Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Modifications
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-23-2006, 05:49 PM   #1
DeeperThought

Renaming input
I've heard that there's a command for re-naming the controls, so that I could change "LOOK UP" to be called "ALT FIRE" in the EDuke32 key configuration screen. Trouble is, I'm not sure what the command is (setinput?) and I don't know the syntax. I thought maybe it was like definequote but that made the game crash.

I'll make a Wiki entry for it as soon as I have the information and get it working

DUKE NUKEM: ATTRITION
XP based weapon upgrades, progressive difficulty, and more.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:59 PM   #2
TerminX

Re: renaming input
It's definegamefuncname, and it does work like definequote. Use underscores instead of spaces in the gamefunc name.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:14 PM   #3
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminX
It's definegamefuncname, and it does work like definequote. Use underscores instead of spaces in the gamefunc name.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. What happened is I tried using the definequote syntax with setinput. Bad idea. I didn't realize that setinput is something completely different and goes with getinput.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:36 PM   #4
DeeperThought

The command works fine, but when I use the command my mouse assignments don't get saved. Specifically, I set right mouse to alt-fire (a function that I renamed from LOOK UP) and when I exit and return right mouse is set to NONE.

Also, the first time I used it, the keyboard commands associated with the renamed functions had changed (not just the names). However, it did save the keyboard changes, unlike the mouse.

EDIT: I have now tested it with the latest snapshot and confirmed that the problem still exists.

Last edited by DeeperThought; 07-23-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:41 PM   #5
TerminX

The mouse thing is a bug, and I'm not sure that there's an easy way to fix it. The CON files need to be read before the cfg file in order to read the bindings for the new functions from the cfg, but the cfg needs to be read before the CON files in order for the startup window to function. As you can see, only one of these things can happen. I'll see if I can think of a decent way to work around it.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:56 PM   #6
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminX
The mouse thing is a bug, and I'm not sure that there's an easy way to fix it. The CON files need to be read before the cfg file in order to read the bindings for the new functions from the cfg, but the cfg needs to be read before the CON files in order for the startup window to function. As you can see, only one of these things can happen. I'll see if I can think of a decent way to work around it.
What if it reads the cfg first, then the CON files, then, if it turns out that CON files contain new functions, it reads the cfg again?

Old 07-23-2006, 09:14 PM   #7
TerminX

It already does that; the keyboard function names wouldn't work otherwise. Anyways, I think I found a way to make it do what I want.