Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Modifications
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-03-2006, 05:32 PM   #1
DeeperThought

projectile problem/question
This is about the age-old problem of getting the Devastator to fire a different projectile with correct left/right positioning.

I am trying to use EVENT_EGS to change the picnum of RPGs fired from the Devastator into the picnum of a different projectile. Unfortunately, when I change the picnum, the new projectile is frozen in place, as though it were spawned instead of fired. What am I doing wrong?

Oh, and Hendricks266: I tried using the method you posted in a different thread, and I couldn't get it to work. The eshot projectiles always come out on the right side and above

EDIT: I gave up on using the picnum method and tried a variant of the Hendrick266 method. For some reason, that method works when used in EVENT_GAME but not in EVENT_EGS. Maybe this is becuase EGS is too early and the projectile doesn't have the right values yet. What a bitch this has been.

DUKE NUKEM: ATTRITION
XP based weapon upgrades, progressive difficulty, and more.
Last edited by DeeperThought; 08-03-2006 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:42 PM   #2
Usurper

Re: projectile problem/question
Quote:
I am trying to use EVENT_EGS to change the picnum of RPGs fired from the Devastator into the picnum of a different projectile.
Are you doing this just to get the left/right positioning correct? I know it's not wikied, but I think PROJ_OFFSET can affect an RPG-style projectile's point of origin. I wonder if you couldn't just add to a var when holding down fire, and have userprojectiles with 2 different PROJ_OFFSET values fire dependent upon the var; have the var reset appropriately.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:50 PM   #3
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usurper
Are you doing this just to get the left/right positioning correct? I know it's not wikied, but I think PROJ_OFFSET can affect an RPG-style projectile's point of origin. I wonder if you couldn't just add to a var when holding down fire, and have userprojectiles with 2 different PROJ_OFFSET values fire dependent upon the var; have the var reset appropriately.
Thanks

I tried your suggestion, and it works better. I hated to have to rip out the code I had just written, but it was worth it, because the positioning is better now, and a couple of other minor glitches are eliminated. I must say, though, that the offset values required for PROJ_OFFSET are not what I expected. To avoid really bizarre results, it seems they have to be in multiples of 32 or something. Not only that, but to get the same visual offset for left and right, different numbers are required. I ended up using -128 for the left and 96 for the right.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:07 AM   #4
Usurper

Hmm. My guess is that 0 must be the semi-right-offset default of the RPG.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:38 AM   #5
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usurper
Hmm. My guess is that 0 must be the semi-right-offset default of the RPG.
Oh, and I didn't mention that lower numbers created a greater offset. With an offset of 8, it was coming out like 10 feet to my right. But believe me, getting the offsets right was a very minor quick problem compared to the other issues I've been having today.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:22 PM   #6
Hendricks266

Lightbulb Re: projectile problem/question
DeeperThought, that suggestion was for if you needed to replace the projectile with the old style of switching in your mod (a.k.a. Press the number key again). I use it in EVENT_GAME too. (in an ifaction 0 { } statement)

You need to put these lines in the code right before you set kickback_pic to 1:

Code:
getplayer[THISACTOR].hbomb_hold_delay TEMP
ifvare TEMP 0 { setplayer[THISACTOR].hbomb_hold_delay 1 }
ifvare TEMP 1 { setplayer[THISACTOR].hbomb_hold_delay 0 }
You can change TEMP to whatever var you want.

I believe TerminX said something about that in the old thread, too.
Last edited by Hendricks266; 08-05-2006 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #7
DeeperThought

You're right; I had already forgotten that hbomb_hold_delay is used for that (it's not the easiest thing to remember, since the var name has absolutely nothing to do with the Devastator). However, it is working perfectly now using another method, and I think the positioning is actually slightly better than what I would get with the hardcoded Devastator positioning.

Old 08-05-2006, 02:14 PM   #8
Hendricks266

It would probably only be good-looking for rockets, anyway.