Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Programming Forum
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #41
theHunted
Re: Questions about C/C++
I'd prolly suggest some more basic language than C(++/#) to start out programming or even creating a game. No matter how simple the game, its still gonna end up being a fairly big task that requires a big big load of knowledge in C(++/#). Why not try to create your first arkanoid clone in Visual Basic or Flash or something like that? This spares you a load of technical knowledge while still being fairly demanding.

As for Glut and OpenGL. Don't even get started with that unless you have a good and solid base in C(...). Or at least don't start out trying to create a game. Using Glut and OpenGL your goals for the first few weeks and months should be more like creating a rotating triangle of random colors. Even stuff like putting a single texture on a flat triangle is a fairly complex thing already in plain OpenGL. If your goal is to create a playable game then you should NOT get started with this imho. If you're into computer graphics and just wanna draw some funky non-interactive objects on screen it would be alright to use. Still it might not be the best choice for a total beginner at programming.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:23 PM   #42
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHunted View Post
I'd prolly suggest some more basic language than C(++/#) to start out programming or even creating a game.
I did take a couple of C programming classes in college, many years ago, before I switched majors. I never did anything with the knowledge, but there's still enough of it in my head that I'm not starting from complete scratch (pretty close to it, though). Also, I've made a couple of mods for EDuke32 in the last year that required lots of coding (see sig). The Duke scripting system bears little resemblance to C, of course, but the experience has trained me to think in terms of nested logical structures, algorithms, manipulating vars, etc.

Quote:
No matter how simple the game, its still gonna end up being a fairly big task that requires a big big load of knowledge in C(++/#). Why not try to create your first arkanoid clone in Visual Basic or Flash or something like that? This spares you a load of technical knowledge while still being fairly demanding.
The first game I have in mind actually does have some resemblance to Arkanoid, but I think it will be much more fun than Arkanoid without being any harder to program. However, I'm not going to begin that game until I have a better grasp of the basics. When I am ready, I'll make the game in stages.

Using Flash might not be a bad idea, not just because Flash is easier, but because it would allow me to embed the game in a web page, which could give it a larger audience. I would still want to learn C++ eventually, though.

DUKE NUKEM: ATTRITION
XP based weapon upgrades, progressive difficulty, and more.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:44 AM   #43
theHunted
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperThought View Post
I did take a couple of C programming classes in college, many years ago, before I switched majors. I never did anything with the knowledge, but there's still enough of it in my head that I'm not starting from complete scratch (pretty close to it, though).
Well that's definately gonna give you a headstart. The main problem I see is when people have to start out with the very basics like datatypes, function calls, parameter passing and stuff like that. Takes months before you are able to write useful functions yourself. And now a game consists of hundreds and thousands of those all tied together. I just think it would be a little too frustrating starting out with C and having the goal of a game in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperThought View Post
The first game I have in mind actually does have some resemblance to Arkanoid, but I think it will be much more fun than Arkanoid without being any harder to program...

Using Flash might not be a bad idea, not just because Flash is easier, but because it would allow me to embed the game in a web page, which could give it a larger audience. I would still want to learn C++ eventually, though.
Heh, you gotta love Arkanoid. I think every second guy who plans do create a game starts out with Arkanoid (including me)
Anyway, another advantage i see in Flash over OpenGL is that it seems to be more easy to get the graphics part look alright. Using low-level OpenGL (e.g. glut) you need to be both, a good programmer and a really good artist that is able to fake good looks with very little assets. And that's what I think can be quite frustrating.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:15 AM   #44
DeeperThought

Quote:
Anyway, another advantage i see in Flash over OpenGL is that it seems to be more easy to get the graphics part look alright.
I'm not sure what tools I need to get started with Flash. I was looking at this site. Any suggestions?

DUKE NUKEM: ATTRITION
XP based weapon upgrades, progressive difficulty, and more.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #45
Killd a ton

http://archives.seul.org/linuxgames/.../msg00019.html

thers a lot of good stuff on google when you do "glut vs sdl" :P

Duke 3D art to do list
New and improved.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:19 PM   #46
NetNessie

Only thing I know about C# is that my Java lecturers think that its was Microsoft's attempt at copying Java
Old 04-22-2007, 05:31 AM   #47
Killd a ton

in some wayes you can say that, the programs are processor independant, and for the most part uses a vertual machine to run, but I don't belive there will officialy be any framework for other systems such as mac or linux, currently thers a learning version for unix but that only runs command line programs and it's not alowed to use it for any thing other then education.
The only other existing is for Windows CE but it is a reduced instruction set so not every thing will automaticaly run on it.
That sayed theres a third party linux version but it isn't fully compatible.

Actualy when the developers aproched Bill Gates he compared it to Java.

Duke 3D art to do list
New and improved.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:21 AM   #48
8IronBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetNessie View Post
Only thing I know about C# is that my Java lecturers think that its was Microsoft's attempt at copying Java
C# taking after Java? Then why were J++ and J# developed for exactly the same reason?
Old 04-22-2007, 07:44 AM   #49
Killd a ton

tu further alienat regula java?

Duke 3D art to do list
New and improved.