Dukefan24's Avatar
Re: Rumor: Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever
Well, money is the goal to keep any company alive. However, creative companies like game/movie studios are definitely based on passion and talents to be succesfull. Otherwise, 3DRealms could've made a dull DNF game in less than a year just as easely, without any inspiration using Duke's popularity to sell (like what happens to Sonic games nowadays).
__________________
Dukefan24: Another addicted Duke Nukem fan in the world!
My Wii Friend Code: 8063 8131 9140 5518
My Website: Duke Nukem Stadium
Dukefan24 is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Tags
bacon is flying, duke is alive, t-rex approaching

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:39 AM.

Page generated in 0.24744010 seconds (100.00% PHP - 0% MySQL) with 17 queries

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Website is 1987-2014 Apogee Software, Ltd.
Ideas and messages posted here become property of Apogee Software Ltd.